2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago You never really know what you get when you take 5 guys from the portal or whatever it was then try to get them to play as a team , maybe the players are worse than we or the coaches thought they would be ?

Anyway things aren’t looking too good and it’s early in his tenure let’s see how this team improves as the season progresses
nonsense.

you know exactly what you're getting through the portal. and if you don't, then those who are responsible for getting guys to commit via the portal need to go.

you're getting college athletes. game film is there, their wants and needs (NIL and whatever else) are known, the 'word on the street' on the guys is there. the baggage or lack of is there (or not). coaches talk. difficult to hide things when you transfer and is some cases twice.

these aren't 8th graders and HS kids you're taking a flier on and hope they mature and grow because they show potential. these are guys someone else has already recruited to a program.
I think is mostly true, with the caveat that plenty of guys transfer because they got hurt and/or aren't playing. In that case, it's hard to know if that's because they weren't good enough to get into a rotation, a personality conflict with the coach, or if their injuries are going to sap their future potential. If it's a guy transferring down (Weston, Jalen Carey, Tchikou), then you probably take a chance on them anyway, depending on how many roster spots you have to play with. ETA: I would add, it's hard to tell who the staff is ultimately picking between when it comes to scholarships, so it's hard to calculate the opportunity cost. (Josh Rivera was mentioned as a frequent off-season target; he's scoring more than our big men, but averaging less rebounds and shooting 35 percent from the FT line. Khalif Battle is doing pretty well, but I don't know how seriously he considered us.)

For this year's transfers and team in particular, I think they've been average to above average, but we still lack that "key guy" that you can build around, and we lack overall depth and defensive skill. If one or two guys are having an off night, it's a problem. Maybe Montgomery gets there - I'm not sure if his recent swoon has been a result of defenses paying him more attention, or just tentativeness / a slump on his part. He has 6 FTA the past five games, and as Ramster has pointed out, he has one steal this season. It's fine if he caps out at "just" a really good rotational player, but he's the only guy probably capable of "breaking out" this year to me.

House is what he is; solid guard / wing, not a star. Estevez is averaging 1.4 assists per 40 minutes, and while I think he has a good future, I don't think it's a guarantee he improves greatly this year. Weston, Brown and Bilau have showed varying degrees of promise and production, and have their uses, but I'd be surprised if any of them got substantially better at this point. Foumena and Fuchs are young / inexperienced enough that maybe they could breakout, but I don't think that happens this year. Dubsky and Stewart seem like strong candidates to transfer down.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I can't believe people are saying Archie should be in the hot seat in year 2. Dan took over a much more drastic rebuild on a program level considering we hadn't been to a tournament in 13 seasons when he took over and he had to deal with an APR nightmare when recruiting but let's not act like this was a much better scenario that Archie walked into.

We let David Cox stay a year too long, which put everything in a worse spot than they needed to be. Hurley didn't inherit much, but he did inherit TJ who ended up being a necessary glue guy for his first NIT team in year 3, which is much more than you can say Archie will have.

If it took Dan Hurley three years to make an NIT and five to make an NCAA, maybe we should give Archie more than a year and a third to start talking about hot seats. Honestly we shouldn't even be talking about a hot seat until the end of next year and only in the context of "If Archie doesn't make the tournament next year (year four) than it might be time to move on if things aren't going in the right direction
He’s being paid $1.4 million this year. I would like to win now for that type of investment.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

With what, 1/3 season completed the SG post above is good and accurate, I would say.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago As much pain as our rebuild is causing us, it's nothing compared to the rebuild of the new Washington Bridge going on right now. Glad I don't commute through that. What's that bridge, like 10 years old?
They just said on the news that he part of the bridge that is faulty is from the 60s.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago As much pain as our rebuild is causing us, it's nothing compared to the rebuild of the new Washington Bridge going on right now. Glad I don't commute through that. What's that bridge, like 10 years old?
They just said on the news that he part of the bridge that is faulty is from the 60s.
So they rebuilt the bridge and kept 60 year old parts? LOL. It doesn't even make me question it. Not here.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hind sight always good, they shoulda built the tube under the Bay.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Its fine, don’t worry about the bridge. We’re getting a soccer stadium.
1 x
:lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago The other thing is, as bad as the Brown game was, we're pretty much right where most of us predicted. We're 5-5 with 3 more non-conference games left. I predicted we'd go 7-6, the average was 8-5. Going 3-0 isn't out of the question considering Delaware on a neutral court is a toss up and we're favored against Northeastern and New Hampshire. I don't know, I guess I'm not really sure what people thought 8-5 would look like with this non-conference schedule? This is pretty much exactly what I thought except we beat Yale and lost to Brown
I was struggling between 18-13 or 19-12 and went 19-12 cuz I was optimistic just prior to the season and maybe the Green waiver
If I could revise now will guess 15-16
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I can't believe people are saying Archie should be in the hot seat in year 2. Dan took over a much more drastic rebuild on a program level considering we hadn't been to a tournament in 13 seasons when he took over and he had to deal with an APR nightmare when recruiting but let's not act like this was a much better scenario that Archie walked into.

