'23 PG Cam Estevez (URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (URI Commit)

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Kid needs to hit the gym. I like to compare guards against Jared Terrell. Guy was like a truck. Built strong. Cam needs to hit the weight room and get strong. Total commitment and he could be a good one.
What a ridiculous statement lol.

Terrell was in like the top 1% of physically built guards. He’s the exception not the rule
Last edited by KingstonLane 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Kid needs to hit the gym. I like to compare guards against Jared Terrell. Guy was like a truck. Built strong. Cam needs to hit the weight room and get strong. Total commitment and he could be a good one.

Terrell was in like the top 1% of physically built guards. He’s the exceptional not the rule
Huh? Seems exceptional goes to the NCAAT, the rule basically stays home. Ridiculous? No.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Terrell was in like the top 1% of physically built guards. He’s the exceptional not the rule
Huh? Seems exceptional goes to the NCAAT, the rule basically stays home. Ridiculous? No.
Do you think every guard in the NCAAT is built like Jared? I’d venture a guess that of the hundreds of guards on NCAAT rosters this March, maybe 2 or 3 are built anywhere close to the way he was. Jared’s physicality was an important part of who he was as a player for us, but there are lots of ways to play that lead to winning and not all of them (in fact very very few of them) involve being built like Jared Terrell.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well, I would like a player like Jared again. And EC. Soon.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago He looks like he has the frame to handle bulking up some.
Him and Connor are ready to put in the work on and off the court…They’ll be hitting the gym. But I think it’ll take a season before they make a real impact. We need a A10 starting level point guard bad. With Bassy leaving I’m assuming that means our staff is confident we will get one .
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He didn't get the high major offers, but if he's really good his freshman year, those offers will come.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jared was built like an NFL linebacker when he was 16 years old.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Or built like former A10 champ and NCAA tourney winner / current NBA player Jeff Dowtin.

That might work too.
2 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Or built like former A10 champ and NCAA tourney winner / current NBA player Jeff Dowtin.

That might work too.
That will work as well. But have you seen Jeff lately? Dude has put some muscle on.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

That might work too.
That will work as well. But have you seen Jeff lately? Dude has put some muscle on.
Well yes, he’s a grown man who is currently a fridge NBA player. He needs to put in muscle or else he’d be stuck in the G League.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

That might work too.
Well yes, he’s a grown man who is currently a fridge NBA player. He needs to put in muscle or else he’d be stuck in the G League.
Lol love when you guys just make stuff up.

Ja morant and Trae young are top 5 guards in the league. They each weigh like 170lbs soaking wet

Guards don’t need to be jacked out of their mind
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Lol love when you guys just make stuff up.

Ja morant and Trae young are top 5 guards in the league. They each weigh like 170lbs soaking wet

Guards don’t need to be jacked out of their mind
…what exactly did I make up?

Dowtin isn’t even near the player of Young or Morant obviously, so he has to work his ass off if he wants to stick in the league.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That might work too.
Jeff has gotten so much better. That kid has put in the work on and off the court.. I spoke to him at his summer camp this past summer, and he looked absolutely HUGE.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

No offense, but WTF are you talking about a great former Rhody guard in a thread about a 2023 recruit?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago No offense, but WTF are you talking about a great former Rhody guard in a thread about a 2023 recruit?
They thought it was the Ant thread?
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago No offense, but WTF are you talking about a great former Rhody guard in a thread about a 2023 recruit?
They thought it was the Ant thread?
Lol. Nice.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

New England Class of 2023
Ranking Recruit Class Height High School Committed School
1 TJ Power 2023 6'8" Worcester Academy Duke
2 JP Estrella 2023 6'11" Brewster Academy Tennessee
3 Taylor Bowen 2023 6'9" Brewster Academy Florida State
4 Gavin Griffiths 2023 6'7" Kingswood-Oxford Rutgers
5 Tre Norman 2023 6'3" Worcester Academy Marquette
6 Papa Kante 2023 6'10" South Kent School Michigan
7 Reid Ducharme 2023 6'6" Brewster Academy Xavier
8 Mouhamed Dioubate 2023 6'7" Putnam Science Acad. Alabama
9 Aaron Clark 2023 6'5" Brewster Academy Wake Forest
10 Cam Estevez 2023 6'3" Canterbury Rhode Island

