22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Too early??? Or can we start having some fun?
LETS GO RHODY!
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Too early. We don’t even have a full roster yet.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Miller said he will be recruiting into September for this years team.
Just grabbed a potential starter yesterday

In past years, I’d expect adds to the roster in May/June to be roster filler players for practice and possible upside potential.

This year with Miller and with the easy transfer rules the potential of landing starters in May/June is very possible.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Still need a Big
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You can probably list 1,2,3 spots but 4 & 5 are TBD.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 1 year ago Still need a Big
Thinking he might go juco for that one. Just a guess.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago You can probably list 1,2,3 spots but 4 & 5 are TBD.
IMO Malik is more of a 4 than a 3 in terms of build and skill set. And I’m guessing he’s a starter. So I think we are looking for a big and another wing scorer.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Thinking he might go juco for that one. Just a guess.
Maybe, but it would be nice to have at least 1 big with some Div.1 experience.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Agree it’s too early but I think Malik and Freeman are nailed on starters at this point and depending how the final few spots are filled I think it’s pretty likely that Leggett is a starter for game 1 as well.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Too early for serious predictions but never too early for some fun. Based on what we have now I predict,
Freeman, Carey, Leggett, Malik and Samb. Slight nod to the experienced guys for the opening night but could change by game 3 or 4 with Weston or Hutchinson sliding in over Carey.
1 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Too early for serious predictions but never too early for some fun. Based on what we have now I predict,
Freeman, Carey, Leggett, Malik and Samb. Slight nod to the experienced guys for the opening night but could change by game 3 or 4 with Weston or Hutchinson sliding in over Carey.
I don't think Weston came here to come off the bench. 6'6 guard gives us a lot of options - I'd imagine he's a starter in more of a wing/combo guard compared to Malik playing more of a forward role.

We'll play very small for sure. Not bad in todays game.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

G - Brayon Freeman
G - Ish Leggett
G - Brandon Weston
F - Malik Martin
F - Player not yet on roster.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago G - Brayon Freeman
G - Ish Leggett
G - Brandon Weston
F - Malik Martin
Exactly my thought.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Too early for serious predictions but never too early for some fun. Based on what we have now I predict,
I don't think Weston came here to come off the bench. 6'6 guard gives us a lot of options - I'd imagine he's a starter in more of a wing/combo guard compared to Malik playing more of a forward role.

Weston came here because of the relationship with Woodward.
He was listed at 6'5" (SH roster) and is a tweener CG/SF.

I don't think Archie guarantees anybody a starting role, must be earned.

I really like Weston's potential, but let's face it, he has hardly played since his junior year of HS.

Starting A10 is a big leap forward.
There is still some injury question marks regarding him, so let's wait and see how he is able to perform first.
Archie may indeed end up starting him, but that talk is a little premature right now.

Carey was a top 50, without injury issues, how does he fit in the equation right now?

Starting a small team usually only works if you have some proven knockdown shooters.
Not sure I can say that about us now.

Like I said several times, no big expectations this season.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I could see a scenario in which Carey is a starter for the non-conference portion while they ease Weston back in, but by conference play I think Weston will be starting.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

G - Ish Leggett
G - Brandon Weston
F - Malik Martin
Not crazy about it, we will struggle in A10 with that 5.

I like Bray

Ish took a step back last season, I like his aggressiveness, jury is out on him.

Weston has hardly played since his HS junior year, and has injury issues, wait and see on him.

I think Martin will be overpowered in the A10 at the 4.

Lots of huge question marks for this season.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

100% agree on this. They are very inexperienced and lack any depth that we can trust at this point. They need a veteran transfer big.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
G - Ish Leggett
G - Brandon Weston
F - Malik Martin

I like Bray

Ish took a step back last season, I like his aggressiveness, jury is out on him.

Weston has hardly played since his HS junior year, and has injury issues, wait and see on him.

No chance of Martin being the 4. This would make for a very weak roster. I know that next year isn’t the goal, but hopefully some experienced bigs will be the next transfers to URI
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
G - Ish Leggett
G - Brandon Weston
F - Malik Martin

I like Bray

No chance of Martin being the 4. This would make for a very weak roster. I know that next year isn’t the goal, but hopefully some experienced bigs will be the next transfers to URI
No idea how you came to this conclusion. Martin has played plenty of 4. This isn’t the NBA, a 6’6” forward at the 4 is very common. Not to mention a high motor/character veteran
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I like Bray

