'20 France PF - Alex Tchikou (Alabama ---> URI ---> Detroit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: '20 France PF - Alex Tchikou (Alabama ---> URI)

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s go!!!!!!!!

6’11
Has a handle
Has a midrange
Can hit the 3
Can play and defend multiple positions

One word comes to mind when looking at this kid. Versatility!!!

It’s hilarious that we may have landed the kid with the most upside on the team at the end of June. Some on here said all the impactful recruits have committed… Ya right…

I love Archie. I love KJ. I love this program. Go, Rhody!!!!
He said he would be recruiting til September for this years team.
He continues to demonstrate that.
Yup i know. I uploaded this video where he discusses how he plans on recruiting as long as possible.

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Great form on his jumper and he’s 6 ‘11 what a find
To get basketball geeky on you, his jumper form is not the good.

1) You'll see he often, although not always, twists and contorts his upper body while in air on his jumper. He's not totally square to the basket while shooting.
2) Sometimes his follow thru is abbreviated.
3) This is my opinion...I'm not a huge fan of 6'11" guys fading on jump shots over guys that they're taller than.

Moving beyond his jumper...
4) Where is he cleaning the glass? Where is my Antonio Reynolds-Dean being man in the paint? Be a beast.
5) Didn't see a lot of post ups. Saw a lot of floating on the perimeter. What's good to show NBA scouts isn't necessarily what's good for URI.

I hope he's not a 6'11" guy who plays like he's 6'6". We'll see how he pans out. I'm hopeful like everyone else but I'll reserve judgement after a few years. (Everyone looks good on tape...they never show the misses/turnovers, etc. Right?)
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Been waiting for this tweet all day.

I like it, but still question marks. Great players he's signing but injuries are affecting my perception.
I think at the current point in the recruiting cycle, it makes sense to go after guys like this, because it's probably your best chance at upside and potential. Right now, there is one guy left unsigned on the ESPN Top 100 for 2022, for example. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of them just never work out - some degradation of skills to injury, regardless of how well a surgery went, can happen.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

1) You'll see he often, although not always, twists and contorts his upper body while in air on his jumper. He's not totally square to the basket while shooting.
3) This is my opinion...I'm not a huge fan of 6'11" guys fading on jump shots over guys that they're taller than.

4) Where is he cleaning the glass? Where is my Antonio Reynolds-Dean being man in the paint? Be a beast.
5) Didn't see a lot of post ups. Saw a lot of floating on the perimeter. What's good to show NBA scouts isn't necessarily what's good for URI.

I hope he's not a 6'11" guy who plays like he's 6'6". We'll see how he pans out. I'm hopeful like everyone else but I'll reserve judgement after a few years. (Everyone looks good on tape...they never show the misses/turnovers, etc. Right?)
I agree, he will have to be a presence in the paint. Let the guards be guards.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

I agree, he will have to be a presence in the paint. Let the guards be guards.
I don't care how his form looks as long as the ball goes in the hoop.

At 6'11" and if his talent/skill matches up to his play, Archie will find a spot for him on the court wherever that may be.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon that we will be good this year? I don’t think all of these guys will be ready to go this year, but we have brought in so much high end talent I think we are going to get there. On top of that the pieces seem to fit together cohesively with a plan to play a certain style.

Love this pickup. Like Weston he is a guy if he heals up properly can be really good.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon that we will be good this year? I don’t think all of these guys will be ready to go this year, but we have brought in so much high end talent I think we are going to get there. On top of that the pieces seem to fit together cohesively with a plan to play a certain style.

Love this pickup. Like Weston he is a guy if he heals up properly can be really good.
Not sure how good we will be this season but should be interesting and fun to watch.

I think we are still at least a year away,

I do really like the way Archie constructed this roster and KJ and Duane's contributions are huge, what an upgrade in our staff.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon that we will be good this year? I don’t think all of these guys will be ready to go this year, but we have brought in so much high end talent I think we are going to get there. On top of that the pieces seem to fit together cohesively with a plan to play a certain style.

