PROJO URI Football Coverage - or lack thereof

All things Rhody Rams football.
ramster
Frank Keaney

PROJO URI Football Coverage - or lack thereof

Unread post by ramster »

Sad to see how URI Football Games played on Saturdays do not get written up in Sunday's paper, but wait til Monday

This past Saturday's game with Elon was huge. Sold out since July. Family Day, Alumni Day.
Elon coming in 3-0 (5-1) AND URI 1-1 (3-2)

Elon favored by 3 points Ranked 14/18 in FCS Polls
URI ranked 25/22 in FCS Polls

URI wins 17-10 with one of the biggest home field wins this Century

URI gets an Associated Press Report in Monday's PROJO. Not even a PROJO reporter article. Just sad. And I am a lifelong PROJO supporter and customer.
A5BB539B-973F-4B9C-9859-26BF67B2013B.png
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: PROJO URI Football Coverage - or lack thereof

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Like you I've generally been a supporter of the ProJo coverage we receive and think a lot of the criticism they get is unwarranted, but I agree there should have been a real story about this. Also, how have they never found out Jim Fleming's contract situation and informed fans about it?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today's Projo is just a shell of what it once was. It is sad as it was a great newspaper at one time. Now it has a small overworked staff that cannot possibly adequately cover local content properly. While the paper's content and quality have been decreasing, the cost it charges its readers has risen dramatically. This has led to a huge drop in circulation (myself even having dropped it after decades) which has only further hastened its decline. Things are so bad that its parent is once again mandating unpaid furloughs for its staff. The paper's future is not bright. I think the Boston Globe senses this and explains why it hired RI based staff members to increase its coverage of the state. The Globe likely anticipates a future where RI no longer has its own dominant state newspaper.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Today's Projo is just a shell of what it once was. It is sad as it was a great newspaper at one time. Now it has a small overworked staff that cannot possibly adequately cover local content properly. While the paper's content and quality have been decreasing, the cost it charges its readers has risen dramatically. This has led to a huge drop in circulation (myself even having dropped it after decades) which has only further hastened its decline. Things are so bad that its parent is once again mandating unpaid furloughs for its staff. The paper's future is not bright. I think the Boston Globe senses this and explains why it hired RI based staff members to increase its coverage of the state. The Globe likely anticipates a future where RI no longer has its own dominant state newspaper.
At this point, unfortunately yes - I think the Gatehouse-Gannett entity probably needs to go through bankruptcy, because of the massive debt service they have, and their current executives not having a clue or options to turn it around. I'm always going to stump for the boots-on-the-ground reporters, who are all pretty much working as hard as they can to make less-with-more. But I'm not sure what the end game here is, short of some of these papers just "relaunching" or being sold off to public entities. (There's been some success in the midwest and south, with partnerships between papers and local public broadcasting or NPR stations, using each other's resources.)
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The oracles who run the newspaper business seem to think they can just cut their way to profitability.

What they don't seem to get is that news is a content business, and it takes people to generate that content. Better content makes the product more valuable to readers and subscribers. Cheaper content decreases that value, which causes readers to flee.

Here in Florida, Gannett has done the same thing to the Palm Beach Post, which when we first moved down here in 2019 was a really good newspaper but now is, well ... most days there are maybe two or three local stories in the whole thing. And their copy deadlines are so early that if something happens after 2 p.m. on a Tuesday you won't read about it until Thursday at best.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ProJo’s deadlines are ridiculous.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Not one word in today's paper about win over Monmouth. They even chose not to run the short AP article available to them around 5 pm.
Please complain to Bill Corey bcorey@providencejournal.com. whether you read the Projo or not we shouldn't stand for this kind of disrespect. If we don't complain nothing will change.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Not one word in today's paper about win over Monmouth. They even chose not to run the short AP article available to them around 5 pm.
Please complain to Bill Corey bcorey@providencejournal.com. whether you read the Projo or not we shouldn't stand for this kind of disrespect. If we don't complain nothing will change.
I didn't realize the projo was still around. That rag has been dead for a long while.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I agree that URI has been disrespected by the local media for as long as I have been following in the 80's. As far as projo goes, they have resorted to offering 2 year digital deals for something like $1.99 so I doubt they have the budget.
1 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday’s 1pm start, record breaking 7 Overtime win at Monmouth gets a place in Monday morning PROJO. By Journal Staff and Wire Reports.

