'23 PG Cam Estevez (URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

'23 PG Cam Estevez (URI)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Cam Estevez - PG
School: Canterbury School (CT)
Travel/AAU: Riverside Hawks

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: ???

RANKINGS:
Verbal Commits: 2 star (composite)

OFFERS:
Duquesne
Fairfield
Fordham
Miami (OH)
Rhode Island
Robert Morris
St. Bonaventure
Towson
VCU
Vermont
Wagner
Wichita State

INTEREST:
Boston College
Mississippi State

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cam-estevez
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (Offer)

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cam Estevez, Riverside Hawks – Estevez’ recruitment has gained momentum throughout the spring, but could now be on the verge of picking up even more steam. He’s a big guard with terrific positional size at 6-foot-4 and the strong frame to match. He plays with great pace, has a terrific left hand, makes some high-level attacks of the rim, lives at the free-throw line, and has made clear strides with his jumper off both the catch and the dribble. He landed offers from St. Bonaventure in Wichita State in April and should be poised to add several more in that range.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Hey Stevey, I watched about half of the video posted above. His ability to go to the rim with either hand was apparent. Also, His jump shot did look a bit quirky to me at first, yet it’s effective. Some cuts showed off his defensive ability as well. Intriguing prospect. Another good one to follow.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Hey Stevey, I watched about half of the video posted above. His ability to go to the rim with either hand was apparent. Also, His jump shot did look a bit quirky to me at first, yet it’s effective. Some cuts showed off his defensive ability as well. Intriguing prospect. Another good one to follow.
I love his handle. I love the way he attacks with both hands. I love his size and mid-range. I love his ability to pass the ball...But I agree that his shot is awkward. He has a slow release, which will hurt him at the D1 level. He reminds me of what Jeff looked like in high school. At this stage, I'd rather we land a shot maker like Trey

I guess we will lose some players next year as Archie continues recruiting better players. If Ish and Thomas don't make a big jump this year, I could see both of them leave to lower majors. Who knows who stays from our frontcourt.

It's awesome seeing us in the mix with players being recruited by great programs again.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Seems to have really good vision on the court.
I believe the 'awkward' part is just his set up. His feet are much wider apart than most. Release looks good.
Nice recruit.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Seems to have really good vision on the court.
I believe the 'awkward' part is just his set up. His feet are much wider apart than most. Release looks good.
Nice recruit.
He seems to hold the ball slightly longer than you would like. At the next level, defenders will take advantage of that. But I agree that his form looks great once the shot is off.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That would be 4 recruits for the '23 class. Seems a little high.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’m completely guessing but If we are landing another point guard that gets me worried about Ant Harris. We haven’t seen him at one practice.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

