22’ New Zealand F KC Nwafor (URI Verbal Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Re: 22’ New Zealand F KC Nwafor (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Spoke to Michael Houben. He sent me this message…

“Im going to jump on a Rhody pod over the weekend, so ill link you to that when it comes out, will have more depth to it, but short story is he's a massive sleeper prospect over here. I know he's 6'7 but I'd expect him to play some 5.. super long arms and massive frame.”
Another Cyril? I’ll take it.
The only similarity to Cyril that I see is his build. From the videos, KC appears way more athletic and and with way more skills. If he possesses Cyril's "Ever Ready" motor, I think KC will be very good.
I was not seeing any insane athleticism in the video. Hopefully the wingspan is legit as I question his reported height. I'm glad we got him though.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago

Another Cyril? I’ll take it.
The only similarity to Cyril that I see is his build. From the videos, KC appears way more athletic and and with way more skills. If he possesses Cyril's "Ever Ready" motor, I think KC will be very good.
I was not seeing any insane athleticism in the video. Hopefully the wingspan is legit as I question his reported height. I'm glad we got him though.
I watched a couple of games of his this weekend and he's not a freak athlete but he's very strong and his length is a problem. He was blocking some shots out of nowhere. He does have a great standing vertical though. When he gets the ball in the post he dunks it with ease. Of all the bigs I think Bilau is the one that can jump through the roof. Also, don't forget about Samb. He can get up.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would prefer he enroll this season and redshirt rather than reclassify. We would have to retain his oral commitment and if he starts getting P5 attention we could lose him if his potential is as they say.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Gotta be our biggest recruit from down under since Marial Mading amirite?!?

/s
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Gotta be our biggest recruit from down under since Marial Mading amirite?!?

/s
Rhode Island legend Marial Mading
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 1 year ago Gotta be our biggest recruit from down under since Marial Mading amirite?!?

/s
He was the pits. He kept getting offers from schools for some reason and everyone said he must be awesome because these guys are the experts. In the end he ended up at a smaller school and was a complete bust
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Hey everyone. I have Stevie Cozens a New Zealander Podcaster who broke the story on URI landing KC.

Do you have any questions for Stevie?
How does he feel he will do at the Atlantic 10 level of competition and how long does he think it will take him to be a rotational player ??

Also are there any pros who you compare him too ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago

/s
He was the pits. He kept getting offers from schools for some reason and everyone said he must be awesome because these guys are the experts. In the end he ended up at a smaller school and was a complete bust
Regardless of what experts rate players it is the Head Coach and staff who watch the player in game competition, watch him in AAU summer competition, work him out on his visit. Nobody to blame but the URI staff.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Hey everyone. I have Stevie Cozens a New Zealander Podcaster who broke the story on URI landing KC.

1. What other schools were actively recruiting KC?
2. Why URI?
3. How long has he been considering playing in the US?
4. What is the likelihood that he will be enrolled at URI this year and playing in December 2022? What has the URI staff indicated?
5. Has he visited URI on site?
6. How long has he been hearing from URI?
7. Most memorable moment to date in his basketball career?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

2. Why URI?
4. What is the likelihood that he will be enrolled at URI this year and playing in December 2022? What has the URI staff indicated?
Does he feel KC will enroll 2nd semester in January, or wait until fall of 2023?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

2. Why URI?
Does he feel KC will enroll 2nd semester in January, or wait until fall of 2023?
And what are the pros and cons to entering in January 2023? What does he want to do and what does URI Coaching staff want him to do regarding a January 2023 enrollment?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Regarding whether KC would come to URI early in December 2022, would he be coming to play 2nd semester this year? Or would he be only on campus early for school? In other words, will KC be taking up a scholarship for the 2022-2023 season?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Regarding whether KC would come to URI early in December 2022, would he be coming to play 2nd semester this year? Or would he be only on campus early for school? In other words, will KC be taking up a scholarship for the 2022-2023 season?
If he enrolls in Jan 2023, he will be on scholarship.

I doubt very much he pays his own way, that doesn't make any sense to me.

He probably wouldn't play, but RS and still be a part of the team and roster.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Regarding whether KC would come to URI early in December 2022, would he be coming to play 2nd semester this year? Or would he be only on campus early for school? In other words, will KC be taking up a scholarship for the 2022-2023 season?

So in other words our roster at the current time is full, right? Assuming you count KC.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So in other words our roster at the current time is full, right? Assuming you count KC.
He's not enrolled, so no. A verbal commitment does not take a roster spot.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

He's not enrolled, so no. A verbal commitment does not take a roster spot.
But if he comes in December he will take a roster spot for 2022-2023 season. That decision is tba so if we add another player then someone has to go OR KC doesn’t play next year.