BC0ADD1D-4232-475E-AC60-0EC7977043CA.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Not one word in today's paper about win over Monmouth. They even chose not to run the short AP article available to them around 5 pm.
As expected the URI game is included in Monday’s paper. This has been the pattern all season.

Thanks for the contact Iggy. As a lifelong subscriber to the ProJo and lifelong supporter of the ProJo I’ll provide my feedback and ideas as you suggest.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Today's Projo is just a shell of what it once was. It is sad as it was a great newspaper at one time. Now it has a small overworked staff that cannot possibly adequately cover local content properly. While the paper's content and quality have been decreasing, the cost it charges its readers has risen dramatically. This has led to a huge drop in circulation (myself even having dropped it after decades) which has only further hastened its decline. Things are so bad that its parent is once again mandating unpaid furloughs for its staff. The paper's future is not bright. I think the Boston Globe senses this and explains why it hired RI based staff members to increase its coverage of the state. The Globe likely anticipates a future where RI no longer has its own dominant state newspaper.
At this point, unfortunately yes - I think the Gatehouse-Gannett entity probably needs to go through bankruptcy, because of the massive debt service they have, and their current executives not having a clue or options to turn it around. I'm always going to stump for the boots-on-the-ground reporters, who are all pretty much working as hard as they can to make less-with-more. But I'm not sure what the end game here is, short of some of these papers just "relaunching" or being sold off to public entities. (There's been some success in the midwest and south, with partnerships between papers and local public broadcasting or NPR stations, using each other's resources.)
Id say it’s more about how to prioritize limited resources.

To not cover the Flagship State University of Rhode Island until Monday morning for a Saturday game is a shame. And it’s often covered by reporters not with the ProJo.
  • URI Football has been improving past several years
  • Nationally Ranked
  • In the hunt for a FCS Playoff bid - legitimate contender
  • Huge at home win vs Nationally Ranked Elon at Alumni/Family Weekend - game sold out since July!
High School sports from Saturday populated the Sunday ProJo. URI Football did not until Monday.

Possible solutions?
- use a URI Journalism Major or Herrington School Of Broadcasting Intern to put together summary of Saturday game for Sunday ProJo. ESPN+ uses students for broadcasts - why not ProJo?
- pay Stone Freeman a sum to write a short article. Doesn’t need to be long or fancy / just something for Sunday.
- ask URI sports information to produce article. They do it anyway shortly after the game. Should be easy and great publicity for the school.
- move efforts to fewer tweets about games to provide more time for post game, timely write ups. Seems in-game commentary on Twitter could be taking away from traditional, timely newspaper coverage.

Where there is a will there is a way. I’m sure URI would provide a game write up if asked. Think out of the box.

If Saturday (1PM start) game write up is not til Monday morning then it’s almost not worth putting in at all.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Projo has a union, so they've always not especially been into the idea of using interns, unless they're paid for by grant or by the paper. ESPN isn't a company anyone should be looking to for journalism best practices or ethics. Stone Freeman is employed by the university, and the Projo hasn't ever just run straight Sports Information as copy, unlike, say, The Cigar. I kind of doubt the issue is that they can't find someone to cover the game anyway - There are plenty of decent freelancers out there that'll do a game for $75 to $150.

They could and probably should run copy on their website ASAP, if they're staffing the game, or push the AP story on their website sooner. But the Saturday deadline for Sunday print is probably mid-day Saturday, or potentially even Friday night for sports, so I think Gatehouse the Company has tied the hands of what the Projo sports department can do when it comes to print publication. WPRI ran the AP story at 6:56 p.m. on Saturday, and I'd be shocked if the Projo sports section wasn't already to bed by that point.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wrote Bill from Iggy's email drop. He said out of his control and it was all due to early deadlines for Sunday print.
So you're telling me if PC won the BE championship game on a Saturday (when the game is played) that they wouldn't have any coverage in the Sunday paper? I find that hard to believe.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I wrote Bill from Iggy's email drop. He said out of his control and it was all due to early deadlines for Sunday print.
So you're telling me if PC won the BE championship game on a Saturday (when the game is played) that they wouldn't have any coverage in the Sunday paper? I find that hard to believe.
They would almost certainly "hold" a portion of the front for that if they can, sure, similar to how election night works. However, a regular season URI football game with Monmouth definitely isn't comparable to winning the Big East tournament. Would they "hold" a page if URI was in the A-10 Final and it fell on a Saturday afternoon? That's probably the better comparison. I would think "yes," but it's hard to prove, since the A-10 final is held on Sundays anyway.

ETA: Although, I might be making an assumption that they have permission to "hold" pages at all, anymore. The litmus test for that would be the November election. If they're running results a day late - or if they did that in 2020 - well, that would suggest they're not going to hold the paper for any reason.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

RI Monmouth game was over at 4:45 PM. When is the deadline for the Sunday paper, Friday?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I wrote Bill from Iggy's email drop. He said out of his control and it was all due to early deadlines for Sunday print.
They would almost certainly "hold" a portion of the front for that if they can, sure, similar to how election night works. However, a regular season URI football game with Monmouth definitely isn't comparable to winning the Big East tournament. Would they "hold" a page if URI was in the A-10 Final and it fell on a Saturday afternoon? That's probably the better comparison. I would think "yes," but it's hard to prove, since the A-10 final is held on Sundays anyway.

ETA: Although, I might be making an assumption that they have permission to "hold" pages at all, anymore. The litmus test for that would be the November election. If they're running results a day late - or if they did that in 2020 - well, that would suggest they're not going to hold the paper for any reason.
URI Football Games played on Saturday used to be in the Sunday Providence Journal. This is a recent development.
If URI plays Basketball on any night at 7pm the result is in the ProJo the next day. We don’t read about it 2 days later.

I don’t need to be at the game to write an article about it. I could have my article 3/4th written by the start of Q4 then complete it, hit send and be ready for print in the Sunday paper.

Communication in todays world are getting faster and faster.

Just ready a lot of excuses, reasons for a 2 day delay in reporting on a URI Football game that could be considered the biggest for the state of Rhode Island in 20+ years.

It’s just sad.

Need to fire some people. No wonder some newspapers are floundering.

I have never gotten a customer service survey in decades of subscribing to the ProJo.

I also subscribe to the Boston Globe and I get customer service surveys from them plus an occasional phone call. All newspapers are not the same. Some are better than others and want to please the customers. The strong and the innovative will survive.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1pm Saturday URI Football Game summary should be in the next mornings newspaper. Period. No excuses.
Just like Basketball games are covered. We don’t read about PC, URI, Brown or Bryant Basketball games played on Saturday in Mondays paper. They make the Sunday paper.

URI Football should not be the exception.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Welcome to journalism in the digital age and having huge National corporations own local papers The future looks bleak for print media. Sorry Iggy.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In Tuesday’s (todays) ProJo

5E215E02-EB5E-4B1F-A130-BF13FD50552E.png
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Football 10/26/2022 4:47:00 AM

Four Down Territory: A Game for the Ages

Story Links
KINGSTON, R.I. - Last Saturday, Rhode Island traveled to West Long Branch, N.J. to face off against the Monmouth Hawks in what would be the longest matchup between two FCS schools in college football history. After a high-scoring four quarters of regulation play and seven grueling overtime periods, the Rams emerged victorious, defeating the Hawks,, 48-46, while also moving to 5-2 on the season.

FIRST DOWN - DeShields Puts The Conference On Notice
Senior running back Marques DeShields had the game of his life Saturday afternoon, serving as the driving force behind Rhode Island's offense all game long. This was his third straight game with more than 100 rushing yards, finishing with 161 yards and two touchdowns. When he wasn't marauding downfield with the ball cradled in his grasp, he was getting on the end of pinpoint passes from quarterback Kasim Hill. DeShields finished the day with 95 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns, both career highs, including a 73-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter, sending the game to overtime. Finishing with 256 total yards of offense, DeShields' performance earned him this week's CAA Football Offensive Player of the Week, as well as URI's Male Student-Athlete of the Week. After seven games so far this year, the senior has 779 total yards of offense and 10 touchdowns.

SECOND DOWN - Kasim Hill Puts On A Show
Quarterback Kasim Hill had a solid game against Monmouth, finishing the day 14-24, with 352 passing yards and three touchdown passes, while rushing for a fourth. The senior completed three passes of more than 50 yards, including a 74-yard pass to wideout Ed Lee, and a 73-yard touchdown pass to Marques DeShields. Hill's performance against Monmouth set his season highs in passing touchdowns and passing yards and was his first 300-passing-yard game of the year. Through seven games, Hill now has 1,889 yards of total offense, passing for 12 touchdowns and rushing for three more.

THIRD DOWN - Ed Lee Calls Game
Senior wide receiver Ed Lee had a very prolific performance vs the Hawks, registering a touchdown and a two-point conversion pass that provided the margin of victory in the seventh overtime. Lee was targeted five times, making four receptions for 120 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown pass to tie the game in the second quarter. After six overtime periods, Monmouth failed on its two-point attempt, giving Rhode Island the opportunity to seal it with a successful conversion. Up stepped Lee, as Kasim Hill found the receiver open in the end zone for the score. After seven games, Lee has 484 receiving yards, 120 yards from punt returns, and three touchdowns.

FOURTH DOWN - College Football History
Rhode Island's victory over Monmouth not only was the longest game in CAA Football history, but it was the longest matchup ever played between two FCS programs. In their third matchup ever, the teams combined for 11 touchdowns, two field goals, and five two-point conversions.

With this win, the Rhode Island Rams moved to 5-2 overll and 3-1 in CAA Football on the season, having won three straight games. The next test comes in the form of an away trip to William & Mary on Saturday, Oct. 29, as the Rams strive ever so closer to the FCS College Football Playoffs. Kickoff is at 1:00 p.m. and will be streaming live at flofootball.com.

Mark Radigan is a sophomore in URI's Harrington School of Communication and Media. Each Tuesday throughout the season, he will provide his Four Down Territory look at the Rhode Island football team.

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/10/26/foo ... -ages.aspx
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

1. Bill is not the problem.
2. I'd like to think the emails had something to do with the Tuesday story. That's why it's important to show that there are football fans out there who want coverage.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So far we've gotten a preview story July 26th and a story about being ranked August 7th. That's all. This program has turned a corner and has momentum for the future, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the ProJo coverage. The football team has been in camp for over two weeks, yet nothing about who is looking good or any injuries we've sustained. Bill Koch was at the scrimmage 8/11, yet no story about anything that happened at it.