High end potential*.

Most of the highest ranked transfers are coming off serious injuries.

Our top three highest (high school) ranked transfers have suffered a Torn Achilles, torn ACLs, and season ending ankle injury.

All three haven’t produced in college.

It’s the type of gamble a program like ours has to take though.

Find highly ranked hs kids who are transferring down for one reason or another.

If all return to pre injury form (a big if, let’s be honest) odds are we could be scary good.

It’s different than the Stan and Kuran down transfers because both of them didn’t have serious previous injuries.
4 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

This isn't 90s basketball. Nowadays, landing forwards that can hit the 3 and handle the ball is very important. He reminds me of Siakam. Before people freak out and say something like, how can you compare him to Siakam? He's not remotely close to his talent or skill level right now. I'm simply giving a comparison.

We saw what it was like having two bigs post up and have no range the last two seasons with the Twins. We landed Bilau, Foumena, and KC. They look like more traditional centers. Tchikou and Rory are more of those stretch 4s. I love what Archie is doing with this roster, and having NBA scouts sniffing around the Ryan Center would be great for our program.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I guess it depends on the definition of good in this case. To me being good means making the tournament, thats the ultimate goal. There are so many unknowns it's really tough to say, with guys coming off injuries and some having not played in a game in a couple years, I can't make that leap for this year just yet.

At this point I am just excited to be excited about URI basketball again. To plan my days around making sure I don't miss a game again. To be pacing in front of the TV because I can't sit down during a game again. To feel like no matter what we at least have a chance to win every game again. To know that the entire program is finally in good hands again. We'll get there eventually, it's just a matter of when.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon that we will be good this year? I don't think all of these guys will be ready to go this year, but we have brought in so much high end talent I think we are going to get there. On top of that the pieces seem to fit together cohesively with a plan to play a certain style.

High end potential*.

Our top three highest (high school) ranked transfers have suffered a Torn Achilles, torn ACLs, and season ending ankle injury.

All three haven't produced in college.

It's the type of gamble a program like ours has to take though.

If all return to pre injury form (a big if, let's be honest) odds are we could be scary good.

It's different than the Stan and Kuran down transfers because both of them didn't have serious previous injuries.
True, we have some injury concerns, but the good news is Ant and Tchikou were both healthy last season, so I'm sure they are back to 100%

2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Not sure how good we will be this season but should be interesting and fun to watch.

I do really like the way Archie constructed this roster and KJ and Duane's contributions are huge, what an upgrade in our staff.
I have zero expectations this year and it's going to be the best season in a long time. I can't wait.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else jumping on the bandwagon that we will be good this year? I don't think all of these guys will be ready to go this year, but we have brought in so much high end talent I think we are going to get there. On top of that the pieces seem to fit together cohesively with a plan to play a certain style.

High end potential*.

All three haven't produced in college.

It's the type of gamble a program like ours has to take though.

If all return to pre injury form (a big if, let's be honest) odds are we could be scary good.

It's different than the Stan and Kuran down transfers because both of them didn't have serious previous injuries.
True, we have some injury concerns, but the good news is Ant and Tchikou were both healthy last season, so I'm sure they are back to 100%

And Brandon is already here practicing with the team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I went on the Tide forum and asked about Alex. This was a response that I got.

He was always a project as he has only been playing basketball for a few years. I think the injury slowed his development down. He could turn into a decent player for you guys because he is very raw. He just isn’t a high major player. I saw him play in practice and he showed in practice why he wasn’t seeing the floor. He has some raw skills but he was going to struggle with the physicality and athleticism of the SEC. Very nice and respectful young man though.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I have zero expectations this year and it's going to be the best season in a long time. I can't wait.
Yes to that
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The potential of this team could be scary.

We now have a coach that could realize that potential.

It will take a while for all of the new faces to mesh, but I can't wait to see us play a coherent offense...it's been a long time coming.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I went on the Tide forum and asked about Alex. This was a response that I got.