No worries here as there will be openings by Nov 1 and certainly by Jan 1. Nature of the business now.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Coaches love to get young players in a semester early. I think he'll be on campus for 2nd semester. He's taking the 13th roster spot. No loss. Potential big gain.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches love to get young players in a semester early. I think he'll be on campus for 2nd semester. He's taking the 13th roster spot. No loss. Potential big gain.
I wonder how many mid-year transfers there will be this year and if there will be any that interest Archie. That could also be a 13th roster spot.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Coaches love to get young players in a semester early. I think he'll be on campus for 2nd semester. He's taking the 13th roster spot. No loss. Potential big gain.
I think he will be on campus next December.
Like his potential.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I know it's a stay-tuned situation, I just have a feeling this dude won't play here...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Sounds like a bit of a project with some upside. Fingers crossed he can contribute in a couple years.
Who knows. Michael Houben knows international players very well and he said it’s a big time get. I remember he helped me win my fantasy basketball by saying Josh Giddey was a steal. He knows the game well so I definitely value his opinion.
Yep, Houben said he has long term upside, which is the same thing I said.
And with the movement in college hoops these days...not sure how frequently we're going to see players sitting "with upside" long term, and displaying that upside with their first team. I don't believe it works that way anymore.... I will be surprised if he plays here...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Who knows. Michael Houben knows international players very well and he said it’s a big time get. I remember he helped me win my fantasy basketball by saying Josh Giddey was a steal. He knows the game well so I definitely value his opinion.
And with the movement in college hoops these days...not sure how frequently we're going to see players sitting "with upside" long term, and displaying that upside with their first team. I don't believe it works that way anymore.... I will be surprised if he plays here...
If he doesn’t show by December 2022 then my guess is he never shows. Waiting until 2023 season makes odds of him ever being in Kingston NIL ( get it? )

College Basketball has changed in big ways and very quickly.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Legit doubts, NYG. I have similar doubts, too. It’s a different game and mind set from when I grew up in the sport. But, that’s to be expected with each successive generation.

What gives me hope however, is Archie’s selective approach in signing recruits and emphasis on attitude. I think he is targeting players that want to belong to and win at a program. That doesn’t mean there won’t be defections now and then because these are mostly teenagers and very young men. They aren’t a finished work, may not buy in fully and/or be tempted by greener pastures - as in bigger NIL dollars.

I prefer watching players come here and grow together and get to know them a bit from a distance. So, I really do hope it works. We will see over the next 12 months plus if it does work. If not, then I am confident Archie will adjust accordingly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s not a generational change, not like these changes happened over a 20 year period:

Immediate eligibility when transferring
Immediate eligibility even when transferring within own conference
Waivers granted even if used up the free transfer
G-League including large expansions
NIL
1800 transfers per year - past two years. Prior to that was 350 to 400
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Legit doubts, NYG. I have similar doubts, too. It’s a different game and mind set from when I grew up in the sport. But, that’s to be expected with each successive generation.

What gives me hope however, is Archie’s selective approach in signing recruits and emphasis on attitude. I think he is targeting players that want to belong to and win at a program. That doesn’t mean there won’t be defections now and then because these are mostly teenagers and very young men. They aren’t a finished work, may not buy in fully and/or be tempted by greener pastures - as in bigger NIL dollars.

I prefer watching players come here and grow together and get to know them a bit from a distance. So, I really do hope it works. We will see over the next 12 months plus if it does work. If not, then I am confident Archie will adjust accordingly.
There is nothing so far that gives me any indication that KC wouldn't be attending URI, whether it is 2nd semester or next fall.

I expect him to sign during the early period in Nov.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It’s not a generational change, not like these changes happened over a 20 year period:

Immediate eligibility when transferring
Immediate eligibility even when transferring within own conference
Waivers granted even if used up the free transfer
G-League including large expansions
NIL
1800 transfers per year - past two years. Prior to that was 350 to 400
Agree Ramster.

I wasn’t speaking only specifically to the current changes but more in general to the game/sport over my time when I began playing in the 1960’s and to the evolution of society. I didn’t make that clear in my post.

Don’t mean to take the thread off course. Back to KC.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

There is nothing so far that gives me any indication that KC wouldn't be attending URI, whether it is 2nd semester or next fall.

I expect him to sign during the early period in Nov.
With me, Jersey, my doubts aren’t from anything KC has said or done. They come from potential temptation by and from unscrupulous programs and NIL opportunities. So, I don’t 100% expect anything until a player signs because recruiting can be dirty and some programs cheat.

That does not mean I do not celebrate or get excited when a player commits verbally. I’m happy when they verbal, I’m happier when they are signed.

