Dan Yorke Has To Go

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Dan Yorke Has To Go

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Is it just me or do we have the worst announcer? I cringe every time he speaks.
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Dan Yorke Has To Go

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sharp guy, good radio show, but I agree with this.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Dan's act is being orchestrated from above,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Dan's act is being orchestrated from above,
Possibly. It may also be just him .

But one thing for sure his act is being allowed from above.

Feels more and more like a circus environment.

The game itself should be center stage.

Would be nice to show replays to take up some of that time during time outs.
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Problem with him is he has no feel for the game. Doesn't know when to go over the top on a hoop. Many mistakes on substitutions. When Lou came in the other night he kept looking around for help because he didn't know who he was.
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean I wouldn't go that far. I've thought he's added to the atmosphere when it needed it. But there are definitely better people.

My main problem is the overall volume - wayyyyy too loud - and the random ads we decide to throw in there after shots.

Watch a Celtics game. You don't hear Eddie P dropping ads. Just do what they do. It really isn't that hard.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

The Samb call was strange, other than I like him and think he contributes well to the atmosphere. The volume could go down a few notches for sure but that doesn't seem like a him problem.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Again, it was bad, real bad-bush league IMHO. Detracted from the event dramatically.

It’s Miller’s show I’m confident he’ll have a word. Not hard to fix.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I mean I wouldn't go that far. I've thought he's added to the atmosphere when it needed it. But there are definitely better people.

My main problem is the overall volume - wayyyyy too loud - and the random ads we decide to throw in there after shots.

Watch a Celtics game. You don't hear Eddie P dropping ads. Just do what they do. It really isn't that hard.
the ads aren't random, they're paid for.
0 x
:lol:
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. Time for someone who would take the role seriously and continuously improve their craft. Yorke has gotten more obnoxious and less connected to what’s happening right in front of his nose.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I mean I wouldn't go that far. I've thought he's added to the atmosphere when it needed it. But there are definitely better people.

Yes. Im aware that an ad would be paid for. I just think it’s awful that we agree to it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Yes. Im aware that an ad would be paid for. I just think it’s awful that we agree to it.
It's one thing when a replay (haha) is sponsored, but to insert the ad into the announcement of the score is so tacky
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

THANK YOU! Yes, Yorke has got to go! I was looking forward to the open scrimmage and sat in my seat and then I heard his voice and groaned. I had almost forgotten about him. ATP and I were at the Quinnipiac game and he was unbelievably awful!!! Neither of us have liked him from day 1 as an announcer. I don't come to the game to listen to him. I'm sure the guy is a nice guy and all, but definitely not cut out to be an announcer.
It's bad enough when Rhody is losing a game, I don't need my ears assaulted on top of it (not volume related). It really shouldn't be something that should ever really be a topic of conversation. If we're talking about the announcer and not the team time and time again, there is certainly something very wrong. This is far from the first time this board has brought this up. In all of my years of attending sporting events I've never felt the need to speak up against an announcer or even really noticed them all that much until Yorke came along.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Thorr is financially desperate as are many college athletic programs. If you find it that offensive express your feelings verbally each rime Yorke does an ad. While both are thick headed, eventually sponsors and URI will get the message. Say nothing and you will get even more of it. Anything for a buck.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Thorr is financially desperate as are many college athletic programs. If you find it that offensive express your feelings verbally each rime Yorke does an ad. While both are thick headed, eventually sponsors and URI will get the message. Say nothing and you will get even more of it. Anything for a buck.
You don’t know shit about fuck. I hope you lose power for 2 weeks.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I have wanted him gone since the 1st day I heard him. He is awful!
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

IMO not a problem with Yorke tonight. No reason to replace him sounded like message received. Nobody reads this forum tho….

:)

I am mystified why the Ram band doesn’t play more tho…
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
The Dude
Tom Garrick

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago IMO not a problem with Yorke tonight. No reason to replace him sounded like message received. Nobody reads this forum tho….

I am mystified why the Ram band doesn’t play more tho…
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Every once in a long while it happens. Like winning the lottery. Haha.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I thought he had dialed it back a bit, I will still go with less to more from The PA mic n the RC…..out on this matter.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You ever think our guys don’t want to hit 3s because they don’t want to hear a sponsor announcement?
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago You ever think our guys don’t want to hit 3s because they don’t want to hear a sponsor announcement?
Lmao
2 x
Qtaug
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Qtaug »

Truly offensive speech here. Gets on my nerves.......
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I liked the PA announcer we had during the Baron days. He brought an intensity to the game and made those rivalry home games a lot better.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago I liked the PA announcer we had during the Baron days. He brought an intensity to the game and made those rivalry home games a lot better.
Yes, Mike Mancuso was excellent. He was young and hungry to build his career in Play by Play announcing which he did successfully.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I hope the powers that be understand how dissatisfied we are with Dan. If it is truly a "new era" he should be replaced. He is hard to listen to, the screeching mispronunciation of the players names, the l-o-o-o-ng exaggerations after a play, all is is big turnoff and embarrassing.

Give someone like Stone, or anther graduate, the opportunity. Dan's a big Dayton fan and graduate and his radio station supports the Pee Cee Criers.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yes. Even though I said earlier I was done with the subject, I have to offer up this. I think the problem is this. Dan probably wants to be part of inside of the RI sports scene. He is a sports fan, and found this gig as a way to become an “insider”. And as a media guy he probably feels he needs to add some buzz and juice to enhance the RC show and experience. Couple this with when you get a guy that gets paid to talk, you get a lot of talk.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

At this point after so many YEARS and games, I have no expectation that Yorke can improve and do the job and not distract from the game. There needs to be a change.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I hope the powers that be understand how dissatisfied we are with Dan. If it is truly a "new era" he should be replaced. He is hard to listen to, the screeching mispronunciation of the players names, the l-o-o-o-ng exaggerations after a play, all is is big turnoff and embarrassing.

Give someone like Stone, or anther graduate, the opportunity. Dan's a big Dayton fan and graduate and his radio station supports the Pee Cee Criers.
I never really minded him, but the QU game he was beyond brutal.

I sat with someone who rarely goes to games, and he even said he was awful.

The long exaggerations and ridiculous screaming made my ears bleed, and obviously I wasn’t the only one who felt like this.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I hope the powers that be understand how dissatisfied we are with Dan. If it is truly a "new era" he should be replaced. He is hard to listen to, the screeching mispronunciation of the players names, the l-o-o-o-ng exaggerations after a play, all is is big turnoff and embarrassing.

“Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrode Island” I can’t stand it! I agree with what ATP had stated; Mike Mancuso did an excellent job. We 💯 need someone young and tenacious in the announcer role. I really can’t stand anything related to Pee Cee minus a handful of alums I love and respect from there.
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

there’s only one thing left to be said …

CUT YORKE BAIT
5 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Will be attending tonight’s game. Let’s see if there’s any change in Yorke’s style.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

As I said he was much improved Saturday afternoon. Hopefully it gets better.

His act in the opener was horrendous.

Looking forward to tonight but packing some earplugs just in case.

Was interesting hearing EZBuckets on the mic last night.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

JV on the PA mic last nite, EZ listening? The deciders probably will not have to look very far for the Yorke replacement. Buckets looking to transition out if hid current role, it sounds.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago the screeching mispronunciation of the players names,
In Hurley's last season here, Dayton had Giannis' younger brother on the roster. In their ga.e at the RC, Yorke pronounced Antetokounmpo about a dozen different ways and not a single one was correct. Like, even at the time, his brother was a top 3-5 player in the NBA and literally has the same last name that national guys pronounce all the time - how does Yorke not figure out how to pronounce it???
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago JV on the PA mic last nite, EZ listening? The deciders probably will not have to look very far for the Yorke replacement. Buckets looking to transition out if hid current role, it sounds.
JV did a great job last night with the women game. I would love to have him for the mens, but sure would miss him as the hype man also!
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

CUT YORKE BAIT!!!
3 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

JV is outstanding. Unfortunately, Dan Yorke is so far up the Governor's ass that it will never happen. JV, even at his young age, has already become a URI treasure. Think big. Can his ass.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

As much as I would love to see JV at the PA mic, my guess is the Guv has bigger issues than delving into with a guy’s side gig for 8-10 games in the RC.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I like that Yorke stopped announcing the t shirt toss after 3's later in the game. It's distracting. It forces him to talk for almost an entire play going down the court. It is so dumb. So unbecoming of a D1 basketball program. I've NEVER heard of these sponsored things announced by a PA during the game.

One 3 point call from Ish sounded like a visitor hit the 3, because he was too focused on delivering the ad. It's dumb. Please stop it. PLEASE STOP DOING DUMB THINGS. JUST CALL THE GAME LIKE EVERY OTHER BASKETBALL TEAM AND HOME ARENA CALLS GAMES AND PLAYS.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I didn't notice him that much last night. That's an improvement.
5 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago As much as I would love to see JV at the PA mic, my guess is the Guv has bigger issues than delving into with a guy’s side gig for 8-10 games in the RC.
You may know basketball, but you don't know politics. Dan Yorke is a "volunteer" for the governor, a drinking and golf buddy of the governor and has been shill on the radio for him the past 6 months. Not only would McKee not let it happens but Thorr would never even suggest it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Some here probably would suggest I know nothing about either.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago As much as I would love to see JV at the PA mic, my guess is the Guv has bigger issues than delving into with a guy’s side gig for 8-10 games in the RC.
You may know basketball, but you don't know politics. Dan Yorke is a "volunteer" for the governor, a drinking and golf buddy of the governor and has been shill on the radio for him the past 6 months. Not only would McKee not let it happens but Thorr would never even suggest it.
maybe supreme leader can get DY to be the voice of our new soccer team too.
1 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago
maybe supreme leader can get DY to be the voice of our new soccer team too.
Shorter commute for sure, is Dan bilingual? Think that be a perquisiteforthe job, no? No! I think gggggggggoooooooaaaaaaallllllll is universal.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dan has to go. Sometimes I have to go, too. But nobody talks about it. 🙈 :lol:

Sorry….every time I open KB and see this title, my mind starts to wander.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dan read the board, or a friend told him. He chilled. He's a non-issue now.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Dan read the board, or a friend told him. He chilled. He's a non-issue now.
Yup, he was completely different than the first game. Very noticeably, in a good way.
2 x
Go Rhody
The Dude
Tom Garrick

He was definitely an issue at the Stony Brook game. I'm not old enough where I've begun to lose my hearing yet, sadly. Maybe not as bad as the Quinnipiac game, but still pretty bad.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bump. The guy just doesn’t sense how shrill and amateur he sounds. We need a change.
4 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

He said the wrong score and team like 10 times tonight lol
3 x