He was always a project as he has only been playing basketball for a few years. I think the injury slowed his development down. He could turn into a decent player for you guys because he is very raw. He just isn’t a high major player. I saw him play in practice and he showed in practice why he wasn’t seeing the floor. He has some raw skills but he was going to struggle with the physicality and athleticism of the SEC. Very nice and respectful young man though.
A four star project????
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

DOUBT = NONE !

BUCKLE
UP
!
!
!
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

This isn't 90s basketball. Nowadays, landing forwards that can hit the 3 and handle the ball is very important. He reminds me of Siakam. Before people freak out and say something like, how can you compare him to Siakam? He's not remotely close to his talent or skill level right now. I'm simply giving a comparison.

We saw what it was like having two bigs post up and have no range the last two seasons with the Twins. We landed Bilau, Foumena, and KC. They look like more traditional centers. Tchikou and Rory are more of those stretch 4s. I love what Archie is doing with this roster, and having NBA scouts sniffing around the Ryan Center would be great for our program.
I'll have to check my calendar. Could've sworn it's the 90's. Maybe a page is stuck. Anyway...

At 6'11", he's a "5" not a forward at the college level. I didn't say anything about having two bigs but at 6'11", he better be able to post up and rebound. Landing 6'11" kids is rare but finding kids like Bacot, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Koloko, etc. makes teams great because they're willing to get dirty and are tough, both physically and mentally.

What's great for the program is winning at the Ryan Center, not NBA scouts.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good analysis, PMM. Yes, videos are cherry picked - and your observations are more of a deep dive than my initial view - but we are talking about young developing players and it’s given shooting form and other skill sets aren’t going to be perfect all the time - even in cherry picked video cuts. Also, rarely will a well coached defender or a defense permit an offensive player a clean look so shooting multiple ways and under duress isn’t necessarily a negative sign - unless it is due to lack of creating space due to lack of athleticism - which could very well be detrimental in today’s more spread out style of play. That said, time will ultimately be the judge in a few years, as you indicated above quite correctly.

However, you do make good points that lead to more good KB discussion. I will leave this post with my default setting as to positive or negative recruit analysis (which I don’t say much because it stunts discussion): Regardless of what I or others see, I trust Archie’s player evaluation methods and player development skill more.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

My heart says yes. My head says, not yet. I need to see more as in practice cuts or educated analysis of , an exhibition game or two.

It’s quite the internal battle. Stay clear. I don’t want to see collateral damage.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I'll have to check my calendar. Could've sworn it's the 90's. Maybe a page is stuck. Anyway...

At 6'11", he's a "5" not a forward at the college level. I didn't say anything about having two bigs but at 6'11", he better be able to post up and rebound. Landing 6'11" kids is rare but finding kids like Bacot, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, Koloko, etc. makes teams great because they're willing to get dirty and are tough, both physically and mentally.

I would like to have both. Why not? I’m selfish when it comes to Rhody mbb.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I went on the Tide forum and asked about Alex. This was a response that I got.

A four star project????
Yea his high school highlights show different. He looks solid.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m just waiting until he throws down a few dunks in warm ups and people here declare him All A10 caliber like they did with Mike Layssard.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Surprised he could take his eyes off his cousin long enough to even know who this kid is.

Bammers don't know anything about basketball.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, you can be a 4 star and still be a project. If you're 6'11" and athletic you will be highly rated. The 'project' part of it is developing the basketball part of it to catch up with the athleticism. If the basketball skills were already there, he would have been a 5 star.That's where the staff and the player development position (who is it Iggy?) come in. I don't think he developed at Alabama because the achilles injury set him back. Now that he declares himself 1000% healthy, that process can now be accelerated.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

A kid can be tough and have a perimeter game as well. We don't need every 6'11 kid to come in and be a Cyril and ARD. I love the idea of having players like Cyril AND offensive forwards that can stretch the floor. He's not going to be a 5 for this team on the offensive end.. But, that doesn't mean he can't get stronger, tougher, rebound, and defend. Look at KI and Hass. KI was not a traditional center at all, but he was fantastic next to Hass.