Perhaps doubt is too strong a word. It gives the perception that I think he is not coming. I don’t think that. Perhaps I should say I have hesitation until he is signed. Then, I will breathe easier.

Anyway, I think we are off base and missing the other point. NYG, in his comment above, also referenced players with upside having the patience to remain at their first school if they do not get playing time (paraphrasing). That part of his post is what I was originally, primarily addressing and agree with versus KC not coming to Rhody. I wasn’t clear in explaining that in my response to NYG’s post.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm just thrilled that we're casting such a wider net. Not only are we getting quality recruits but we're attracting players from other countries, a strategy that has served Davidson very well over the years.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago I'm just thrilled that we're casting such a wider net. Not only are we getting quality recruits but we're attracting players from other countries, a strategy that has served Davidson very well over the years.
Duane Woodward has a lot of international contacts.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Plenty of good, hungry foreign players out there. Find them where they are. We have had success with foreign players in the past and I am looking forward to more in the coming seasons. Great work by Archie and staff.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would say we've had moderate success
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Scott any updates on this?
Are you still planning on talking to Stevie Cozens?

Any further developments on his commitment?

Does he still plan on signing in Nov. and enrolling the following fall of '23?
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks. Stevie I guess has been busy. If you tweet him and tell him we would like to see him on the podcast that may get him back in the game. I have reminded him and he says yes. I really want to hear his take. I know he is super busy but needs a nudge.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Last signing day of this early period and no word.
Guess it isn't happening with him.
We seem to have plenty of young depth upfront already for next season.
Currently not a big need for a raw big.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Too bad, I want any kid that Archie wants. But I agree - Samb/Tchikou look very good/promising. Plus we have Foumena. Rory does a lot of things right as well. If they all stay healthy that's a great base for the next 2-3 years.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Too bad, I want any kid that Archie wants. But I agree - Samb/Tchikou look very good/promising. Plus we have Foumena. Rory does a lot of things right as well. If they all stay healthy that's a great base for the next 2-3 years.
Don't forget Bilau.
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

My only question - Do international prospects have to sign the conventional letters of intent? It's kind of hard to tell if he's re-opened his recruitment or something like that. He doesn't seem to have a social media presence, outside of a private FB page, and his team has a FB page as well.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Don't forget Bilau.
Oh yeah. Lol I keep forgetting about him. Which is odd because he’s supposedly our most ready big once healthy.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago My only question - Do international prospects have to sign the conventional letters of intent? It's kind of hard to tell if he's re-opened his recruitment or something like that. He doesn't seem to have a social media presence, outside of a private FB page, and his team has a FB page as well.
He's on Instagram but rarely posts... his handle is cypriann11
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Any work on KC’s status?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Any work on KC’s status?
Nothing, never signed in Nov.

Probably parted ways, especially since Archie offered 2 Juco bigs.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When do Jucos sign?
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

When do Jucos sign?
Spring signing period: 4/12/23 - 5/17/23.
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Who are the 2 JUCOs? is there a thread on them?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RAMFAN wrote: 1 year ago

Who are the 2 JUCOs? is there a thread on them?
The only KB info on them is in the 22-23 General Recruiting thread so far. Check out the last page.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Where the hell is this kid? According to Bill Koch, the plan was for him to be here either 2nd semester or next year. I know he didn't sign with us, but he didn't sign with anybody else either. Has anybody asked Archie about him?
https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 993719002/ (Ignore the Anthony Harris stuff :lol: )
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Ohhhhh, Im suspecting another 20 page thread!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Where the hell is this kid? According to Bill Koch, the plan was for him to be here either 2nd semester or next year. I know he didn't sign with us, but he didn't sign with anybody else either. Has anybody asked Archie about him?
https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 993719002/ (Ignore the Anthony Harris stuff :lol: )
When players quietly slip off the radar, and nobody else is seemingly interested, I always assume its an academics issue. I also think that at this point, Miller might have a better grasp on the transfers he can get for Fall 2023, and they're past the "any warm body" for scholarship phase. (At least, I hope.)
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Where the hell is this kid? According to Bill Koch, the plan was for him to be here either 2nd semester or next year. I know he didn't sign with us, but he didn't sign with anybody else either. Has anybody asked Archie about him?
When players quietly slip off the radar, and nobody else is seemingly interested, I always assume its an academics issue. I also think that at this point, Miller might have a better grasp on the transfers he can get for Fall 2023, and they're past the "any warm body" for scholarship phase. (At least, I hope.)
Yeah it would make no sense to sign this guy

Lose Samb and Tchikou just to sign this guy?

That would be yikes
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah it would make no sense to sign this guy

Lose Samb and Tchikou just to sign this guy?

That would be yikes
I hope we soon, very soon, get to where losing those two...is not seen as 'losing'
0 x