LIke this add if it happens. We are going to see some turnover. Arch and Staff had an opportunity to truly evaluate what came back. Would not be surprised if all 5 players that came back moved on. Jalen and Martin are leaving. Looks like Samb is being recruited over. Ish is in a make or break year with the program. Weston, Harris, and Bray have the potential to be special. Arch might like Jalen better Ish in his system. Ish could transfer to a lower level closer to home and Dad? Bringing in Cam next year with his size and well rounded game spells trouble for Bassy in my opinion. Bassy is also in a make or break situation. If he can't shoot and can't physically defend in the A10 he will have to transfer? Those of you that have him in the top 10 players on this team are being very kind. He is not an A10 talent.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago LIke this add if it happens. We are going to see some turnover. Arch and Staff had an opportunity to truly evaluate what came back. Would not be surprised if all 5 players that came back moved on. Jalen and Martin are leaving. Looks like Samb is being recruited over. Ish is in a make or break year with the program. Weston, Harris, and Bray have the potential to be special. Arch might like Jalen better Ish in his system. Ish could transfer to a lower level closer to home and Dad? Bringing in Cam next year with his size and well rounded game spells trouble for Bassy in my opinion. Bassy is also in a make or break situation. If he can't shoot and can't physically defend in the A10 he will have to transfer? Those of you that have him in the top 10 players on this team are being very kind. He is not an A10 talent.
I'm holding out hope for Bassy. Have to root for the local kid. He does a lot of things well. He has to improve that shot. We'll see.
3 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
LIRAM wrote: 1 year ago LIke this add if it happens. We are going to see some turnover. Arch and Staff had an opportunity to truly evaluate what came back. Would not be surprised if all 5 players that came back moved on. Jalen and Martin are leaving. Looks like Samb is being recruited over. Ish is in a make or break year with the program. Weston, Harris, and Bray have the potential to be special. Arch might like Jalen better Ish in his system. Ish could transfer to a lower level closer to home and Dad? Bringing in Cam next year with his size and well rounded game spells trouble for Bassy in my opinion. Bassy is also in a make or break situation. If he can't shoot and can't physically defend in the A10 he will have to transfer? Those of you that have him in the top 10 players on this team are being very kind. He is not an A10 talent.
I'm holding out hope for Bassy. Have to root for the local kid. He does a lot of things well. He has to improve that shot. We'll see.
I truly hope I'm wrong and will root for the young man! Just can't see him playing on a Championship Level Team. Could he play at Brown? Could he play at Bryant? I see him at Franklin Pierce or Adelphi. Not trying to be cruel or snarky. He has so much heart and plays so hard and would be a Division two all conference player/all american type guy. I just want us to build the best team. Arch and Staff are building a team/program. Adding Connor and his shooting ability and Adrian as a true, small forward wing with size fills needs. Cam brings a big lead guard who makes us better on both sides of the ball. Hope we land this young man! Really excited about him and Connor!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points. Although, I am not sure about Bassy at Div 2. I think a transfer to a lower D1 conf is a fit for him if things don’t work out for him here.

That said, I am rooting for the local kid, too
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, I could see Ish and Bassy leave. Bassy has been proving people wrong his entire career, but his shot is a huge liability, and I think we were so bad at the guard position he stood out with his ability to be a playmaker. I love the idea of getting bigger athletic guards like Cam. I think Archie will continue to bring in better players than Bassy. Then again, if he develops a shot, he could be a nice piece. We’ll see!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago .
Can seems like a great kid and I hope we get him !!
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Here’s Cam’s Instagram. It took a while to find. He’s got photos from the URI official visit too.

https://instagram.com/_.slomo?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Here’s the photos from his visit back in July, the pics with the Rhody jacket are 🔥🔥🔥

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Remember when Lamar Odom, Elton Brand and Ron Artest played for Riverside Hawks AAU. Lamar played there for a short time.
Maybe Lamar can give him a call.

3 of his 6 finalists are A10 Schools. He was scheduled to visit St Bonaventure and VCU in September, already visited URI.

Feels like a Rhody addition coming today at 5pm
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the photos from his visit back in July, the pics with the Rhody jacket are 🔥🔥🔥

That gives me hope that we'll be seeing throwbacks this season! Now if they can get that stuff out for sale...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Cam’s a compelling prospect. He has good length and height (long and lanky). He appears a bit slow in his movements to me
at times (off of watching the 8 minute video posted above by Stevey) but, that could very well be because he may be still growing into his body.

His handle looks really good for his age group and height at 6’4. He looks to have good court vision as well, can finish at the rim with either hand and can shoot from the outside - although his form seems a bit quirky to me at times. But, that could be because he may still be growing into his body, imho.

If he is still growing some and ends up at 6’5-6’6, with his handle and length, he could be a valuable two way player. Especially under the tutelage of Archie and staff.

If everything works out, Cam could be a difficult backcourt matchup and another valuable piece in getting us back to relevance.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Looks like a nice all around player. Good court vision.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago Here’s the photos from his visit back in July, the pics with the Rhody jacket are 🔥🔥🔥

That gives me hope that we'll be seeing throwbacks this season! Now if they can get that stuff out for sale...
Either that or maybe those are actually Lamar Odom's Jersey / warmups who knows.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

He deleted that post of him in the Rhody gear earlier today...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago He deleted that post of him in the Rhody gear earlier today...
It seems odd to commit somewhere without visiting. As of today, he's visited one school, and that's Rhody. Maybe he's going to do that, though.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

He also visited Miami OH. He had pics on IG from that visit as well. He took that post down too for whatever that’s worth/means.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago He also visited Miami OH. He had pics on IG from that visit as well. He took that post down too for whatever that’s worth/means.
Oh shit my bad! Well ya, so he's clearly taken his visits down and is gonna post where he's going in 45 minutes! I thought I read on the bonnies board that he only visited us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Yeah, most reporting has said Rhody only visit. Somebody posted the IG yesterday - nice work BTW as was hard to find - and I noticed Miami OH visit pictures. Wonder what the connection there is…
0 x
Bo Bo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bo Bo »

Coming to Kingston!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Travis Steele hit the ground running at Miami of Ohio after getting fired by Xavier.
He already has 4 commitments for Class of 2023 with Elmer being the latest August 18th

Still feels to me like this is Rhody at 5pm

2★PGEvan Ipsaro(5-10 0)Committed
2★PGMekhi Cooper(5-10 0)Committed
2★SFEian Elmer(6-6 0)Committed
2★CJackson Kotecki(6-8 0)Committed
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Awesome! Have we lost a recruiting battle yet?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Impressive young man. Good bb potential. I like that he has good size and length for a guard. He could develop into a mismatch in the backcourt on both ends of the floor with his height and length. He has an excellent coaching staff to make him reach his full potential.

Welcome aboard young man! This program and its fans are hungry to get back to relevance. Now work your tail off and help Archie get us back to winning and the tourney. Make it so.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Great, like this commitment.
Good job Archie and the staff.

Assuming Carey doesn't return that means we over-signed 2 players.
I guess the portal will take care of that.

It's funny that several on KB (not me) thought Archie would leave a spot or 2 open.
Archie did just the opposite and over-signed currently thru 24-25.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I agree on the commitment, Jersey.

I get what you’re saying on the other points. I was one who initially thought Archie would leave spots open. But, no sit out transferring and the portal has really changed recruiting. It’s like recruiting on steroids 24/7. It sure keeps me glued to the Recruiting Board here on KB.

Good stuff!

Question to you and others here…Do you see some similarities with the high school recruits Archie is targeting/signing?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (Rhode Island Verbal)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Those throw back jerseys and warm ups- HOLY BEAUTIFUL
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Question to you and others here…Do you see some similarities with the high school recruits Archie is targeting/signing?
Versatility?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

So I watched a few full games. In two, he looked incredible. In another, when his shot wasn't falling, he started walking back on D on multiple possessions, and his coach benched him. Let's hope that's not the norm.

I uploaded this video where he is going up against about 4 top 100 recruits. I love how he defends, and his shot looks better than the original video I posted. He has been working on his game. My favorite clip is the last shot at the end of the video; he almost breaks the defender's ankle and then hits a 3.

Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Great, like this commitment.

It's funny that several on KB (not me) thought Archie would leave a spot or 2 open.

I recall a posting or two that seemed really sure that Miller was leaving a spot open but that was for the 2022-23 season. I was so sure it seemed to have been heard from Miller himself. I do not think anyone was ever referring to the level of Recruiting for the Class of 2023.

I think the Rule changed are significantly changing the College Basketball recruiting process.
  • 1800 in transfer portal last two years is an average of 5.1 transfers out per D1 Team - that's AVERAGE!!
  • NIL with even low mid majors creating NIL plans
  • Transfers allowed every year with no sit-out
So now we have Coaches recruiting OVER their allotment because they are anticipating the 5.1 Transfers per year. As Miller brings in Class of 2023 players well before the 1st November Commitment Date we know that current roster underclassmen are looking back over their shoulders and wondering about their future playing time. Still only 200 Total Minutes to spread per team per game.