No idea how you came to this conclusion. Martin has played plenty of 4. This isn’t the NBA, a 6’6” forward at the 4 is very common. Not to mention a high motor/character veteran
Martin may be 6'6" on his tip-toes. Cox and the staff last year even joked about it and said he is closer to 6'4".
I love his motor/character, and experience but he will struggle if he plays the 4 all season.
In spurts it may work but not for the duration.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin may be 6'6" on his tip-toes. Cox and the staff last year even joked about it and said he is closer to 6'4".
I love his motor/character, and experience but he will struggle if he plays the 4 all season.
Actually on a Coaches Show with Steve Mac, David Cox said Malik was 6’ 2.5”. Cox said he likes to go by 6’6”. He certainly plays and rebounds taller that 6’ 2.5”
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Could see him in a TJ/6th man role. TJ was a leader off the bench too.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Actually on a Coaches Show with Steve Mac, David Cox said Malik was 6’ 2.5”. Cox said he likes to go by 6’6”. He certainly plays and rebounds taller that 6’ 2.5”
Yes Ramster, you are correct and I do remember that.
But he does play bigger than that.
Although consistently playing the 4 would take it's toll on him.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Could see him in a TJ/6th man role. TJ was a leader off the bench too.
Bluman, this team will need some veteran leadership.
Martin was becoming our best player by the end of last season.

Archie had mentioned how well Carey was practicing and shooting.

Initially I wouldn't be surprised to see Bray, Carey, and Martin all start.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago

Weston came here because of the relationship with Woodward.
He was listed at 6'5" (SH roster) and is a tweener CG/SF.

I don't think Archie guarantees anybody a starting role, must be earned.

I really like Weston's potential, but let's face it, he has hardly played since his junior year of HS.

Starting A10 is a big leap forward.
There is still some injury question marks regarding him, so let's wait and see how he is able to perform first.
Archie may indeed end up starting him, but that talk is a little premature right now.

Carey was a top 50, without injury issues, how does he fit in the equation right now?

Starting a small team usually only works if you have some proven knockdown shooters.
Not sure I can say that about us now.

Like I said several times, no big expectations this season.
Jersey, your post is too well thought out for fun time.

I am going with…Martin and 4 TBD’s.

Jersey’s fault. He made me do it. :D
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Classic shrinkage.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I think Martin gives Archie good flexibility in being able to play the 3 and 4. I think match up’s each game will govern Archie’s plan with Martin.

Good thread.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If David Nguessan comes would he be starter worthy? He played all 36 games for VaTech as a reserve.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I'll bite and also have some fun with this.

1-Braylon Freeman
2-Anthony Harris
3-Brandon Weston
4-David N' Guessan
5-Jeremy Foumena

But.....
Martin will probably start at the three with Brandon playing the two.
Ish and Carey will see lots of time.
Stewart, Samb, N'guessan and Foumena will be a four headed monster- just rotate them in.
Hutch will red-shirt.
Bassy ?? If we get Harris than he plays the back up point when Ish plays the two. No room for Bassy.
But if Iggy says Harris is most likely not coming I believe him.

If N'Guessan comes I agree with the person who said get the best available player. Hopefully Harris.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Weston says he's 6'6" in his Twitter replies, so maybe he'll play the 4. I kind of suspect that Archie is going to default to playing someone small at the 4 and 5, vs. the old Baron trick of giving a guy minutes just because he's close to 7-foot. If you're going to get killed on defense either way, might as well go with the player who might present a match-up issue on offense.

Samb is kind of the great unknown. Normally, I'd be more pessimistic about a guy going from logging 0 minutes to being a contributor, but he was legitimately blocked by three more talented players last year. (Like if Tres Berry was still on this roster, I wouldn't be bullish on him, given that he couldn't get minutes last year when URI was floundering for decent wing play.) I've got no clue if he'll start, but the fact that he hasn't transferred out suggests to me that Archie at least thinks he can log some minutes here and there. Hell, any coach can probably find some use for 6'8", 210 here and there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Weston says he's 6'6" in his Twitter replies, so maybe he'll play the 4. I kind of suspect that Archie is going to default to playing someone small at the 4 and 5, vs. the old Baron trick of giving a guy minutes just because he's close to 7-foot. If you're going to get killed on defense either way, might as well go with the player who might present a match-up issue on offense.

