Ring of Honor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Ring of Honor

Unread post by reef »

They were both outstanding hopefully Arch can find someone that can play close to their level
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I was a tad too young to remember Jiggy - I was alive, but wasn't really following sports much at the time. Owens was amazing. Him and Tyson were the best two point guards I've seen play for Rhody, with Silk getting the slight edge for me.
Jiggy was built like his older brother, ABA legend Super John Williamson, but two or three inches shorter. He was a lot quicker than you'd expect for someone built like him, had a good jumper and played just about every minute of his senior year.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I was a tad too young to remember Jiggy - I was alive, but wasn't really following sports much at the time. Owens was amazing. Him and Tyson were the best two point guards I've seen play for Rhody, with Silk getting the slight edge for me.
Jiggy was built like his older brother, ABA legend Super John Williamson, but two or three inches shorter. He was a lot quicker than you'd expect for someone built like him, had a good jumper and played just about every minute of his senior year.
Don't forget the toothpick!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Loved Jiggy and those teams. Sadly, my memory has faded over the years. So many early favorites for me…Jiggy, Sly, Pappy, the Wright’s and more.

For now, my memories of Silk, Tommy G and other favorites going forward are clearer. I am going to have to go watch some vid’s to re-fresh my memories the 70’s.

Great stuff in the prior posts 👍
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Loved Jiggy and those teams. Sadly, my memory has faded over the years. So many early favorites for me…Jiggy, Sly, Pappy, the Wright’s and more.

For now, my memories of Silk, Tommy G and other favorites going forward are clearer. I am going to have to go watch some vid’s to re-fresh my memories the 70’s.

Great stuff in the prior posts 👍
Some of the other guys on those teams when I was in school in the mid to late 70s......Irv Chatman, John Nelson, Mark Cizynski, Carlton Smith, Randy Wilds, Percy Davis, Lem Johnson.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So much fun watching film of Silk, Tommy, Kenny, Bonzie, John and Mergin. That 70 foot bounce pass from Silk to Tommy is a thing of beauty.

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That sure was and Silks strip steal of a Missouri player then coast to coast layup was an all timer too !!
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So much fun watching film of Silk, Tommy, Kenny, Bonzie, John and Mergin. That 70 foot bounce pass from Silk to Tommy is a thing of beauty.

Great stuff! Thanks, 78. Love that team.

Love Penders’ quote about Syracuse and the A10. Love that swagger. Really want to see the conference get that swagger back.

Glory days for the A10 back then with Temple #1 that year and Rhody knocking off a Natty favorite in Syracuse.

I want another run like that and one like the Elite 8 run.I am not asking for much. :D
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So I know the 98 team didn't get their full honors because Tyson and ARD were on the road coaching and Cuttino had prior commitments with the NBA All Star Game, so I wonder if they'll do something this year when Brown comes to the Ryan Center 12/6. Not sure what Cuttino is up to, but I looked at Georgia's schedule to see what ARD has going on. They have a game in Athens 12/5 then are off until 12/16. Seems like ARD could make it up here 12/6 and we can do something that night for the 98 team
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago So I know the 98 team didn't get their full honors because Tyson and ARD were on the road coaching and Cuttino had prior commitments with the NBA All Star Game, so I wonder if they'll do something this year when Brown comes to the Ryan Center 12/6. Not sure what Cuttino is up to, but I looked at Georgia's schedule to see what ARD has going on. They have a game in Athens 12/5 then are off until 12/16. Seems like ARD could make it up here 12/6 and we can do something that night for the 98 team
That would be awesome.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago So I know the 98 team didn't get their full honors because Tyson and ARD were on the road coaching and Cuttino had prior commitments with the NBA All Star Game, so I wonder if they'll do something this year when Brown comes to the Ryan Center 12/6. Not sure what Cuttino is up to, but I looked at Georgia's schedule to see what ARD has going on. They have a game in Athens 12/5 then are off until 12/16. Seems like ARD could make it up here 12/6 and we can do something that night for the 98 team
Would be extremely cool if someone in the athletic department is paying as much attention as you are.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 6 months ago
Would be extremely cool if someone in the athletic department is paying as much attention as you are.
Clearly they were, good on them!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago
TruePoint wrote: 6 months ago
Clearly they were, good on them!
What a fucking call on your part nice work
3 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Great decision!!!!!!!
NOW promoted the crap out of it!!!!!!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really really good call !
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Did something get announced that I missed?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI officially announced that Tyson, Cuttino, and ARD will be at the Brown game with their jerseys going into the rafters.