Class of 2023 Players are committing faster than I have ever seen.

Looking at the Class of 2023 Top 100 ESPN:
  • 46 of the Top 100 are already committed and we are still in August. I don't ever remember that many players already committed this early
  • Early commitments are happening with the Top 100 to 250 as well. Players can transfer without the sit out penalty so it's easier to transfer - players know that AND Head Coaches know that. So it makes perfect sense to over-recruit your roster positions
  • Of the 46 Committments 42 are P5 Programs, only 4 Non P5:
  • Georgetown - #22 Marvel Allen
  • Gonzaga - #45 Dusty Stromer
  • UCONN - #53 Stephon Castle (actually committed as a Junior)
  • St John's - #90 Brandon Garner
Even the Big East is getting squeezed out by the P5's. Still 54 to go.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice comment from Adam Finkelstein plus good article 247sports on Estevez attached

@AdamFinkelstein
43m
I thought Canterbury (CT) & @RiversideHawks
guard Cam Estevez was a high-major sleeper this summer.

He just became the third player to commit to Rhode Island in the last two weeks. https://247sports.com/Article/college-b ... 191928949/
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Great, like this commitment.

I recall a posting or two that seemed really sure that Miller was leaving a spot open but that was for the 2022-23 season. I was so sure it seemed to have been heard from Miller himself. I do not think anyone was ever referring to the level of Recruiting for the Class of 2023.

I think the Rule changed are significantly changing the College Basketball recruiting process.
  • 1800 in transfer portal last two years is an average of 5.1 transfers out per D1 Team - that's AVERAGE!!
  • NIL with even low mid majors creating NIL plans
  • Transfers allowed every year with no sit-out
So now we have Coaches recruiting OVER their allotment because they are anticipating the 5.1 Transfers per year. As Miller brings in Class of 2023 players well before the 1st November Commitment Date we know that current roster underclassmen are looking back over their shoulders and wondering about their future playing time. Still only 200 Total Minutes to spread per team per game.

Class of 2023 Players are committing faster than I have ever seen.

Looking at the Class of 2023 Top 100 ESPN:
  • 46 of the Top 100 are already committed and we are still in August. I don't ever remember that many players already committed this early
  • Early commitments are happening with the Top 100 to 250 as well. Players can transfer without the sit out penalty so it's easier to transfer - players know that AND Head Coaches know that. So it makes perfect sense to over-recruit your roster positions
  • Of the 46 Committments 42 are P5 Programs, only 4 Non P5:
  • Georgetown - #22 Marvel Allen
  • Gonzaga - #45 Dusty Stromer
  • UCONN - #53 Stephon Castle (actually committed as a Junior)
  • St John's - #90 Brandon Garner
Even the Big East is getting squeezed out by the P5's. Still 54 to go.
Yeah, several did post they thought Archie would leave a spot open for 22-23 and claim he even said it.
I think I watched all his interviews and postings and didn't recall him saying that.
As a matter of fact, he did say he would add as late as possible, so I got the impression our roster would be full.

I don't think it is that early to get commitments for class of '23.
Early signing period is 11/9 - 11/16/22.

If Archie feels good about the recruits fit, he wants to get him locked up. Makes sense.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good info, Ramster. KB never fails to deliver.

I agree regarding the NBE. Will they, how will they adapt?

I have another question for the KB crew. I have a lot of extra time on my hands and was thinking about impacts of NIL. Anyway, with NIL, is the college athlete amateur status still intact? What if a player skips college to go pro then, say 5-7 years later or more decides he wants a college degree to fall back on for when his playing days end. Plus grab some NIL money at the same time. Can he play college ball?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If anyone is interested, I am going to shoot my question over to the General Recruiting thread so as not to derail this one.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Awesome! Have we lost a recruiting battle yet?
With how stealth the recruiting has been I'm sure we have, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. It feels like we're back to how recruiting was under Hurley where if a recruit made it to our campus they were committing here
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3 x