‘22 CAN F - Rory Stewart (URI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 CAN F - Rory Stewart (URI Commit)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Jeff was a good 3 point shooter for a big.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

jeff kent !

love it !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Jeff was a good 3 point shooter for a big.
👍🏼

I just looked up the record book. Jeff shot .407 from 3 for his career. He took 172 3’s while at Rhody. That is a good amount for roughly 30 years ago (30 years…yikes!).

He also finished 10th on the career rebounding list and is in the top 10 in steals in a season with 63.

Good stuff, McRam and Iggy. Thanks.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

and hopefully no ties to henry hill !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff shot well for a big man and he was an excellent rebounder. Used his size and was fundamentally sound. He averaged 8.5 rpg his junior and senior seasons.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good reminders, Ramster. My brain sometimes gets foggy. But, like the skunk said when the wind shifted…it’s all coming back to me now. :lol:
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Fatts Russell stayed four years, didn’t transfer after a coaching change, helped us win a tournament game and led a Covid shortened, early bubble team to a 21-9 season.

Hasn’t been that long.
It's almost the middle of 2022. Fatts Russell was a freshman in 2017. There have been two presidents, two governors, a pandemic and bla bla bla. That is a long time.
He graduated literally last year. Completed four consecutive seasons at Rhody.

It has not “been such a long time” since we had a a high school player contribute to winning and then stay the rest of his career here.

It happened 365 days ago.
"getting" a player means recruiting. when they sign. The guy signed a long time ago. There have been several classes since then. Having him in the program yes obviously he was here for a while.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rory Stewart
F | Fr.
6-8 | 230
Toronto, Ontario | Orangeville Prep
A teammate of Jeremy Foumena's at Orangeville Prep, Stewart is a long-range shooter who honed his craft under coach Tony McIntyre's tutelage. A 6-8 wing who originally hails from London, England, Stewart is one of the best pure shooters coming out of Canada. In addition to his work on the perimeter, Stewart shot better than 90 percent at the free throw line, displaying a deadly shooting touch in multiple facets of the game.

Archie Miller on Rory Stewart
"Rory is a guy who has really spent a lot of time honing his craft. He brings good size to the table at 6-8 and 230. He is a bone fide 3-point shooter with great range. You can't have enough of that skill level as you are molding your program's style of play. Rory is going to be a great fit for the way we want to run things, where he can pull defenders away from the basket. He will be able to give our other guys space on the floor to work with. Without question coming in the door, his 3-point shooting ability was something we really looked at."
4 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Great job with these videos RhodyMBB
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I initially thought he may RS this season, but now I feel he has a chance to get some decent minutes.

Our frontcourt is a total crapshoot at this point, let's see which players emerge as making an impact.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Especially if he can consistently nail that 3 then there should be minutes for him
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago Especially if he can consistently nail that 3 then there should be minutes for him
There is always a need for a stretch 4, looks like he has the strength to also play in the paint.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I initially thought he may RS this season, but now I feel he has a chance to get some decent minutes.

Our frontcourt is a total crapshoot at this point, let's see which players emerge as making an impact.

Based on some of the clips I've watched of our team practices, it looks like we already have some designed plays setup for Rory where our guards are driving, and he's hitting the elbow and corner 3.

After watching a lot of game tape, I agree we have some unknowns regarding our big men, but I think it's clear Foumena is the best big man prospect.

Archie on Bliau
"Josaphat is a guy who is a little more school and well-versed in terms of experience because of his time at Wichita State and the junior college ranks. He brings great size to our front line, but he's also unique in that we believe he'll be able to play with other front court players and without."

Archie on Rory
"Rory is a guy who has really spent a lot of time honing his craft. He brings good size to the table at 6-8 and 230. He is a bone fide 3-point shooter with great range. You can't have enough of that skill level as you are molding your program's style of play. Rory is going to be a great fit for the way we want to run things, where he can pull defenders away from the basket. He will be able to give our other guys space on the floor to work with. Without question coming in the door, his 3-point shooting ability was something we really looked at."