"Wednesday, Dec. 6
Ring of Honor/Lights and Sirens International and Esperanza-Hope Toy Drive/$2 Rhody Hour Popcorn – vs. Brown
Rhode Island legends Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley and Antonio Reynolds Dean will return to Kingston and officially be inducted into the Rhode Island Athletics Ring of Honor. Jerseys for all three will be unveiled and hung in the Ryan Center rafters. Former Ram Ibn Bakari also will hold the annual Lights and Sirens International and Esperanza-Hope Toy Drive. Fans will also be able to purchase $2 during the hour leading up to the opening tip. This game also will feature a Rhody Hour, with $2 popcorn available during the hour before opening tip."

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/10/30/pro ... unced.aspx
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Did something get announced that I missed?
Promotional/event calendar was released for home games. Should be able to see it on all socials.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Did something get announced that I missed?
Yes. 3 different dollar beer nights.
You had to respond with a secret code by 4pm today, to get a voucher for the dollar beer games:
11/18 Northwestern, 12/30 Northeastern, and 2/3/24 Duquesne.

Can't believe you missed it....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/11/7/gene ... dec-6.aspx

Rhode Island men's basketball legends Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley and Antonio Reynolds Dean will return to Kingston to formally be inducted into the Rhode Island Athletics Ring of Honor on Wednesday, Dec. 6.

As members of the Ring of Honor, Wheeler, Mobley and Reynolds Dean will have their names unveiled in the Ryan Center rafters as part of a special ceremony at the men's basketball home game against Brown on Dec. 6. All three men were announced last season as part of the initial Ring of Honor selections, but they were unable to attend.

Now they will officially join Carlton "Silk" Owens, Tom Garrick and Kenny Green as members of the Ring of Honor.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looking forward to this a week from today.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

For contest purposes, I thought this game honoring legends would draw one of the best crowds of the season.

More importantly, I hope many turnout for the guys being honored.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Looking forward to this a week from today.
Cool hopefully there will be some sort of video of the ceremony for those who can’t be in the building to witness it live , if so please post here thanks
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This is going to be great, so fortunate to have four tix to the game against Brown!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

nm
Last edited by theblueram 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But have to say to see those three together at URI again, special. Real special!!!!!!
2 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Playing on one leg and not being able to practice…. Kenny Green.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago When is this happening? Pre-game, halftime post game? Doesn't say.
most likely halftime
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago When is this happening? Pre-game, halftime post game? Doesn't say.
most likely halftime
Yeah I just read a post above and it said halftime. Thanks
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, we'll now have the 3 guys from the '88 team and the 3 guys from the '98 team. Who should be next? Some of Hurley's guys? Personally I'd like to dig deeper into the past. Guys like Art Stephenson, Steve Chubin, Steve Rowell, John Fultz, Jiggy Williamson and Pappy Owens could be considered. Maybe more recent guys like Jimmy Baron or Will Daniels. I'd also like Don Kaull to be considered for his lifetime dedication to URI basketball. Any others? Sly is controversial because of his off court troubles, but he's the greatest to ever wear the Keaney Blue, in my opinion.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago So, we'll now have the 3 guys from the '88 team and the 3 guys from the '98 team. Who should be next? Some of Hurley's guys? Personally I'd like to dig deeper into the past. Guys like Art Stephenson, Steve Chubin, Steve Rowell, John Fultz, Jiggy Williamson and Pappy Owens could be considered. Maybe more recent guys like Jimmy Baron or Will Daniels. I'd also like Don Kaull to be considered for his lifetime dedication to URI basketball. Any others? Sly is controversial because of his off court troubles, but he's the greatest to ever wear the Keaney Blue, in my opinion.
I just don’t recall, is there eligibility criteria?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago So, we'll now have the 3 guys from the '88 team and the 3 guys from the '98 team. Who should be next? Some of Hurley's guys? Personally I'd like to dig deeper into the past. Guys like Art Stephenson, Steve Chubin, Steve Rowell, John Fultz, Jiggy Williamson and Pappy Owens could be considered. Maybe more recent guys like Jimmy Baron or Will Daniels. I'd also like Don Kaull to be considered for his lifetime dedication to URI basketball. Any others? Sly is controversial because of his off court troubles, but he's the greatest to ever wear the Keaney Blue, in my opinion.
Chet Jaworski was a 1939 Consensus All-American as the nation's leading scorer, with the Helms Foundation naming him College Player of the Year.

