‘19 OH PF Josaphat Bilau (Wichita St. > New Mexico JC > URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘19 OH PF Josaphat Bilau (Wichita St. > New Mexico JC > URI)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

https://www.jucoweekly.org/sports/mbkb/ ... 1201j3rfzp

6.) Josaphat Bilau - New Mexico JC

A Division one transfer from Wichita State, Bilau averaged 5.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, and blocked 22 shots in nine games. There isn't much Bilau can't do. Whether it's shooting three point field goals or blocking shots, Bilau can do it.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Again, contending for what and when, certainly not the A10 title in 22-23?

Are you even aware of our competition and their rosters for this upcoming season?

Our team has so many question marks this season, we won't even be in the discussion.

We all love the Archie hire and his staff, plus his philosophy on assembling this team for the long-term.
But please pump the breaks for 22-23.

We have a nice balance of size and potential.
But no proven star power.
We basically have a new roster which is very young, inexperienced, and they will need to develop as individual players along with team chemistry.

Our future may be bright, but it will take a little time.
To be fair - I think Bray Freeman is going to be one of the better guards in the A10 next year. Usually an all-rookie team honor is a pretty good projection in this conference of being an all-conference playing in the coming years. Jeff Dowtin, Jared Terrell, EC and Hassan - all appeared on the all-rookie team their freshman years.

I'm not expecting us to win a conference title, but I am expecting us to be competitive and have one of those years where we finish top 1/3, but have some close losses that could've gone the other way. I won't be disappointed no matter what our record is, but I think we're going to be better than people purposely lowering their expectations because they put their faith in Dave Cox and feel burned. Archie isn't Dave.

Weston has injury history but his talent is undeniable.

Despite how they were used the last 2 years - Ish and Carey I think will be very, very good. It was impossible to play in that hodgepodge system Dave Cox cobbled together with two giant immovable roadblocks taking up interior space. Ish and Carey are primarily slashers. Carey is a decent shooter, but they are at their best going to the basket. Archie runs a system that tries to score before a half-court sets up. I think those guys are going to THRIVE in that system.

Bilau is a perfect bench guy with 5 fouls and size, and a project with upside. It's clear Foumena is your big moving forward. And depending on how Arch wants the team to run - I could see him running Martin or another undersize G/F out there for spurts at the 5. He made an NCAA run with 6'6 Kendall Pollard at the 5.

I love this get. I trust Kenny, Archie, and their scouting abilities. I also trust their coaching abilities. Enjoy the ride.
Blueman, I am also extremely high on Bray and one of my favorite additions.

He is not yet an all-conference player but made the A10 freshmen team along with 3 other guards: Nunn, Smith, and Reynolds.
Time will tell, but I really like his upside.

This team certainly has a lot of potential for the future.

Yes we can be competitive and give some teams headaches this season, but the A10 is very strong and we will have a lot of growing pains this year.

You have us finishing top 1/3 or a top 5 A10 team.
I think that is extremely optimistic, I am not seeing it, but hope you are correct.
Just curious what teams you are putting us ahead of?
Dayton, St Louis, Davidson, VCU are the obvious top 4.

I think it will be between URI, UMass, and Loyola for the next spot. Which is where I see us going.

Bonnies/Richmond in the next tier and then a drop off for the rest.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

To be fair - I think Bray Freeman is going to be one of the better guards in the A10 next year. Usually an all-rookie team honor is a pretty good projection in this conference of being an all-conference playing in the coming years. Jeff Dowtin, Jared Terrell, EC and Hassan - all appeared on the all-rookie team their freshman years.

I'm not expecting us to win a conference title, but I am expecting us to be competitive and have one of those years where we finish top 1/3, but have some close losses that could've gone the other way. I won't be disappointed no matter what our record is, but I think we're going to be better than people purposely lowering their expectations because they put their faith in Dave Cox and feel burned. Archie isn't Dave.

Despite how they were used the last 2 years - Ish and Carey I think will be very, very good. It was impossible to play in that hodgepodge system Dave Cox cobbled together with two giant immovable roadblocks taking up interior space. Ish and Carey are primarily slashers. Carey is a decent shooter, but they are at their best going to the basket. Archie runs a system that tries to score before a half-court sets up. I think those guys are going to THRIVE in that system.

Bilau is a perfect bench guy with 5 fouls and size, and a project with upside. It's clear Foumena is your big moving forward. And depending on how Arch wants the team to run - I could see him running Martin or another undersize G/F out there for spurts at the 5. He made an NCAA run with 6'6 Kendall Pollard at the 5.

I love this get. I trust Kenny, Archie, and their scouting abilities. I also trust their coaching abilities. Enjoy the ride.

