2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

STC wrote: 8 months ago When was the last time an A10 school went from single digit wins to 20+ wins the following season?

Even our lord and savior Dan Hurley went from 8 to 14 to 23.
Well Duquesne last season did go from 6-23 (1-16 A10) to 20-11 (10-8 A10).
It probably saved Keith Dambrot's job, but again that huge jump was totally unexpected.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago
STC wrote: 8 months ago When was the last time an A10 school went from single digit wins to 20+ wins the following season?

Even our lord and savior Dan Hurley went from 8 to 14 to 23.
Well Duquesne last season did go from 6-23 (1-16 A10) to 20-11 (10-8 A10).
It probably saved Keith Dambrot's job, but again that huge jump was totally unexpected.
Well we can aspire to be Duquesne! /s
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

12-10-23

can’t wait !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 8 months ago 12-10-23

can’t wait !
Should be a good game, hope you have company.

Been there last fall, great city.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Now that he’s retired .. I’ll bring krejci.. he lives near me - altho I haven’t run into him yet..
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 8 months ago Think big

(We don’t)
Has zero to do with thinking big and everything to do with being realistic about where we were. Last years roster was amongst the least talented in my 35+ years of following the program. You don’t just go from that to competing at top of any league. A10 may be down nationally but by no means is a cupcake.
Last year’s roster is literally Not here.

Every Cox recruit is gone. Every questionable malcontent or not ready player that was a last chance grab for a late cycle team is gone.

The PG spot has improved tremendously. The SG spot is probably the same if not better offensively and maybe slightly worse defensively. The wing spot has improved tremendously. The 4 is improved just by the fact Rory has another year under his belt, or green gets a waiver and that improves tremendously. The 5 has improved tremendously.

Like - how are people not buying in? This isn’t your 2012 rebuild where you have to wait for the Calvary to get here or wait for your freshman to grow for a couple years.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago

(We don’t)
Has zero to do with thinking big and everything to do with being realistic about where we were. Last years roster was amongst the least talented in my 35+ years of following the program. You don’t just go from that to competing at top of any league. A10 may be down nationally but by no means is a cupcake.

Every Cox recruit is gone. Every questionable malcontent or not ready player that was a last chance grab for a late cycle team is gone.

The PG spot has improved tremendously. The SG spot is probably the same if not better offensively and maybe slightly worse defensively. The wing spot has improved tremendously. The 4 is improved just by the fact Rory has another year under his belt, or green gets a waiver and that improves tremendously. The 5 has improved tremendously.

Like - how are people not buying in? This isn’t your 2012 rebuild where you have to wait for the Calvary to get here or wait for your freshman to grow for a couple years.
I don't know who, but I see the 4 improved as well. Starting the season, of the three bigs, Foumena, Fuchs, and Brown, I think one of them (with Rory) will be able to cover the 4 very well.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Someone who could handle the freaking ball (without TO’s) was a huge problem last season, especially with a press. The PG position being upgraded alone will likely reduce turnovers and increase scoring by providing productive offensive sets. Front and back courts should be improved.
3 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Both the men and women have home games on 12/21. The women will be playing Le Moyne
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Both the men and women have home games on 12/21. The women will be playing Le Moyne
Doubleheader?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not sure, neither have announced times yet. Last year they had one day where both teams had home games, but the women's team used their home game as the morning game to get elementary students in
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

They are obviously going to have to hype the games, since historically games played in the period from 12/19 to 12/23 just before Christmas don't draw many fans (ex PC or Pitt games). The games played between Christmas and New Years draw much better. This season's schedule will provide a test of that theory with the UNH game on the 21st and the Northeastern game on the 30th.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

For good turnout for UNH, they will need to be 9-1 with a loss to pc. Chances of that?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago For good turnout for UNH, they will need to be 9-1 with a loss to pc. Chances of that?
Zero, doubt we get out of Mohegan 2-0
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Y'mean...the Wildcats won't be a good draw on their own?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 8 months ago

(We don’t)

Still not ready to drink the Kool-Aid this season Blue Man.

Our frontcourt should/must be improved over last season because ours was the worst in the conference in 22-23.
Still our lack of Div.1 experience there is a concern.

Not sure any of our guards will be better than Ish or match his output on both ends of the floor.
No one anticipated Brays mental issues when he arrived on campus. He still was a threat on the offense averaging over 14 pts.
Carey was a mess with ball security, but did average 10 pts/ 5 rebs.
Yeah, I expect our assist/turnover ratio to be much better.
Both House and Kortright need to improve upon their free throw shooting.
They are both athletic and can attack the basket, Kortright does have good court vision.

