'23 PG Cam Estevez (URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (Rhode Island signee)

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (Rhode Island Verbal)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow sounds like we got an absolute steal with this kid !!
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. My mom was rescued from Sanibel Island and will be moving near me in Miami so I have not been able to do any podcasts. But I am ready to interview Cam Estevez.

Do you have any questions for him?
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

1 x
Common sense is not common.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '23 NJ PG Cam Estevez (URI Commit)

Unread post by adam914 »

2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Let’s go!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Stevey, Cam has a skill set that fits into Archie’s O philosophy nicely.

Keep developing, young man and don’t forget to work on the D end and to study up on packline D principles.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Stevey, Cam has a skill set that fits into Archie’s O philosophy nicely.

Keep developing, young man and don’t forget to work on the D end and to study up on packline D principles.
JD, if I remember correctly, he prides himself on his defense.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, Jersey.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cam has looked better and better...

Here’s a clip of back to back games. The first one he hit 5 3s in the very next game he hit 7!

We have some shooters coming!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Every one of them is well beyond the 3 pt line. Nice to see.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Wow…impressive shooting! Very exciting. Thanks for posting!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Much needed firepower for next season.
Good job on these Stevey
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Cam has looked better and better...

Here’s a clip of back to back games. The first one he hit 5 3s in the very next game he hit 7!

Name me some players on our roster that hits tough 3 pt shots like this? Bray does. Ish can. That’s about it…

I don’t care that it’s a “highlight clip” these are very hard shots to hit and Cam is doing it consistently. He dropped 33 pts in the game I watched a few days ago…
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Definitely some tough shots there. Here's to hoping it translates to the college level when the time comes.
2 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Them be some mighty DEEEEEEP threes!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Them be some mighty DEEEEEEP threes!
I found myself wondering why he was shooting so far back from the 3P line - sometimes it looked like he could have gotten himself closer for a higher percentage 3P, but then it's player highlights where I have never seen a shot taken that didn't go in.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Them be some mighty DEEEEEEP threes!
I found myself wondering why he was shooting so far back from the 3P line - sometimes it looked like he could have gotten himself closer for a higher percentage 3P, but then it's player highlights where I have never seen a shot taken that didn't go in.
Keep in mind these aren't highlights from a full season... I'm posting clips of single games. Any player that hits 17 3s while averaging close to 30ppg in a total of three games should get this fanbase a little excited. Yes, I know playing D1 is another ballgame, but still. He's hitting VERY tough shots, which I love to see.

He scored in a variety of ways and was a great playmaker. I think he'll make a bigger impact compared to Connor.

Now I noticed some negatives as well. He can take some bad shots and force it. He had some costly turnovers. He also seemed to fall asleep on the defensive end sometimes. He seems to fall in love with the 3 pt shot too much. He often shot an NBA 3 when he could have easily taken it to the hoop. These are all things he'll get better at as he matures.

Like Adam Fink said. This kid looks like a high-major guard. We need him to be if this team is going to make a jump...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Should folks be excited about this dude? I mean, the The Dan Yorke thread has 4 pages....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Should folks be excited about this dude? I mean, the The Dan Yorke thread has 4 pages....
If he doesn't show up he will have 16+ pages.
6 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Should folks be excited about this dude? I mean, the The Dan Yorke thread has 4 pages....
If he doesn't show up he will have 16+ pages.
Well played. I see what you did there… 8-)
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Excited about this kid. Look forward to watching him in Keaney blue..
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Excited about this kid. Look forward to watching him in Keaney blue..
He could suck and still be better than Sebastian.
3 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

6’4” playing in a good travel circuit star of his team, yeah he’ll be just fine here, Bassy will be at Bryant or Brown next year anyway
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah we need this kid to be the real deal then things can change really quickly
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Did you watch any of the clips or live games I sent over? I would check those out. I think he has a ton of potential. Big guard, hits very tough shots, has range, and is a playmaker. What excites the most is the contested 3s he hits consistently. I watched a handful of live games. Most recently the first game he dropped 26 and hit 5 3s. In the next game, he hit 7 3s and dropped 30. I think he will be a very good player eventually.