We let David Cox stay a year too long, which put everything in a worse spot than they needed to be. Hurley didn't inherit much, but he did inherit TJ who ended up being a necessary glue guy for his first NIT team in year 3, which is much more than you can say Archie will have.

If it took Dan Hurley three years to make an NIT and five to make an NCAA, maybe we should give Archie more than a year and a third to start talking about hot seats. Honestly we shouldn't even be talking about a hot seat until the end of next year and only in the context of "If Archie doesn't make the tournament next year (year four) than it might be time to move on if things aren't going in the right direction
He’s being paid $1.4 million this year. I would like to win now for that type of investment.
Yes, we'd all like that. I'd also like a night with Margot Robbie. You can't always get what you want and it helps to be realistic
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Margot Robbie ?! Excellent choice, 02! Excellent!👍🏼
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago

Nah dude, it's ok! We can wait 3 more years for URI to become relevant! That's what people are telling me over here. :D
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Its already starting..."wait till next year" we have these great recruits coming in for 24-25. We will only be losing 2 players because we are 2 over scholarship. Everyone will have a year of experience playing together and then the following year 25-26 We will be a top team in the A10.
Right!
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rjv wrote: 4 months ago Its already starting..."wait till next year" we have these great recruits coming in for 24-25. We will only be losing 2 players because we are 2 over scholarship. Everyone will have a year of experience playing together and then the following year 25-26 We will be a top team in the A10.
Right!
Right! :D :D Archie just needs "his guys"! :D :D
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
rjv wrote: 4 months ago Its already starting..."wait till next year" we have these great recruits coming in for 24-25. We will only be losing 2 players because we are 2 over scholarship. Everyone will have a year of experience playing together and then the following year 25-26 We will be a top team in the A10.
Right!
Problem is there were too many unrealistic expectations for this season.
C'mon we are only 10 games into year 2 of a rebuild.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Right!
This statement is 100% true. It is said every year blindly
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
Right!
We need to cut 22 slack, they've been a fan for less than a year
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

We need to cut 22 slack, they've been a fan for less than a year
Who tf are you? :lol: :lol: Been a fan since 2018
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Right!
Where are these unrealistic expectations you're talking about? No one expects them to make the NIT or NCAAT this year, but so far we're not significantly better than last year. Losing to a shit Brown team shouldn't make anyone optimistic for this season. Also no David Green.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Right!
This is correct, but as fans it sucks! Can't wait to look back and think, they god were not here anymore.
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Are you even watching these games? We look terrible. That win vs Yale doesn't mean shit anymore. It's a win NOW situation, not later. We don't even know if half of these players are going to stay next year.
Yes, we look terrible. You also don't talk about firing a coach in year fucking 2 if you have any clue unless that coach is on the Jerry D level. Even Cox, as bad as he was, deserved a third year. There's no such thing as a win now situation in year 2 of a college coach or you'll never get another coach worth anything and no player would ever come here
RhowdyRam is 100% accurate with his assessment. This "hot seat...gotta start winning or else" talk on this board is nonsense. Coaches are not fired after two years, unless the program is sinking like the TItanic. No coach would ever work for that particular AD and no recruit would ever go to a school that is that unstable with its hiring and firing.

I remember going to games in the 70's and 80's. I went home after the game, disappointed if they lost. And I'd go to more games in the weeks to follow. There was no "the sky is falling" attitude. You rooted URI on, we didn't trash the team, the players or the coach. We hoped they'd win and after the season, you'd say either say it was a good season or a bad season. I miss those days.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago

Are you even watching these games? We look terrible. That win vs Yale doesn't mean shit anymore. It's a win NOW situation, not later. We don't even know if half of these players are going to stay next year.
Yes, we look terrible. You also don't talk about firing a coach in year fucking 2 if you have any clue unless that coach is on the Jerry D level. Even Cox, as bad as he was, deserved a third year. There's no such thing as a win now situation in year 2 of a college coach or you'll never get another coach worth anything and no player would ever come here
RhowdyRam is 100% accurate with his assessment. This "hot seat...gotta start winning or else" talk on this board is nonsense. Coaches are not fired after two years, unless the program is sinking like the TItanic. No coach would ever work for that particular AD and no recruit would ever go to a school that is that unstable with its hiring and firing.

I remember going to games in the 70's and 80's. I went home after the game, disappointed if they lost. And I'd go to more games in the weeks to follow. There was no "the sky is falling" attitude. You rooted URI on, we didn't trash the team, the players or the coach. We hoped they'd win and after the season, you'd say either say it was a good season or a bad season. I miss those days.
Social media allows for 24/7 criticism of anything.

I highly doubt people didn’t complain to their friends/family in person the day after a bad loss.

Can’t compare the 70s and 80s to now.
2 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

was jerry d fired after two years?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Beat Delaware and we'll feel a lot better lol
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Where are these unrealistic expectations you're talking about? No one expects them to make the NIT or NCAAT this year, but so far we're not significantly better than last year. Losing to a shit Brown team shouldn't make anyone optimistic for this season. Also no David Green.
Some here did feel contending this year was a possibility along with a 20-win season.
Regardless of that, I still think this team is much better than last year's and more important I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was of the opinion next season we would be in bubble territory with NIT very likely, now I don’t think so
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 months ago I was of the opinion next season we would be in bubble territory with NIT very likely, now I don’t think so
Reef before you get to down on this team, let's see how we finish out the season.
And after that, we need to take a look at what our roster looks like for 24-25 before you make that judgement call.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I think it's possible to rebuild in 2 years but that's very difficult. 3-4 years is a reasonable expectation.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

I highly doubt people didn’t complain to their friends/family in person the day after a bad loss.

And I think one issue is a lot of people are too overexposed to sports talk radio and think they need to have a scorching hot take about their team or they're not a real fan
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 4 months ago was jerry d fired after two years?
I don't remember the exact details, wikipedia says he resigned, but he was only here for 2 years. 5-25 (2-14) and 7-23 (3-13) seasons. Going 12-48 (5-27) in the two years immediately after the best modern era of URI basketball will get you gone
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago I think it's possible to rebuild in 2 years but that's very difficult. 3-4 years is a reasonable expectation.

P5/BE schools have a much easier time to rebuild faster than the mid-majors do for obvious reasons.
For programs like us, especially with a new staff, I agree 3-4 years makes sense.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

this isn't year two of a rebuild. this is year six.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Think
Small
We
Do
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyram22
ARD

Some here did feel contending this year was a possibility along with a 20-win season.
Regardless of that, I still think this team is much better than last year's and more important I feel confident we are headed in the right direction.
Then I wanna see the proof that they're much better. HAVE to go 3-0 in the next few games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I don't remember the exact details, wikipedia says he resigned, but he was only here for 2 years. 5-25 (2-14) and 7-23 (3-13) seasons. Going 12-48 (5-27) in the two years immediately after the best modern era of URI basketball will get you gone
He announced he would resign late (mid Feb) in the season as he knew he was sure to be fired at the end of his second year. The pressures of the job continued to get to him and and he later stepped away from coaching due to "health concerns" before the season had fully concluded.
Last edited by RF1 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Then I wanna see the proof that they're much better.
Let's revisit this at the end of the season and see.

More important for me, is to see what our team looks like next year because that is when I would expect our biggest jump.
As you know 22, I was being cautious and pumping the brakes for this season.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago this isn't year two of a rebuild. this is year six.
This is the same type of thinking that led to the Baron 2.0 thread in the first place.

First of all, it's not year six of a rebuild, David Cox was left players that could have and should have led to at least one tournament bid. Squandering talent on the roster is not the same as rebuilding.

Also, it's not Archie Miller's fault, or problem, what happened here before he was hired. So the first four years that you may want to count are completely and totally irrelevant when grading Archie's job
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Then I wanna see the proof that they're much better. HAVE to go 3-0 in the next few games.
Or what? More dipshit posts from you? Because I assure you nothing will happen within the athletic department, nor should anything happen within the athletic department
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 months ago
He announced he would resign late (mid Feb) in the season as he knew he was sure to be fired at the end of his second year. The pressures of the job continued to get to him and and he later stepped away from coaching due to "health concerns" before the season had concluded.
Thank you
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 4 months ago this isn't year two of a rebuild. this is year six.
This is the same type of thinking that led to the Baron 2.0 thread in the first place.

First of all, it's not year six of a rebuild, David Cox was left players that could have and should have led to at least one tournament bid. Squandering talent on the roster is not the same as rebuilding.

Also, it's not Archie Miller's fault, or problem, what happened here before he was hired. So the first four years that you may want to count are completely and totally irrelevant when grading Archie's job
fine, take your first two years of DC out. this is year four of a rebuild. 39-58 in that span to date.

i'm not grading the golden arches, i'm grading the program.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ok, well it wasn't obvious you were grading the program and not Archie to me because the previous conversation was about him
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago Ok, well it wasn't obvious you were grading the program and not Archie to me because the previous conversation was about him
I agree 02, I also found KBB post a little confusing.
When Blue Man started this thread, it was obvious he was trying to compare Archie's rebuild to that of Dan's in 2012.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

You may have said something to a friend in recapping the game...but it didn't lead days upon days of droning on about the coach, the game, the program, this player and that player. You moved on with your life and moved onto the next game.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Or what? More dipshit posts from you? Because I assure you nothing will happen within the athletic department, nor should anything happen within the athletic department
Weird how you're attacking me for having an opinion. :? Way too many homers on this forum. This team isn't good.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

fine, take your first two years of DC out. this is year four of a rebuild. 39-58 in that span to date.

I am too. Last time this team was good was 2019/20. We are approaching 2024.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But what are you arguing about...no one would disagree with the statement above.

But also no logical person would agree that Archie should be on any type of hot seat either.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Weird how you're attacking me for having an opinion. :? Way too many homers on this forum. This team isn't good.
I'm not attacking you for having an opinion, I'm attacking your opinion for being dumb. Like seriously, you said "HAVE to go 3-0 in the next few games." Ok, or what? We fire Archie? We use President Parlange's chickens as an animal sacrifice at half court of the Ryan Center hoping the basketball gods will change our fortunes? We execute Archie, Thorr, and Parlange at dawn on the Quad? We HAVE to or what?

Like I don't think there are many people saying we're good. We're saying talking about putting the coach on the hot seat before conference play starts in year 2 of a rebuild is dumb. That's not being a homer, that's understanding how college basketball works
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No you're not. You've said multiple times Archie should be on the hot seat. That's grading the coach, not the program
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

No you're not. You've said multiple times Archie should be on the hot seat. That's grading the coach, not the program
Furthermore, you don't take years of anything out. That's not a realistic grade of a coach. You don't grade a coach on the program scale and the program on a coaching scale. It's not done that way nor will it ever.

A performance-based grade - like "are we good" is what you're grading the coach on. In the reality of sports, that grade is put on a curve of a typical 4-5 year window for a coach to get his bearings, culture, message, recruiting, development, and finally on-court performance, right.

The "program" itself is the institutional investment, support, and hiring of coaches. That grade is much more generalized and high level and isn't lost in the minutia of a 3 game losing streak in December. If you're grading the program - a new practice facility, highly touted coaching hire, highly touted assistant coaches, and financial investments never seen before would tell you the program is in a decent place.

As for the coach, no one in their right mind would even think that a coach inheriting a bare bones rebuild (like Dan Hurley or Archie Miller) is even up for debate on their employment before the end of year 3.

So yeah this last week has sucked, but the rush to absolutism on this board is the biggest issue. We're all here to bitch and moan, but this weird need to declare absolute good or "time to make a coaching change" is stupid. But coming from the board that compared Dan Hurley to Jim Baron 3 months before he brought us to an NCAA tournament (funny it was after a December loss), I am unfortunately not surprised.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not sure how you can think the team is much better than last year at this point in time. Granted we still have 4 games remaining in OOC but that Rankings are the Rankings. Not good.

Last Year NET 265 - 14th in Conference
This YTD NET 237 - 15th in Conference
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago

Furthermore, you don't take years of anything out. That's not a realistic grade of a coach. You don't grade a coach on the program scale and the program on a coaching scale. It's not done that way nor will it ever.

A performance-based grade - like "are we good" is what you're grading the coach on. In the reality of sports, that grade is put on a curve of a typical 4-5 year window for a coach to get his bearings, culture, message, recruiting, development, and finally on-court performance, right.

The "program" itself is the institutional investment, support, and hiring of coaches. That grade is much more generalized and high level and isn't lost in the minutia of a 3 game losing streak in December. If you're grading the program - a new practice facility, highly touted coaching hire, highly touted assistant coaches, and financial investments never seen before would tell you the program is in a decent place.

As for the coach, no one in their right mind would even think that a coach inheriting a bare bones rebuild (like Dan Hurley or Archie Miller) is even up for debate on their employment before the end of year 3.

So yeah this last week has sucked, but the rush to absolutism on this board is the biggest issue. We're all here to bitch and moan, but this weird need to declare absolute good or "time to make a coaching change" is stupid. But coming from the board that compared Dan Hurley to Jim Baron 3 months before he brought us to an NCAA tournament (funny it was after a December loss), I am unfortunately not surprised.
6 years will make a fan base ornery BlueMan. I trust Archie will get it done. But it ain't fun getting there. Let's hope he starts winning soon.
2 x