‘22 CAN F - Rory Stewart (URI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: Rory Stewart

Unread post by Section104 »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago Orangeville Prep. Friends with Foumena. Followed by Archie and Duane.

6’9 stretch 4

I think this will be a URI commitment out of the blue tonight.
The first and last section 104 guarantee!
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, at least this time he actually had his own thread before he committed, but only by about 24 hours.

Archie Miller: still quite stealthy

make that: 10 hours
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The incoming freshman class is shaping up nicely. It is interesting times to be able to add quality incoming freshman this late in the cycle. The transfer portal is having some interesting side effects.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

And we finally have the makings of a frontcourt. A young frontcourt, for sure, but certainly promising. I wouldn’t mind a transfer with experience to balance out the classes.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If he needs a place to get his bits and bobs, tell him to try Kellie's Cafe right after the bridge in Newport:

https://www.facebook.com/kelliescafenewportri/

It's kind of expensive, but it's one of the only local places to get this stuff. My wife and her friend from work go there to get Cornish pastries sometimes and other treats. If he likes marmite, you can get that at some of the local Supermarkets like Shaws or the international section in Bed Bath and Beyond.

edit: just been informed they no longer have the international section at BBB, since Covid. Shaws and Stop and Shop typically have it though.
Last edited by jcru 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I really really like this signing. Things are really looking great for our future.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting the vid, 83. Nice signing and great to see the roster filling in. We are stealth in mode. 😎

As an aside…Rhody should do a stealth promo game. Pass out the blues brothers glasses to fans then everyone puts them on during Rhody intro’s. Would be a blast. Make it a tradition for every home game. Bring your stealth glasses every home game and wear them during intro’s. Get Archie on a billboard with the glasses - Rhody stealth. :D
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

1) Start with getting a potential all-conference proven point guard with 3 years left- Braylon Freeman. Coach Kenny paid dividends right away.

2) Land a wing, stretch 4 and mobile-athletic rim protector 5, all from quality Prep Programs. Coach 40 lands three! Landing 3 quality front court 22's this late was huge.

3) Close on some transfers. Would love Brandon Weston and the big from Tech.

Now that the AAU season had its first session and staffs are grinding hard with rising seniors and underclassman you can see the Kenny Johnson effect. We are making offers and working hard on getting in with some really talented players. Coach Miller and staff are clearly determined to build this program with his hand picked players. He has a plan in place. He is not just grabbing players and putting it together and hoping it works. He is following a blueprint. He is showing great patience and has put together a fantastic staff that is executing it really well.

Do we go with Bassy as the back up point guard? It will be telling the next few weeks. The staff has had 6 weeks to evaluate and see? If we bring in a point guard we will know.

We need someone who can score! Hopefully we are working on getting a bucket getter. Now that some of the roster is coming together it becomes clearer what we need. This is fun!
5 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago 1) Start with getting a potential all-conference proven point guard with 3 years left- Braylon Freeman. Coach Kenny paid dividends right away.

2) Land a wing, stretch 4 and mobile-athletic rim protector 5, all from quality Prep Programs. Coach 40 lands three! Landing 3 quality front court 22's this late was huge.

Now that the AAU season had its first session and staffs are grinding hard with rising seniors and underclassman you can see the Kenny Johnson effect. We are making offers and working hard on getting in with some really talented players. Coach Miller and staff are clearly determined to build this program with his hand picked players. He has a plan in place. He is not just grabbing players and putting it together and hoping it works. He is following a blueprint. He is showing great patience and has put together a fantastic staff that is executing it really well.

Do we go with Bassy as the back up point guard? It will be telling the next few weeks. The staff has had 6 weeks to evaluate and see? If we bring in a point guard we will know.

We need someone who can score! Hopefully we are working on getting a bucket getter. Now that some of the roster is coming together it becomes clearer what we need. This is fun!
My bad Kenny was probably the lead with Hutch- Upper Marlboro native.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This is turning into an AMAZING off-season.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘22 CAN F - Rory Stewart (URI Commit)

Unread post by theblueram »

NICE!!!!!! Don't know much about him, but 90+% FT is good with me.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago 1) Start with getting a potential all-conference proven point guard with 3 years left- Braylon Freeman. Coach Kenny paid dividends right away.

Archie said on Wednesday night that he thinks Bassy can be a very good player. He says this is a key offseason for him and that he needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room to help him reach those goals.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Love the offensive upside. Just need to see what he can do defensively and rebounding.

Player Comparison: Daniel Theis
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

DevRam wrote: 2 years ago Love the offensive upside. Just need to see what he can do defensively and rebounding.