Estevez Ranked #10 in New England.
The 9 Players ahead of him are going to P6 Schools with 7 going P5 and 2 going BE
Duke
Tennessee
Florida State
Rutgers
Marquette
Michigan
Xavier
Alabama
Wake Forest
Rhode Island
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago New England Class of 2023

The 9 Players ahead of him are going to P6 Schools with 7 going P5 and 2 going BE
Duke
Tennessee
Florida State
Rutgers
Marquette
Michigan
Xavier
Alabama
Wake Forest
Impressive.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Carroll recruit?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

STC wrote: 1 year agoCarroll recruit?
I believe a Woodward recruit
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yup I'm very high on Cam. Very excited to see him develop.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago New England Class of 2023

Duke
Tennessee
Florida State
Rutgers
Marquette
Michigan
Xavier
Alabama
Wake Forest
Rhode Island
Really good find Ramster , love this kids size and hope he turns into an absolute beast of a player
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I always felt that Estevez could handle this type of duty year one, so long as we got him the right supporting cast.

Right supporting cast example would be: House, Pride, Montgomery.

So, naturally, any time I tried to suggest that, I got shot down with "WE NEED A POINT GUARD! COMBO GUARDS SUCK AND AREN'T GOING TO MOVE THE NEEDLE"

I still think Estevez can handle being a game manager and possibly more, dishing the ball off to a variety of talented seasoned guards. Without needing someone to model after.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

If we use him this year he looks to transfer to a bigger program if he plays well/bigger schools try and poach him

If we dont use him this year he looks to transfer due to lack of usage

I love college basketball!
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The only fly in the ointment is Estevez hasn't faced A-10 level competition, so we don't know how durable he is, when the bodies start crashing.

If we lost him to injury then that would be a significant problem. Hence you try to get a good, seasoned, proven, one year rental grad PG, someone who can move the needle, until you figure that out about Cam.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The only fly in the ointment is Estevez hasn't faced A-10 level competition, so we don't know how durable he is, when the bodies start crashing.

If we lost him to injury then that would be a significant problem. Hence you try to get a good, seasoned, proven, one year rental grad PG, someone who can move the needle, until you figure that out about Cam.
That’s why I think the staff is having Luis on a visit first

Your going to get one guaranteed / maybe two years out of him and then have cam run the point compared to
Always Wright who’s here for another 3 years and cam wouldn’t truly see starters minutes until his senior year
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago If we use him this year he looks to transfer to a bigger program if he plays well/bigger schools try and poach him

If we dont use him this year he looks to transfer due to lack of usage

I love college basketball!
It’s a crappy situation but have to take that risk (to play him despite the flight risk fear), imho, to build the program back up until we can adapt to a point where we can mitigate the potential player losses or keep the key pieces from leaving somehow.

We have been in a situation (prior to NIL) of being at risk of good players leaving to move up but for different reasons. If at all possible, we need to adapt - with or without the A10 - to mitigate the NIL dominant cycle if we are committed to competing on a NCAAT level.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago That’s why I think the staff is having Luis on a visit first

Your going to get one guaranteed / maybe two years out of him and then have cam run the point compared to
Always Wright who’s here for another 3 years and cam wouldn’t truly see starters minutes until his senior year
I wasn't referring to Luis. I was referring to someone like Noah, who is now gone.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago That’s why I think the staff is having Luis on a visit first

I wasn't referring to Luis. I was referring to someone like Noah, who is now gone.
Ah I gotcha, my b
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't really see Luis helping Cam in any way. If anything, he's just going to eat up minutes that Cam could be out there.

Like someone said earlier this week: who would come here, just to sit on the bench?

If you are going to get someone that Cam has to play behind, make sure they are significantly better than Cam in many ways, else I think what the person above said will end up being prophetic, and he'll just get frustrated and leave.

A talented freshman in the year 2023 might wait for one year behind someone like a Noah Fernandes, they aren't going to wait two years behind someone like Luis Kortright.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Ah I gotcha, my b
Sorry, didn't mean to pile on.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I don't really see Luis helping Cam in any way. If anything, he's just going to eat up minutes that Cam could be out there.

Like someone said earlier this week: who would come here, just to sit on the bench?

If you are going to get someone that Cam has to play behind, make sure they are significantly better than Cam in many ways, else I think what the person above said will end up being prophetic, and he'll just get frustrated and leave.

A talented freshman in the year 2023 might wait for one year behind someone like a Noah Fernandes, they aren't going to wait two years behind someone like Luis Kortright.
But jcru, he would’ve had to sit behind Bray for two years anyway and he knew that coming in when he committed last year, he knew he wasn’t starting right away

Would’ve been different if we had no PG when he committed

No need to apologize as well man we’re all fans who can’t sit still until we get results, all love
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I don't really see Luis helping Cam in any way. If anything, he's just going to eat up minutes that Cam could be out there.

But jcru, he would’ve had to sit behind Bray for two years anyway and he knew that coming in when he committed last year, he knew he wasn’t starting right away

No need to apologize as well man we’re all fans who can’t sit still until we get results, all love
Estevez is a combo guard, he can play both positions, so he would not have been on the bench behind Kortright or Freeman.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Estevez is a combo guard, he can play both positions, so he would not have been on the bench behind Kortright or Freeman.
Wouldn’t that put him behind ish then when he committed for the next two years
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Cam did an interview after he committed with the Vault. He said he considers himself to be a scorer first but he also said he's an underrated passer. I don't know, but it sounds like he thinks of himself as a 2.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Wouldn’t that put him behind ish then when he committed for the next two years
No, he could play any of the 3 guard positions. Not just Freeman and not just Leggett.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are hopeful Cam can get about 20 minutes per game as a frosh to start to develop
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Stud.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '23 PG Cam Estevez (URI)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cam comes in at #14 for top 2023 recruits from New England. Highest ranked of any kids coming into the A10. Only P6 kids ahead of him.

2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Kansas got Jay-Z and Beyonce's kid? Noice.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Cam comes in at #14 for top 2023 recruits from New England. Highest ranked of any kids coming into the A10. Only P6 kids ahead of him.

Great find, Bar.

Wait, Uh ohh...Cam is ranked higher than Duane Thompson? That's not good for the people on here that were complaining about our staff after Thompson committed to Bonnies recently... Maybe Archie can win some recruiting battles and can recruit some legit talent?

I've been saying it for months. Cam is a stud.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One thing I noticed is there are about 15 players on that list from Worcester Academy and Brewster, including 8 of the top 12. Those are the 2 schools that Austin played at...
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Cam comes in at #14 for top 2023 recruits from New England. Highest ranked of any kids coming into the A10. Only P6 kids ahead of him.

Great find, Bar.

Wait, Uh ohh...Cam is ranked higher than Duane Thompson? That's not good for the people on here that were complaining about our staff after Thompson committed to Bonnies recently... Maybe Archie can win some recruiting battles and can recruit some legit talent?

I've been saying it for months. Cam is a stud.
Yeah very hopeful that Cam can be that next great recruit , we are due for one
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's the '24 list. How many of these guys are we on?

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ss-of-2024
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Here's the '24 list. How many of these guys are we on?

Luka Toews (13) and Rashawn Tibby (15) we have offers to them, will Austin be able to recruit them probably not

As I said earlier if we’re going to get better recruiting is higher the Brewster HC is Austin’s spot as AC
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Here's the '24 list. How many of these guys are we on?

Luka Toews (13) and Rashawn Tibby (15) we have offers to them, will Austin be able to recruit them probably not

As I said earlier if we’re going to get better recruiting is higher the Brewster HC is Austin’s spot as AC
Excellent info. 👍🏼

Much appreciated, guys.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago

Also in on Que Duncan (14), London Jemison (20), and Josh Ojuri (35). And maybe others that I missed.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Estevez is ranked ONE spot higher than Thompson. A complete toss up. Let's not act like he's 50 spots higher and there's a crazy big gap between the two.

Wait and see approach with these kids...rankings, especially niche ones like NERR, have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I would quote the person who brought up the rankings between the two players, but I was told to leave him alone and I don't want to hurt his feelings.
0 x
Go Rhody