'23 VA SG - Connor Dubsky (URI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: '23 VA SG - Connor Dubsky (URI Commit)

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting the video, LU. Always good to see game video on a signee or a player we are recruiting, even if it’s edited.

Connor does have good height off the floor on his jump shot. Nice release, too. I am looking forward to him getting here and immersed in the program. Go Rhody!

I am glad you are excited. Hope springs eternal. Enjoy the ride.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dubs videos are great to watch , I think his game will translate well for us
0 x
LDUB_14
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by LDUB_14 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I don’t want to get too excited by highlights - but his shot just looks different than other guys we have brought in recent years. Very nice height, good arc, plays at a high speed, he shows some step back range on a few clips. I am hopeful those baseline skills will translate.
You'd have to be blind not to see this kid has a beautiful shot, but certain people on here refuse to say anything positive about incoming recruits. I do worry about his lack of speed and strength at the next level. If he was a great athlete, he likely goes to a top program with how he shoots the ball. I think Cam will be more ready freshman year but I'm hoping Connor can make an impact with his ability to hit the 3. Something this team desperately needs.
Connor also had offers to Maryland, Wichita State, Kansas State. Florida State Coach had also told Connor he would have offered if Connor had not committed to URI.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

LDUB_14 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I don’t want to get too excited by highlights - but his shot just looks different than other guys we have brought in recent years. Very nice height, good arc, plays at a high speed, he shows some step back range on a few clips. I am hopeful those baseline skills will translate.
You'd have to be blind not to see this kid has a beautiful shot, but certain people on here refuse to say anything positive about incoming recruits. I do worry about his lack of speed and strength at the next level. If he was a great athlete, he likely goes to a top program with how he shoots the ball. I think Cam will be more ready freshman year but I'm hoping Connor can make an impact with his ability to hit the 3. Something this team desperately needs.
Connor also had offers to Maryland, Wichita State, Kansas State. Florida State Coach had also told Connor he would have offered if Connor had not committed to URI.
I’ve tried to tell people this a handful of times but they still assume the worse when it comes to recruits. I personally think this is a much better indication of what type of player we are getting. If strong programs are going after a recruit that’s typically a great sign. I’m very excited to see Connor and Cam next season. I think both players will end up making an impact.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I agree . I think many on the board have been let down recently by incoming players having been over hyped and they worry that it might be happening again . These two incoming freshmen look pretty good to me . Ish is turning out to be a good player and they look to be better shooters , so I'm all
in on both.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

luke wrote: 1 year ago I agree . I think many on the board have been let down recently by incoming players having been over hyped and they worry that it might be happening again . These two incoming freshmen look pretty good to me . Ish is turning out to be a good player and they look to be better shooters , so I'm all
in on both.
I totally agree but I think we should have more faith that our staff is going to land better talent in this class consider the circumstances of Archie taking a year off. I don't think they are going to be superstars the second they step on the court. It'll take time but they both look like they could be great pickups. We'll see.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am guardedly excited with both. We need 3 point shooting and both demonstrate potential to fill that need eventually but likely not right out of the gate. Happy to be proven wrong if one or both adjust better than I expect, however.

Also, I hope we can land a more mature guard in the portal (if Ant Harris doesn’t make it here), as Stevie posted earlier, so as not to have to rush both into service too soon and mess up their development.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Well we will still have Ish and Bray when Dubsky and Estevez arrive , so they won't be rushed .
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for another vid compilation, Stevey.

One of his impressive aspects to me in all his vids is the height off the floor he obtains on his jump shots.
2 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

Hard to be sure of many other aspects of his game but having a kid coming in whose jump shot I *expect* to go in the every time is so huge
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 1 year ago Hard to be sure of many other aspects of his game but having a kid coming in whose jump shot I *expect* to go in the every time is so huge
Don’t get your hopes up - been waiting for some guys like that for years and they either don’t pan out or get benched for inability to play D
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 1 year ago Hard to be sure of many other aspects of his game but having a kid coming in whose jump shot I *expect* to go in the every time is so huge
Don’t get your hopes up - been waiting for some guys like that for years and they either don’t pan out or get benched for inability to play D
We/ll see. But yes. Tempering my expectations.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like he'll be playing in Worcester.

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sunrise Christian is playing at 1:00 tomorrow in the semi-finals of the National Prep Championship.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Anyone have any luck finding box scores for any of these games or know how Connor did? I can't find anything.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Curious to see his stats the past several games in this Prep Championship series.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone have any luck finding box scores for any of these games or know how Connor did? I can't find anything.
I wanna know how many 3s he knocked down :D
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone have any luck finding box scores for any of these games or know how Connor did? I can't find anything.
You can all watch any of the games. The final is at 7 tonight. The best player I’ve seen so far is Overton who’s committed to Drake.

Connors shot has been a little off the last few games but he can get red hot any second.