Weston has the talent but needs to consistently prove it on the court.
Zek was a good pick-up and could emerge as one of our best players.
Martin was nagged by ankle issues last season but was a team leader.
What he lacked in offensive skills and athleticism, he made up on defense and led the team in rebounding.

Again, I expect improvement but tempering my expectations.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago
theblueram wrote: 8 months ago For good turnout for UNH, they will need to be 9-1 with a loss to pc. Chances of that?
Just a rhetorical question, doubtful anyone thinks we will go 9-1.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would stop with any talk of big crowds at home games this season. It is going to be a mighty struggle to get fans to the Ryan Center for the 2023-24 season. Last year's official reported numbers (5,158 average) were very much tied to the season ticket base and decent student turnout in some early games. Hosting the PC game (sell out) was also a big help to the average. Last year's numbers however did not necessarily always accurately reflect the number of people that physically showed up at the games. Advance season ticket sales last year were very much aided with the promise and hope connected to the hiring of new coach Archie Miller. That selling angle is gone. The stench of last season's on court performance hangs over the program and will surely hurt ticket sales. The fact that fans have few connections to any players as most are new will hurt. The lack of quality opponents that fans might want to see will negatively impact interest. The strong probability that the team will not be especially good and challenging for a post season bid will be the biggest obstacle. I fully expect that attendance will drop this upcoming season. The reported average for last year was just a bit over the 20 year average for the Ryan Center. My guess is that attendance is likely to fall to an average somewhere below the 5k mark this upcoming season. I don't think it will be bad enough to come close to challenging the all time RC low average of 3,829 during Baron's 2011-12 final season. It will however most likely end up being toward the lower range for the arena average.

While I know that some here prefer not to deal in reality, this is the MOST LIKELY scenario facing the program with regards to attendance.
Last edited by RF1 8 months ago, edited 8 times in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Multiple people picked us to win 20+ games last season.

There’s already people here typing the word “bubble” for this upcoming season.

I would assume there’s at least a couple on here who realistically think we could go 9-1.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Teams from 1-bid leagues don’t get listed in bubble watch unless they’re ranked.
We will either need to be ranked or win the auto bid.
I can’t see any bubbles this year.
Just my two cents. May not even be worth that.
But this schedule is putrid.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would assume there’s at least a couple on here who realistically think we could go 9-1.
Anyone that considers us a bubble team or contenders this season will be in for a huge let down. They will be the first calling for Archie’s head. Then again I hope I will be wrong.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Anyone that considers us a bubble team or contenders this season will be in for a huge let down. They will be the first calling for Archie’s head. Then again I hope I will be wrong.
Anyone who would not expect a bubble team in year two of Archie, needs to evaluate what they want in a coach.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago

Anyone who would not expect a bubble team in year two of Archie, needs to evaluate what they want in a coach.
IMO Blueram considering where we were, I think you are too tough on him and expecting too much too soon. It took Dan 3 years to turn things around and 5 to get a bid.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

lol you just continue to sound like the most delusional URI basketball fan on this board.

Zero idea on the college basketball landscape in the year 2023.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago I would stop with any talk of big crowds at home games this season. It is going to be a mighty struggle to get fans to the Ryan Center for the 2023-24 season. Last year's official reported numbers (5,158 average) were very much tied to the season ticket base and decent student turnout in some early games. Hosting the PC game (sell out) was also a big help to the average. Last year's numbers however did not necessarily always accurately reflect the number of people that physically showed up at the games. Advance season ticket sales last year were very much aided with the promise and hope connected to the hiring of new coach Archie Miller. That selling angle is gone. The stench of last season's on court performance hangs over the program and will surely hurt ticket sales. The fact that fans have few connections to any players as most are new will hurt. The lack of quality opponents that fans might want to see will negatively impact interest. The strong probability that the team will not be especially good and challenging for a post season bid will be the biggest obstacle. I fully expect that attendance will drop this upcoming season. The reported average for last year was just a bit over the 20 year average for the Ryan Center. My guess is that attendance is likely to fall to an average somewhere below the 5k mark this upcoming season. I don't think it will be bad enough to come close to challenging the all time RC low average of 3,829 during Baron's 2011-12 final season. It will however most likely end up being toward the lower range for the arena average.

While I know that some here prefer not to deal in reality, this is the MOST LIKELY scenario facing the program with regards to attendance.
A lot of words to say:

Just winnnnnn and it will all be okay
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

lol you just continue to sound like the most delusional URI basketball fan on this board.

Delusional? We are paying him $2M+ a year. We should have kept Cox for $350K and we would be in the same place?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

IMO Blueram considering where we were, I think you are too tough on him and expecting too much too soon. It took Dan 3 years to turn things around and 5 to get a bid.
Like I said to 15, we are paying $2M+ a year for our coach. I don't expect what Dan did, I expect better.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 8 months ago Delusional? We are paying him $2M+ a year. We should have kept Cox for $350K and we would be in the same place?
Cox was making far more than that. probably about double that.