Samb is kind of the great unknown. Normally, I'd be more pessimistic about a guy going from logging 0 minutes to being a contributor, but he was legitimately blocked by three more talented players last year. (Like if Tres Berry was still on this roster, I wouldn't be bullish on him, given that he couldn't get minutes last year when URI was floundering for decent wing play.) I've got no clue if he'll start, but the fact that he hasn't transferred out suggests to me that Archie at least thinks he can log some minutes here and there. Hell, any coach can probably find some use for 6'8", 210 here and there.
Archie said that Samb has a much better outside shot than he expected. He redshirted last year to get stronger. He IS the unknown right now, at least for us.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Miller said he will be recruiting into September for this years team.

In past years, I’d expect adds to the roster in May/June to be roster filler players for practice and possible upside potential.

This year with Miller and with the easy transfer rules the potential of landing starters in May/June is very possible.
Totally agree...fun exercise, but also possible that the best player on next year's team isn't even on the team yet.
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

I would be shocked if we don't play the vast majority of our minutes with 4 guard/wings players. Unless we sign 2 more immediate high impact big men between now and the season.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I like Bray

So you feel good with Martin at the four? A small 4 that doesn’t have an outside shot? He is not a power forward even in todays college basketball. I like Martin and loved his brother, but to me he is more of a player with experience that is a role player. I kind of feel that way on almost all the players that are returning from last years team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Miller said he will be recruiting into September for this years team.

Totally agree...fun exercise, but also possible that the best player on next year's team isn't even on the team yet.
It’s even possible that the best 2 players on next years team are not on the team yet. It’s also possible a player or two could still depart this team. Dominoes.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Cox thought Makhi was 6’4” by how much he let him bring the ball up the court
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I’d be happy with Martin being at the 4 next year. I dont know why people think that wouldn’t be good. For example look some of the rest of the teams in the A-10 last year

1. Davidson - Sam Mennenga (6’9”)
2. Dayton - Toumani Camara (6’ 8”)
3. VCU - Vince Williams (6’6”)
4. St. Bona - Jalen Adaway (6’5”)
5. Saint Louis - Jordan Nesbitt (6’6”)
6. Richmond - Nathan Cayo (6’7”)
7. GW - Quadry Samuels (6’9”)

4/7 of the top teams used someone at the 6’7” or lower so I don’t get what the fuss is, we do need an impact big but I believe Malik will be fine at the 4
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago I’d be happy with Martin being at the 4 next year. I dont know why people think that wouldn’t be good. For example look some of the rest of the teams in the A-10 last year

4/7 of the top teams used someone at the 6’7” or lower so I don’t get what the fuss is, we do need an impact big but I believe Malik will be fine at the 4
Until Archie decides to do it, I am not a fan.

As I said, maybe in short spurts but not for the duration of the season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago I’d be happy with Martin being at the 4 next year. I dont know why people think that wouldn’t be good. For example look some of the rest of the teams in the A-10 last year

Wasn't it mentioned above he's 6'3"?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

6’ 2.5”
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

6’ 2.5”
He's not playing the 4.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You have to understand how the teams are constructed.

The Bonnies 4 guard lineup worked because they had a dominant big/rim protector in Osun.

VCU had a 4 big rotation of Ward/DeLoach/Levi/Brown-Jones

SLU had a dominant big in Okoro and Linssen was part of the rotation.

Richmond also had Golden/Burton/and Cayo upfront, A very good frontcourt with some size and talent.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

All the players mentioned will get minutes. How well they perform will determine the minutes they get. I'm surprised Rory isn't getting more Rhody love. I know Bassey will work his a$$ off in practice.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Assuming they get N' Guessan...

1-Braylon Freeman
2-Jalen Carey
3-Malik Martin
4-Rory Stewart
5-David N' Guessan

Bench

6-Brandon Weston
7-Ishmael Leggett
8-Abdou Samb
9-Jeremy Foumena
10-Sebastian Thomas
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How many of those listed heights are accurate?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago All the players mentioned will get minutes. How well they perform will determine the minutes they get. I'm surprised Rory isn't getting more Rhody love. I know Bassey will work his a$$ off in practice.
Check his thread. I've talked about how much I like Rory's game and added some videos.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I do like Carey as the 6th man....though I also liked Cuttino Mobley as 6th man too so what do I know.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1. Bray
2-5. ?

or based on who we have and what we know

1. Bray
2. Carey/Ish
3. Martin
4. Samb
5. Foumena
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

As of right now, you have to play your best players. Similar to when Dan started Stan at the 4. Malik is a seasoned vet. Great defender who will battle with guys bigger than he is. He can play the 4 if need be. It's not ideal but until we land a forward that's ready this is how I see it.

1. Bray
2. Ish
3. Weston
4. Malik
5. Foumena

6th- Carey
7th- Thomas
8th- Samb

9th- Rory
10th- Hutch
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING