'23 VA SG - Connor Dubsky (URI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Re: '23 VT SG - Connor Dubsky

Unread post by Rhody09 »

5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kenny and Archie are tough to beat!
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Nice, I think he's going to fill an important role for us!

Martin, Carey, ? out
Myers, Nwafor, Dubsky in
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I love the looks of this kid's jump shot. Picture perfect.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

4 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody Rhody Rhody!!!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I like this kids approach on the court, ratings aside I also like the schools that recruited him. We got a shooter!
2 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Hes got the Jimmy Baron leg kick...
3 x
GO RAMS
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I have mentioned several times I do not get caught up at how many stars a player has. I trust that good coaches can identify players that can play at their level either immediately or a couple of years down the road which is often times when a freshman should be expected to play significant minutes on a good team. So I will trust Archie's judgement here and on Myers as he has taken both of these commitments early so he must like both as players even if their rankings may say otherwise.

Looking at his list of offers he was definitely trending up if it is an accurate list. He ended up with 18 offers at the end of the day. His first was from that powerhouse Maine on June 20 and his last was from Maryland (OK not true that was actually the second to last one but the Austin Peay offer on 7/29 does not fit the story). He came into the summer with no D1 offers at all. Quite the range of offers here from low to high major. Will be interesting to see what kind of player he becomes.

He did have two other A10 offers from George Mason and GW. But shooting is so important in today's basketball (I would argue too important but that is a story for a different time) and it is nice to have a coach that recognizes that. I think that was one of Cox's biggest faults was the fit of the team with how the game is played today. Not sure the K-State offer was "real" because in the article he mentioned visiting in September to take in a football game. That never happened. Is that because Connor decided to make a choice now or was it because the offer was pulled? Does not matter at the end of the day but am always curious if the reported offers are ones the player could have accepted or not. Often times they are contingent on other things happening and it would be the latter.

Can we update the title of the thread to VA SG and not VT SG? He is from Virginia not Vermont.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago Can we update the title of the thread to VA SG and not VT SG? He is from Virginia not Vermont.
Oops! My bad. Updated that, and thread title.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '23 VA SG - Connor Dubsky (Rhode Island verbal)

And he's playing at Putnam this year so we'll be able to keep up with his development. He'll probably be at some of our games since Putnam is only an hour from campus.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Oh and yes.....Kenny Johnson beats out David Cox.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just got off the golf course and excited to hear of his commitment.

Dubs is exactly what the doctor ordered an excellent shooter, legit 3- point threat, and a high basketball IQ.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Oh and yes.....Kenny Johnson beats out David Cox.
DCRams and Tjrams91 led me to believe we would never get a commitment from that area again if we fired Cox....
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
DCRams and Tjrams91 led me to believe we would never get a commitment from that area again if we fired Cox....
KJ is solid in the DMV, we are good there.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

Virginia guard selects URI; 6-4 Connor Dubsky picks the Rams over three other schools

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 309907002/
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is awesome!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Always excited to lock in a knock down shooter! Every team needs at least one. Welcome Connor!

Unrelated to Dubsky, but for the stars debate...as fans, let's just be honest with ourselves here, if the recruits ranking is high it's great and we all trust it and will highlight it as much as we can. If the recruits stars/ranking is lower we all downplay it as meaningless and highlight trusting the staff. Which is totally fine!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
KJ is solid in the DMV, we are good there.
And no disrespect to Cox, but Kenny has recruited players at a much higher level than Dave.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Got TWO DMV area recruits just this week.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Like others here, I really like the commitment. Good shooter, good court vision and smart on and off the court. He’s not a finished product but he has 15-16 months to improve before he suits up for Rhody. Plus, I am sure Archie and staff will be watching, advising him, and easing him into the program before he’s on campus next summer.

Another nice piece to be added to the collection already in place as Archie leads us on the trail back to being a relevant program again.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I love that we went after him very hard before he started to blow up. It seems like Myers and Connor are both players that more high majors would have offered if they kept their recruitment open. Especially Connor.

“The Wildcats and Terrapins provided URI with a pair of late Power 5 threats, along with interest from Illinois, Oklahoma and West Virginia.”
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Gotta love that Rhody campus charm.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Kingston Campus has come a LONG way in the past 15 years. Really is nice now.
3 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Always excited to lock in a knock down shooter! Every team needs at least one. Welcome Connor!

Unrelated to Dubsky, but for the stars debate...as fans, let's just be honest with ourselves here, if the recruits ranking is high it's great and we all trust it and will highlight it as much as we can. If the recruits stars/ranking is lower we all downplay it as meaningless and highlight trusting the staff. Which is totally fine!
I value coaches/programs recruiting a kid over the stars. Too many pitfalls in the methodology or lack thereof behind the ratings outside the Top 25ish kids that have been seen multiple times by high level and legit scouting services.
3 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

So this is our 3rd recruit for 2023 class, but to my knowledge Malik Martin is the only senior on the team...so how are we able to offer multiple scholarships? Are coaches now just under the assumption that players will leave in the transfer portal so they want to be over prepared with extra recruits?