Base Pay: $300k
Guaranteed Amt from gate: $225k
Appearances: $125k
Motor Vehicle Stipend: $12k
Club Membership: $8k
+ other bonuses

Cox was probably bringing home somewhere near 700k per year.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Delusional? We are paying him $2M+ a year. We should have kept Cox for $350K and we would be in the same place?
The day Archie was hired, not one person with any legitimate college basketball knowledge would have expected URI to be a bubble team in his second year.

You are just continuing to prove you don’t know much about the sport, the A10, and URI.
1 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This is a middling schedule, understandable only because of the Cox disaster and Archie's erratic opening season. But normally in a season with any NCAA aspirations, this schedule has too many opponents with NET in the 300's.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Opponent	           2022-23 Performance	                         Comments
	           Record     Conference Finish	        NET	
Ct. Conn. State    10-22    7-9, 7th place tie, NEC     341	URI won both previous games in series.
Fairfield	   13-18    9-11, 7th, MAAC	        262	Fairfield has lost all 5 games in series.
Wagner	           15-13    8-8, 5th place tie, NEC	303	Wagner posted an upset win at Ryan in 2005.
Northwestern	   22-12    12-8, 2nd place tie, B1G	37	URI 2-0 in series, with a NIT win in 2010
Miss. St.	   21-13    8-10, 9th place tie, SEC	53	URI lost lone previous match-up.
Wash. St	   17-17    11-9, 5th place tie, PAC12	79	URI split two games in 70’s
Yale               21-9     10-4, 1st place tie, Ivy    65      Yale won last game at Ryan in 2011
Providence	   21-12    13-7, 4th place tie, BE	51	Rams haven’t won in Providence since 2002.
Brown	           14-13    7-7, 4th place tie, Ivy	176	Brown has won last two games.
Charleston	   31-4	    16-2, 1st place tie, CAA	52	Charleston won last game in 2018.
Delaware 	   17-16    8-10, 6th place tie, CAA	224	First meeting ever.
New Hampshire	   15-15    9-7, 3rd, America East	267	URI won 20 of last 21 games. Last UNH win in '87.
Northeastern	   10-20    6-12, 9th place tie, CAA	309	URI is 42-1 at home. Only Huskie win was in 1989.
Last edited by Obadiah 8 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

As for predictions in the OOC, I am guessing 9-4 on the high side and 7-6 on the pessimistic end.

Note: Johnson & Wales included in above record, though does not count in NET calculation.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The day Archie was hired, not one person with any legitimate college basketball knowledge would have expected URI to be a bubble team in his second year.

You are just continuing to prove you don’t know much about the sport, the A10, and URI.
Oh really? We hired a coach for $2M+ who took Dayton to multiple NCAAT and coached at Indiana, we didn't expect greatness? I did. Not saying anything about Miller, think he's a great coach. Now's the time he needs to shine. I think he will. I thought he was the best hire since Harrick. He now needs to prove it.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Our OOC home schedule might actually be a tiny bit more intriguing than last season.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Oh really? We hired a coach for $2M+ who took Dayton to multiple NCAAT and coached at Indiana, we didn't expect greatness? I did. Not saying anything about Miller, think he's a great coach. Now's the time he needs to shine. I think he will. I thought he was the best hire since Harrick. He now needs to prove it.
I take back my earlier post.
I guess Blueram expects us to go 9-1. ;)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 8 months ago As for predictions in the OOC, I am guessing 9-4 on the high side and 7-6 on the pessimistic end.

Note: Johnson & Wales included in above record, though does not count in NET calculation.
That’s what I think as well ceiling 9-4 with floor 7-6 so maybe 8-5
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I mostly disagree with the beginning of this. I think most of us expected between Archie's pedigree and the transfer portal that we would look a lot like Dan Hurley's third season this year. You can debate whether that team was truly a bubble team or not, but I remember tracking them on bubble watch a decent amount of the time that year.

That said, I think after the first game most of us realized the hole we were in was bigger than expected and adjusted our expectations going forward accordingly
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 8 months ago Our OOC home schedule might actually be a tiny bit more intriguing than last season.
Quinnipiac, Texas State, Stony Brook, Providence, Army, UMass Lowell

Vs

Central Connecticut, Fairfield, Wagner, Johnson & Wales, Yale, New Hampshire, Northeastern.

Sorry, I'm not seeing it
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago

I mostly disagree with the beginning of this. I think most of us expected between Archie's pedigree and the transfer portal that we would look a lot like Dan Hurley's third season this year. You can debate whether that team was truly a bubble team or not, but I remember tracking them on bubble watch a decent amount of the time that year.