Stan Stutz was a 1940 Helms All American, 1941 and 1942 Consensus Second Team All American, and led the nation in scoring in each of those three consecutive seasons. He played three seasons in the precursor of the NBA, and refereed for nine seasons in the NBA in more than 1000 games.

Bill Rutledge was Madison Square Garden Second Team All American in 1941 and 1942. In 41 we were co-Yankee Conference champions with UConn and in 1942 we were outright Yankee Conference champions.

Horace "Pappy" Owens was a 1983 AP Honorable Mention All American and first team All-Atlantic 10 player. The 1980-81 team he was on were co-regular season champions of the Eastern Athletic Association with Duquesne and were the number one seed in the conference tournament.

Jaworski, Stutz, Rutledge, and Owens are the four people that have received some type of All American status that would be eligible and I would make them next year's class to be added to the Ring of Honor.

Sly Williams doesn't qualify because they didn't graduate and isn't a member of the Hall of Fame. Also not eligible because they aren't in the URI Hall of Fame is Jimmy Baron. In 2009 he was Second Team Academic All American and Senior All-American, was 2006 A10 All-Freshman, 2009 All A10 First Team, with a significant international career. Still has the career program records for most 3 pointers made and free throw percentage
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
Ring of Honor Criteria
A Ring of Honor candidate must...
Have graduated from the University of Rhode Island
Be 10 years removed from his playing/coaching career at Rhode Island
Be a member of the Rhode Island Athletics Hall of Fame
Have demonstrated outstanding character, integrity and commitment to the University during his or her athletic career
Have earned distinction in two or more of the following categories:
- All-American
-Year-End Individual Conference Award
- Multiple All-Conference Team Honors
- All-Time Program Statistical Leader Upon Completion of Career
- Led Nation in Single Season or Career Statistic
- Won an Individual and/or Team Championship
- Had Significant Professional/Olympic/International Playing Career Success
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Don seems like a no brainer, I'm sure something will be done for him in the coming years.

Whether naming press row after him, something in rafters, etc.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Ring of Honor Criteria
Have demonstrated outstanding character, integrity and commitment to the University during his or her athletic career
- All-American
Does ARD have 2 of those categories?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As an FYI - Jiggy Williamson, Sly Williams, Jimmy Baron, and Will Daniels are not even presently in the URI Athletics HOF. Chubin, Fultz, Kaull, Owens, Rowell, and Stephenson are.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago

Ring of Honor Criteria
- All-American
I mean, yea.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Don seems like a no brainer, I'm sure something will be done for him in the coming years.

Don should be there for his lifetime of contributions to the program. Maybe do something while Caroline is still healthy enough to participate? And Jim Norman's microphone (or a replica thereof) should be hanging from the rafters.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago

Ring of Honor Criteria
- All-American
A10 Rookie of the Year in 96 (Year-End Individual Conference Award)
1999 A10 Tournament championship
Played professionally from 99-08

He might also qualify in other ways as well
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure if he technically qualifies for the rafters. He was part of the 1965-66 Yankee Conference championship team (as an aside, why not banners recognizing or Yankee Conference championships?), so that knocks off one of the qualifications. His URI Hall of Fame bio does say he was All-Conferenc in basketball, but it doesn't specify if this was an individual award like Rookie, Player, or Defensive Player of the Year, or if he make all-conference in multiple years, so those two categories are possible, but I don't think he makes it in on that. You could add exceptional post-playing career service to the University as part of the criteria and that would put him in for sure
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 months ago

Don should be there for his lifetime of contributions to the program. Maybe do something while Caroline is still healthy enough to participate? And Jim Norman's microphone (or a replica thereof) should be hanging from the rafters.
Ideally if Don Kaull qualifies for rafter status you could name press row after Jim Norman. If Don doesn't qualify than perhaps press row for Don Kaull and the post game interview room for Jim Norman? Also, that could be something to improve the backdrop of press row by having it named in honor of Don or Jim.

