2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago
rjv wrote: 4 months ago Current record
For what it's worth.....
Quinnipiac 9-3
Bradley 7-5
High Point 10-4
Those teams are missing

Luis K
Zek M
Jaden H

They are doing better without them !
Wonder if those guys miss the winning?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I just wanted to drop in here briefly to wish everyone Happy Holidays!

I sincerely appreciate all the Rhody basketball talk, history, experiences, insight and intel you all come here to share.

All the best to you all and your families also.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago I just wanted to drop in here briefly to wish everyone Happy Holidays!

I sincerely appreciate all the Rhody basketball talk, history, experiences, insight and intel you all come here to share.

All the best to you all and your families also.
Thanks Drums, you too and family, plus all of KB.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Thanks to you all for enjoyable time(lots)spent here. Happy Holidays and best New Years.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. But in the end we are all pulling on the same oars. Merry Christmas!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What a difference a couple of weeks makes.
In Hurley's 2nd season we only won 5 conference games, we are already 3-0 and yes we now have an 18 games schedule.
On top of that we have some exciting and talented young players along with a strong veteran core group.
Best thing is that all our players have at least one more year of eligibility.
We still need to do a little trimming with our 2 recruits coming in.

At this point, I would say we are ahead of that previous rebuild.
I feel confident Archie will keep this group together, and next season could be something special.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Amazing that our offense is the best in conference games thus far.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 5.48.50 PM.png
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 months ago Amazing that our offense is the best in conference games thus far.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 5.48.50 PM.png
Yep, makes sense when you are 3-0 and we are scoring.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Also, the A10 has snapped back nicely into the 8th spot after last year's atrocious 13th place among D1 conferences.

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 6.22.22 PM.png
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Makes sense with Houston to the Big 12 we jumped them , 8 is a good spot to be the MWC is too strong @ the top now
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just a point that should be noted here, we’re halfway through the season and we have equaled the number of wins we had last year. We have nine wins in 16 games including a five game losing streak, where we were missing at least two of our best players. Last year, we had nine wins in 31 games. That’s 100% improvement this year to date in my book.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago Just a point that should be noted here, we’re halfway through the season and we have equaled the number of wins we had last year. We have nine wins in 16 games including a five game losing streak, where we were missing at least two of our best players. Last year, we had nine wins in 31 games. That’s 100% improvement this year to date in my book.
Impressive year over year. Just a stepping stone to the top of the conference.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I bet an Archie hater on Twitter that we would win 14 or more games, so that's at the top of my list, haha. I was getting really worried after that 5 game streak, but I like our chances now!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago I bet an Archie hater on Twitter that we would win 14 or more games, so that's at the top of my list, haha. I was getting really worried after that 5 game streak, but I like our chances now!
You are golden, great bet.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago I bet an Archie hater on Twitter that we would win 14 or more games, so that's at the top of my list, haha. I was getting really worried after that 5 game streak, but I like our chances now!
And that Archie hater is supposedly a huge Rhody fan.
Smdh
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am still thinking we win 5-6 more regular season games and finish 8-10 or 9-9.
That was pretty much what I predicted early on, and I would be okay with it.

As discussed previously our 3 freshmen (Dubs really hasn't played) have been a pleasant surprise and made a large impact. Keeping them along with some of our other core players will be imperative.

With all that said I expect a huge jump in year 3 for Archie, not unlike what Hurley did in 14-15.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago I am still thinking we win 5-6 more regular season games and finish 8-10 or 9-9.

As discussed previously our 3 freshmen (Dubs really hasn't played) have been a pleasant surprise and made a large impact. Keeping them along with some of our other core players will be imperative.

With all that said I expect a huge jump in year 3 for Archie, not unlike what Hurley did in 14-15.
We've obviously seen improvements offensively already. But it seems like we've actually regressed defensively. What's the solution? If we're going to make that huge jump, something has to change dramatically in that area.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Every time I see the word "rebuild", I think of this guy

2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago I am still thinking we win 5-6 more regular season games and finish 8-10 or 9-9.

We've obviously seen improvements offensively already. But it seems like we've actually regressed defensively. What's the solution? If we're going to make that huge jump, something has to change dramatically in that area.
That has to be corrected and we must expect and trust the staff to get that done.
Afterall, Archie was always considered a defensive minded coach.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

The only way we make a big jump is if our guys learn how to defend or he gets some upgrades. If we bring back most of the team and add Hammond and Farrell, I think we will be better, but not an NCAA-level team. Which is what I expected when we hired him..I think we are a year behind, and we won't make that big jump until year 4 or 5. I hope i'm wrong..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

The only way we make a big jump is if our guys learn how to defend or he gets some upgrades. If we bring back most of the team and add Hammond and Farrell, I think we will be better, but not an NCAA-level team. Which is what I expected when we hired him..I think we are a year behind, and we won't make that big jump until year 4 or 5. I hope i'm wrong..
Yeah Steve don't disagree, I didn't necessarily mean an NCAAT bid next season, just a big improvement.
Maybe a 20-win season or the NIT, anything more would be great.
Afterall, it took Hurley 5 years to go to the "Dance".
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're looking to add 2 or 3 players from the portal, what should we prioritize?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

Yeah Steve don't disagree, I didn't necessarily mean an NCAAT bid next season, just a big improvement.
Maybe a 20-win season or the NIT, anything more would be great.
Afterall, it took Hurley 5 years to go to the "Dance".
“A year behind” is where my mindset is currently, as well. Although, with the caveat of whether the rest of the A10 regresses, treads water or improves.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago If we're looking to add 2 or 3 players from the portal, what should we prioritize?
A guard like Jared Terrell. I think Cam will be fine. His production is really good for a freshman. We need an enforcer guard. A guy with tough swagger. One who can defend well. But what do I know? We scored 84 points last game and lost. Maybe just if these guys would play some defense we would win some games???????
Last edited by theblueram 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago If we're looking to add 2 or 3 players from the portal, what should we prioritize?
78, I would go for a seasoned PG to split time with Hammond. Beyond that and as far as I am concerned, it depends on if the sit out rule changes again and depends on who stays or goes at seasons end.

I haven’t given next seasons needs much thought beyond the PG position yet.

That said, good off day question. 👍🏼
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago
A guard like Jared Terrell. I think Cam will be fine. His production is really good for a freshman. We need an enforcer guard. A guy with tough swagger. One who can defend well.
Not something I would have said a few years ago, but I don't think we can 'afford' someone like Jared Terrell.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago
78, I would go for a seasoned PG to split time with Hammond. Beyond that and as far as I am concerned, it depends on if the sit out rule changes again and depends on who stays or goes at seasons end.

Which leads to another question. Which guys on the current roster should Archie prioritize to keep here? Do we want both House and Luis back? Or just one of them? Do we want Zek back? Brandon? Etc?...
Last edited by Billyboy78 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A guard like Jared Terrell. I think Cam will be fine. His production is really good for a freshman. We need an enforcer guard. A guy with tough swagger. One who can defend well.
Not something I would have said a few years ago, but I don't think we can 'afford' someone like Jared Terrell.
I also added some comments about the fact we scored 84 points and still lost BillyBoy. I think we have the offense, but these guys need to nut up on defense. They are playing wayyyyyy too soft on defense and getting wayyyyyy to many fouls.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I also added some comments about the fact we scored 84 points and still lost BillyBoy. I think we have the offense, but these guys need to nut up on defense. They are playing wayyyyyy too soft on defense and getting wayyyyyy to many fouls.
No doubt. That's easily the biggest problem right now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Which leads to another question. Which guys on the current roster should Archie prioritize to keep here? Do we want both House and Luis back? Or just one of them? Do we want Zek back? Brandon? Etc?...
I would want Louis, House, Fuchs, Cam, Foumena, Zek, Green back for sure. Probably need Brown to sub Foumena for now.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I mean, we will be! We have two signed guys, and I would be shocked if we only had two scholarships available. Stewart would seem like a lock to leave, and from there, it's easy to imagine that there would be frank discussions between Miller and Dubsky, Brown, Weston, Wright, Bilau and Montgomery about their roles going forward. To me, the keepers are Green, House, Estevez, Kortright and Fuchs - the guys you expend some effort on keeping. I think they could be part of a decent team. The others, I think you roll the dice if they want to go, either because their health is very inconsistent or because their performance is. ETA: I am still not sure about Foumena - I'd probably keep him because of his size, but I think his defense is why he keeps getting yanked, and that's harder for me to get a feel for, a couple thousand miles away.

I think the #1 priority has to be perimeter defense, to crossthread. We put zero pressure on teams with our man to man defense. We could use an interior shotblocking threat too, but I think that is harder to find on the transfer market.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

It is important to remember that within the next 2 years a min of 8 players on the current team will no long be on the team
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would want Louis, House, Fuchs, Cam, Foumena, Zek, Green back for sure. Probably need Brown to sub Foumena for now.
I would agree with those 7/8.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Those 8 players need to go through some special ops training and get some toughness in them. I would send that group to ranger school or something.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

“Mr 78, you ask a lot of questions.”
- Roxann Rosanna-Danna.

😁

An old Saturday Night Live ref in case you are too young to have watched it.

I’d take Zek back -IF he can start to turn things around. Otherwise, I would reconsider keeping him or not. The same applies to Weston, imho.

Not sure about others yet.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

- Roxann Rosanna-Danna.

😁

I’d take Zek back -IF he can start to turn things around. Otherwise, I would reconsider keeping him or not. The same applies to Weston, imho.