That said, I think after the first game most of us realized the hole we were in was bigger than expected and adjusted our expectations going forward accordingly
There were two close losses vs. Dayton and Davidson that season that would have likely made the difference that season (in my opinion).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yale will be our toughest OOC home opponent by far.
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22019

Yale Bulldogs
2023-2024 Overall Rank: #76
Conference Rank: #1 Ivy League

2022-23 Record: 21-9, 10-4
2022-23 Postseason: NIT
Coach: James Jones
Coach Record: 373-301 at Yale, 373-301 overall

Key Departed Players:
EJ Jarvis, Forward, 11.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.6 apg
Isaiah Kelly, Forward, 6.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.4 apg

Key Returning Players:
Matt Knowling, Senior, Forward, 13.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg
John Poulakidas, Junior, Guard, 12.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.4 apg
August Mahoney, Senior, Guard, 10.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.5 apg
Bez Mbeng, Junior, Guard, 10.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 3.2 apg
Jack Molloy, Junior, Forward, 3.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.8 apg
Yassine Gharram, Junior, Guard, 3.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.1 apg

Key New Players:
Samson Aletan, Freshman, Center
Jeannot Basima, Freshman, Guard
Trevor Mullin, Freshman, Guard
Casey Simmons, Sophomore, Forward, Transfer from Northwestern

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Ditto.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dan was a freshman coach at freaking Wagner when we hired him. His first team had a bench of transfers that couldn't play. And we had the stink of Baron still on our shirts. Miller is a big boy. He coached Dayton to many NCAAT wins and then coached Indiana for 4 years before they left him. Where we were was in two consecutive NCAAT in 2017 and 2018. Cox was like JD. A bad hire in retrospect. But Miller? Cmon. It's not like we hired an unproven Hurley to run our team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dan was a freshman coach at freaking Wagner when we hired him. His first team had a bench of transfers that couldn't play. And we had the stink of Baron still on our shirts. Miller is a big boy. He coached Dayton to many NCAAT wins and then coached Indiana for 4 years before they left him. Where we were was in two consecutive NCAAT in 2017 and 2018. Cox was like JD. A bad hire in retrospect. But Miller? Cmon. It's not like we hired an unproven Hurley to run our team.
Granted he didn't have the Div.1 resume of Miller.
Remember Archie also stepped away from coaching for a year, so it put him behind.

When we hired Hurley he was considered a rising star and had the right connections.
He turned Wagner around in his 2nd season and prior to that was HC at top prep school St. Benedicts for 9 years.
Also was an assistant at Rutgers from 2001-2005
In addition, he had the tutelage from being the son of a HOF coach.
So, I wouldn't exactly call him green when he arrived.

Besides many would consider it much more difficult now than before.
The portal has hurt mid-majors more than it has helped.
NIL also makes it more difficult for schools like us to compete for quality recruits/transfers.
Also, expansion of the P5 and scheduling difficulties hasn't made things easier.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Remember Archie also stepped away from coaching for a year, so it put him behind.

When we hired Hurley he was considered a rising star and had the right connections.
He turned Wagner around in his 2nd season and prior to that was HC at top prep school St. Benedicts for 9 years.

NIL also makes it more difficult for schools like us to compete for quality recruits/transfers.
Also, expansion of the P5 and scheduling difficulties hasn't made things easier.
Are you making excuses? Like the portal where you can get any player and play them that same year? NIL? If URI doesn't want to pay players, why bother? It is what it is.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Are you making excuses? Like the portal where you can get any player and play them that same year? NIL? If URI doesn't want to pay players, why bother? It is what it is.
Not making excuses Blueram, I just always felt it would take Archie longer than 2 years to make us a contender.
I also happen to think the A10 is not a cake walk and the college landscape for schools like us is a more difficult path than before.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Archie's dad is a coaching legend in Pennsylvania.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Archie's dad is a coaching legend in Pennsylvania.
He is and his older brother Sean is also pretty good.
But that doesn't take away from Dan.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not making excuses Blueram, I just always felt it would take Archie longer than 2 years to make us a contender.
I also happen to think the A10 is not a cake walk and the college landscape for schools like us is a more difficult path than before.
The A10 is not a cake walk????????? It was a one bid league last year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Archie's dad is a coaching legend in Pennsylvania.
Just pointing that out since you mentioned that Dan learned from a HOF coach.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The A10 is not a cake walk????????? It was a one bid league last year.
Still a top 10 conference and lots of parity in our league.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago
Just pointing that out since you mentioned that Dan learned from a HOF coach.
I know B78. :)
0 x