'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago

That program has just been a little weird over the last few years. Kessler transferring out was very very strange. Usually the bigs from UNC go to the NBA and not Auburn. Then they were bad many times during the season last year and then they figure out how to become world beaters. And now they basically return all the key contributors despite having guys leave early for as long as anyone can remember. Hopefully Ant shows up and he's good.

Production is key but also with the high level transfers can bring other factors that help the team that don't show up on the stat sheet.
The program just went to the national title game last season, that's considered weird to you?
And Walker Kessler transferred because Roy Williams moved away from their traditional 2 starting bigs to just 1 and knew he wasn't getting many minutes with Bacot coming in.
Kessler transferring was not weird at all.

https://www.on3.com/news/walker-kessler ... -transfer/
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

The program just went to the national title game last season, that's considered weird to you?
And Walker Kessler transferred because Roy Williams moved away from their traditional 2 starting bigs to just 1 and knew he wasn't getting many minutes with Bacot coming in.

Yeah - that was my point
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea, he was agreeing with and explaining why Kessler transferred and how it made perfect sense.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Hey, it's ok. Because this signing produced a lot of hype, and may have been a factor in subsequent signings this summer, because everything in college basketball is based on momentum. so, to that end, still worth it. Even if they knew from square numero uno that he wasn't going to be here academically.
"Everything in college basketball is based on momentum."

Hmmm...I didn't know that. For all this time, I thought hard work meant something. Guess not. You learn something new every day.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Hey, it's ok. Because this signing produced a lot of hype, and may have been a factor in subsequent signings this summer, because everything in college basketball is based on momentum. so, to that end, still worth it. Even if they knew from square numero uno that he wasn't going to be here academically.

Hmmm...I didn't know that. For all this time, I thought hard work meant something. Guess not. You learn something new every day.
Good, positive, Glass half full way of looking at it Jcru, but for me it’s tough to lose an incoming talent like Harris in September who many of us had projected as a starting guard on November 7th. Someone now fills Harris’ position from the bench. Too late to get anyone in now.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Getting a top tier player boost for 2nd semester would be huge. Staff announced A Harris status at the proper time. We have absolutely nothing to complain about here. Quite the opposite IMO.

Hopefully now this thread can take a nap…..
As good as he is, he’ll be rusty after a year of inactivity. I wouldn’t expect an immediate impact.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think the only hype was among the Rhody faithful and doubt very much he impacted subsequent signings.
He was a '2019 recruit and played very little in his 3 years at UNC.

He may have been a top 100 recruit but certainly wasn't close to being a blue chipper like Lamar and Sly.

Ant wasn't even listed as one of the top 10 impact transfers to the A10.

Yes, I hope he straightens out his academics and ends up here, but we will survive with or without him.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Good, positive, Glass half full way of looking at it Jcru, but for me it’s tough to lose an incoming talent like Harris in September who many of us had projected as a starting guard on November 7th. Someone now fills Harris’ position from the bench. Too late to get anyone in now.
Ramster someone has been filling his role since June. It's not like he left yesterday. He's never been here. We will be fine.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Ramster someone has been filling his role since June. It's not like he left yesterday. He's never been here. We will be fine.
We Lost a probable starter who played at North Carolina
So if we lost 5 starters and had 5 guys from the bench to fill those roles would we be fine?

Just seems like a team like URI preseason ranked 10th in A10 can’t afford many, if any, surprises like this.

Part of the process to rebuild for the future
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So if we lost 5 starters and had 5 guys from the bench to fill those roles would we be fine?

Just seems like a team like URI preseason ranked 10th in A10 can’t afford many, if any, surprises like this.

I'm not going down the wormhole. I haven't seen anyone who I think should be a starter play yet.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm not going down the wormhole. I haven't seen anyone who I think should be a starter play yet.
That’s why I used the word “probable”.
But I’m not going down the koolaid road that this loss doesn’t matter either.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That’s why I used the word “probable”.
But I’m not going down the koolaid road that this loss doesn’t matter either.
I know that's not directed at me of course. Since I'm waiting on our first 4* recruit. But I understand what you're saying.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Kool aid road is much more fun - besides, if you are a pessimistic rhody fan then you do not expect a post season this year, so maybe not having a guy who will likely take up a lot of minutes the first half of the season is an ok thing? It will give more a chance to get some more minutes for the other guys to show what they have.