Player Comparison: Daniel Theis
How about Davidson's Luka Brajkovic? (Who doesn't sleep with the fishes...)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 CAN F Rory Stewart (URI Commit)

These recruiting threads should come with a health warning.

I’m listening to ECR on one side getting me all hyped up and 15 on the other side keeping grounded. And, this freakin’ staff, with their stealth action, has me looking around figurative dark corners and peaking in cracks searching for recruiting tea leaves to read like I am one of those crazy ghost hunters on TV. I’m up, I’m down, I’m coming, I’m going…I’m all over the freakin’ place like a dog trying to pick up a scent. The Mrs. will have me committed soon. Lol!!

Recruit signing season…I love it!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

My belief comes from the confidence I have in this coaching staff plain and simple

Oh and I am buying PeteRI to “make amends”

Let’s gooooooo
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago

Archie said on Wednesday night that he thinks Bassy can be a very good player. He says this is a key offseason for him and that he needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room to help him reach those goals.

Here’s the videos I uploaded about his comments on Bassy

I absolutely love that we have a coach that is landing shooters. This kid is a sniper.

Welcome Rory!!!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I've watched a lot of video over the years of high school & prep. school recruits that Rhody has had an interest in and this kid by far has the smoothest stroke I have seen and he's unfazed even when the shot is contested. He's got a little swagger to him as well. I love it! 6' 9" and can hit the 3 ball? Good luck guarding that.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The thing I like about his shot is the beautiful arc he puts on it. Nice, form and release too.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
I think we were 1:15 into the video before I saw one of his shots even hit the rim. I’m sure there’s going to be a big step-up in terms of level of competition but if we can find ways to create space for him and let him get some clean looks it’s hard to see how that part of his game won’t translate, at least.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I am pumped whenever we get a guy who can shoot - I have watched our team get consistently out-shot for years and I have been calling for it. I think Archie mentioned in an interview that he fell too in love with athleticism at IU. It’s a mistake a lot of coaches make when they move up a level. Get guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I am pumped whenever we get a guy who can shoot - I have watched our team get consistently out-shot for years and I have been calling for it. I think Archie mentioned in an interview that he fell too in love with athleticism at IU. It’s a mistake a lot of coaches make when they move up a level. Get guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
Huge huzzah to that. Shooters wanted.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago I am pumped whenever we get a guy who can shoot - I have watched our team get consistently out-shot for years and I have been calling for it. I think Archie mentioned in an interview that he fell too in love with athleticism at IU. It’s a mistake a lot of coaches make when they move up a level. Get guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
Yup! We watch Davidson get guys like this every single year and they have consistently been one of the best programs in the A10.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
I think we were 1:15 into the video before I saw one of his shots even hit the rim. I’m sure there’s going to be a big step-up in terms of level of competition but if we can find ways to create space for him and let him get some clean looks it’s hard to see how that part of his game won’t translate, at least.
TP, I agree wholeheartedly as to level of competition. The adjustment in relation to speed, strength, length, skill level, effect and preparation, etc. will take time and may in fits and starts versus all at once. That said, having a coach like Archie and having the staff he has assembled, lends me to believe the adjustment can potentially come sooner than expected.

Plus, it appears Rory, as you pointed out above, has a good skill set baseline to start off with for Archie to mold.

It’s funny how my perception of incoming high school players has changed in the past few months with the staff turnover. 4-5 months ago, my perception, expectations around a signing of this type would be…I hope the kid can figure out how to swim versus sink while he’s here, as opposed to today where I am more emotionally invested. And, that is because I have more confidence the current staff can help players reach their full potential.

I’d imagine, if Archie’s presence can have that affect on me from a distance, imagine the affect he has on the players that are around him daily. The affect must be significant.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice , love the Kevin Love comp
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It has been such a long time since we got high school players or a player that can contribute to a winner and then stayed. Will be fun if these kids do that.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago It has been such a long time since we got high school players or a player that can contribute to a winner and then stayed. Will be fun if these kids do that.
Fatts Russell stayed four years, didn’t transfer after a coaching change, helped us win a tournament game and led a Covid shortened, early bubble team to a 21-9 season.

Hasn’t been that long.
3 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Check out Rory's post-game and passing ability at the five with Foumena out.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Ram Commit Rory Stewart latest guest on the URI Just Getting Started Episode 19 podcast.

