2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 7 months ago I think we avoid Flo Sports this year thankfully
Maybe not because College of Charleston and Delaware are both in the Coastal Athletic Association CAA
CAA is all FloSports. All CAA Football Games are handled by FloSports
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago
Maybe not because College of Charleston and Delaware are both in the Coastal Athletic Association CAA
Phenomenal. They should only have Progressive commercials on it.

Also, there should be a bus tripper for the Delaware game, regardless of record.
If not good, grousing and drinking, if good, celebrating and drinking..
Such a 3 hr bus ride, with a chance to go 12-0, could make for a remarkably fun event.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

When does fall practice start?
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 7 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 7 months ago

Ratings concerns....
Broadcast info is not listed yet for most of the nonconference games …

ESPN+ is shown in GoRhody Schedule for the following 8 OOC Games:

Central Connecticut State
Fairfield
Wagner
Johnson & Wales
Yale
Brown
New Hampshire
Northeastern

5 OOC Games not shown yet:
Northwestern
Washington State/Mississippi State
PC
College of Charleston
Delaware
I'm guessing 3 of those 5 OOC games will be on national tv. The 2 Hall of fame tip-off games, and ofc PC.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Typically the home team and or its conference controls tv coverage. That would likely mean the Charleston game down there will be FloSports.

The game versus Delaware is a neutral site game that is part of the Gazelle Group's Holiday Hoopfest triple-header at UBS Arena in Elmont near Belmont Park. The other games pit St Joe's versus Iona and Towson versus Bryant. Given there are no big names involved, the viewing options will likely be limited. St Bonaventure played Notre Dame there last year for the Gazelle Group's Gotham Classic championship (earlier games on campus) and the only coverage was ESPN+.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 7 months ago YurView out of the picture?
No, HR, I still have my view.

Wait…what? :D

Excuse the cheap humor. Carry on.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Anyone get tickets yet to the HOF Tipoff? Wondering where URI fans will be sitting.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SCHEDULE DISCUSSION BITS

It looks like four home games will be played during break - UNH, Northeastern, St Joe's, and UMass. The Northeastern and UMass games are on Saturdays which sometimes attract more of the locals during break. Will be interesting to see how the attendance and atmosphere will be for UMass when students are away. That game typically has one of the larger crowds with many students and best atmospheres for the A-10 slate each year.

The A-10 home schedule, as has been discussed here already, is not all that attractive this year from an opponent perspective. It is also not all that attractive for weekend games which typically draw bigger crowds. Other than UMass during break, the only weekend conference games are Duquesne, Loyola-Chi, and St Louis. With the state of the program along with the schedule, it is going to be tough getting people to conference games at the Ryan Center this winter.

URI 2023-24 ACADEMIC CALENDAR
Fall Semester | Exams end 12/20 (WED)
Spring Semester | Advising Day 01/19 (FRI) - Classes Start 01/22 (MON)

URI MEN'S BASKETBALL 2023-24 SCHEDULE
Wednesday 11/1 Assumption (exhibition)
Monday 11/6 Central Connecticut
Thursday 11/9 Fairfield
Tuesday 11/14 Wagner
Saturday 11/18 Hall of Fame Tip-Off, Mohegan Sun vs Northwestern
Sunday 11/19 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Mohegan Sun vs Mississippi State or Washington State
Wednesday 11/22 Johnson & Wales
Sunday 11/26 Yale
Saturday 12/2 at Providence
Wednesday 12/6 Brown
Sunday 12/10 at Charleston
Saturday 12/16 Holiday Hoopfest, UBS Arena vs Delaware
Thursday 12/21 New Hampshire
Saturday 12/30 Northeastern
Wednesday 01/03 St Joe's
Tuesday 01/09 at Davidson
Saturday 01/13 UMass
Wednesday 01/17 at St Bonaventure
Saturday 01/20 at Dayton
Wednesday 01/24 Fordham
Saturday 01/27 at GMU
Wednesday 01/31 LaSalle
Saturday 02/03 Duquesne
Tuesday 02/06 at GW
Sunday 02/11 at UMass
Sunday 02/18 Loyola-Chi
Wednesay 02/21 Richmond
Sunday 02/25 at LaSalle
Wednesday 02/28 at VCU
Saturday 03/02 St Louis
Wednesday 03/06 GMU
Saturday 03/09 at Fordham
Last edited by RF1 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Just winnnnnn and they will come
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 7 months ago Anyone get tickets yet to the HOF Tipoff? Wondering where URI fans will be sitting.
I was thinking of getting courtside tickets since it’s probably going to be the best “home” games all year. But if you know of a section let me know and I’ll sit with you guys. I’d love to sit with you and other Rhody fans.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Our 3 games with CAA Opponents. Preseason Blue Ribbon Rankings:
B0272598-B4E3-46AE-8F99-F270A8A5FDFD.jpeg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I might be in the (admittedly selfish) minority here, but I for one would love to have a road game each season in the Boston area. Rotate between games at Harvard, BU, Northeastern, BC if we can get more home and homes with them. There are several of alums in the Boston area, including those of us on this board that would go to these games. If they are going to schedule them anyway, might as well through a bone to some Boston alums.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 7 months ago I might be in the (admittedly selfish) minority here, but I for one would love to have a road game each season in the Boston area. Rotate between games at Harvard, BU, Northeastern, BC if we can get more home and homes with them. There are several of alums in the Boston area, including those of us on this board that would go to these games. If they are going to schedule them anyway, might as well through a bone to some Boston alums.
For alumni and student recruitment reasons along with short travel for the team, it would make sense for URI to play in the Boston area. This also applies to games in CT as well.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 7 months ago Anyone get tickets yet to the HOF Tipoff? Wondering where URI fans will be sitting.
I was thinking of getting courtside tickets since it’s probably going to be the best “home” games all year. But if you know of a section let me know and I’ll sit with you guys. I’d love to sit with you and other Rhody fans.
Tickets have apparently on sale for awhile. Got some in section 24. Looked like there were not as many available as I thought. Call to URI ticket office, they have no tickets for Rhody fans direct from URI. Only Ticketmaster, I guess. May I add pricey, except for nose bleeds.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 7 months ago
Stevie,

I tried to send a PM, but I don't think it went through,

We are in Section 16, row A, seats 1 and 2.

The URI tickets won't be available for a month and the AD doesn't know yet where they will be.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm trying to work it out to either do a family weekend away including the games or if I just meet some friends for Sunday's match. I have a friend that lives in Connecticut so we'll occasionally meet for a game of some kind in CT. We did URI at Quinnipeac (dreadful loss), Marquette at UConn (my friend went to Marquette), Hartford Wolfpack, etc. I'll post my seats when I know more.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

To all those coming to Charleston

Love this effin area !

FU
CT !

Best move ever !!!!

No more BS to have to deal with !

FREEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDOOOMMMMMMMMM
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

"CharlestonRhody"
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Low Country She Crab Soup……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Today President Parlange gave his State of the University address. Early in the talk, he discussed URI's significant increase in research dollars and mentioned the school's several collaborative research efforts, one on undersea research, with UConn. Then seconds later he added a remarkable aside where he commented that while we are friendly with UConn, he then lamented that they somehow refuse to play us in basketball! He ended with the hope that they would change that one day.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 6 months ago Today President Parlange gave his State of the University address. Early in the talk, he discussed URI's significant increase in research dollars and mentioned the school's several collaborative research efforts, one on undersea research, with UConn. Then seconds later he added a remarkable aside where he commented that while we are friendly with UConn, he then lamented that they somehow refuse to play us in basketball! He ended with the hope that they would change that one day.
Thanks for posting this, Ob. The increase in research dollars is great news and it is always great to hear about the excellent work we are doing through our Oceanography program.

Also, it would be fun to play UConn again. Perhaps when Dan moves on from UConn and the new coach has no ties to Rhody, it will happen? Maybe there will be a double header at Mohegan someday with Rhody vs UConn and PC vs UMass. That would be fun Southern New England fans and us old Yankee Conf fans.

ETA: Or, if not PC maybe get Vermont.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

The recent annual B!0 pre-season media poll has Northwestern ranked #8.
Boo Buie is picked 1st Team All-B10.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... s-to-watch

Head coach: Chris Collins
Last year's record: 22-12
Postseason: Reached second round of NCAA Tournament, lost to UCLA

Biggest storyline: Can the Wildcats reach the Big Dance in back-to-back seasons? That would be quite a feat for Chris Collins, considering Northwestern has only reached the NCAA Tournament a total of two times in the program's history (2017, 2023). The Wildcats head coach saved his job last year with Boo Buie and Chase Audige leading the way. Audige, the Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Year last season, is gone. That said, the Cats have Buie (17.3 PPG, 4.5 APG) back, along with Ty Berry and matchup-nightmare Brooks Barnhizer. Look for guard Ryan Langborg and forward Blake Preston, a pair of transfers, to come in and add firepower. This team can absolutely find its way back into the tournament because of experience, toughness and the leadership of Buie. If anything, multiple Big Ten coaches have told me they're underrated yet again.

