2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by RI_Bred »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago this isn't year two of a rebuild. this is year six.
That's actually a very good point, but not much to do with Archie overall, yet.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago I think it's possible to rebuild in 2 years but that's very difficult. 3-4 years is a reasonable expectation.

P5/BE schools have a much easier time to rebuild faster than the mid-majors do for obvious reasons.
For programs like us, especially with a new staff, I agree 3-4 years makes sense.
I agree and disagree with this take.
Where I agree is that I believe it's easier for the power conferences to rebuild given NIL advances.
Where I disagree is that not all non-P5 rebuilds are the same. You aren't paying $500k for someone like John Becker who is unproven at this level. You are paying almost $2 million for someone with a proven track-record.
Miller, even removed from the game from a year, should have still have some name recognition and recruiting contacts to hit the ground running.
You guys shouldn't be in a slow, deliberate rebuild. Saying that gives your coach a pass. I still maintain if he's worth the salary he's being given, he should at least have you guys contending for the NIT.
4 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago

Or what? More dipshit posts from you? Because I assure you nothing will happen within the athletic department, nor should anything happen within the athletic department
Weird how you're attacking me for having an opinion. :? Way too many homers on this forum. This team isn't good.
I'm not attacking you for having an opinion, I'm attacking your opinion for being dumb. Like seriously, you said "HAVE to go 3-0 in the next few games." Ok, or what? We fire Archie? We use President Parlange's chickens as an animal sacrifice at half court of the Ryan Center hoping the basketball gods will change our fortunes? We execute Archie, Thorr, and Parlange at dawn on the Quad? We HAVE to or what?

Like I don't think there are many people saying we're good. We're saying talking about putting the coach on the hot seat before conference play starts in year 2 of a rebuild is dumb. That's not being a homer, that's understanding how college basketball works
Ok ok ok. Lay off, holy shit lmao. I never said we HAVE to go 3-0 in the next games or Archie should be fired. I literally never said that. You and Rhody15 like twisting people's words, cut it out.

My original post was

"Yeah... Once again, record has to be significantly better this season or Archie should be on the hot seat. 2.5 million a year... No excuses."

I said RECORD has to be SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER this season. That shouldn't be hard to achieve considering how shit we were last year.

Would YOU be OK if we lost to any of these next 3 teams? Come on. Raise your standards!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago I think it's possible to rebuild in 2 years but that's very difficult. 3-4 years is a reasonable expectation.

P5/BE schools have a much easier time to rebuild faster than the mid-majors do for obvious reasons.
For programs like us, especially with a new staff, I agree 3-4 years makes sense.
Where I agree is that I believe it's easier for the power conferences to rebuild given NIL advances.
Where I disagree is that not all non-P5 rebuilds are the same. You aren't paying $500k for someone like John Becker who is unproven at this level. You are paying almost $2 million for someone with a proven track-record.
Miller, even removed from the game from a year, should have still have some name recognition and recruiting contacts to hit the ground running.
You guys shouldn't be in a slow, deliberate rebuild. Saying that gives your coach a pass. I still maintain if he's worth the salary he's being given, he should at least have you guys contending for the NIT.
Agreed. We are paying Archie $2M+. Time to see some progress.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Weird how you're attacking me for having an opinion. :? Way too many homers on this forum. This team isn't good.
I'm not attacking you for having an opinion, I'm attacking your opinion for being dumb. Like seriously, you said "HAVE to go 3-0 in the next few games." Ok, or what? We fire Archie? We use President Parlange's chickens as an animal sacrifice at half court of the Ryan Center hoping the basketball gods will change our fortunes? We execute Archie, Thorr, and Parlange at dawn on the Quad? We HAVE to or what?

Like I don't think there are many people saying we're good. We're saying talking about putting the coach on the hot seat before conference play starts in year 2 of a rebuild is dumb. That's not being a homer, that's understanding how college basketball works
Ok ok ok. Lay off, holy shit lmao. I never said we HAVE to go 3-0 in the next games or Archie should be fired. I literally never said that. You and Rhody15 like twisting people's words, cut it out.

My original post was

"Yeah... Once again, record has to be significantly better this season or Archie should be on the hot seat. 2.5 million a year... No excuses."

I said RECORD has to be SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER this season. That shouldn't be hard to achieve considering how shit we were last year.