I do think it's unreasonable to expect this kid to make a significant impact the second he plays. It will take time. But I could see him being a part of the rotation in conference play next year.

Archie has to find a starting-level frontcourt piece for next year, and I think he needs to bring on an older guard like Carey to bridge the gap until Connor and Cam develop.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, we don't just need him to be better than Bassy. We need him to be good. Archie can't have a bunch of misses this next class.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Ya, we don't just need him to be better than Bassy. We need him to be good. Archie can't have a bunch of misses this next class.
Archie has said that the new practice facility is a "game changer" in regards to recruiting. We'll see what the '24,'25, etc. classes look like.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

From the vids Stevie posted, you can see that he can hit the 3
either off the dribble or the catch. 👍🏼
1 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Excited about this kid. Look forward to watching him in Keaney blue..
I just can't help commenting. When I read this post, and others like it, and then see several "likes", I start to wonder why I even read this forum!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
I just can't help commenting. When I read this post, and others like it, and then see several "likes", I start to wonder why I even read this forum!
This was a shot at Thomas, not Estevez.

Anyone defending Thomas at this point just hasn’t watched any games.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago From the vids Stevie posted, you can see that he can hit the 3
either off the dribble or the catch. 👍🏼
He sure can. Who can do that on our team right now? Bray can sometimes.. Carey is a tough shot maker. Ish is much better as a catch and shoot 3 pt shooter. No one else can.

These two, for example. He hits shots like these consistently... We'll see I hope I'm right because we need better talent!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s important to note or periodically remind ourselves of the distinction as we need both types of 3 point shooters. The fact that we have potentially both types in one player is exciting to me. Add Connor and it bodes well for our future 3 point shooting.

Of course, when that future arrives is debatable.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I'm sorry if you feel I'm defending Thomas. However Archie must believe he adds something to the lineup. He is getting quite a few minutes. And you know, I don't even mind that you think he is unworthy to play on this team. But I believe that any and all players on this team deserve a modicum of respect. They work their butts off on the court and in the weight room, while trying to keep up grades. And to call any of them out with any kind of foul language in a public forum like KB, is unnecessary. Keep those strong words for private discussions. These kids, especially our kids, aren't pros. I didn't mean to single you out. However it had been building up in me for a long time. You are not the only offender, and I apologize for tossing this little rant at you. I just think we should all go a little easier with the language when criticizing all these kids. Carry on.
12 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm sorry if you feel I'm defending Thomas. However Archie must believe he adds something to the lineup. He is getting quite a few minutes. And you know, I don't even mind that you think he is unworthy to play on this team. But I believe that any and all players on this team deserve a modicum of respect. They work their butts off on the court and in the weight room, while trying to keep up grades. And to call any of them out with any kind of foul language in a public forum like KB, is unnecessary. Keep those strong words for private discussions. These kids, especially our kids, aren't pros. I didn't mean to single you out. However it had been building up in me for a long time. You are not the only offender, and I apologize for tossing this little rant at you. I just think we should all go a little easier with the language when criticizing all these kids. Carry on.

If you think I’m being hard on Thomas hopefully you weren’t around a few years ago 😂😂

I’m not even that hard on Thomas compared to others, and no need to apologize.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I had to defend Thomas a few times this year. There is one specific poster that bashes him every second he can. Not 15...

But, this is D1 basketball, after all. These kids will be praised when they play well and post it on social media, and they'll be criticized when they play poorly. Most people on here have said they love that Thomas is from RI and has a ton of heart, but in the heat of the moment, when all of us want a win, that's when you're gonna see people overreact. Including myself...