Stewart is a 6-9, stretch 4 sniper from Orangeville Prep. Stewart is following former teammate and roommate Jeremy Foumena from Orangeville to The URI Rams

In this podcast - which includes compelling video highlights of Stewart's in game footage - Rory talks about:

His recruitment and visit
Playing high school ball at prep juggernaut Orangeville in Ontario
Being Raised in London
Whether there are anymore recruits coming in from Orangeville to URI
If he is really a 90 percent foul shooter
His ability to move from the 4 to the 5 if needed
How he has improved his inside game and post moves?
The legacy of the Orangeville program with alumni like NBA Star Jamaal Murray.
Why he compares himself to NBA great Kevin Love?
What he thinks of Coach Miller’s approach?
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Can't wait to watch this kid in Rhody blue.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

He’s more than just a pure shooter and 90% from the foul line. He has already developed a post game.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

That’s a good skill set base for Archie and staff to work with and develop.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watching this podcast now great shooting form Rory has
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Shows some great post game here
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Great footwork too.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good video clip, Stevey. Thanks.

I like how he senses the body pressure on the spin moves. Also, nice touch on the jump hook.

Impressive for a high school player. Bodes well for his continued development.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Archie liked him because of his competitiveness. He watched tons of video from Kevin Love. I think he will get some minutes his freshman year. Can’t hurt defending Jeremy everyday in practice.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago It has been such a long time since we got high school players or a player that can contribute to a winner and then stayed. Will be fun if these kids do that.
Fatts Russell stayed four years, didn’t transfer after a coaching change, helped us win a tournament game and led a Covid shortened, early bubble team to a 21-9 season.

Hasn’t been that long.
It's almost the middle of 2022. Fatts Russell was a freshman in 2017. There have been two presidents, two governors, a pandemic and bla bla bla. That is a long time.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago

Hasn’t been that long.
It's almost the middle of 2022. Fatts Russell was a freshman in 2017. There have been two presidents, two governors, a pandemic and bla bla bla. That is a long time.
He graduated literally last year. Completed four consecutive seasons at Rhody.

It has not “been such a long time” since we had a a high school player contribute to winning and then stay the rest of his career here.

It happened 365 days ago.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hasn’t been that long.

It has not “been such a long time” since we had a a high school player contribute to winning and then stay the rest of his career here.

Fatts Russell was not a winner. He was a lot of things, but he was not a winner. Very talented. Also very selfish.

He had a highlight reel play as an off the bench guy. It was a big play and one of my favorites. But he wasn't a winner. The book is out on that. When it was his team, we were losers.

Keeping it on Rory, this looks like a kid who is "under the radar" in terms of not having the high-visibility ranking, but has the skillset to fit Archie's system and be a 4 year contributor.

We haven't had guys like that since DC took over.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

What I find fascinating is the different pieces of the puzzle Archie is assembling. True to his word he did not recruit any one and dones. Trying to pick a starting five or predict where they’ll finish in the league is a crapshoot. All I’m sure of is that the team will be better and will be more fun to watch.
5 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago ...
Fatts Russell was not a winner. He was a lot of things, but he was not a winner. Very talented. Also very selfish.

He had a highlight reel play as an off the bench guy. It was a big play and one of my favorites. But he wasn't a winner. The book is out on that. When it was his team, we were losers.
Where were you when I was crucified here saying this about Fatts?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Keeping it on Rory, this looks like a kid who is "under the radar" in terms of not having the high-visibility ranking, but has the skillset to fit Archie's system and be a 4 year contributor.

When he was healthy (freshman and junior year) we won. Was a catalyst on that tournament team. Led us to the bubble with a tremendous junior season.

Hurt sophomore and senior year where we struggled mightily.
1 x
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

When he was healthy (freshman and junior year) we won. Was a catalyst on that tournament team. Led us to the bubble with a tremendous junior season.

Hurt sophomore and senior year where we struggled mightily.
He also lead us right back off that bubble in that junior season. Talented kid, tremendous moments in his freshman year, but definitely not a winner in the following 4 years.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why has this turned into a Fatts thread?
6 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When I watched the videos on Rory, I keep thinking is his game similar to Jeff Kent’s? (Hope so)
. Does that sound accurate ?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 year ago When I watched the videos on Rory, I keep thinking is his game similar to Jeff Kent’s? (Hope so)
. Does that sound accurate ?
My memory of Jeff is a bit foggy. Could be some similarities but, the game has changed so much since Jeff was at Rhody it isn’t easy for me to compare the two. I think some aspects of their games could be similar, like post moves and rebounding.

I can’t think of any other Rhody player comps off the top of my head. I will have to give it some thought. I am sure there are others here who have some thoughts on comps for Rory in addition to Jeff.

In the meantime, thanks for keeping the recruiting side of the board active.
0 x