‘22 MD G/F Louis Hutchinson (URI —> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 22’ MD G/F Louis Hutchinson (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago This roster has a handful of players from a bad team, a guy no one really knows much about, and Freeman. Seems like there’s room for anyone who wants to come aboard.
I have never understood the idea that seems to have been accepted as fact here that one guy is being held up waiting for another guy that the staff is prioritizing more. I mean, I get from a player standpoint why that might be a factor but as far as the staff holding off a commitment it makes zero sense considering the current roster situation. Get as many talented guys in the door as you can and sort it out in the fall.
Archie wants to be fair and upfront with the recruits on expectations- especially transfer who are making their one no sit move. If a transfer believes he is going to start (or should) and he doesn’t you end up with an unhappy player probably looking to transfer again. I think it’s a lot different with a high school recruit.

Archie is building for the long haul. The three committed players all have four years of eligibility. Don’t expect a quick fix next year.
We will be good when we are good.
Right. As in, next season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just for total clarity.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago This roster has a handful of players from a bad team, a guy no one really knows much about, and Freeman. Seems like there’s room for anyone who wants to come aboard.
I have never understood the idea that seems to have been accepted as fact here that one guy is being held up waiting for another guy that the staff is prioritizing more. I mean, I get from a player standpoint why that might be a factor but as far as the staff holding off a commitment it makes zero sense considering the current roster situation. Get as many talented guys in the door as you can and sort it out in the fall.
Archie wants to be fair and upfront with the recruits on expectations- especially transfer who are making their one no sit move. If a transfer believes he is going to start (or should) and he doesn’t you end up with an unhappy player probably looking to transfer again. I think it’s a lot different with a high school recruit.

Archie is building for the long haul. The three committed players all have four years of eligibility. Don’t expect a quick fix next year.
Bray has 3 years left.
You probably mean Samb who is a RS Freshman with 4 years left.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Very good signing. Great upside and could be a steal considering just a few weeks ago he was going to stay at LUHI for a post grad season. LUHI plays a national schedule and just accepted an invite to the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference- many would argue the top conference in the Country. Luhi's top player Jayden Reid is a 23 who was just offered by VCU. I like Reid better than Jayden Pierre who committed to PC. Both first team NYS players. Hutch was third or fourth option on club. He just played Indy Session EYBL for Boo Williams and played really well. I think we will like this young man in Keaney Blue!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Bray has 3 years left.
Does Bray get a “covid year” for this past season?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Bray has 3 years left.
Does Bray get a “covid year” for this past season?
No, that was 2020
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t dispute any of that. Being upfront with a recruit and the recruit deciding to wait and see what happens is one thing; the staff holding the recruit off is another. My impression is that a lot of people here were insinuating that the latter was causing the hold up in getting a commitment from at least one player, and I never bought it. I would 100% buy the former, though, and I think that is way more likely to be what was going on there.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t dispute any of that. Being upfront with a recruit and the recruit deciding to wait and see what happens is one thing; the staff holding the recruit off is another. My impression is that a lot of people here were insinuating that the latter was causing the hold up in getting a commitment from at least one player, and I never bought it. I would 100% buy the former, though, and I think that is way more likely to be what was going on there.
If that was the case why would said player accept an in-home visit after and come back to do shooting drills at the school? Wouldn’t he just move on from that school altogether. Showing the shooting video at a school you that you rejected an offer at isn’t exactly a sound strategy to attract other offers.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

His own story about the injury he suffered and overcoming it.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago

Not only a great athlete, but a very intelligent and high character young man.
Extremely happy he is coming here.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Vary well done. Extremely impressed. I like this kid.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Have to root for a kid like that.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Remember Archie said he wanted a "smart" team. Starts with smart players.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great story he’s an easy guy to root for
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Well spoken, motivated. Looks quick. Big body. Looks all of 6'6. Duru has a questionable height attached to him and he's older. I think we're going to really love this kid.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Well spoken, motivated. Looks quick. Big body. Looks all of 6'6. Duru has a questionable height attached to him and he's older. I think we're going to really love this kid.
I love how he catches and shoots in the mid range , looks like he shouldn’t have a problem getting off his shot
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great video. Thanks for posting. As bad of an injury as that was, his basketball progress is much better than if it was lower body or his shooting arm.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I like players from perennial powerhouses and winning programs. LuHi fits that. Could it be a situation like Hassan where he was under recruited due to injury junior season. That turned out pretty well.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

