2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, not giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year. I don’t even want to hear that bs.

His brother was out multiple years and faced sanctions and is top of the Big East and will be ranked Top 20.

All those kids on Xavier could have left. They didn’t.

That’s soft as shit giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year.

Archie whiffed on getting higher impart kids such as Femi, N’Guessan and Durogordon. Had to settle for what we currently have.

Obviously I didn’t expect to compete for postseason tournaments this year, but also did not expect us to be this inept.
Cry me a River

The so called big transfers he “whiffed” on your talking about is funny

Femi is only averaging 20 mins and about 5 points at Seton Hall so big whiff there I guess

Nguessan is averaging 7.5 points per game, he’d definitely would help on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not a traditional big man he’d get abused if he was our only big

Durugordon is playing for Austin Peay…….. not to look down on them but his level of competition is very subpar yes he’d be nice to have but Weston will be better long term imho
Would you rather those three, or Weston Tchkiou and Bilau?

It’s not even close.

Also it’s hilarious your only metric to justify your argument is PPG.

Femi has been injured, and also was productive at Pitt.

N’Guessan would be our best big man hands down. Has started the whole season for K State.

And you honestly think Archie would have N’Guessan has our only big? What the hell are you talking about?

Durogordon looks like he’ll be an All League player for Austin Peay.
An all league player for Austin Peay? Did you really just say that? Like an ASUN all league player? LMAO.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't know the decision-making on Durogordon. In his recruiting thread, Iggy says Miller could have had him, but passed - I don't know where he got that info from, but he's usually got pretty good sources. If so, that's probably a 'miss,' since his production even at a lower level is pretty impressive. (And like I said in that other thread - Austin Peay's SOS by KenPom is currently 109, vs. 226 for URI. It's not like they've only played scrubs, and at worst, he could have filled up the stat sheet for us more than current roster options.)

Every talent evaluator has "misses" though, and I suspect those misses are greater the later a signing is. (Anecdotal, but I think all of Baron's late signings were bad; at some point when I'm not feeling lazy, it would be interesting to look and see if that's true across the board, or unique to him, or simply faulty memory or a coincidence.) I would be disappointed if this was the haul after Miller's first full year. There's a lot of eggs in the basket when it comes to Estevez and Dubsky working out, along with the X players we'll get from the transfer market. But I do have much more faith going forward, since the staff is going to have more time to accurately scout marginal players, and to recruit and sign higher pedigree recruits. Maybe not Top 100, 4-star guys every time, but like Hurley, some of those, some under the radar guys, and just some players that fit a team need they've accurately identified.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I don't know the decision-making on Durogordon. In his recruiting thread, Iggy says Miller could have had him, but passed - I don't know where he got that info from, but he's usually got pretty good sources. If so, that's probably a 'miss,' since his production even at a lower level is pretty impressive. (And like I said in that other thread - Austin Peay's SOS by KenPom is currently 109, vs. 226 for URI. It's not like they've only played scrubs, and at worst, he could have filled up the stat sheet for us more than current roster options.)

Every talent evaluator has "misses" though, and I suspect those misses are greater the later a signing is. (Anecdotal, but I think all of Baron's late signings were bad; at some point when I'm not feeling lazy, it would be interesting to look and see if that's true across the board, or unique to him, or simply faulty memory or a coincidence.) I would be disappointed if this was the haul after Miller's first full year. There's a lot of eggs in the basket when it comes to Estevez and Dubsky working out, along with the X players we'll get from the transfer market. But I do have much more faith going forward, since the staff is going to have more time to accurately scout marginal players, and to recruit and sign higher pedigree recruits. Maybe not Top 100, 4-star guys every time, but like Hurley, some of those, some under the radar guys, and just some players that fit a team need they've accurately identified.
Steve, we are not paying Archie $2+ million a year to get marginal guys. Sorry, that's not how it works. But I expect a top 100 recruit every now and then. I'm not interested in under the radar guys. I want to see URI mentioned for recruits. That is what we are paying for. I want to see URI mentioned on CBS sports or ESPN for a recruit. Why else would we spend over $2 million on a coach if all we expect is marginal guys? Not buying it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I agree, we should have higher , yet still realistic expectations for Archie. Realistic meaning patience.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I don't know the decision-making on Durogordon. In his recruiting thread, Iggy says Miller could have had him, but passed - I don't know where he got that info from, but he's usually got pretty good sources. If so, that's probably a 'miss,' since his production even at a lower level is pretty impressive. (And like I said in that other thread - Austin Peay's SOS by KenPom is currently 109, vs. 226 for URI. It's not like they've only played scrubs, and at worst, he could have filled up the stat sheet for us more than current roster options.)

Steve, we are not paying Archie $2+ million a year to get marginal guys. Sorry, that's not how it works. But I expect a top 100 recruit every now and then. I'm not interested in under the radar guys. I want to see URI mentioned for recruits. That is what we are paying for. I want to see URI mentioned on CBS sports or ESPN for a recruit. Why else would we spend over $2 million on a coach if all we expect is marginal guys? Not buying it.
We spend $2 million on a coach for them to run a successful basketball program. The recruiting rankings of the players that form that successful program are largely irrelevant. Getting CBS Sports or ESPN headlines for our recruiting is completely and totally irrelevant. Our biggest recruiting headline was Jermaine Harris. Offseason headlines don't win games
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I agree, we should have higher , yet still realistic expectations for Archie. Realistic meaning patience.
Of course we have patience 05. Archie is a great coach and I think he will get the players here. I just don't like hearing a downgrade in expectations. We expect to be a top A10 team and go to the NCAAT. That's it.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If Dubsky and Estevez suck, and this coming class of transfers doesn't pan out, sure, roast him. But ultimately I think all we're going to judge Miller on is whether URI makes NCAA tournaments and his teams consistently win. Recruiting rankings and more perspectives on a player increase the confidence interval, and if we're projecting, whether we think they'll be any good before seeing them actually play at the D-I level. But unless the team wins consistently against good competition, fans aren't going to give a crap whether our recruiting class was #20, #100 or #350. (I'll concede that if we somehow end up with the ESPN #1 ranked recruiting class, yes, that'll probably bump tickets.)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Cry me a River

Femi is only averaging 20 mins and about 5 points at Seton Hall so big whiff there I guess

Nguessan is averaging 7.5 points per game, he’d definitely would help on the offensive side of the ball, but he is not a traditional big man he’d get abused if he was our only big

Durugordon is playing for Austin Peay…….. not to look down on them but his level of competition is very subpar yes he’d be nice to have but Weston will be better long term imho

It’s not even close.

N’Guessan would be our best big man hands down. Has started the whole season for K State.

And you honestly think Archie would have N’Guessan has our only big? What the hell are you talking about?

An all league player for Austin Peay? Did you really just say that? Like an ASUN all league player? LMAO.

Well we lost to an ASUN team last year so…
1 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The A10 is losing status every year. We are in no position to knock the ASun or virtually any other conference at this point. As for recruiting rankings, I think getting more highly rated freshman helps the cause. EC, Hass, Terrell all examples. Transfers are trickier but Iverson and Robinson are good examples of highly rated transfers that filled a role and helped the team. We'll see what happens this offseason.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry, not giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year. I don’t even want to hear that bs.

His brother was out multiple years and faced sanctions and is top of the Big East and will be ranked Top 20.

All those kids on Xavier could have left. They didn’t.

That’s soft as shit giving him a pass because he didn’t coach last year.

Archie whiffed on getting higher impart kids such as Femi, N’Guessan and Durogordon. Had to settle for what we currently have.

Obviously I didn’t expect to compete for postseason tournaments this year, but also did not expect us to be this inept.
Cry me a River

It’s not even close.

Of course I would want them if Archie wants them (examples is Femi & N’Guessan)

Femi has missed one game, and your thinking Pitt is a good team, their equivalent to a mid table A10 team

N’Guessan would be our best big no shit Sherlock, I’m saying he couldn’t defend the 5, looking at K-St games N’Guessan plays as a FOUR not a FIVE so I said I don’t know if he could handle defending a five every game, he’d basically be like Samb trying to defend a five

Durugordon is playing on a team in the Atlantic Sun conference, Durugordon wanted to come to the team but did we know why Archie didn’t take him, I don’t think we’ll ever know why, did he come in asking promises, maybe maybe not, but there is a reason he didn’t take him. If he turns out great for Austin Peay good for them, what doesn’t stop him for leaving Austin Peay to go back up to a P5

Archie got beat out by two bigger programs in better conferences with better staff, so that wouldn’t be “whiffs”

And your only judging from numbers from half the season who knows what can happen in the next two months with our players and the ones we whiffed according to you, but you do you man
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I agree, we should have higher , yet still realistic expectations for Archie. Realistic meaning patience.
Of course we have patience 05. Archie is a great coach and I think he will get the players here. I just don't like hearing a downgrade in expectations. We expect to be a top A10 team and go to the NCAAT. That's it.
I agree.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don't think having a tough year is a downgrade in expectations. I'm pretty sure most everyone was on the train of "NCAA year 3" as an expectation.

As Archie said "we'll be good when we're good."

I'm not sure what people thought year one was going to be. I throw out the W/L in a rebuilding year no matter what my pre-season thoughts were. I wanted to see a more competent system and better basketball being played.

I believe we have seen that.

What is shocking to me is the fact that we get a TON of open shots. We have a fluid offense that creates great looks for our players. We have phenomenal calls ATO that seem to get us the open shot with the right guy taking it.

We just miss those shots. My GOD do we miss those shots. But they're there, and they're open. For year 1? I'll take that as an improvement - and in a down conference, no one can say we're so far away from being able to make a run in Brooklyn.

The guys in the room are who they are right now. Archie can only draw the plays and put the guys in spots - which it seems like they are. The guys need to make the shots.

The talent will improve in the coming years - it looks like Estevez/Dubsky could be massive offensive upgrades. But you'll also have growth from the guys who will be here 2-4 years.

For year 1 in a rebuild, I'm not sure why people are thinking we should be winning more games. Trust the guy doing the building.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree about the offensive sets look real good , we just need more talent in here and the results should show
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
I don't think having a tough year is a downgrade in expectations. I'm pretty sure most everyone was on the train of "NCAA year 3" as an expectation.

As Archie said "we'll be good when we're good."

I'm not sure what people thought year one was going to be. I throw out the W/L in a rebuilding year no matter what my pre-season thoughts were. I wanted to see a more competent system and better basketball being played.

I believe we have seen that.

What is shocking to me is the fact that we get a TON of open shots. We have a fluid offense that creates great looks for our players. We have phenomenal calls ATO that seem to get us the open shot with the right guy taking it.

We just miss those shots. My GOD do we miss those shots. But they're there, and they're open. For year 1? I'll take that as an improvement - and in a down conference, no one can say we're so far away from being able to make a run in Brooklyn.

The guys in the room are who they are right now. Archie can only draw the plays and put the guys in spots - which it seems like they are. The guys need to make the shots.

The talent will improve in the coming years - it looks like Estevez/Dubsky could be massive offensive upgrades. But you'll also have growth from the guys who will be here 2-4 years.