Game of interest before the HOF Tip-Off Mohegan Sun is Nov.10 Dayton at Northwestern (BTN).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Our Holiday Hoopfest game against Delaware has a 4:30 start time. Towson vs. Bryant will be at 2, Saint Joseph's vs Iona is at 7. Tickets are on sale officially tomorrow, but you can use UBSARENA to get in on the presale that's going on now. They are only selling seats in the lower level. Seats in the corners and endzone are $30.25 on the sidelines are $60.35. Those prices are after taxes and fees
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looking at our home OOC schedule, there really isn't a game I want to see. Just a bunch of chump teams coming in. We have a Holiday Hoopfest with DELAWARE??? Think they get above 200 NET this year? Man, this season sucks and it hasn't even begun. No chance for an at large bid as I see it.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

At large bid as some level of the bar? Really? I know it is NCAA or Bust here, but let’s crawl, then creep, the maybe walk to that bar in next few years. No micro wave turn around here, just the state of Rhody hoops as I see it.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago At large bid as some level of the bar? Really? I know it is NCAA or Bust here, but let’s crawl, then creep, the maybe walk to that bar in next few years. No micro wave turn around here, just the state of Rhody hoops as I see it.
Good luck with that thought process. Crawl, creep and walk? My man, surely you jest. URI did not hire Archie Miller for $2.5M a year to crawl, creep and walk. Cmon.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

the season has not even started and we are talking about next year or the following next year. We need to start winning NOW!!!!!
Not next year or the year after. Please stop with that.
Who thinks that way,
WIN TODAY NOT TOMORROW!!!!!!
If we don't win there are no fans...if we don't win there are no recruits... if we don't win there are no donations to NIL... if we don't win the players don't stay
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rjv wrote: 6 months ago the season has not even started and we are talking about next year or the following next year. We need to start winning NOW!!!!!
Not next year or the year after. Please stop with that.
Who thinks that way,
WIN TODAY NOT TOMORROW!!!!!!
If we don't win there are no fans...if we don't win there are no recruits... if we don't win there are no donations to NIL... if we don't win the players don't stay

BINGO
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago Looking at our home OOC schedule, there really isn't a game I want to see. Just a bunch of chump teams coming in. We have a Holiday Hoopfest with DELAWARE??? Think they get above 200 NET this year? Man, this season sucks and it hasn't even begun. No chance for an at large bid as I see it.
Cheer up Blueram, not all that bad.

I think Archie put together an appropriate schedule considering where we are at.
Yeah J&W is one I would really question though, maybe it came down to either them or nobody, leaving it open and only 12 OOC games.
Yale will be decent and of course Charleston and especially PC will be tough road games.
The HOF Tip-Off has a good field, and we will probably be the underdog in both games.
There is also a chance that Delaware might even be favored over us.

Archie's salary is probably the new going rate for a HC with his resumé, we aren't overpaying him or the rest of the staff.

I am probably alone here (as usual) but if we finish in the top half of the A10 this season, I will consider that a major step forward and would be pleased.
Of course, my expectations going forward will be much higher and would expect us to be regular conference contenders. 
5 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At this point, I want to see them WIN.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
theblueram wrote: 6 months ago Looking at our home OOC schedule, there really isn't a game I want to see. Just a bunch of chump teams coming in. We have a Holiday Hoopfest with DELAWARE??? Think they get above 200 NET this year? Man, this season sucks and it hasn't even begun. No chance for an at large bid as I see it.
Cheer up Blueram, not all that bad.

I think Archie put together an appropriate schedule considering where we are at.
Yeah J&W is one I would really question though, maybe it came down to either them or nobody, leaving it open and only 12 OOC games.
Yale will be decent and of course Charleston and especially PC will be tough road games.
The HOF Tip-Off has a good field, and we will probably be the underdog in both games.
There is also a chance that Delaware might even be favored over us.

Archie's salary is probably the new going rate for a HC with his resumé, we aren't overpaying him or the rest of the staff.

I am probably alone here (as usual) but if we finish in the top half of the A10 this season, I will consider that a major step forward and would be pleased.
Of course, my expectations going forward will be much higher and would expect us to be regular conference contenders. 
I'm with ya Jersey as always.