I read this about him, which I would be more than happy with.
"Potential multi-position defender. Might struggle on bigger centers, but getting into the gym with Coach Snowden will be huge. Elite shot blocker, uses length and quickness well. Solid rebounder, good interior presence. Strong team-defender, very vocal and active."

Yes, we all know winning is the top priority for the program and our fanbase. When this team is on the national stage and one of the conference's best programs, it usually means we have some pro prospects. That's a good thing.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ha, good recon - thanks!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

I guess it depends on the definition of good in this case. To me being good means making the tournament, thats the ultimate goal. There are so many unknowns it's really tough to say, with guys coming off injuries and some having not played in a game in a couple years, I can't make that leap for this year just yet.

At this point I am just excited to be excited about URI basketball again. To plan my days around making sure I don't miss a game again. To be pacing in front of the TV because I can't sit down during a game again. To feel like no matter what we at least have a chance to win every game again. To know that the entire program is finally in good hands again. We'll get there eventually, it's just a matter of when.
We have to see how we come together as a team that takes a lot of time , our individuals can be really good but if they don’t play together it won’t mean anything , I think Archie will mold these guys to his style
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

A kid can be tough and have a perimeter game as well. We don't need every 6'11 kid to come in and be a Cyril and ARD. I love the idea of having players like Cyril AND offensive forwards that can stretch the floor. He's not going to be a 5 for this team on the offensive end.. But, that doesn't mean he can't get stronger, tougher, rebound, and defend. Look at KI and Hass. KI was not a traditional center at all, but he was fantastic next to Hass.

"Potential multi-position defender. Might struggle on bigger centers, but getting into the gym with Coach Snowden will be huge. Elite shot blocker, uses length and quickness well. Solid rebounder, good interior presence. Strong team-defender, very vocal and active."

Yes, we all know winning is the top priority for the program and our fanbase. When this team is on the national stage and one of the conference's best programs, it usually means we have some pro prospects. That's a good thing.
Agree. A big can be perimeter oriented and be tough...although off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time of thinking of any on the college level. (Screw Bill Laimbeer!) Emoni Bates was beyond soft this past year. My post related to the video which showed very little of anything inside the paint, on the glass, and 1-on-1 defense. I didn't see many gritty plays. I saw a lot of fadeaway 3-pointers and dunks. I think I saw a single rebound, maybe a single assist. So who knows how this kid will turn out? He might be on the All-Airport team.

By the way, you're stating something that's 100% complete conjecture by you as fact: "He's not going to be a 5 for this team on the offensive end." Unless you've been told that personally by Archie, I'm not sure how you, me, or anyone can make that statement. That is your opinion...not a fact.

We can make some predictions regarding personnel but not that. (I will state as fact that Sebastian Thomas will not play the stretch 4.)

And I couldn't care how many NBA scouts are in the gym. Just win. Illinois just won the Big Ten regular season this past year with 0 NBA draft picks. (St. Peters crawling with NBA guys?)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Agree. A big can be perimeter oriented and be tough...although off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time of thinking of any on the college level. (Screw Bill Laimbeer!) Emoni Bates was beyond soft this past year. My post related to the video which showed very little of anything inside the paint, on the glass, and 1-on-1 defense. I didn't see many gritty plays. I saw a lot of fadeaway 3-pointers and dunks. I think I saw a single rebound, maybe a single assist. So who knows how this kid will turn out? He might be on the All-Airport team.

By the way, you're stating something that's 100% complete conjecture by you as fact: "He's not going to be a 5 for this team on the offensive end." Unless you've been told that personally by Archie, I'm not sure how you, me, or anyone can make that statement. That is your opinion...not a fact.

We can make some predictions regarding personnel but not that. (I will state as fact that Sebastian Thomas will not play the stretch 4.)

And I couldn't care how many NBA scouts are in the gym. Just win. Illinois just won the Big Ten regular season this past year with 0 NBA draft picks. (St. Peters crawling with NBA guys?)