Archie on Foumena
"Jeremy brings in tremendous size and length at 6-11 with more than a seven-foot wingspan. He has great speed and agility for a big guy. He can run the floor well and fits into an up-and-down style. As he evolves, he has the skill level to really shoot the ball, and he can put the ball down well for a big guy. Long term, he is somebody we look at as a major difference maker who can be one of the better frontcourt players in the country."

I think this is Foumena's frontcourt based on Archie's comments alone. I guess Bilau could start early since Foumena was late to camp and is an incoming freshman, but I'd be very surprised if he's not starting or getting starter minutes by conference play. He has too much upside to be on the bench. We need this season to be the developing year for many of our younger core pieces, so they come into the following season as more experienced D1 A10 players ready to take the next step! Go Rhody!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I initially thought he may RS this season, but now I feel he has a chance to get some decent minutes.

Based on some of the clips I've watched of our team practices, it looks like we already have some designed plays setup for Rory where our guards are driving, and he's hitting the elbow and corner 3.

After watching a lot of game tape, I agree we have some unknowns regarding our big men, but I think it's clear Foumena is the best big man prospect.

Archie on Bliau
"Josaphat is a guy who is a little more school and well-versed in terms of experience because of his time at Wichita State and the junior college ranks. He brings great size to our front line, but he's also unique in that we believe he'll be able to play with other front court players and without."

Archie on Rory

Archie on Foumena
"Jeremy brings in tremendous size and length at 6-11 with more than a seven-foot wingspan. He has great speed and agility for a big guy. He can run the floor well and fits into an up-and-down style. As he evolves, he has the skill level to really shoot the ball, and he can put the ball down well for a big guy. Long term, he is somebody we look at as a major difference maker who can be one of the better frontcourt players in the country."

I think this is Foumena's frontcourt based on Archie's comments alone. I guess Bilau could start early since Foumena was late to camp and is an incoming freshman, but I'd be very surprised if he's not starting or getting starter minutes by conference play. He has too much upside to be on the bench. We need this season to be the developing year for many of our younger core pieces, so they come into the following season as more experienced D1 A10 players ready to take the next step! Go Rhody!
Not to mention what Fren-Tchi or even Samb will bring to the table.

Curious to see how it all comes together and how Archie divides the minutes.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Archie on Bliau

Archie on Rory

Archie on Foumena

Not to mention what Fren-Tchi or even Samb will bring to the table.

Curious to see how it all comes together and how Archie divides the minutes.
I can't wait
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Archie on Rory
So am I wrong in saying that based on the size and skill set, we're hoping that he's a Peyton Aldridge type?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Rory Stewart

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Just watched some highlights. Stretch 4 who can shoot and pass very well. Great size and really good footwork. The type of player you see in a Davidson uniform. Hope we get him!
Looking back, apparently I'm not alone on my thinking
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sounds like he will be a key contributor. Another player who will be fun to watch develop under this staff’s tutelage.

There are some nice pieces on this team and some unknowns which should make it a very interesting season compare to the last few. My expectations for the upcoming season are mid-pack A10 for now but, nonetheless, I am really looking forward to watching this team develop and improve throughout the season. And, looking forward to the team maybe pulling off a surprise upset or two in the A10 Tourney.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago
Nice it’s always great to have a dead eye shooter he will get his minutes
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

3 types of Portalers:

1. Those whose mind was made up/ writing on the wall and will enter before even having end of year convo with Coach

2. Those who decide after those convos

3. Those who get a "bag" late in the process and change their mind

I don't think we have many that will fall into category 3. So I would expect 2 blips of portalers 1 hitting now and another in a few days once those meetings have concluded.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another one we all expected. Now it gets interesting, waiting to see who else puts their name in.
1 x