Would YOU be OK if we lost to any of these next 3 teams? Come on. Raise your standards!
I'll be pissed if we lose them, even if Delaware is a coin flip game that we won't be favored for. But I won't say NO EXCUSES or WE HAVE TO WIN or HOTSEAT on a message board, because I understand how college basketball works and those thoughts are dumb as shit
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

My original post was

I'll be pissed if we lose them, even if Delaware is a coin flip game that we won't be favored for. But I won't say NO EXCUSES or WE HAVE TO WIN or HOTSEAT on a message board, because I understand how college basketball works and those thoughts are dumb as shit
Your thoughts are dumb as shit sometimes as well, but I don't call you out on them. Have a good rest of your day! :D
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Where are these unrealistic expectations you're talking about? No one expects them to make the NIT or NCAAT this year, but so far we're not significantly better than last year. Losing to a shit Brown team shouldn't make anyone optimistic for this season. Also no David Green.
Some here did feel contending this year was a possibility along with a 20-win season.
Regardless of that, I still think this team is much better than last year's and more important I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.
Not sure how you can think the team is much better than last year at this point in time. Granted we still have 4 games remaining in OOC but that Rankings are the Rankings. Not good.

Last Year NET 265 - 14th in Conference
This YTD NET 237 - 15th in Conference
Its just my opinion Ramster but I really prefer the make-up of this team as compared to last year's.
The NET isn't an exact science, and I am going by what I see.
Last year we got absolutely nothing out of our frontcourt, this year we have options.
A little raw now but I see the upside and potential.
House, Kortright, and Zek have all had their moments but right now lack consistency, I expect more from them come conference time.
The talent of some our younger players gives me some hope and expect them to continue to develop.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Where are these unrealistic expectations you're talking about? No one expects them to make the NIT or NCAAT this year, but so far we're not significantly better than last year. Losing to a shit Brown team shouldn't make anyone optimistic for this season. Also no David Green.
Some here did feel contending this year was a possibility along with a 20-win season.
Regardless of that, I still think this team is much better than last year's and more important I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.
Not sure how you can think the team is much better than last year at this point in time. Granted we still have 4 games remaining in OOC but that Rankings are the Rankings. Not good.

Take a look @ the first 5 conference games we play , it’s very DIFFICULT !!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Its just my opinion Ramster but I really prefer the make-up of this team as compared to last year's.
The NET isn't an exact science, and I am going by what I see.
Last year we got absolutely nothing out of our frontcourt, this year we have options.
A little raw now but I see the upside and potential.
House, Kortright, and Zek have all had their moments but right now lack consistency, I expect more from them come conference time.
The talent of some our younger players gives me some hope and expect them to continue to develop.
I would hope so.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

66, what you may think is slow, I look at it as giving him a fair chance.
Yes, it would have been great to contend this year and make an appearance in the NIT, but that would have been beyond my expectations for this season.
Archie is a solid coach with an appropriate compensation package, but he isn't a miracle worker.
And being away from the game in 21-22 along with KJ (even longer) does make a difference, especially when it came to recruiting and trying to build a roster.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Because anyone who watched last year's team and this year's team has eyes connected to their brain.

This was a terrible week, but during this terrible week, we still looked better than last year's team ever did. Certainly during our wins.

Last year's team had no talent. This year's team has talent, it's just a matter of getting them to maximize it.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago

Are you even watching these games? We look terrible. That win vs Yale doesn't mean shit anymore. It's a win NOW situation, not later. We don't even know if half of these players are going to stay next year.
Yes, we look terrible. You also don't talk about firing a coach in year fucking 2 if you have any clue unless that coach is on the Jerry D level. Even Cox, as bad as he was, deserved a third year. There's no such thing as a win now situation in year 2 of a college coach or you'll never get another coach worth anything and no player would ever come here
RhowdyRam is 100% accurate with his assessment. This "hot seat...gotta start winning or else" talk on this board is nonsense. Coaches are not fired after two years, unless the program is sinking like the TItanic. No coach would ever work for that particular AD and no recruit would ever go to a school that is that unstable with its hiring and firing.

I remember going to games in the 70's and 80's. I went home after the game, disappointed if they lost. And I'd go to more games in the weeks to follow. There was no "the sky is falling" attitude. You rooted URI on, we didn't trash the team, the players or the coach. We hoped they'd win and after the season, you'd say either say it was a good season or a bad season. I miss those days.
...pre-Keyboard Warrior Era. Now, online trashing is half the conversation, at least...'pending on if you suck bad, it could be more...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Yes, it would have been great to contend this year and make an appearance in the NIT, but that would have been beyond my expectations for this season.
Archie is a solid coach with an appropriate compensation package, but he isn't a miracle worker.
And being away from the game in 21-22 along with KJ (even longer) does make a difference, especially when it came to recruiting and trying to build a roster.
Maybe 4-year guys, but he should have had a list of solid contacts - guys he recruited to IU, guys he almost recruited to IU - players he should have had solid relationships with that wouldn't have been in contact with any other coaches/schools prior to him taking over at URI. In the portal age, he should have been able to grab 1-2 impactful players he had previous relationships with. I don't know the ins and outs of your recruiting, but it'd actually be a little bit concerning if guys like this aren't even including URI on lists for courtesy visits.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 months ago I was of the opinion next season we would be in bubble territory with NIT very likely, now I don’t think so
Reef before you get to down on this team, let's see how we finish out the season.
And after that, we need to take a look at what our roster looks like for 24-25 before you make that judgement call.
No, I think reef has to make his judgment call now...and it can never change. And the rest of us...we'll just go game by game :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Maybe 4-year guys, but he should have had a list of solid contacts - guys he recruited to IU, guys he almost recruited to IU - players he should have had solid relationships with that wouldn't have been in contact with any other coaches/schools prior to him taking over at URI. In the portal age, he should have been able to grab 1-2 impactful players he had previous relationships with. I don't know the ins and outs of your recruiting, but it'd actually be a little bit concerning if guys like this aren't even including URI on lists for courtesy visits.
Making a lot of sense RJ. A lot of sense on this one.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Of course he still maintained contacts but a year away does make a difference especially when courting recruits and players.
In the case of KJ (our lead recruiter) he was away from Div 1 even longer.

We did bring in several impact players, but still too early in the process to judge the results.

I think during conference play we will have our ups and downs.
But I am optimistic that we will be competitive and see continued improvement.
My concern/worry will come if we see another mass turnover after this season.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I guess what I don't understand is why does a year away impact players transferring... Just off the top of my head, Jordan Geronimo, an Archie commit, transferred after last season. By all records, he never had any legitimate contact with URI, and committed to Maryland. Do I think Jordan Geronimo is turning you into a tourney contender? Of course not, by why is he not even taking a courtesy visit to the guy he originally committed and played one year of college ball for? That has nothing to do with being out of the game for a year. Guys like this, they were recruited by Archie in '18, '19, or even '20. They decided within the last few years to transfer. They should be quality connections built back when that even if they didn't choose Miller/IU, it's not like they have no idea who he is.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 months ago I guess what I don't understand is why does a year away impact players transferring... Just off the top of my head, Jordan Geronimo, an Archie commit, transferred after last season. By all records, he never had any legitimate contact with URI, and committed to Maryland. Do I think Jordan Geronimo is turning you into a tourney contender? Of course not, by why is he not even taking a courtesy visit to the guy he originally committed and played one year of college ball for? That has nothing to do with being out of the game for a year. Guys like this, they were recruited by Archie in '18, '19, or even '20. They decided within the last few years to transfer. They should be quality connections built back when that even if they didn't choose Miller/IU, it's not like they have no idea who he is.
Who knows the circumstances or situations with any of those transfers or if there was any mutual interest.
Frankly I don't really care about that at this point, we all seemed good for the most part with the players that the staff brought in.
We have to trust the coaches with their player evaluations and who they feel are the right fit.
Last edited by Jersey77 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Of course he still maintained contacts but a year away does make a difference especially when courting recruits and players.

We did bring in several impact players, but still too early in the process to judge the results.

I keep seeing these references to turnover. Which players on the current team, could leave and play somewhere next year? Just play, without sitting out? Understood that there is a wild card, er, I mean "waiver" process, but, what players on the current team could leave without sitting?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

I keep seeing these references to turnover. Which players on the current team, could leave and play somewhere next year? Just play, without sitting out? Understood that there is a wild card, er, I mean "waiver" process, but, what players on the current team could leave without sitting?
Much depends on whether the 4-year players; House, Luis, Bilau (5 years), and Green graduate and decide to move on.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Much depends on whether the 4-year players; House, Luis, Bilau (5 years), and Green graduate and decide to move on.
I don't think, for my question, it depends. So, if House, Luis, Bilau and Green graduate, they can play somewhere else, next year? And, could anyone else?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think, for my question, it depends. So, if House, Luis, Bilau and Green graduate, they can play somewhere else, next year? And, could anyone else?
That brings about a question I've been thinking about with Green.

Why does Green have to Graduate? Why can't Green transfer even now? If he sits out his 1 year Penalty Year then why can't he go play at Dayton if he wants to next November? Is he locked into URI? I wouldn't think so but I don't have a doctorate in the Waiver process

And why can't the 2 incoming Freshmen change their minds and go somewhere else? PC had a guy in September got oKansas State at the last minute, even after having gone on the Spain Summer Trip with the team, plus they just had an imcon=ming Class of 2024 Freshman change his mind and de-committed.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 months ago I guess what I don't understand is why does a year away impact players transferring... Just off the top of my head, Jordan Geronimo, an Archie commit, transferred after last season. By all records, he never had any legitimate contact with URI, and committed to Maryland. Do I think Jordan Geronimo is turning you into a tourney contender? Of course not, by why is he not even taking a courtesy visit to the guy he originally committed and played one year of college ball for? That has nothing to do with being out of the game for a year. Guys like this, they were recruited by Archie in '18, '19, or even '20. They decided within the last few years to transfer. They should be quality connections built back when that even if they didn't choose Miller/IU, it's not like they have no idea who he is.
Who knows the circumstances or situations with any of those transfers or if there was any mutual interest.
Frankly I don't really care about that at this point, we all seemed good for the most part with the players that the staff brought in.
We have to trust the coaches with their player evaluations and who they feel are the right fit.
That's not unfair, I'm just challenging the notion that being away from the game for a year makes him some sort of leper. There are plenty of players who he built relationships with while they were in HS who have transferred in the last few years where being out of the recruiting game really doesn't make a difference, but rather the relationships from the original recruitment could/should have some impact. Whether he wants those guys or they want him is a different story, but it should be a significant pool of past relationships to pull from.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yep, no sitting if they graduate and transfer,
Cam, Dubs, Fuchs, Foumena, Rory, Ways, and Brown could all transfer without having to sit.
Weston and Zek would need a waiver.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That brings about a question I've been thinking about with Green.

Why does Green have to Graduate? Why can't Green transfer even now? If he sits out his 1 year Penalty Year then why can't he go play at Dayton if he wants to next November? Is he locked into URI? I wouldn't think so but I don't have a doctorate in the Waiver process
I think to answer your question, Green could transfer now and utilize his penalty at another school. I think that would be semi-foolish because many teams don't have scholarships so the pool of places you could transfer to are limited. Better off finishing of the year and then transferring at the end of the season when scholarships open back up for most teams,if that's what he wants to do. Regardless, when he graduates in May, he can transfer anywhere penalty-free. You reference Will McNair with PC and I think it's the same thing - it's bizarro but as a graduate transfer you can almost do anything you want, including going on a summer vacation with one team and transferring out before the start of the semester.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Yep, no sitting if they graduate and transfer,
Cam, Dubs, Fuchs, Foumena, Rory, Ways, and Brown could all transfer without having to sit.
Weston and Zek would need a waiver.
ok, we're good then.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That's not unfair, I'm just challenging the notion that being away from the game for a year makes him some sort of leper. There are plenty of players who he built relationships with while they were in HS who have transferred in the last few years where being out of the recruiting game really doesn't make a difference, but rather the relationships from the original recruitment could/should have some impact. Whether he wants those guys or they want him is a different story, but it should be a significant pool of past relationships to pull from.
Fair points RJ. Which was my hope any way when we hired Archie. Why else would we offer him $2M+ a year if we didn't think he could get players here quick? For a quick turnaround? Not a 4 year rebuild
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ok, here goes nothin'...

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of how Archie plays the game, particularly the defense. That is to say, that's not how I would go or choose in a coach. I think my favorite coaches in my URI fan existence have been Harrick, which was a switch off from a man d to a 2-3 zone, and that's it, depending on what was happening during the game, and how the other team's offense was playing, and Hurley, which was basically 40 mins of hell, man to man with some sort of press, whether full court or half court or three quarters court. As someone else said, very uncomfortable defense.

That being said, I realize that winning is the ultimate equalizer, and if we were winning right now, no one would give two hoots what defense Archie runs, as long as it was getting the job done. And that goes for me included.

I just think in Hurley's case, you had to have, definitely, the most fit players on the court to have anything left to play offense, and when he was getting steals and fast break that was feeding the energy of his offense. and in Harrick's case, I think the game plan was, he was an offense first guy, so he wanted the defense to be effective, but he want to spent the least amt of energy to do it, so he could save it all for the offense, (which is kind of how the pro game is played).

So, that's my beef, so to speak. I think the Archie method is kind of ugly to watch, but if it wins I don't have a problem with it. And I will not be leading a Baron 3.0 thread, no matter what happens.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, and I really didn't get in, only on the tail end of Penders, so that might be unfair to Penders, who was also very much like Hurley, I believe.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

Fair points RJ. Which was my hope any way when we hired Archie. Why else would we offer him $2M+ a year if we didn't think he could get players here quick? For a quick turnaround? Not a 4 year rebuild
When Miller first came it was commonly said here that Miller wanted to build the team from the round up, the right way, not with transfers. The long term, solid building with incoming Freshman warranted the 3-4 year timeline to an NCAA Bid and Top Tier A10. When posters in thet 1st year mentioned the Portal for possible recruiting they were generally shot down.

Then after a year things changed and Transfers and the Portal started to become a means of building the roster. This is a more immediate talent and experience building method - attracting Transfers and Grad Transfers. But the 3-4 year timeline seems to still be in place.

I actually don't think there is a timeline at all. It's "we will be good when we are good". Wright? I mean right?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Always
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago Ok, here goes nothin'...

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of how Archie plays the game, particularly the defense. That is to say, that's not how I would go or choose in a coach. I think my favorite coaches in my URI fan existence have been Harrick, which was a switch off from a man d to a 2-3 zone, and that's it, depending on what was happening during the game, and how the other team's offense was playing, and Hurley, which was basically 40 mins of hell, man to man with some sort of press, whether full court or half court or three quarters court. As someone else said, very uncomfortable defense.

That being said, I realize that winning is the ultimate equalizer, and if we were winning right now, no one would give two hoots what defense Archie runs, as long as it was getting the job done. And that goes for me included.

I just think in Hurley's case, you had to have, definitely, the most fit players on the court to have anything left to play offense, and when he was getting steals and fast break that was feeding the energy of his offense. and in Harrick's case, I think the game plan was, he was an offense first guy, so he wanted the defense to be effective, but he want to spent the least amt of energy to do it, so he could save it all for the offense, (which is kind of how the pro game is played).

So, that's my beef, so to speak. I think the Archie method is kind of ugly to watch, but if it wins I don't have a problem with it. And I will not be leading a Baron 3.0 thread, no matter what happens.
I guess it’s this packline defense that the players are not executing? I admit when I watch the game I don’t really notice the packline being played

I really don’t care for his we don’t do that here when asked about the press ! Come on Arch you are better than that !
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

reef.

From that pdf, I think this picture, if you had to choose one picture from it, probably best illustrates the pac line defense.

pac_line01.jpg

Of course, it illustrates the defense for just one possible scenario, but it's helpful nontheless.

The Pac Line is supposed to be a man to man defense, but only the person covering the guy with the ball truly plays man to man.

The other three players shown, play a distance half way between the ball and their own man. You can see that the offensive player on the far side is fairly open, if they do a skip pass, the defender probably doesn't have time to stop the pass but should have time to cover him. And then that defender is the only one playing man to man. etc.

So the players gravitate to the ball. And that's what you should be seeing over time.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, he has the nickname "the accountant". Mathematically speaking, this defense should give you an advantage to cover a lot of space like a zone, if you have players executing it perfectly like some teams have done in the past, I guess? It's all about using angles to cover an area and, hopefully, get into passing lanes?

Also, if you have three guys around the ball like that, it should allow them to stop dribble penetration, is my guess.

The only problem is, it isn't. Because for that to happen you have to take that one extra commitment step towards the ball if the guy with the ball tries to drive to the basket, confident that you are capable of getting back to your own assignment.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Thanks guys, this helps my understanding of a core principle of packline. I guess max pressure on the ball, at all times on the floor is necessary for offensive players to feel uncomfortable. Like when we go chalk talk here.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is mentioned here ad nauseum but I am not sure it is the defensive philosophy we have been employing the last 2 years. If so we aren’t doing it very effectively.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago reef.

From that pdf, I think this picture, if you had to choose one picture from it, probably best illustrates the pac line defense.

pac_line01.jpg

Of course, it illustrates the defense for just one possible scenario, but it's helpful nontheless.

The Pac Line is supposed to be a man to man defense, but only the person covering the guy with the ball truly plays man to man.

The other three players shown, play a distance half way between the ball and their own man. You can see that the offensive player on the far side is fairly open, if they do a skip pass, the defender probably doesn't have time to stop the pass but should have time to cover him. And then that defender is the only one playing man to man. etc.