Ugh, I know it's not a fact. Could he play the 5? Yes. Magic Johnson played the 5. Stan played the 4. I played the 5 once, and I'm 5'9. My point is I don't think he's a traditional back-to-the-basket big. That's all. I view him more as a stretch 4.

We disagree about scouting.. You don't care, and that's fine. However, I think former players going pro helps with recruiting. Anything that can help this team succeed, I want.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Listed as a Forward on Alabama Roster

7DC5235B-0B40-4D17-9991-5794E00EB798.png
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I got a second season ticket. Does that answer your question? (And I did it right after Archie was hired.) :D
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey Guys. I have Alex’s head coach from Dream City this Thursday evening on YouTube live.

Here’s the link to subscribe if you would like so you can see it live. https://youtube.com/channel/UCExqK85Jy31svKkDIii1Z6A

Any questions?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Hey Guys. I have Alex’s head coach from Dream City this Thursday evening on YouTube live.

Here’s the link to subscribe if you would like so you can see it live. https://youtube.com/channel/UCExqK85Jy31svKkDIii1Z6A

Any questions?
1. How is his health now headed into his 1st season at URI?
2. When will he be on campus and participating in team summer practices?
3. Why did he choose URI?
4. How did the coaches and URI players impact his decision on URI?
5. What does he feel his strengths are?
6. What does he feel his opportunities for improvement are?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Status of back to the basket post play skilz
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another response to my question on the Tide forum.

That's a very fair assessment of him honestly. He has the potential and upside that could land him in the NBA. When he was being recruited out of high school he was pegged as a Kevin Durant type player. I think he was on track to be a top 10 player nationally but reclassified like Primo to graduate early. if he can commit physically and mentally to what it takes to be successful and also commit to what your coach is doing in Rhode Island, there's a good chance you all will be pleasantly surprised. Just know it may take him some time to get to that level since he is still raw as BamaMike pointed out.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Listed as a Forward on Alabama Roster

Irrelevant. Players are assigned positions by coaches as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 now. (The labeling of guard, forward, center is simply for media guides and fans. You don't hear the PA announcer says "starting at the stretch 4...")

For example, Stan Robinson often played the 4. However, he was not a power forward. Roland Fiore played the "4" and at 6'4" was a power forward.

I don't think Archie brought this Alex kid in to play the 2 or the 3. At 6'11", he better not be allergic to the glass, physical big men, and the low block.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Irrelevant. Players are assigned positions by coaches as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 now. (The labeling of guard, forward, center is simply for media guides and fans. You don't hear the PA announcer says "starting at the stretch 4...")

For example, Stan Robinson often played the 4. However, he was not a power forward. Roland Fiore played the "4" and at 6'4" was a power forward.

I don't think Archie brought this Alex kid in to play the 2 or the 3. At 6'11", he better not be allergic to the glass, physical big men, and the low block.
I mean, when you say he's a 5 because he's 6'11 I think it's relevant that Ramster pointed out that he's listed as a forward on his team page.

No one is saying players can't play out of position. They can. Stan Robinson is not a 4, but he played it because we went small. Look at how are roster was listed last year. Twins are listed as Centers. Walker is a forward... Walker can play the 5, but he's a forward.

I don't think anyone thinks Archie brought this kid in to be a 2 guard.. I think Archie brought him in because he is a versatile player who can likely play and defend multiple positions. We all want him to rebound but it seems as if you want to stick this kid in the low post just because he's 6'11. From everything I've read, he can play inside and out, and his NBA comparisons are Siakam and Durant. I don't think he will be this traditional center that you want him to be, but we shall see.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Guard Forward is a general term. At 6'11 hes a center (5) in my eyes and will be the tallest on the floor for the majority of our games, unless he plays with Jeremy, then well have two 6'11s lol wow. Basketball is still very much a position sport. Look at the Celtics for example. In order per height/size.
1. Smart
2. Brown
3. Tatum
4. Horford
5. Williams
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If he proves he can play on the perimeter at this level I can easily see him playing the 4 with Samb, Bilau, or Fouema at the 5.