I am generally a Kool Aid guy though, and I think it sucks he won't be available because in my Kool Aid world he is the piece that would make us a post-season team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Kool aid road is much more fun - besides, if you are a pessimistic rhody fan then you do not expect a post season this year, so maybe not having a guy who will likely take up a lot of minutes the first half of the season is an ok thing? It will give more a chance to get some more minutes for the other guys to show what they have.

I am generally a Kool Aid guy though, and I think it sucks he won't be available because in my Kool Aid world he is the piece that would make us a post-season team.
Even with him, I didn’t see post-season in the cards. Not being pessimistic just realistic.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago Kool aid road is much more fun - besides, if you are a pessimistic rhody fan then you do not expect a post season this year, so maybe not having a guy who will likely take up a lot of minutes the first half of the season is an ok thing? It will give more a chance to get some more minutes for the other guys to show what they have.

Even with him, I didn’t see post-season in the cards. Not being pessimistic just realistic.
Nobody is saying that. What was said was there would be someone ready to fill his spot. There always is someone to fill a spot. It’s the drop off in talent of that spot that does not keep the same level of talent.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nobody is saying that. What was said was there would be someone ready to fill his spot. There always is someone to fill a spot. It’s the drop off in talent of that spot that does not keep the same level of talent.
The guy had not one but two ACL surgeries. I mean, cmon. He was not our saviour. Maybe for this gap year? But not long term.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The guy had not one but two ACL surgeries. I mean, cmon. He was not our saviour. Maybe for this gap year? But not long term.
Not saying he was. But losing him doesn’t make this team better.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who's to say? When was the last time he played?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Who's to say? When was the last time he played?
The HC and the Staff who recruited him say. Otherwise why recruit him? Did they buy a car without test driving it? I’m sure they saw him play when he visited and they decided whether or not to offer him. This isn’t the Jim Baron or David Cox regime.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ant Harris is a significant loss. I don't know why some are trying to convince themselves that he's not. People are acting like he just recovered from his injuries which is not the case. Ant went live a few times on IG and looked very athletic and quick while training. He's a fantastic combo guard that's a great fit next to Bray, as he's best as a secondary playmaker who can attack. Archie has repeatedly said he wants guards that can attack and excel in transition. That's exactly what Ant Harris does well. He finishes with both hands on the fast break and with contact. He does a great job of getting to the free-throw line. He'll have a much easier time scoring the rock in the A10 compared to one of the best conferences in the entire country...Conversely, he may have been our best on-ball defender at the guard position. He has a ton of heart, and his energy is something we will miss.

This isn't a kid from Ball State..Th. is a fan favorite from UNC. Let's hope he plays because he's a significant upgrade compared to guys like Ish and Bassy.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Ant Harris is a significant loss. I don't know why some are trying to convince themselves that he's not. People are acting like he just recovered from his injuries which is not the case. Ant went live a few times on IG and looked very athletic and quick while training. He's a fantastic combo guard that's a great fit next to Bray, as he's best as a secondary playmaker who can attack. Archie has repeatedly said he wants guards that can attack and excel in transition. That's exactly what Ant Harris does well. He finishes with both hands on the fast break and with contact. He does a great job of getting to the free-throw line. He'll have a much easier time scoring the rock in the A10 compared to one of the best conferences in the entire country...Conversely, he may have been our best on-ball defender at the guard position. He has a ton of heart, and his energy is something we will miss.

This isn't a kid from Ball State..Th. is a fan favorite from UNC. Let's hope he plays because he's a significant upgrade compared to guys like Ish and Bassy.
I agree Stevey it is too bad, but if he can't keep his act together in the classroom and stay eligible what good is he?

I am sure Davis had his reasons for not playing him 2nd semester and it is not too much of a stretch to figure out why.
He had all of last semester and summer classes to get his academics in order and still had issues that he needs to attend JC.

All that aside and he probably did recover from the ACL but there are no guarantees his body will even hold up for an entire season.

It is hard to consider him a loss right now when he was never actually on campus or enrolled.
You can't lose something you never had.

Like I said if he comes great, but until then we will do our best with what we have.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Ant Harris is a significant loss. I don't know why some are trying to convince themselves that he's not. People are acting like he just recovered from his injuries which is not the case. Ant went live a few times on IG and looked very athletic and quick while training. He's a fantastic combo guard that's a great fit next to Bray, as he's best as a secondary playmaker who can attack. Archie has repeatedly said he wants guards that can attack and excel in transition. That's exactly what Ant Harris does well. He finishes with both hands on the fast break and with contact. He does a great job of getting to the free-throw line. He'll have a much easier time scoring the rock in the A10 compared to one of the best conferences in the entire country...Conversely, he may have been our best on-ball defender at the guard position. He has a ton of heart, and his energy is something we will miss.

You really can’t say it’s a significant loss when he has done basically nothing in college of significance.

You’re literally judging off of an Instagram video where every player can look like an All American.

“Lot of heart” “fan favorite” doesn’t translate to on court production.

Jalen Carey was a higher ranked recruit out of high school, had better games than Harris in college, and has underachieved at Rhody compared to what we all expected him to be.

Harris has been hurt multiple times, didn’t play for whatever reason the second half of the season.

Now would he have been very good here? Maybe, who knows.

But it’s tough to say he’s a significant loss when his college career has been largely irrelevant and underwhelming.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I agree Stevey it is too bad, but if he can't keep his act together in the classroom and stay eligible what good is he?

I am sure Davis had his reasons for not playing him 2nd semester and it is not too much of a stretch to figure out why.
He had all of last semester and summer classes to get his academics in order and still had issues that he needs to attend JC.

All that aside and he probably did recover from the ACL but there are no guarantees his body will even hold up for an entire season.

It is hard to consider him a loss right now when he was never actually on campus or enrolled.

Like I said if he comes great, but until then we will do our best with what we have.
77, me and you seem to agree on about 98% of things on this board.

Nice to have someone who sees things the way I do!
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And typically, my friend Stevey and I agree on most things Rhody.

I understand how he feels about Ant because he was extremely excited when he committed to us.

It is too bad some of his baggage got in the way, at least for now.

We will see, I think he can be a big asset, but time will tell.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You really can’t say it’s a significant loss when he has done basically nothing in college of significance.

You’re literally judging off of an Instagram video where every player can look like an All American.

Jalen Carey was a higher ranked recruit out of high school, had better games than Harris in college, and has underachieved at Rhody compared to what we all expected him to be.

Harris has been hurt multiple times, didn’t play for whatever reason the second half of the season.

But it’s tough to say he’s a significant loss when his college career has been largely irrelevant and underwhelming.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up Jalen Carey. I like Carey and I see his potential and he may break out under better coaching. The difference is Jalen Carey was recruited by one of the worst coaches in the history of our program. I trust Archie Millers ability a hell of a lot more.

I think Archie’s recruiting will be more on par with Dan. How did his 4 star transfers turn out?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

You can look like an All American on a live video where he can’t edit it? I guess I should do that then. Maybe I’ll get an offer. I brought up Instagram because everyone is bringing up his injuries and it’s relevant that he looks healthy right now. You can seen plenty of game tape from high school and some tape from UNC, but I’m more focused on his health today.

I noticed you left out everything else I said about his game and only brought up the fan favorite part. What do you not like about his game?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

And typically, my friend Stevey and I agree on most things Rhody.

I understand how he feels about Ant because he was extremely excited when he committed to us.

It is too bad some of his baggage got in the way, at least for now.

We will see, I think he can be a big asset, but time will tell.
I see your point, but I felt like our backcourt was very weak last season. Bray is a significant upgrade, and I think Ant would be the second-best guard on this team. That doesn’t mean Archie can’t make it work. He can and will. But I’m not going to pretend that Ant Harris isn’t a loss now that it’s out that he’s not playing the first semester. There is a reason so many people were so excited about this get. Archie’s comments on Ant make me believe he’s a big part of our future if he becomes eligible.

We shall see what happens
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up Jalen Carey. I like Carey and I see his potential and he may break out under better coaching. The difference is Jalen Carey was recruited by one of the worst coaches in the history of our program. I trust Archie Millers ability a hell of a lot more.

I think Archie’s recruiting will be more on par with Dan. How did his 4 star transfers turn out?
Archie Miller recruited Jalen Carey to Indiana.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Harris not coming URI is a huge loss...You don't get recruited and play for UNC because your not an impact player and to leave the ACC and play in the A10 regardless of injuries, you are still a talented basketball player. Whatever the baggage he carries and could not get admitted into URI tells me he will never enroll at URI. I do believe that ship has sailed.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yup and If I remember correctly, Archie landed SG Romeo Langford the same year Carey was being recruited. He's now in the NBA. Al Durham was another...Even a player like Phinisee would be a good A10 player.

Archie will have misses like any coach in the country but he has a much better track record as a head coach of landing talented guards compared to David Cox. It's not even remotely close
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Yup and If I remember correctly, Archie landed SG Romeo Langford the same year Carey was being recruited. He's now in the NBA. Al Durham was another...Even a player like Phinisee would be a good A10 player.

Archie will have misses like any coach in the country but he has a much better track record as a head coach of landing talented guards compared to David Cox. It's not even remotely close
Hey man, you brought up Jalen Carey as a dud. The point was Archie saw the same thing David Cox did. Does David Cox get credit for recruiting Jeff Dowtin?

Yes, there are misses and gets on the recruiting trail. Archie had the advantage of the Indiana name and budget. If Archie's players were so good at IU, why was he let go? Did he coach poorly there?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Hey man, you brought up Jalen Carey as a dud. The point was Archie saw the same thing David Cox did. Does David Cox get credit for recruiting Jeff Dowtin?

Yes, there are misses and gets on the recruiting trail. Archie had the advantage of the Indiana name and budget. If Archie's players were so good at IU, why was he let go? Did he coach poorly there?
I can bring up examples of great recruits that Archie landed, and then you can bring up the ones that didnt' work out, and we will end up talking in circles. I think Ant Harris is a loss, and I think Archie Miller is a better recruiter and coach than David Cox. You guys don't and that's fine. I'm moving on.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I mean, we have a sample size of 30ish games for Harris at UNC. He was a decent contributor there - Better than Carey at Syracuse, more equivalent to a Kuran Iverson at Memphis or Stan Robinson at Indiana. He's a bit more injured than those guys, but it's as close to a "no brainer" transfer acceptance as you can get. He's probably at least a rotation player on a decent URI team, and likely someone we can use the second he's eligible.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the North Carolina Basketball Message Board on Harris eligibility:

https://247sports.com/college/north-car ... 66/?page=1
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

They talk a lot about how high their academic standards are for a college that had a sham department to let athletes take fake classes.....
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Should be Anthony Harris (UNC--?--URI?)?
0 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, we have a sample size of 30ish games for Harris at UNC. He was a decent contributor there - Better than Carey at Syracuse, more equivalent to a Kuran Iverson at Memphis or Stan Robinson at Indiana. He's a bit more injured than those guys, but it's as close to a "no brainer" transfer acceptance as you can get. He's probably at least a rotation player on a decent URI team, and likely someone we can use the second he's eligible.
Nice to have someone who sees things the way I do
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Really hope he makes it on the court for us.

Wanna speculate further???

Yes? Okay!

Saw on Instagram he was practicing with what looks like an international ball... looks like he's getting ready for pro ball..😂
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I mean, we have a sample size of 30ish games for Harris at UNC. He was a decent contributor there - Better than Carey at Syracuse, more equivalent to a Kuran Iverson at Memphis or Stan Robinson at Indiana. He's a bit more injured than those guys, but it's as close to a "no brainer" transfer acceptance as you can get. He's probably at least a rotation player on a decent URI team, and likely someone we can use the second he's eligible.
Stevey, I’ll go so far as to say he would be the best player on this years team. He’s been in my starting 5 from Day 1. So it’s a big loss for me, not so much for those who didn’t have him starting.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is URI's academic advisor allowed to be in contact with and help Ant while he's at whatever JC he's at?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ant is potentially an integral loss, but I still hold out hope he plays here at some point. So, that is why I say, potentially. The door hasn’t completely closed yet.