So the players gravitate to the ball. And that's what you should be seeing over time.
Yes , I understand the concepts from when you guys posted the video’s when Arch first got hired , but when I watch the games I don’t really notice if they are following it
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a defensive series and I can see it, and other times I can't. I've never really seen this defense before in action until now, so it's hard to know what specifically to look for, but when you see a play like the illustration where the offense is spread out, you can see three people gravitating to the ball... sometimes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want to see a 1-2-2 trap that forces time off the clock pressuring the ball and then drop that into a man to man
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago

...pre-Keyboard Warrior Era. Now, online trashing is half the conversation, at least...'pending on if you suck bad, it could be more...
Projo board was in the 80s. That got pretty nasty.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 months ago I want to see a 1-2-2 trap that forces time off the clock pressuring the ball and then drop that into a man to man
hmm...that sounds a little zone-ish...pretty sure that...

?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Just in comparison to 2013- 2014, Dan's 2nd season:
We beat Brown by 9 pts in Providence.
We also beat UNH by 17 pts at home.
Our best win that season was beating LSU at Baton Rouge.

We did struggle in conference play but did have the core pieces in place to win 23 games the following season, of course we also added Jared and Jarvis.

Looking back now, I would say we are behind Dan's rebuild pace.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Yes, we are, not sure it's even close. We knew we had building blocks in place then; foundational pieces, with more coming. Right now we have a few young potential building blocks (still tbd), mixed in with transfers who would be bench/role players on a good team. Got a long way to go.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think the biggest differences are that roster had Xavier Munford pouring in 16.9 a game for us and while Cam is promising he's not where EC was in year 1.

Even with that, that team only went 14-18 (5-11)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago Yes, we are, not sure it's even close. We knew we had building blocks in place then; foundational pieces, with more coming. Right now we have a few young potential building blocks (still tbd), mixed in with transfers who would be bench/role players on a good team. Got a long way to go.
And so much has changed in just a few short years. I don't ever remember having a discussion about 'will Jared transfer?', 'will EC transfer'?, will Jeff transfer?' Now we're already wondering how long good young players like Cam will be here.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I mean, Jared has a massive thread covering his recruiting where he originally committed to Oklahoma State, there was legitimate talk about EC possibly leaving early for the NBA before his knee injury, at this point in Dan's second season most posters assumed Jarvis Garrett was going to Marquette (he didn't commit until the end of February in Dan's 2nd year), and Jeff wasn't a glimmer in our eye yet.

Yeah, the conversation has changed, but there's always been doom and gloom on this board and it's always been tough for us to go from the bottom to a tournament team
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I mean, Jared has a massive thread covering his recruiting where he originally committed to Oklahoma State, there was legitimate talk about EC possibly leaving early for the NBA before his knee injury, at this point in Dan's second season most posters assumed Jarvis Garrett was going to Marquette (he didn't commit until the end of February in Dan's 2nd year), and Jeff wasn't a glimmer in our eye yet.

Yeah, the conversation has changed, but there's always been doom and gloom on this board and it's always been tough for us to go from the bottom to a tournament team
Doom and gloom?

People hype up every single kid we get, people thought we’d be top 4 last season, people thought we’d contend for an at large this year
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And people have also said it would be impossible to get a kid, or we had the wrong coach, or we need to fire Hurley 6 weeks before he made the tournament
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I mean, Jared has a massive thread covering his recruiting where he originally committed to Oklahoma State, there was legitimate talk about EC possibly leaving early for the NBA before his knee injury, at this point in Dan's second season most posters assumed Jarvis Garrett was going to Marquette (he didn't commit until the end of February in Dan's 2nd year), and Jeff wasn't a glimmer in our eye yet.

Sure. But the biggest challenge to keeping a team together today is the portal. Guys like Jared weren't going to transfer and have to sit out a year. And we didn't have to worry about a high major team offering him a nice NIL package (at least legally :lol: ) No, we don't currently have any players anywhere near the level of player Jared was, but if they're good (like Cam), they could still seek better opportunities elsewhere.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I think the biggest differences are that roster had Xavier Munford pouring in 16.9 a game for us and while Cam is promising he's not where EC was in year 1.

Even with that, that team only went 14-18 (5-11)
Agree with you here; that's kind of my point. Cam is not EC. Fuchs is not Hassan Martin. House is not Munford. I think there is potential with the young guys; but there are no sure-fire future stars like we had then.

We just lost to UNH at home. That's as bad as things can get.
1 x