He is not yet an all-conference player but made the A10 freshmen team along with 3 other guards: Nunn, Smith, and Reynolds.

Yes we can be competitive and give some teams headaches this season, but the A10 is very strong and we will have a lot of growing pains this year.

I think that is extremely optimistic, I am not seeing it, but hope you are correct.

I think it will be between URI, UMass, and Loyola for the next spot. Which is where I see us going.

Tough to leave GM out of the top 5, they return 3 of their top 4 scorers plus Oduro arguably the best big in the A10.

Also Richmond with Burton probably returning and may be the best all-round player in the conference.
Plus a good supporting cast.

Loyola is picked by some as a bubble team.

UMass maybe slightly ahead of us because they return Fernandes and Weeks.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tough to leave GM out of the top 5, they return 3 of their top 4 scorers plus Oduro arguably the best big in the A10.

Also Richmond with Burton probably returning and may be the best all-round player in the conference.

So, that puts us around 9th, in your opinion?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm with BlueMan on this one. this team will be a lot better than the preseason prognosticators predict.

Let them predict 9th or 10th. We'll be 5th or 4th.

The talent level may be middle of the pack, or a little better than that, but unproven and injury plagued, but the coaching will be sublime.

No more stupid time outs, substitutions, the players will play smarter than any group we've had on the floor in a while. This will be a, what do the kids call it? ... visually satisfying team to watch.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago And part 2, I wonder what happens with N’Guessan now
So you're saying it's a
N'Guessan Game.

Or it's anybody's N'Guessan.

Or your N'Guessan is as good as mine.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The Loyola team that's losing 4/5 starters, scored 41 points in an NCAA game, finished 2nd in the MVC, and who's best win was against a bad Arizona State team? They're on the bubble next year? Lol.

Mason could break through, but they lose a ton of scoring and 2 starting guards. I still see us ahead of them.

I'm not a believer in Richmond or Chris Mooney. They've always been a streaky team, not a team that goes and wins a conference title outright.

So yes, I have URI 5-8th. Top half of the league. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, I'm just excited to have hope again.

Idk what it is about this board. But when Hurley was here - people were pessimistic until he made it to the dance. When Cox was here people were unnecessarily positive until he was fired. And now people are being purposely pessimistic again for a reason I can't fathom.

We went and hired the best coach available. He went and hired 2 of the best assistants available. No one is wet-behind-the-ears. There are resumes on our staff that speak for themselves.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Loyola team that's losing 4/5 starters, scored 41 points in an NCAA game, finished 2nd in the MVC, and who's best win was against a bad Arizona State team? They're on the bubble next year? Lol.

Mason could break through, but they lose a ton of scoring and 2 starting guards. I still see us ahead of them.

I'm not a believer in Richmond or Chris Mooney. They've always been a streaky team, not a team that goes and wins a conference title outright.

So yes, I have URI 5-8th. Top half of the league. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, I'm just excited to have hope again.

Idk what it is about this board. But when Hurley was here - people were pessimistic until he made it to the dance. When Cox was here people were unnecessarily positive until he was fired. And now people are being purposely pessimistic again for a reason I can't fathom.

We went and hired the best coach available. He went and hired 2 of the best assistants available. No one is wet-behind-the-ears. There are resumes on our staff that speak for themselves.
I was never pessimistic on Dan nor am I about Archie...long term the future is extremely bright.
I'm just realistic on our chances next season based on today's roster. It's not 1 extreme or the other. Middle of the league right now seems to be where we stand if the season started today. We still could add some talent though that may change the outlook.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Besides a few trolls, the majority here weren’t positive up until the day Cox got fired.

Most wanted him gone for a while.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think Davidson is a question mark for next year, They lost Brakovic and Mike Jones. They were clearly big pieces, but, we know McKillop is one of the best and will make them highly competitive.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

I think Davidson is a question mark for next year, They lost Brakovic and Mike Jones. They were clearly big pieces, but, we know McKillop is one of the best and will make them highly competitive.
The big scorer went pro too for Davidson. Lots of faces gone across the league. Hopefully Arch can swing this team back in the right direction.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes, Loyola a bubble team, according to Lunardi and Making the Madness. No idea how credible Making the Madness is, however.
7F9D79BF-8EE9-475F-9A7C-A103D5E0AE9F.jpeg
Attachments
2154E352-4ECB-4BF9-8151-C2EF020A5503.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Don’t sleep on George Mason. Iirc, they have 3 returning starters and have added some nice pieces.

Oops, posted without looking. Jersey beat me to GM.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I love the potential of the roster and have trust in Archie and staff to make Rhody good eventually. For me, it’s just too early to pinpoint on a timeline when good will be. But, for shits and giggles, as of today I’ll say 7th with us starting slow but getting better late in the season to leap over a few teams. Maybe even pull off a surprise or two in the conf tourney.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see us in the 5-8 range for sure , I think having Arch over Cox is good for a few wins right there . We will notice the improvement on coaching fairly soon I think when we start watching this team play
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I watched about 3 full games of New Mexico, and I love this kid. He's not going to make any impact on the offensive end but man this kid can defend. He may be our best defender next year

Some traits I loved while watching

1. He hustles! He dives for loose balls, If there was a 50-50 situation he usually won. He even drew a charge at one point. He has a desire to lock down any player. Some guys have that desire and some guys don't. This kid does.

2. He can defend multiple positions. When he would need to switch on to guards or a wing he stuck with them. If they did get a step on him his speed and length would still cause them fits. A handful of times his team would throw up a brick or turn it over and this kid would prevent an easy fast break by himself.

3. His instinct is fantastic. Some players just have a knack for knowing when to go for a block, jump a passing lane, predict a ball-handler's move from his body language, or know when to lean on a player or when to give ground. I rarely saw him out of his defensive stance. He didn't try to make reckless steals or try to go with the home run play. He stays focused and hyper-vigilant

4. He's intimidating. Once he locked up a couple of guys or blocked their shots teams were afraid to drive on him.

5. He rarely fouls. Even if he was called for a foul it was typically very close. He sticks with his man and because his instinct is so good he rarely gets caught up in the air. He also does a great job in the pick and roll. He stands tall like a brick wall when he picks.

I uploaded a few videos of one of the games I watched. Keep in mind these are all from ONE game. I'm assuming you'll be able to see what I'm talking about with some of these clips.

Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Feels to me like some just looking for something to argue about. :D

Personally I don't think I see a whole lot of pessimism around here right now, maybe just varying degrees of optimism...
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I watched about 3 full games of New Mexico, and I love this kid. He's not going to make any impact on the offensive end but man this kid can defend. He may be our best defender next year

1. He hustles! He dives for loose balls, If there was a 50-50 situation he usually won. He even drew a charge at one point. He has a desire to lock down any player. Some guys have that desire and some guys don't. This kid does.

2. He can defend multiple positions. When he would need to switch on to guards or a wing he stuck with them. If they did get a step on him his speed and length would still cause them fits. A handful of times his team would throw up a brick or turn it over and this kid would prevent an easy fast break by himself.

3. His instinct is fantastic. Some players just have a knack for knowing when to go for a block, jump a passing lane, predict a ball-handler's move from his body language, or know when to lean on a player or when to give ground. I rarely saw him out of his defensive stance. He didn't try to make reckless steals or try to go with the home run play. He stays focused and hyper-vigilant

4. He's intimidating. Once he locked up a couple of guys or blocked their shots teams were afraid to drive on him.

5. He rarely fouls. Even if he was called for a foul it was typically very close. He sticks with his man and because his instinct is so good he rarely gets caught up in the air. He also does a great job in the pick and roll. He stands tall like a brick wall when he picks.

I uploaded a few videos of one of the games I watched. Keep in mind these are all from ONE game. I'm assuming you'll be able to see what I'm talking about with some of these clips.
That first block was a thing of beauty. Love how quickly he recovered after going up the first time and then coming back to still get the block on the next shot. Some big time hops there.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

BIG DAWG BOOM
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Nice work, Stevey. I didn't do as deep of a dive on his film, but I thought he looked good, with the caveat that the level of play didn't seem great. Example - I think he's going to have trouble getting his 3 off in Atlantic 10 play. Like, his game kind of reminded me of DeJuan Blair, who excelled at Pittsburgh and had a couple good years for the Spurs. Bilau obviously isn't as good as Blair, a legit NBA prospect, but they had a similar kind of style to me - lots of finishes on offensive rebounds, able to block shots without jumping in the air crazily, good athlete but maybe a bit floor-bound, etc. And, if you're URI, with 0 minutes returning at the 4 and 5, exactly the kind of player you take a chance on.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Nice work, Stevey. I didn't do as deep of a dive on his film, but I thought he looked good, with the caveat that the level of play didn't seem great. Example - I think he's going to have trouble getting his 3 off in Atlantic 10 play. Like, his game kind of reminded me of DeJuan Blair, who excelled at Pittsburgh and had a couple good years for the Spurs. Bilau obviously isn't as good as Blair, a legit NBA prospect, but they had a similar kind of style to me - lots of finishes on offensive rebounds, able to block shots without jumping in the air crazily, good athlete but maybe a bit floor-bound, etc. And, if you're URI, with 0 minutes returning at the 4 and 5, exactly the kind of player you take a chance on.
Yep, play defense, rebound, score a few putbacks on the offensive end, and let the guards work.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

So, that puts us around 9th, in your opinion?
Looking at the 22-23 A10 rosters, yeah I can see us finishing 8th or 9th.