Spot on per usual.
1 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
section(105) wrote: 6 months ago At large bid as some level of the bar? Really? I know it is NCAA or Bust here, but let’s crawl, then creep, the maybe walk to that bar in next few years. No micro wave turn around here, just the state of Rhody hoops as I see it.
Good luck with that thought process. Crawl, creep and walk? My man, surely you jest. URI did not hire Archie Miller for $2.5M a year to crawl, creep and walk. Cmon.
Archie is not paid to be a miracle worker, Jim Herrick type is not walking thru the door. Steps froward for me is what I expect Archie to deliver toward an at large bid or A-10 champ. Just don’t see the the at large coming this year and maybe not next.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

lmao if your attitude is the season sucks because you don't feel like the schedule is up to your liking - maybe don't be a mid-major college basketball fan? I'm sure Kentucky is looking for fans.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah agree with Blue Man also , Arch is on the path be patient , we will be top 4 in this conference consistently starting next year , enjoy the ride
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 6 months ago Yeah agree with Blue Man also , Arch is on the path be patient , we will be top 4 in this conference consistently starting next year , enjoy the ride
Reef, this seems like the most likely scenario to me.

Sure, I want to win right away. It’s not like everyone here has unlimited kicks at the can so, I want to win asap for that reason in particular.

That scenario being likely however does not mean we can’t make a run this year. The A10 isn’t loaded. There aren’t great teams like in years past. There are a few (maybe 3) good borderline NCAAT teams (projected) then a mishmash of teams.

IF we play well and catch some beneficial brakes then I think anything is possible in the A10 as it is currently projected.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Fairfield head coach Jay Young has stepped down. URI has the Stags third game of the season.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Fairfield head coach Jay Young has stepped down. URI has the Stags third game of the season.

Very odd timing given it comes just weeks before the start of the season. I would think there is more to this story.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

AP top pre-season 25 came out.
Miss State with 20 votes and Charleston got 2 votes.
Northwestern and PC no votes.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrheVR ... r7fjKNI0w-
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago AP top pre-season 25 came out.
No A10 Team got a single vote
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
Yeah, not unexpected.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Fairfield head coach Jay Young has stepped down. URI has the Stags third game of the season.

Wheeler should be in line for that HC job no?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 6 months ago

Wheeler should be in line for that HC job no?
He can definitely be a candidate after the season.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Luke Murray will be their next head coach.

He’s an alum. They will prob look hard at Kimani Young too. And a few others. But I’d guess it’s Murray at end of day.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago

Very odd timing given it comes just weeks before the start of the season. I would think there is more to this story.
seems there might be...

https://fairfieldstags.proboards.com/th ... ped?page=3

https://burnerball.com/fairfields-young-steps-down/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

seems there might be...

Connection??
Fairfield Basketball Set for Trip to Costa Rica, August 11-18
Assistant Coach got let go first
Then later the Head Coach
6 page thread on Fairfield Message Board..........
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
But the conference isn't dying. All is well!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

seems there might be...

Their goal is to get in the A10. If Fairfield is ever in the A10 we better be long gone from this sinking ship
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Fwiw Fairfield is 1 of if not the best job in their league.

Ideal place to live (for a coach)

Brand new arena, they have some form of NIL and the school is pretty committed to athletics

Loads of hoops talent in nearby CT prep schools

I’m not saying we would want them in A10 but if we had to take 1 and the choice was them or Lasalle I’d take them.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Fwiw Fairfield is 1 of if not the best job in their league.

Brand new arena, they have some form of NIL and the school is pretty committed to athletics

I’m not saying we would want them in A10 but if we had to take 1 and the choice was them or Lasalle I’d take them.
Siena may be the best job in the MAAC, they have the best fan support (largest arena) and are located in the capital city.

Curious to see how new coach Tobin Anderson does at Iona with a whole new roster except for their 7' center.
He had success last season at FDU with 2 NCAAT wins including beating #1 seed Purdue.
This season they are picked #2 by the coaches just behind Rider.

Fairfield just got picked 6th in the MAAC by the coaches.
Looking forward to see SH transfer (F)Alexis Yetna in action after missing last season with injury.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago Fwiw Fairfield is 1 of if not the best job in their league.

Siena may be the best job in the MAAC, they have the best fan support (largest arena) and are located in the capital city.

Curious to see how new coach Tobin Anderson does at Iona with a whole new roster except for their 7' center.
He had success last season at FDU with 2 NCAAT wins including beating #1 seed Purdue.
This season they are picked #2 by the coaches just behind Rider.

Fairfield just got picked 6th in the MAAC by the coaches.
Looking forward to see SH transfer (F)Alexis Yetna in action after missing last season with injury.
Anderson should continue the winning ways at Iona. He’s a helluva coach.

Agree on Siena though if I’m a coach I’d rather live in Fairfield County than Albany.
1 x