I personally think we should be more forgiven when people get upset in games. We are die-hard fans and have dealt with much heartache rooting for this program. It's the few people on here that seem to bash him 24/7, or even when he plays well, that really bothers me.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

There are times when Bass makes poor passes and definitely do not want him shooting threes, but in the heat of the moment I trust his handle better than anyone else on the team.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I had to defend Thomas a few times this year. There is one specific poster that bashes him every second he can. Not 15...

But, this is D1 basketball, after all. These kids will be praised when they play well and post it on social media, and they'll be criticized when they play poorly. Most people on here have said they love that Thomas is from RI and has a ton of heart, but in the heat of the moment, when all of us want a win, that's when you're gonna see people overreact. Including myself...

I personally think we should be more forgiven when people get upset in games. We are die-hard fans and have dealt with much heartache rooting for this program. It's the few people on here that seem to bash him 24/7, or even when he plays well, that really bothers me.
I'm not defending Thomas. I think it is obvious that Archie believes he makes the team better. Maybe he gets buried in the future with better recruits. But right now, he helps the team.

I attend all home games, and watch every televised or streamed game (and have as long as anyone), and during games and even after, I will criticize kids who had poor games, poor shooting, dumb ass plays, poor defense, boxing out, etc. But this criticism is shared privately (or occasionally with people sitting nearby who hear me when I get a little too loud). When you criticize amateur athletes that represent your school or team, that are giving good honest effort, I then think you need to soften your language and dial it back a bit on public forums. No kid wants to read, or hear fans in the RC crowd, telling him that he S--KS. For that same reason, the fans in the RC, for the most part, don't boo the players or team. I think it is bad for the team, bad for the school, and shows no class. Criticism is fine, just tone it down a notch in public. Go boo the Friars or UConn, or even the refs, not our Rams!
Sorry folks. That's my take on the subject. I won't mention it again.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm not defending Thomas. I think it is obvious that Archie believes he makes the team better. Maybe he gets buried in the future with better recruits. But right now, he helps the team.

I attend all home games, and watch every televised or streamed game (and have as long as anyone), and during games and even after, I will criticize kids who had poor games, poor shooting, dumb ass plays, poor defense, boxing out, etc. But this criticism is shared privately (or occasionally with people sitting nearby who hear me when I get a little too loud). When you criticize amateur athletes that represent your school or team, that are giving good honest effort, I then think you need to soften your language and dial it back a bit on public forums. No kid wants to read, or hear fans in the RC crowd, telling him that he S--KS. For that same reason, the fans in the RC, for the most part, don't boo the players or team. I think it is bad for the team, bad for the school, and shows no class. Criticism is fine, just tone it down a notch in public. Go boo the Friars or UConn, or even the refs, not our Rams!
Sorry folks. That's my take on the subject. I won't mention it again.
I agree with this.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

IMO Dayton game was a loss without Thomas minutes.

He has a role on this team.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think going forward Bassy can get 10-12 minutes of backup point guard duty on a top 4 conference team

If we expect him to avg of 20 minutes s per game I’d be shocked if we were a top 4 conference team
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Can we please take this discussion out of the thread of a player that just committed to URI and has yet to play a game here?
Thanks
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

When does the high school season end? would love to see how his year ends out.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am curios too, Phipsi, especially any playoff stats, if any, as well - just to see how he is reacting to the added pressure.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Cam is going to be a really good addition. Like a Leggett apprentice.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Name me some players on our roster that hits tough 3 pt shots like this? Bray does. Ish can. That’s about it…

I don’t care that it’s a “highlight clip” these are very hard shots to hit and Cam is doing it consistently. He dropped 33 pts in the game I watched a few days ago…
We really need this kid to be good..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We really need this kid to be good..
Yes we do Stevey. We really need this kid to be A10 caliber.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Kid needs to hit the gym. I like to compare guards against Jared Terrell. Guy was like a truck. Built strong. Cam needs to hit the weight room and get strong. Total commitment and he could be a good one.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

He looks like he has the frame to handle bulking up some.
0 x