For year 1 in a rebuild, I'm not sure why people are thinking we should be winning more games. Trust the guy doing the building.
I’m not sure how these guys will improve in the upcoming years. This is a team that lacks talent across the board. Will Estevez and Dubsky be big upgrades? Maybe, but didn’t we say that about every guy Archie brought in this year. I think most people believe he can turn the program around, but the players that were brought in last year are very good and I wouldn’t expect many of them to be here fir an NCAA tourney team. The phrase we will be good when we’re good as gotten a little repetitive to me. It sounds like getting a pass in a sport that turn around can happen quicker than most other sports. I believe Archie will get them to the tourney, but have not seen much so far that has shown the improvement you talk about this year. This might be because the team lacks talent and as you mentioned he can’t hit the shots for them, but he needs to recruit the guys that can.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seeing them pass the ball around with, some 'purpose'.... and it ending up in someone's hands for an open shot ...almost like they planned it that way :o is such a massive upgrade from the last couple years it's almost worth the price of admission. And like Blue Man said earlier, they do get a TON of open shots.
Step 1, get the open shot. Mission accomplished. Step 2, start draining some...
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Seeing them pass the ball around with, some 'purpose'.... and it ending up in someone's hands for an open shot ...almost like they planned it that way :o is such a massive upgrade from the last couple years it's almost worth the price of admission. And like Blue Man said earlier, they do get a TON of open shots.
Step 1, get the open shot. Mission accomplished. Step 2, start draining some...
Yeah I am literally just waiting for water to find it's level. It's why I still have hope for a run in Brooklyn. It is statistically impossible to be basketball players for as long as our players have been, regardless of talent, and miss this many WIDE OPEN shots.

The other thing I notice about us - is that we rim out more shots that are 1/2 way down the cylinder than anyone else.

Quinnipiac, Texas State, Tulane, BC, Brown - 1 or 2 shots go down and we're 9-4 instead of 4-9 this year.

This is part of the rebuild. You're going to be on the wrong end of a lot of things your first year. Hurley talked about the "belief" that we could win. It took years to instill that into his guys.

208 nails it - we're getting the shots which signals we are at least playing competent basketball. The 2nd part and getting them to fall is all confidence - that will come.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Didn’t know where to put this but Bilau has officially been ruled out for the year. Had surgery on his knee.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t know where to put this but Bilau has officially been ruled out for the year. Had surgery on his knee.
Dedicated thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=9493
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Right now, Carey and Martin are the only 2 players definitely gone after this season.
Hutch hasn't played in the last 3 games, so not sure what Archie's intentions or thoughts concerning him going forward.
We also currently have the worst frontcourt in the conference.

Up till now, Archie's philosophy has been wanting young players that have 3-4 years eligibility.
That doesn't really lend itself to picking up a major impact big in the portal.
Guess that is why Archie had offered a couple of Juco bigs.

I am very curious to see how things will shake out going forward.
The worst thing that could happen is players that have a lot of promise will decide to move on.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

3F3F8AD5-41F7-435C-B2B2-A3014DB30DC8_1_201_a.jpeg
This chart says Archie has no scholarships available for THREE F-ING YEARS!!!

Please tell me I'm not reading it correctly.

That can't possibly be right.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago 3F3F8AD5-41F7-435C-B2B2-A3014DB30DC8_1_201_a.jpeg

This chart says Archie has no scholarships available for THREE F-ING YEARS!!!

Please tell me I'm not reading it correctly.

That can't possibly be right.
Well KC never signed in November, so I wouldn't count him.
Also, Ant is still not listed on the roster, but expect him to be here shortly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Right now, Carey and Martin are the only 2 players definitely gone after this season.
Hutch hasn't played in the last 3 games, so not sure what Archie's intentions or thoughts concerning him going forward.

Up till now, Archie's philosophy has been wanting young players that have 3-4 years eligibility.

The worst thing that could happen is players that have a lot of promise will decide to move on.
What does offering a couple JUCOs have to do with having players with 3-4 years eligibility? A JUCO graduate would come in as a Junior and havd 2 years eligibility.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Right now, Carey and Martin are the only 2 players definitely gone after this season.

What does offering a couple JUCOs have to do with having players with 3-4 years eligibility? A JUCO graduate would come in as a Junior and havd 2 years eligibility.
Buru is only a freshman and will have 3 years.
Brown will only have 2 years, but maybe Archie feels he will have more impact than what he may get in the portal.
Like I said Archie has previously only taken players with a minimum of 3 years left.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Brown will only have 2 years, but maybe Archie feels he will have more impact than what he may get in the portal.
Like I said Archie has previously only taken players with a minimum of 3 years left.
You think Archie is using the portal this year too? That doesn’t correspond with his 3-4 year build plan that keeps being mentioned.
I’d prefer he get to talent from wherever he can get it - Freshmen, Transfers, JUCOs - who cares - just win. His call of course, as are the substitutions, starting line ups, letting the guy shoot a 3P when up by 3 points instead of fouling with seconds left - bottom line is win.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think Archie has to adapt to the new world of college hoops. If he is that good of a coach, he may have to rethink his methodology of evaluating and developing players.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You think Archie is using the portal this year too? That doesn’t correspond with his 3-4 year build plan that keeps being mentioned.
I’d prefer he get to talent from wherever he can get it - Freshmen, Transfers, JUCOs - who cares - just win.
I don't know Ramster.
Archie always said he didn't want to build a roster primarily with short term portal players.
He just wanted to use transfers to help fill in.
I was hoping this past spring and summer he would have added one or two veteran impact bigs.
That is why I kept posting several possibilities in the portal.
I thought they would help with the development of the younger players.
But that wasn't the direction he wanted to go, and he has a plan.
So, let's see how it plays out.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey, I think we are okay with Hutch and Rory, too may I add, as far as them wanting to stay - but, that is just my personal opinion based off of clips of what they’ve said since they signed with the program. However, I understand losing and not playing much can be frustrating and the attitudes of 18-19 year olds are subject to change.

That being said, I think next year is a big year for both (from their perspective and from Archie’s). They both need to show enough improvement (including Rory improving his foot speed) to crack the regular rotation and help us start winning. If they can’t do that next season, then I think they will be open (as will Arch, I think) to have a heart to heart with Archie to help them decide if they are A10 capable players for a winning team.

I like the potential of both players and the opportunity is in front of them to improve, play and win. I hope they can do it but if not, I will wish them the best and hope they land at a program where they will play.

There are other players on the team this could be said for as well. I am a proponent of player development but sometimes players just don’t develop enough or develop fast enough. Next season is going to be a big year for the players slated to return to show significant improvement.

I am rooting for these guys and hope they can improve enough here over the rest of this season and next off-season to pull off at least an 18-20 win ‘23-24 season. But, to get this program back to where Archie wants to take it - which is the same place we all want it to go, A10 championships and NCAA Tourney wins - he may need to upgrade the roster more than I originally thought.

We shall see how it goes.

Very frustrating game today. Sorry for droning on, Jersey.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d prefer he get to talent from wherever he can get it - Freshmen, Transfers, JUCOs - who cares - just win.
I don't know Ramster.
Archie always said he didn't want to build a roster primarily with short term portal players.
I was hoping this past spring and summer he would have added one or two veteran impact bigs.
Can you post where he says what his plan is? I must have missed it.
Building with freshmen only with transfers only to fill gaps seems like it could take a while especially looking at the playing time our current freshmen are getting on a bad team no less.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I don't know Ramster.
Building with freshmen only with transfers only to fill gaps seems like it could take a while especially looking at the playing time our current freshmen are getting on a bad team no less.
Here is one example, you can also play back some of his earlier interviews.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ad9dde36 ... c3B4&ntb=1

Recruiting both true freshmen and players in the transfer portal, Miller and his staff made a point of bringing in players who will grow with the program on a year-to-year basis, rather than one-year pieces. All seven players joining the program have at least three seasons of eligibility.

"From a competitive standpoint, we wanted guys from winning backgrounds with high skill levels," Miller said. "We wanted guys who could come in and fit the way we are going to play, both offensively and defensively. Additionally, this is a class that fits in well with the URI campus community. These are young men who value the things we want our program to be about in the classroom and off the court.

"The versatility in our recruiting that came from casting a wider net was also something we focused on. Being able to blend high school and international prospects with the additions we made through the portal, all of these guys fit needs, and they fit needs long term. They are not one-year fixes. We want to have a significant portion of our roster intact as we recruit into the future year-to-year."
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't know Ramster.
Here is one example, you can also play back some of his earlier interviews.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=ad9dde36 ... c3B4&ntb=1

Recruiting both true freshmen and players in the transfer portal, Miller and his staff made a point of bringing in players who will grow with the program on a year-to-year basis, rather than one-year pieces. All seven players joining the program have at least three seasons of eligibility.

"From a competitive standpoint, we wanted guys from winning backgrounds with high skill levels," Miller said. "We wanted guys who could come in and fit the way we are going to play, both offensively and defensively. Additionally, this is a class that fits in well with the URI campus community. These are young men who value the things we want our program to be about in the classroom and off the court.

"The versatility in our recruiting that came from casting a wider net was also something we focused on. Being able to blend high school and international prospects with the additions we made through the portal, all of these guys fit needs, and they fit needs long term. They are not one-year fixes. We want to have a significant portion of our roster intact as we recruit into the future year-to-year."
What interesting is that with that philosophy we start Samb, Leggett, Martin and Carey with Thomas first off the bench - all holdovers from last years team that got the HC fired. If we were playing well great, but since we are not you would think those 7 incoming players brought in would be seeing plenty of playing time.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I originally thought those holdover players would be given respect and start the first game. Then the players brought in would be better and move into major roles. OK, I was way off on that one.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I originally thought those holdover players would be given respect and start the first game. Then the players brought in would be better and move into major roles. OK, I was way off on that one.
Many of us were. Now in conference play and we start Samb, Leggett, Carey and Martin. Thomas big minutes off bench today. Only new guy of the top 6 in minutes today is Freeman and struggled on defense.
Who would have thunk it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I originally thought those holdover players would be given respect and start the first game. Then the players brought in would be better and move into major roles. OK, I was way off on that one.
Many of us were. Now in conference play and we start Samb, Leggett, Carey and Martin. Thomas big minutes off bench today. Only new guy of the top 6 in minutes today is Freeman and struggled on defense.
Who would have thunk it.
Anyone that went to the B & W scrimmage? :(
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Who would have thunk it.
Anyone that went to the B & W scrimmage? :(
Yeah, I guess. I didN’t go. However have heard from some here of how good some new players looked. In looking back I would have to say look who they were playing against. The other half of a bottom A-10 team.
Last edited by SGreenwell 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG Edit: Fixed broken quote usage.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The new players that Archie has brought in are not at the level that a lot of us expected. Yes this is year 1 but much better talent is needed. I think this is what has us concerned. There will be improvement of course, but I dont see this group capable of contending with the top of the league. A lot of work to do. Cooley and Hurley have brought in major talent via the transfer route. We have to do the same. Will we? That's what has me worried.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm giving our coach a pass for this year. That could change next year though. The leash can only be so long ha ha.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don’t give him a pass, he’s the one who chose to lock in all 3 + year players and limit flexibility. Now he could always Briz some players, but we know how people feel about that…
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He's going to have to let a few go. Has to, or else this rebuild will take a lot longer than any of us want.

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago He's going to have to let a few go. Has to, or else this rebuild will take a lot longer than any of us want.

I think he will be replacing 4 players on top of Martin and Carey whose spots are filled for next year. Come back with this group and next year will be a complete waste. Who have we developed this year in terms of young guys getting minutes and that we can be excited about? Fans are most excited about the two freshman coming in next year and hardily anyone on the current roster.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m excited about Weston.
I also feel Tchikou has size and athleticism that you don’t give up on quickly.

Jury out on Rory and Lou
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I’m excited about Weston.

Jury out on Rory and Lou
Weston doesn't seem in game shape to me. He seems to tire then gets lazy with his passes and fouls. Tchikou could be serviceable.
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I’m excited about Weston.

Jury out on Rory and Lou
Reason fans are excited about the players coming in next year is either they are eternal optimists or its so bad this year and are grasping for anything positive...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

For the one leading the cut bait cheer for cox I admit that i would be fired up this year as well if our coach had a different name .. is that fair ?.. probably not but I believe in miller and can’t wait until we are playing good competitive ball and knocking on ncaa door every year

Having said that - this is a very difficult year and I would agree that next year is no given either -

A lot can and a lot will change tho so that gives me hope

I hate losing - I am a sore loser - this losing needs to end - we have a long season to go so let’s not squander the games and show improvement and be competitive the rest of the way

Yesterday crushed me - being 2-1 we would have been feeling so much better

But let’s not let yesterday or the games played so far define us the rest of the season

I don’t want to see any quit in our guys and I want to see heart and fight the rest of the way

Then things will turn around by march
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago For the one leading the cut bait cheer for cox I admit that i would be fired up this year as well if our coach had a different name .. is that fair ?.. probably not but I believe in miller and can’t wait until we are playing good competitive ball and knocking on ncaa door every year

Having said that - this is a very difficult year and I would agree that next year is no given either -

I hate losing - I am a sore loser - this losing needs to end - we have a long season to go so let’s not squander the games and show improvement and be competitive the rest of the way

But let’s not let yesterday or the games played so far define us the rest of the season

I don’t want to see any quit in our guys and I want to see heart and fight the rest of the way

ECR, it's January 8. We have won 4 games. I love the enthusiasm, but this is emBaronsing.

edit: LOL, I just looked and we actually won 5 games. What a year.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago He's going to have to let a few go. Has to, or else this rebuild will take a lot longer than any of us want.

I think he will be replacing 4 players on top of Martin and Carey whose spots are filled for next year. Come back with this group and next year will be a complete waste. Who have we developed this year in terms of young guys getting minutes and that we can be excited about? Fans are most excited about the two freshman coming in next year and hardily anyone on the current roster.
Which four would you suggest?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The new Brizz is your NIL will not be renewed.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

With the preseason they were getting ready for the regular season. After some bad losses, they were prepping for the A10 schedule. Now this is all so that we are ready for the A10 tournament. Once we don't make it, it'll be all for the 2023-2024 season. Are we tired of moving goalposts yet?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago For the one leading the cut bait cheer for cox I admit that i would be fired up this year as well if our coach had a different name .. is that fair ?.. probably not but I believe in miller and can’t wait until we are playing good competitive ball and knocking on ncaa door every year

ECR, it's January 8. We have won 4 games. I love the enthusiasm, but this is emBaronsing.

edit: LOL, I just looked and we actually won 5 games. What a year.

but how many quality losses do we have ?

emBARONsing !
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago With the preseason they were getting ready for the regular season. After some bad losses, they were prepping for the A10 schedule. Now this is all so that we are ready for the A10 tournament. Once we don't make it, it'll be all for the 2023-2024 season. Are we tired of moving goalposts yet?
I think it's more like in the preseason, we hired a new coach for 2+ million to make us good. We were an abysmal 15-16 record last year. Yet here we sit with a 5-10 record. Not good at all. I have faith, but this year has sucked.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

Which four would you suggest?
Honestly it could be anyone and I don’t think there would be much effect on the program. I will say Stewart, Thomas, Tchikou/Hutchinson and freeman. I am just not sure how good the relationship between Archie and Freeman is. Total guess, but sure as heck don’t want this sane team back. Awful team to watch play
0 x