My goodness, what an impressive and inspiring young man. I look forward to seeing him continue to grow in Kingston.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great video and inspiring story. Louis, I'm excited to watch you grow and succeed at URI! Can't wait.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

I am pretty sure I have my new favorite Ram. Lou Hutch!
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Great video. Can't wait for him to arrive on campus. URI is going to be a great place for him to grow as a man.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Feels like he is a future leader of the team.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Feels like he is a future leader of the team.
Seems like a very bright kid , going to rep URI well
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Reef, I lean towards what you posted above. And, who knows, maybe he will be the type that sticks and grows at one school.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

This guy’s attitude is so mature. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a regular part of the rotation from day one.

2 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘22 MD G/F Louis Hutchinson (URI Verbal Commit)

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

He's really well spoken. This is a guy I want to see in the starting lineup ASAP.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago This guy’s attitude is so mature. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a regular part of the rotation from day one.

Archie said Hutch isn’t ready yet but loaded with potential
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago This guy’s attitude is so mature. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a regular part of the rotation from day one.

Archie said Hutch isn’t ready yet but loaded with potential
Reclassified from '23.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is a redshirt candidate.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Louis Hutchinson
G/F | Fr.
6-7 | 185
Upper Marlboro, Md. | Long Island Lutheran
The first player to commit to the new Rhode Island staff, Hutchinson is a versatile wing with the ability to impact both ends of the floor. A team captain for coach John Buck's nationally-ranked Lutheran High program, Hutchinson led the team to an 18-5 record this year after missing his junior season. Hailing from a tremendously athletic family, Hutchinson's father was a Division I tennis player. His aunt was a basketball star at Clemson, his uncle played Division I football, and he has more than a dozen cousins who have played Division I sports. Serious in the classroom as well, both of Hutchinson's parents have doctoral degrees, while his sister Naya – who performed for Fordham's elite Alvin Ailey dance program – recently finished a master's degree.

Archie Miller on Louis Hutchinson
"Lou is an exciting kid which great character from a terrific family. He is tremendous in the classroom and excelled while playing for a terrific high school coach in John Buck. Lou is a unique combination of great length, quickness and skill. He is a versatile defender across the board, and offensively he's going to be able to play multiple positions for us. He has the ability to grow into a guy with deep range. He will add size to our wings."
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I like the comment about versatile defender. We have many of those on this Rhody team.

Defense may not be as sexy as offense but, I think I am going to enjoy watching this team grow together on the defensive end.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Wow can’t wait to watch Lou play for Rhody
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Interview starts at 49:05
2 x
Common sense is not common.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Appears to be an outstanding, high character young man with tons of potential. Proud to have him representing URI.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hutch has real good potential in the hard bb skills (shooting, defending), soft skills (maturity, attitude, IQ) and athleticism (height, length). The recipe ingredients are there for him to max his potential when you add strong coaching from Archie and staff. Could end up being a very good player for us. Another player I am looking forward to watch develop in the coming seasons.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With academics being so important to him, I wonder if he could be a rare (these days) 4 year player for us.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I would like to see that, 78.

There appears to be a method to Archie’s stealth madness.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago With academics being so important to him, I wonder if he could be a rare (these days) 4 year player for us.
I was thinking the same.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Man, I love this kid!

Just heard the interview w Hardesty, so grounded and smart.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lou is going to be one of those cornerstone type guys that we build a championship program around...
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Lou is going to be one of those cornerstone type guys that we build a championship program around...
He should play as a Fr then
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Lou is going to be one of those cornerstone type guys that we build a championship program around...
He can still be a cornerstone only playing big minutes as a soph-senior
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
He can still be a cornerstone only playing big minutes as a soph-senior
On a team next year expected to finish middle of the pack he should be playing plenty of minutes as a freshman then. EC Mathews, Jared Terrell and Jeff Dowtin all showed cornerstone ability their freshmen years
2 x