There's no high school sports, the ProJo has seemingly given up a Red Sox beat, you only need one reporter for the Little League stories and one for the Patriots training camp, so what are they covering? During the dog days of summer you should be dying for content and URI football should be a great content generator with training camp this month, but nothing
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I know that Bill was at a recent intra-squad scrimmage. Unfortuately he didn't tweet much about it or put anything into an article, however I can understand why. Even though he has been busy with the Red Sox and the LLWS, it is nice to see him get down to Kingston. Hopefully the team gets some quality coverage not only from the Projo but from national media as well.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The ProJo is a skeleton of its former self. I no longer expect comprehensive coverage of anything. Koch and Rueb are good but they can only do so much.
Last edited by Rhody74 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Who cares? Win games and it won't matter if the pro-ho' is there or not
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The best was the editor telling me that it was too late for Sunday paper coverage when the Saturday game ended at 3pm. Yet if PC plays on Saturday night somehow it will still make it into the Sunday paper.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Projo is just an extension of USA Today and a Progressive Rag.
Every now and then Projo does some investigative journalism on the corruption in the State of RI, but not very often now.
Even when the Letters to the Editors started to swing anti-Biden, Projo just eliminated them except for Saturday and Sunday when they could hope to get a few Progressive Letters in.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote: 8 months ago Projo is just an extension of USA Today and a Progressive Rag.
Every now and then Projo does some investigative journalism on the corruption in the State of RI, but not very often now.
Even when the Letters to the Editors started to swing anti-Biden, Projo just eliminated them except for Saturday and Sunday when they could hope to get a few Progressive Letters in.
Nice whining. Now explain in depth how any of this has anything to do with football coverage
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago The best was the editor telling me that it was too late for Sunday paper coverage when the Saturday game ended at 3pm. Yet if PC plays on Saturday night somehow it will still make it into the Sunday paper.
Just a symptom of the minimal resources the ProJo now has. The paper printed NOTHING about the Harborside fire on Block Island until Tuesday, four days afterwards. Yes, they had some online reporting, regurgitating fire dept statements. In the Metcalf days, they would have had a team of reporters covering it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 8 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago The best was the editor telling me that it was too late for Sunday paper coverage when the Saturday game ended at 3pm. Yet if PC plays on Saturday night somehow it will still make it into the Sunday paper.
Just a symptom of the minimal resources the ProJo now has. The paper printed NOTHING about the Harborside fire on Block Island until Tuesday, four days afterwards. Yes, they had some online reporting, regurgitating fire dept statements. In the Metcalf days, they would have had a team of reporters covering it.
What's a "team of reporters?"
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 8 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 8 months ago
What's a "team of reporters?"
Here are pictures of the Harborside
A shame that this historic building will be taken down.
6CB6AFB3-A4F1-4B66-9F51-ADA57B407B51.jpeg
7D98BCDF-E49E-4057-8483-A7C1B93E21DB.jpeg
B94A6639-E6A4-4304-9635-2A85FE70E82E.jpeg
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Good luck to your season except against Delaware.

Don't have an answer for your coverage, ours is ok in Western Mass and will be on ESPN back to back Saturdays.
Tonight@7PM primetime on ESPN. Not sure you guys could every cheer for us, but good luck again and coverage will come.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Same Steve. Got UMASS today and season wins over.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I remember maybe not even 10 years ago when Projo used to have a prediction of Saturday football games. They not only covered RI but Ivy League and Patriot. NYT would recap not just FBS games but FCS. NYT would cover Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, and once and a while RI.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

i can't remember the last time I had ANY actual printed newspaper in my hand and opened it up to read it.

nevermind go to a news stand and buy one or have it delivered.

who does that?
1 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote: 6 months ago I remember maybe not even 10 years ago when Projo used to have a prediction of Saturday football games. They not only covered RI but Ivy League and Patriot. NYT would recap not just FBS games but FCS. NYT would cover Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, and once and a while RI.
Was that Mike Szostak who had the picks every Saturday morning?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

OBRAM wrote: 6 months ago I remember maybe not even 10 years ago when Projo used to have a prediction of Saturday football games. They not only covered RI but Ivy League and Patriot. NYT would recap not just FBS games but FCS. NYT would cover Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham, and once and a while RI.
You need sportswriters to do that. The ProJo only has two full time sportswriters as far as I can tell.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!