Our returnees in the backcourt are adequate. Many of the new backcourt players have questions. I am confident Archie can coach them up but, it is just too early for me to figure their impact except for Bray. I think Bray has high end A10 ability - especially under Archie and this staff. Bray and Ant would be a very compelling combo if given the chance.

It is an unfortunate situation as I was excited to watch him play in Keaney blue. Have to wait and see what happens.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Stevey, I’ll go so far as to say he would be the best player on this years team. He’s been in my starting 5 from Day 1. So it’s a big loss for me, not so much for those who didn’t have him starting.
Wow Ramster, best player, maybe at some point, but I didn't think immediately.

Yes, I feel would have been a great addition and an impact player.

But as you know, I didn't predict him to start from day 1.
After not playing since early Jan. and missing all of summer practices. I thought it would take him some time to fit in.

Not sure how much Archie plays him even if he is here for 2nd semester.
Lot depends on how our backcourt is doing.
Also his conditioning may be an issue, not having played, plus meshing with the teammates and learning the system.

We all have our own opinions, and it seems like we are beating this subject to death.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Is URI's academic advisor allowed to be in contact with and help Ant while he's at whatever JC he's at?
I would be surprised if that is allowed.
Seems like an NCAA violation with a school interfering on their own behalf with a student that isn't even enrolled.

Sooner or later is up to him to do the work and take accountability.
We can't coddle these kids forever,
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Is URI's academic advisor allowed to be in contact with and help Ant while he's at whatever JC he's at?
No - but I am tutoring him - he will be an expert in no time and bring the lyrics to life on the basketball court

https://www.johnnycash.com/about/books/list/
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

After not playing since early Jan. and missing all of summer practices. I thought it would take him some time to fit in.

Also his conditioning may be an issue, not having played, plus meshing with the teammates and learning the system.

We all have our own opinions, and it seems like we are beating this subject to death.
Is he playing basketball at whatever JC he is at?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

How could he if the plan is for him to enroll in December.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

How could he if the plan is for him to enroll in December.
After 1st semester. He'd get about 10 games in at JC, I'd imagine. But maybe our staff wants him to totally concentrate on the books while he's there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We are picked 10th in A10 preseason. Maybe worse now without Harris. We need talent like Harris in our starters. Quality, not quantity.
Harris was the last player I wanted to lose.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I can bring up examples of great recruits that Archie landed, and then you can bring up the ones that didnt' work out, and we will end up talking in circles. I think Ant Harris is a loss, and I think Archie Miller is a better recruiter and coach than David Cox. You guys don't and that's fine. I'm moving on.
Can you find me one post where I said that David Cox is superior to Archie Miller in anything?? I mean seriously, stop making crap up.

1. Archie Miller is better at coaching basketball than David Cox...in all facets of the game. That doesn't make him (or Dan Hurley) the next John Wooden or Coach K. Archie has weaknesses too.
2. And that also doesn't mean you have to crap on David Cox. No, he wasn't a good head coach. He wasn't the worst coach in the history of basketball either.
3. As I've said, he was justifiably hired and justifiably fired after 4 years, which is the right amount of time to give a coach. (Barring something disastrous like the 2 seasons of Jerry D.)
4. So move on and stop looking in the rear view mirror.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We are picked 10th in A10 preseason. Maybe worse now without Harris. We need talent like Harris in our starters. Quality, not quantity.
Harris was the last player I wanted to lose.
For me Ramster it is Bray.
He comes with no baggage, also a few years younger than Ant.

He has proven himself as a major impact player in the A10, in his first year
He can play both PG and CG.

Again, there have been red flags regarding Ant's academics for a while, (along with his injury history) so I tempered my hopes about him.
1 x