As an aside, does anyone have any kind of recording of Jim Norman?
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

COULD FRANK KEANEY QUALIFY THO NOT A RHODY GRAD; ERNIE CALVERLY IS A MUST
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I might be able to make the 2 hour drive for this. Game time decision. I really hope there's a nice turnout for this. These guys are legends and deserve it!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

kal-65 wrote: 4 months ago COULD FRANK KEANEY QUALIFY THO NOT A RHODY GRAD; ERNIE CALVERLY IS A MUST
Isn't Ernie already up there?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ernie is not just up there, but unlike the Ring of Honor members his number 3 is retired.

There's not really a path to include great URI coaches to be included in the Ring of Honor. Obviously Frank Keaney is deserving of being recognized. Then it gets complicated about which coaches, if any, you would honor. For instance, Tom Penders was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame and took a URI team to the Sweet Sixteen, but was only here for two years. Can you be honored if you were only here two years? If so, then does Harrick warrant honoring since he took one team to the Elite Eight and another team won an A10 championship? Like I said, it gets complicated. I'll just say that if we're going to honor Penders, Harrick, and/or Skinner it should be done sooner rather than later
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago Ernie is not just up there, but unlike the Ring of Honor members his number 3 is retired.

There's not really a path to include great URI coaches to be included in the Ring of Honor. Obviously Frank Keaney is deserving of being recognized. Then it gets complicated about which coaches, if any, you would honor. For instance, Tom Penders was inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame and took a URI team to the Sweet Sixteen, but was only here for two years. Can you be honored if you were only here two years? If so, then does Harrick warrant honoring since he took one team to the Elite Eight and another team won an A10 championship? Like I said, it gets complicated. I'll just say that if we're going to honor Penders, Harrick, and/or Skinner it should be done sooner rather than later
Penders and Harrick led two of the greatest teams ever here.

No brainer they should be included.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago Ernie is not just up there, but unlike the Ring of Honor members his number 3 is retired.

A separate category for special coaches? Such as above names. Fast forwarding way ahead, leave space for Tammi. Criteria TBD.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of Harrick, will he be here tomorrow night?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I tend to agree with you, especially with Penders who is in the College Basketball Hall of Fame

Ok, so then do you include Al Skinner? Was an assistant on the 88 team, went to two NCAA tournaments as head coach, built the roster for the 98 team. I would also include him.

Do you include Hurley? Went to the tournament twice, won an A10 championship and a regular season championship. I would include him.

What about Jack Kraft? One NCAA tournament while here. I guess this is probably the cutline for where things get dicey.

Do you include any head coach that's made the tournament at least once? Do you have multiple things a coach could qualify with like the players and a coach has to have at least two to get in? Like you have to have gone to a tournament here and either win a conference regular season title, win a conference tournament championship, or be a member of the basketball or college basketball hall of fame? I'm not sure personally
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I tend to agree with you, especially with Penders who is in the College Basketball Hall of Fame

Ok, so then do you include Al Skinner? Was an assistant on the 88 team, went to two NCAA tournaments as head coach, built the roster for the 98 team. I would also include him.

Do you include Hurley? Went to the tournament twice, won an A10 championship and a regular season championship. I would include him.

What about Jack Kraft? One NCAA tournament while here. I guess this is probably the cutline for where things get dicey.

Do you include any head coach that's made the tournament at least once? Do you have multiple things a coach could qualify with like the players and a coach has to have at least two to get in? Like you have to have gone to a tournament here and either win a conference regular season title, win a conference tournament championship, or be a member of the basketball or college basketball hall of fame? I'm not sure personally
One thing to remember about Jack Kraft. The tournament was only 32 teams back then so it was much harder to get in.
1 x