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Curious to see his stats the past several games in this Prep Championship series.
Are there any stats for any games this season? I often look but never find anything.
Does he start for Sunrise? How many minutes per game does he play in general?
Points per game average?
3P shooting %??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Are there any stats for any games this season? I often look but never find anything.
Does he start for Sunrise? How many minutes per game does he play in general?
Points per game average?
3P shooting %??
Yeah Ramster, I have been searching also and found nothing.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

You can all watch any of the games. The final is at 7 tonight. The best player I’ve seen so far is Overton who’s committed to Drake.

Connors shot has been a little off the last few games but he can get red hot any second.

Ah damn, too bad it costs money.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Way too many good college games tonight for me to devote a screen to a prep game. :)

Kind of crazy that you can't even get box scores for these games in 2023.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looks like you have to pay $15 to watch a prep game?
I have not seen any stats or box scores for either of these two recruit signings all season.
Seems the prep schools want it that way or something strange about it.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Looks like you have to pay $15 to watch a prep game?
I have not seen any stats or box scores for either of these two recruit signings all season.
Seems the prep schools want it that way or something strange about it.
Yeah, I’m not paying to watch a prep game lol.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like Putnam Science won 80-76. Sounds like it was a good game.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like we will have to wait until they enroll to get a hood look @ them oh well
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Haven’t seen much chatter or coverage of him during the tournament. Hard to imagine he made much of an impact in that case
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wait, you have to pay to watching these freakin prep games?

Lololol
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Wait, you have to pay to watching these freakin prep games?

Lololol
Typically no. For the national prep tournament yes. Most of the games have free streams or free replays. Sometimes it’s streamed on IG live. Very easy to watch these games.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So there's a better chance of Ant Harris reading his Keaney Blue thread than us getting any stats of how Connor did in the tournament.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago So there's a better chance of Ant Harris reading his Keaney Blue thread than us getting any stats of how Connor did in the tournament.
Idk his exact stats....He comes in to do one thing for that team. Shoot. He hit a few shots in the two games I watched. He also seems to be good at drawing fouls on the shot. Quick first step and a nice pull-up game. He was ice cold in one game and played well in the other. I love that he doesn't let a few missed shots affect him. He's always laser focused and ready to shoot. I think we will really like Connor as he continues to develop. But as we have said many times, relying on freshmen is hard. We'll see!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Depending on the freshman
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Depending on the freshman
Depending is the wrong word. But it’s also fairly common for freshmen to make an impact. We just haven’t had those type of freshmen lately
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Connor wanted me to share this
9 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Welcome to Rhody Connor! Love your spirit!!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff, Scott. Thanks for posting the vid.

I heard him say he will be coming to Rhody in May. Great! Put him to work right away, Archie! Let’s get this program rolling again!
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seems like a great kid !!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Those looking for stats: 41% overall, 42% on 3s, 84% FTs.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

- 2022-2023 season: 83/203 FG (41%); 55/131 3FG (42%); 30/71 2FG (42%); 26/31 FT (84%) - 251 points
- 2021-2022 season: 101/193 FG (52%); 47/96 3FG (49%); 50/92 2FG (54%); 36/44 FT (82%) - 277 points
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How many games? If this is their schedule there were at least 40 games? https://www.sunrisechristianhoops.com/postgradroster

If he played 30 games and scored 251 pts that’s 8.4pts a game. If he played 40 that 6.3/game.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm guessing he was used mainly as a 3 point shooter off the bench. His 2FG and FT attempts were both down. Perhaps playing against better competition affected his FG% which were both lower than the prior year? Hopefully he can defend at the collegiate level because we can use good shooters off our bench. I am hoping for a solid role player. If he eventually becomes more than that it would be a bonus. I like his attitude.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I believe he wasn’t on the top team at sunrise, so he wasn’t playing against top competition. It took some digging to find his roster and schedule, when you search Sunrise Christian this one comes up https://www.maxpreps.com/ks/bel-aire/su ... /schedule/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I believe he wasn’t on the top team at sunrise, so he wasn’t playing against top competition. It took some digging to find his roster and schedule, when you search Sunrise Christian this one comes up https://www.maxpreps.com/ks/bel-aire/su ... /schedule/
Connor played on the post grad team.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I believe he wasn’t on the top team at sunrise, so he wasn’t playing against top competition. It took some digging to find his roster and schedule, when you search Sunrise Christian this one comes up https://www.maxpreps.com/ks/bel-aire/su ... /schedule/
Got it, that’s usually good competition.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
They also have an Elite team. Matas Buzelis is on that team. Top 10 player in '23 class. He's skipping college and going to the G League.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago

They also have an Elite team. Matas Buzelis is on that team. Top 10 player in '23 class. He's skipping college and going to the G League.
In fact, that Elite team has 3 players in the top 50 from the '23 class.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I watched a bunch of Connors games… His team was loaded with talent which is why they made the finals of the National tournament. He was either the 6th or 7th man off the bench and came in and did what he does best. Shoot. Moves really well without the ball and was very good at getting open. I’m excited to watch him develop here.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING