11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Quinnipiac University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Monday, November 7, 2022
7:00PM

Media
TV: YurView/ESPN+
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Quinnipiac Fan Forum

Ladies & Gentleman…It’s Miller Time! For those of you who have been living under a rock these past 8 months, The University of Rhode Island has a new men’s basketball head coach in Archie Miller, who comes in with a .630 career winning percentage. Archie is looking to right the ship after a tumultuous few years under David Cox. The only hold overs from the previous regime are assistant coach Austin Carroll & Ryan McCloskey, who was promoted to Assistant Director of Operations. As for this year’s roster, there are 6 holdovers from last year (Jalen Carey, Ishmael Leggett, Malik Martin, Sebastian Thomas, Abdou Samb, & Parnell Pierre) that are on the squad this year. (FYI – there have been some uniform number changes to be aware of – Thomas went from 0 to 4, Carey went from 15 to 5, & Pierre went from 31 to 14). Rhody lost 8 players from last season (2 graduated & 6 transferred), so Coach Miller had some work to do to rebuild the roster. The Rams welcome three notable transfers in Brayon Freeman from GW, Brandon Weston from Seton Hall, & Josaphat Bilau (who is currently injured) from Wichita State. Freeman & Weston are the two biggest additions to this year’s team. Throw in redshirt sophomore Alex Tchikou from France (& Alabama for 3 games) as well as a few freshmen like Rory Stewart from London & you have yourself the 2022-23 University of Rhode Island Rams.

The Rams will open the season Monday night the 7th against Quinnipiac University. The Bobcats were predicted to finish 4th in the MAAC. They are led by preseason 1st team player senior Matt Balanc, who was their leading scorer last season. Quinnipiac is a little thinner downlow as their big rebounder from last season graduated, Kevin Marfo (10.2 boards per game). Dezi Jones, who is a preseason MAAC 3rd team, was the Bobcats second leading scorer from last with 11.5 per game. They do get a boost this year from Savion Lewis, who is back after missing most of last year with a season ending injury.

The Rams have a young roster this season with only 2 upperclassmen, Malik Martin (senior) & Jalen Cary (redshirt junior). They are quite inexperienced downlow, so we will probably see Alex Tchikou & Rory Stewart play meaningful minutes with Martin will be playing the 4. Thankfully the core 4 returning from last year (Thomas, Carey, Ish, & Martin) have logged a lot of minutes together that will hopefully mask the inexperience of our 5.

Fun(?) Fact: The men’s team start their season with the school that ended the women’s season last year, when they lost to Quinnipiac in the first round of WNIT. Quite the revenge game. Ha. Anyway, the polls are in & I predict a Rhody win. My prediction URI 69 – Quinnipiac 58. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
0-0, 0-0 in the MAAC
14-17, 7-13 in the MAAC (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 231 (142)*
RPI: 230 (181)*
KenPom: 210 (141)
BPI: 219 (128)*
Sagarin: 247 (125)*
Barttovik: 186 (127)
* Denotes last season

Leaders:
Points – Matt Balanc 14.6 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Matt Balanc 4.2 (Sr., G)
Assists – Dezi Jones 3.0 (Jr., G) (3.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 2-1
H: 2-0, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/11/10 73-66 L at Quinnipiac
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Quinnipiac
Last edited by spookydog 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
11 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/7 | Quinnipiac | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ace »

Fatts’s stepdad is now an assistant at Quinnipiac. Important? No. Interesting to me? Yes, very.
7 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I remember when we offered Balanc 5 years ago and were actually recruiting him pretty hard.
His final 2 were Quinnipiac and Rhode Island.
Many fans on KB back then felt he was going to be a major impact player for them, he is.

Another familiar name is Alexis Reyes (6'7" wing) who we also recruited.
Transferred to Quinnipiac after playing only 10 games his freshman year at ECU.

Other players of note:
(F)Chenery- Last season started at wing averaged 8.3 pts.
(G)Lewis- Starter before getting injured, ended his season, averaged 9.4 pts/4.3 rebs.
(G)Williams - Averaged 8.4 pts, made 13 starts.
(G)Jones- Starter and averaged 11.5 pts.

3 Bigs transfers:
(F)Taylor - 2 injury riddled seasons at Notre Dame
(F)Nweke - 3 seasons at Columbia (16 pts/6 rebs. last season)
(F)Otieno - Juco transfer from Kilgore (11 pts/7.6 rebs)

We obviously should win, but no game this season will be a walk in the park.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

One additional note: Shaidzon will be opening up special for this game. They aren't normally open on Mondays but are making an exception given there is a home game. See you there.
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Since I live near by, I plan to go to Harvard to see the women in action - I presume I can watch the game on ESPN+ later?

Anyone else thinking of going to the women's game?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Looking forward to wearing a mask Monday and for the next three years worth of home games!
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

WPRI's Morey Hershgordon is also a Quinnipiac alum.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love it our first game thread is here !!

I will guess URI 68-59
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Looking forward to wearing a mask Monday and for the next three years worth of home games!
what are you even talking about. They didn't require them at the scrimmage...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Looking forward to wearing a mask Monday and for the next three years worth of home games!
Complete sarcasm as posters here, towards the end of last season when masks were gone, guaranteed we’d be wearing masks this year plus the next two years and I constantly laughed at how ridiculous the posts were.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Complete sarcasm as posters here, towards the end of last season when masks were gone, guaranteed we’d be wearing masks this year plus the next two years and I constantly laughed at how ridiculous the posts were.
And that person hasn't posted since their little time out a few months ago so not sure if this jab is going to land...unless that person has become a permanent lurker here.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Placing the attendance over/under at 5000, what are we taking?
0 x
Go Rhody
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Placing the attendance over/under at 5000, what are we taking?
over. The student section will be banged out for game 1. After that though I would expect quite a bit of regression
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Placing the attendance over/under at 5000, what are we taking?
Over.
First game and Archie's debut.
No mask and vaccine restrictions.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I’ll go over, too. First game for new coach with positive expectations for the future.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Depends on the students. They didn't show for the scrimmage on Saturday. First 500 students would have gained priority seating for the PC game and there were nowhere near 500 students there. As of now, about 3200 tickets have been sold for the Quinnipiac game. I'm going under. Start winning and the numbers will increase.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Depends on the students. They didn't show for the scrimmage on Saturday. First 500 students would have gained priority seating for the PC game and there were nowhere near 500 students there. As of now, about 3200 tickets have been sold for the Quinnipiac game. I'm going under. Start winning and the numbers will increase.
I agree. Most young students don't know Archie as typical CBB fans do. Lots of unknowns to the general public. Hoping for the best.
1 x
GO RAMS
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I'm a little concerned on attendance - despite the high level of hype for Archie this summer. As mentioned in the scrimmage thread and in published quotes, Archie has mentioned reliance this team will have on packing the RC. Halloween weekend is a tough draw for students to attend a scrimmage, but I counted maybe 50 on Saturday.

Stating the obvious I also hope it's packed and we get a good crowd - but I expect 5,000 to be the max.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

HASwatTeam wrote: 1 year ago I'm a little concerned on attendance - despite the high level of hype for Archie this summer. As mentioned in the scrimmage thread and in published quotes, Archie has mentioned reliance this team will have on packing the RC. Halloween weekend is a tough draw for students to attend a scrimmage, but I counted maybe 50 on Saturday.

Stating the obvious I also hope it's packed and we get a good crowd - but I expect 5,000 to be the max.
Students at URI don’t care about Archie, they care about winning. Program hasn’t been fun to watch for a number of years. Hope I’m wrong but it will be a struggle
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just wondering....have we ever had over 5000 on opening night, other than the first game ever at the RC?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Just wondering....have we ever had over 5000 on opening night, other than the first game ever at the RC?
Multiple times the last few years.

Had it last year.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

OVER !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Just wondering....have we ever had over 5000 on opening night, other than the first game ever at the RC?
Both Hurley and Cox's first year.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Between Covid and poor performance during the past few years, there isn't much momentum for attending men's basketball games. Getting off to a good start and beating PC are needed.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
HASwatTeam wrote: 1 year ago I'm a little concerned on attendance - despite the high level of hype for Archie this summer. As mentioned in the scrimmage thread and in published quotes, Archie has mentioned reliance this team will have on packing the RC. Halloween weekend is a tough draw for students to attend a scrimmage, but I counted maybe 50 on Saturday.

Students at URI don’t care about Archie, they care about winning. Program hasn’t been fun to watch for a number of years. Hope I’m wrong but it will be a struggle
Agree with this, and adding that this isn't a URI-specific thing either. I think attendance is going to be pretty soft this year unless the team drastically surprises, like by winning the Cayman Classic and/or the PC game.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Agree with this, and adding that this isn't a URI-specific thing either. I think attendance is going to be pretty soft this year unless the team drastically surprises, like by winning the Cayman Classic and/or the PC game.
In my opinion there’s essentially one of two ways to get students and casual fans to care.

1. Win, which seems to be the path we’re following. Easy enough schedule that the record hopefully reflects a successful team (even if they aren’t battle tested)

2. Big name opponents. Outside of PC, really lacking that type of draw this year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think Archie is a lot smarter than to expect that this program is going to have Dayton-level attendance and demand for tickets from day 1. As Dan would have told him I’m sure, our fans will show up but you have to give them a reason first. First comes the on-court results, then comes the fan engagement. (See my tagline, below, which I’ve had for more than a decade and remains true)
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

if you win, they will come.

Rhody by 5, 69-64
1 x
:lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't get that caught up in attendance numbers, because I agree with KingstonLane, SGreenwell, TP and others, its a really simple formula. Win and/or have marquee matchups and people will show up. Putting much more thought in to it beyond that isn't worth it.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have been tracking Ryan Center attendance by game since 2014. Since then, five of the seven openers that allowed fans had over 5k attendees.

2021 | Boston Univ | 5,133
2020 | Seton Hall | COVID-No Fans Allowed
2019 | LIU | 4,258
2018 | Bryant | 5,010
2017 | UNC-Asheville | 6,367
2016 | Dartmouth | 6,052
2015 | American | 5,089
2014 | Pace | 4,210

In the 19 seasons that the Ryan Center has been open and allowed fans, the per game (296) average attendance is 5,100.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
I have been tracking Ryan Center attendance by game since 2014. Since then, five of the seven openers that allowed fans had over 5k attendees.

2021 | Boston Univ | 5,133
2020 | Seton Hall | COVID-No Fans Allowed
2019 | LIU | 4,258
2018 | Bryant | 5,010
2017 | UNC-Asheville | 6,367
2016 | Dartmouth | 6,052
2015 | American | 5,089
2014 | Pace | 4,210

In the 19 seasons that the Ryan Center has been open and allowed fans, the per game (296) average attendance is 5,100.
Thanks. I'm actually surprised by those numbers considering the opening night opponent is usually a cupcake type team.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Another preview of the game from Stretching the Floor:

[https://stretchingthefloor.blogspot.com ... teams.html]
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Like Truepoint said, the team's gotta win and the fan engagement has to be spot on. The Rhody Ruckus has to be consistent with the advertising around campus + the giveaways. The casual student fans won't come to games unless they're giving out free tshirts or food, so do some sort of promotion and get them down to the Ryan Center! If the team is exciting to watch the word will spread and hopefully more students will show up. I love how much Archie has stressed the importance of a packed student section. Last season the students were awesome for the home games vs Bryant, BC and BU btw.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Like Truepoint said, the team's gotta win and the fan engagement has to be spot on. The Rhody Ruckus has to be consistent with the advertising around campus + the giveaways. Your casual student fans won't come to games unless they're giving out free tshirts or food. It's just how it goes. If the team is exciting to watch the word will spread and hopefully more students will show up. I love how much Archie has stressed the importance of a packed student section. Last season the students were awesome for the home games vs Bryant, BC and BU btw.
At the end of the season, there were fewer than 100 students for the last few games.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Shinze88 wrote: 1 year ago Another preview of the game from Stretching the Floor:

[https://stretchingthefloor.blogspot.com ... teams.html]
Thanks, 88. Good write up. Quick read. Definitely worth checking out.

Check out the more in-depth Rhody review by clicking the link in the write up. Good stuff.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Like Truepoint said, the team's gotta win and the fan engagement has to be spot on. The Rhody Ruckus has to be consistent with the advertising around campus + the giveaways. Your casual student fans won't come to games unless they're giving out free tshirts or food. It's just how it goes. If the team is exciting to watch the word will spread and hopefully more students will show up. I love how much Archie has stressed the importance of a packed student section. Last season the students were awesome for the home games vs Bryant, BC and BU btw.
At the end of the season, there were fewer than 100 students for the last few games.
Ok… and how was the record at that point? Right, students lost interest cause the team sucked.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’ll go over but just barely somewhere between 5000 and 5100
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok… and how was the record at that point? Right, students lost interest cause the team sucked.
So, what has changed in their minds? Why would any of them go to see Quinnipiac?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe there is some buzz on campus with the start of the season, kids on campus for the first time wanna get behind Ole State U, others wanna check out with new coach and new season, nite off the books with time to hydrate, anyone have any insight as to the on campus scene?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So, what has changed in their minds? Why would any of them go to see Quinnipiac?
First game of the season, new coaches and players.
Curiosity, entertainment, something to do on a Monday night.
No classes on Tuesday.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Dude it's not entirely about the opponent lol. It's a Monday night, no classes the next day. It's simply something for them to do after classes.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dude it's not entirely about the opponent lol. It's a Monday night, no classes the next day. It's simply something for them to do after classes.
Free chicken wings after classes today. That's something to do. How many did it?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Free chicken wings after classes today. That's something to do. How many did it?
Uhhhh Idk? It's an open practice :roll: :roll: . If you don't want free food then what's exciting about that? I appreciate that the Ruckus is trying to get students involved, but they should've done a Rhody Madness this year. Big missed opportunity.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We’ll see if Goodman is accurate but love this publicity.
1 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Goodman isn’t saying anything different than what some of us have been saying. It’s a rebuild. Our returning players are at best all role players. We have 2 potential program building guys (Freeman and Weston) and then a whole lot of unknowns. A .500 season would be a helluva job by Arch.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I still feel like this Roster is twice as good as Hurleys first season or second, or third. I'm withholding judgment until a few games in at least. We got the Artist, and some good tools, let em' work.
1 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Goodman isn’t saying anything different than what some of us have been saying. It’s a rebuild. Our returning players are at best all role players. We have 2 potential program building guys (Freeman and Weston) and then a whole lot of unknowns. A .500 season would be a helluva job by Arch.
Goodman and Archie are friends, he wouldn’t say this without his blessing.

Archie has consistently said this won’t be an immediate success. Seems like a continued theme of him messaging low expectations. Under promise, over deliver
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I still feel like this Roster is twice as good as Hurleys first season or second, or third. I'm withholding judgment until a few games in at least. We got the Artist, and some good tools, let em' work.
Twice as good as years two and three?

Year two had Xavier Munford, TJ Buchanan, Gil Biruta, EC Matthews, and Hassan Martin as it's core.

Year three you take away Munford but add Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett.

Not only is this year's roster not twice as good, I'm not sure they're even as good. Lots of intriguing pieces, but almost as many question marks.

There's so much to be excited about I don't know why people need to rush the process. Why isn't our best investment ever as a University, an accomplished coach, intriguing players, and a bright future enough?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
Add Jeff Goodman to the list ECR will prove wrong

0 x