You’d take Weston back if he can turn things around, but you’re not sure about proven commodities in House and Kortright?

Interesting logic there.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Those 8 players need to go through some special ops training and get some toughness in them. I would send that group to ranger school or something.
We're in serious trouble if we don't retain Cam and Fuchs. Although I believe they will stay, the thought of them leaving scares me.

House has improved on the defensive end. Luis seems banged up at the moment. He appears slower out there, which is disappointing because he was taking a positive turn. I'd be very surprised if both returned for a fifth year.

My guess is Zek comes back.

Rory is gone, and Weston is likely leaving; he seriously considered departing without knowing the new second-time transfer rules were changing. I hope Archie pushes Tyson out and assures Fou that he will have a significant role next season. It will be unfortunate if he joins another program. My prediction is he'd be a double-digit scorer with starter minutes.

Connor loves this team and staff, putting in a lot of work. I don't think he'll want to leave unless Archie informs him he won't have a role next year, which could be the case. If I had to bet, I'd predict he's gone.

Farrell will be a breath of fresh air on the defensive end, and our fan base will love his passion. However, our offense will take a hit while he's out there.

Hammond is a great playmaker and an absolute pest on the defensive end. He'll likely be the best player on the team at drawing charges, which isn't saying much since I don't think anyone on our team draws charges.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I would love a TJ-type guard next year – a tough, defensive-minded leader. Someone who wouldn't mind if Hammond was the starter, capable of coming in and leading by example on the defensive end. Remember how TJ would take over point guard duties late in the games and go to the line if we needed to close it out? I would love a player like that. The bottom line is we need to get some defenders. I don't think I've ever been so frustrated watching a team – the wide-open threes, the easy layups, the terrible, stupid fouls. It sucks
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

- Roxann Rosanna-Danna.

😁

I was 18 when SNL debuted (is that a word? doesn't look right :lol: ) So yes I remember it well and I loved Gilda Radner. RIP.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

At least half this roster needs to be elsewhere next season

Archie needs to find guys who have a solid defensive track record if at all possible.

Also wouldn't hurt if the newcomers are at least decent from the ft line.

Of course with a high turnover rate it will take more time to develop a cohesive unit.

Maybe once we have better overall talent, we could have less turnover at some point.

Not that it will be easy with the transfer rules but that's the hope I would think.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The biggest concern is keeping our best players from leaving.

Convincing them that they will be part of a winning program is the hard sell facing this staff.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago At least half this roster needs to be elsewhere next season

Archie needs to find guys who have a solid defensive track record if at all possible.

Also wouldn't hurt if the newcomers are at least decent from the ft line.

Of course with a high turnover rate it will take more time to develop a cohesive unit.

Maybe once we have better overall talent, we could have less turnover at some point.

Not that it will be easy with the transfer rules but that's the hope I would think.
Disagree Bone. These guys can score based on the 84 points they put up last game. They need a team building intervention, a real feckin hard one. Some teams train with the Seals. They need something like that. They have the offense, they just need the defense.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think by now, if they are this bad at defense, how much better will they get?

Even a moderate improvement wont be that big of a difference.

They need major improvement which imo just isn't likely.

I agree offensively we are pretty good, but it takes both sides of the ball.

With better defense we aren't likely to be totally blown out of games.

If the shots aren't falling, that's what is happening.

It takes mental toughness to play good defense, as we all know.

The staff I'm sure knows by now who could get better and who cant.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

He talks about the defense here.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

- Roxann Rosanna-Danna.

😁

If Zek transfers I'm sure he would 100% go full Jarrelle Reischel and be crazy good for someone else lol
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, if guard quickness is the problem with the defense, that's not going to change this year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just watch the games, guards get blown off the ball. He’s right.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 months ago I think by now, if they are this bad at defense, how much better will they get?

Even a moderate improvement wont be that big of a difference.

They need major improvement which imo just isn't likely.

I agree offensively we are pretty good, but it takes both sides of the ball.

With better defense we aren't likely to be totally blown out of games.

If the shots aren't falling, that's what is happening.

It takes mental toughness to play good defense, as we all know.

The staff I'm sure knows by now who could get better and who cant.
I dunno...I think a 'moderate improvement' on defense...would make a huge difference. There would be more W's.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, if guard quickness is the problem with the defense, that's not going to change this year.
did he mention (lack of) quickness?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

18:55 to 19:05...great shot :lol:
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

- Roxann Rosanna-Danna.

😁

You’d take Weston back if he can turn things around, but you’re not sure about proven commodities in House and Kortright?

Interesting logic there.

As I said in a few posts above in clear language…

I have not gotten to the others yet. Did I ever say I was a no on any of them in that post. No. So, go F off. Not dealing with your petty bullcrap tonight.
0 x