Not being pessimistic because I like our staff and feel very good about our program going forward.

I don't look at this as a bad thing, it will just take a little time with our current group.

And thanks Stevey for sharing your input and videos on Bilau.
I really like how Archie is putting together this roster.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Feels to me like some just looking for something to argue about. :D

Personally I don't think I see a whole lot of pessimism around here right now, maybe just varying degrees of optimism...
This absolutely this.

Entertaining tho thx!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I watched about 3 full games of New Mexico, and I love this kid. He's not going to make any impact on the offensive end but man this kid can defend. He may be our best defender next year

Thanks, SteveyS, excellent assessment and I look forward to checking out the videos.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again because I am very guilty of doing it: I will overemphasize the offensive aspects of the game and overlook the defensive aspects. It’s like a mental default setting for me.

Anyway, I think our defense will be ahead of our offense the first half of next season. I think our defense will be frustrating to play against, excluding some lapses early on due to lack of experience, playing a new system, etc.

I base this on coaching ability, the belief I have that defense is more controllable, reliable and consistent than offense and improved effort.

In conclusion, I fully expect we will be much better prepared and better at defensive execution on the defensive end going into games next season.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Archie Miller 2 months ago: "we'll be good when we're good."
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Josaphat Bilau
F | R-So.
6-10 | 235
La Roche-sur-Yon, France | Wichita State/New Mexico JC
Despite spending one season each at Wichita State and New Mexico Junior College, Bilau arrives with three seasons of eligibility remaining. The France native averaged 4.6 points and 5.7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 14 minutes per game this season at New Mexico JC, helping the team reach the Region 5 semifinals. Bilau also showed an adept passing touch, with 30 assists in 26 games.

Archie Miller on Josaphat Bilau
"Josaphat is a guy who is a little more school and well-versed in terms of experience because of his time at Wichita State and the junior college ranks. He brings great size to our front line, but he's also unique in that we believe he'll be able to play with other front court players and without."
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

New favorite Rhody player based on name alone. It’s nice to see that the team’s social media efforts are already improved.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 1 year ago New favorite Rhody player based on name alone. It’s nice to see that the team’s social media efforts are already improved.
And they're calling him 'Big Jo'.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago New favorite Rhody player based on name alone. It’s nice to see that the team’s social media efforts are already improved.
And they're calling him 'Big Jo'.
They could call him Phats..
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Just saw an IG of Josaphat in a shoulder harness/sling. Looks like one that is used for a rotator cuff surgery! Lets hope that isn't the case....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Guessing we won't see him next year. 13th man.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Who’s Insta was it?
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Instagram.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope he didn't hurt it during weight training. That exercise throwing the medicine ball (or whatever it's called) backwards over their heads looks a little crazy to me.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Who’s Insta was it?
Jalen Careys Instagram story but expired from yesterday
0 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Three weeks he is out
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bwerner10 wrote: 1 year ago Three weeks he is out
What's the injury?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hearing it’s a labrum injury
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Plenty of time to recover no?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Plenty of time to recover no?
Google says 6-8 week recovery period.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve seen 4-6 weeks.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If it’s a tear it could be 3-4 months.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I’m no orthopedic surgeon but I did stay at a holiday inn last night and googled it over their complementary WiFi.
10 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I mean even if he’s out 2 months that’s only mid September well before practice starts , I am not concerned @ all
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago If it’s a tear it could be 3-4 months.
You would think that if it is anything that serious it would have been reported by the local media, especially since some (including Rothstein) have him listed as a potential starter.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You would think that if it is anything that serious it would have been reported by the local media, especially since some (including Rothstein) have him listed as a potential starter.
Who besides Rothstein?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Who besides Rothstein?
KB posters. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Who besides Rothstein?
KB posters. ;)
Sorry but I must have missed that. Rothstein has been the only prediction that he would start that I’ve seen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Who besides Rothstein?
KB posters. ;)
Sorry but I must have missed that. Rothstein has been the only prediction that he would start that I’ve seen.
As was discussed earlier Foumena has the most upside, but they may start Bilau initially because of experience and a defensive presence, rim protector.

Regardless, getting back to the point, if the injury was significant, I would think someone from our local media would have reported it.
0 x