Or is there something else that i am missing?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 1 year ago So this is our 3rd recruit for 2023 class, but to my knowledge Malik Martin is the only senior on the team...so how are we able to offer multiple scholarships? Are coaches now just under the assumption that players will leave in the transfer portal so they want to be over prepared with extra recruits?

Archie said Carey is going pro after this season. And with the transfer portal it’s likely at least one player will enter the transfer portal. Also I have no clue what’s the status with KC, haven’t heard anything about him recently.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 1 year ago So this is our 3rd recruit for 2023 class, but to my knowledge Malik Martin is the only senior on the team...so how are we able to offer multiple scholarships? Are coaches now just under the assumption that players will leave in the transfer portal so they want to be over prepared with extra recruits?

Archie said Carey is going pro after this season. And with the transfer portal it’s likely at least one player will enter the transfer portal. Also I have no clue what’s going on with KC, he may or may not ever make it to campus.
After landing Myers, I don't see why we need such a project like KC. I hate to sound negative about the kid, but from the tape I'm seeing he does not look like a D1 prospect.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Archie said Carey is going pro after this season. And with the transfer portal it’s likely at least one player will enter the transfer portal. Also I have no clue what’s going on with KC, he may or may not ever make it to campus.
After landing Myers, I don't see why we need such a project like KC. I hate to sound negative about the kid, but from the tape I'm seeing he does not look like a D1 prospect.
Oddly, because he's a year out from being on campus, I'd be surprised if they made this offer with KC in mind. A more likely scenario in my mind - If I'm reading the web correctly, teams are allowed to have roughly 30 practices in the 42 days before the start of the NCAA basketball season in early October. As those practices start and Archie sets rotations, I'd be shocked if we retained EVERYONE through midterms.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Could also see stashing him at PSA for a year. He would likely be a redshirt player in 23’ so no reason to rush it, get him to America and at a prep program close by and make him the first 24’ recruit.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

For everyone who dreams of landing 4 Star recruits I have 2 words:

JERMAINE HARRIS

And welcome to Kingston Connor. Can't wait to see you drain 3s. It was so sad to watch our team try to hit from beyond the arc the last couple years. No more rock fights at the RC!
4 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys I have Connor Dubsky coming on my podcast Wednesday. Do you have any questions for him?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago For everyone who dreams of landing 4 Star recruits I have 2 words:

JERMAINE HARRIS

And welcome to Kingston Connor. Can't wait to see you drain 3s. It was so sad to watch our team try to hit from beyond the arc the last couple years. No more rock fights at the RC!
Ooph… Jermaine Harris.

I had a meeting the day of his announcement. I purposely finished up the meeting early that afternoon so I could get to my car and lurk on here for his big announcement. I was so psyched.

The journey of cbb fandom and recruiting…what a roller coaster ride.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago For everyone who dreams of landing 4 Star recruits I have 2 words:

JERMAINE HARRIS

Of course you bring up Harris. Who was questioned all along. Why didn't you bring up Jared Terrell?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Hey guys I have Connor Dubsky coming on my podcast Wednesday. Do you have any questions for him?
What NBA players does he remind himself of ??

What was his recruiting process like and how hard did URI come for him ??

What does he envision his role being @ URI ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Did he know of the Rhody program before he was recruited by the staff? If yes, what were his impressions?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Hey guys I have Connor Dubsky coming on my podcast Wednesday. Do you have any questions for him?
What part of his game does he need to work om the most and improve upon?

Which schools aside from URI were coming on and recruiting him the hardest as of late?

How long has Kenny Johnson been recruiting him and their relationship?

What are his thoughts on URI; the campus, facilities, location, academics.

Which or have any of the players have reached out to him?

How does he see his fit on the team?

His best asset as a player?
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

HI Everyone,

Here is the latest podcast on Connor Dubsky, which contains a scouting report and stylish photo of Stevey kissing our A10 championship trophy.

Stevey will begin to take a larger and larger role on these podcasts based on his valuable insights.

2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thanks Scott, another great job.

I am so excited about getting Dubs, I think he can become one of our most impactful players.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I agree. He has so many diverse skills and is such a hard worker. Definitely a Kenny Johnson disciple.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago HI Everyone,

Here is the latest podcast on Connor Dubsky, which contains a scouting report and stylish photo of Stevey kissing our A10 championship trophy.

Stevey will begin to take a larger and larger role on these podcasts based on his valuable insights.

Awesome Job Scott!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Archie in to see Connor. Good move to start Fall recruiting.

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Big fan of the official visit pics
2 x