I mean his entire highlight reel was pretty much him on the perimeter. All I know is he's talented af
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Alex Tchikou , (Alabama >>>URI)

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

I think he technically could only have 3 years of eligibility based on this tweet but who knows
4 years. Gets an additional year for Covid 20-21. In 21-22 only played in 3 games, should get a med RS.
I think he has four years to play three. Unless it was an injury that ended his season after 3 games last year. But,that doesn't sound like what happened. Then again, the NCAA doesn't exactly stay consistent with anything. You almost have to disregard the 19-20 year. The fact that he was injured then doesn't matter. He could have played 30 games. It's like he was a frosh last year and played 3 games.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Gonebarongone wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

I think he technically could only have 3 years of eligibility based on this tweet but who knows
4 years. Gets an additional year for Covid 20-21. In 21-22 only played in 3 games, should get a med RS.
I think he has four years to play three. Unless it was an injury that ended his season after 3 games last year. But,that doesn't sound like what happened. Then again, the NCAA doesn't exactly stay consistent with anything. You almost have to disregard the 19-20 year. The fact that he was injured then doesn't matter. He could have played 30 games. It's like he was a frosh last year and played 3 games.
No, he should get a waiver for last season.
He still was coming off a major injury and only played 3 games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But the weird thing was that the three games he played were in November then he didn't play a single minute for the rest of the season. Was Oats purposely keeping him out of game in hopes of getting a waiver?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

But the weird thing was that the three games he played were in November then he didn't play a single minute for the rest of the season. Was Oats purposely keeping him out of game in hopes of getting a waiver?
Could be, maybe he felt he just wasn't ready yet.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Even if he thinks he's not ready, he won't throw him into a blowout game with a minute left?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Even if he thinks he's not ready, he won't throw him into a blowout game with a minute left?
I think had he not entered the portal, Oats probably was planning on submitting a waiver for him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I mean, when you say he's a 5 because he's 6'11 I think it's relevant that Ramster pointed out that he's listed as a forward on his team page.

No one is saying players can't play out of position. They can. Stan Robinson is not a 4, but he played it because we went small. Look at how are roster was listed last year. Twins are listed as Centers. Walker is a forward... Walker can play the 5, but he's a forward.

I don't think anyone thinks Archie brought this kid in to be a 2 guard.. I think Archie brought him in because he is a versatile player who can likely play and defend multiple positions. We all want him to rebound but it seems as if you want to stick this kid in the low post just because he's 6'11. From everything I've read, he can play inside and out, and his NBA comparisons are Siakam and Durant. I don't think he will be this traditional center that you want him to be, but we shall see.
So PMMM, when URI updated the roster sounds like you are saying Archie will list him C - Center. Will be interesting to see the designation.

That would give URI 2 “designated” Centers on the Roster

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... ath=mbball
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

FWIW, I think plenty of teams now post rosters with nobody listed as a center. I don't really think it matters. I'd also note that he's on record as being healthy his second year, so I don't think he would be pursuing a medical redshirt. He's 20 right now and will turn 21 in February 2023. Plenty of players don't want to be playing college basketball until they're 24. If he's as productive as we want him to be, he's going to be a viable pro before then.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Here, it started with Odom. He was the tallest player on the team but he wanted to take over Josh King's position on the wing.

I suppose, when you are that level talent, and you have a Luther Clay and a ARD willing to be your shields and take all of the abuse down low, you can do things like that. I think people also underestimated the sheer amount of rebounding Josh King provided that Elite 8 team as well. He was a lot like Tyrese Martin and just had a nose for the ball, at least in the post season. Every highlight picture of him in the NCAA tournament was Josh grabbing a rebound in a pile of people.

Everyone wants to play away from the ball these days. I think if Alex wants to make "The League" he better get comfortable with the idea of elbow shots to the face and bloody noses, because if you can't mix it up and take physical contact at the A-10 level, it's only going to be 10x worse at the NBA level.
0 x