Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This kid is a professional. Making $400,000 per year guaranteed is a pro.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by bigappleram »

The comment under it is right. That isn’t NIL it’s a payoff.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The end of college hoops.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

NIL and Portal...This is the NEW NCAA
check out the CavinderTWinns. Transferred from Fresno State WBB to Miami. Quote from The Fresno Bee
"And they will be playing in a major media market that could add considerably to their national Name, Image and Likeness portfolio that includes endorsement deals already valued near or above seven figures."

This is just the beginning!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Even with top recruiters like Kenny Johnson and Duane Woodward, how can we compete with the big boys for recruits when there's money like that involved?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Even with top recruiters like Kenny Johnson and Duane Woodward, how can we compete with the big boys for recruits when there's money like that involved?
You can't, that is why the High-Majors will have a huge advantage.

In addition, the NCAAT committee favoring these conferences doesn't help matters for the smaller guys.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Even with top recruiters like Kenny Johnson and Duane Woodward, how can we compete with the big boys for recruits when there's money like that involved?
MoneyballHoopsPointOh?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

In addition, the NCAAT committee favoring these conferences doesn't help matters for the smaller guys.
So, why are we getting our hopes up that Archie is going to get some great players here?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

So, why are we getting our hopes up that Archie is going to get some great players here?
Not easy.

But there are many good players out there.
Keeping them will be more difficult.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

After seeing that, I'm not. Could be my days of being a hoops fan might be ending.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Think about how many Cartel schools are in tiny media markets like Manhattan, Kansas. How do they compete with big-market schools?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not easy.

How about keeping a coach who knows that he can no longer compete for top players?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We, URI has to foster sponsorship deals for athletes? well, that's a little wrinkle.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago Think about how many Cartel schools are in tiny media markets like Manhattan, Kansas. How do they compete with big-market schools?
Wealthy alumni or donors who hire these players to be in advertisements for their companies.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is a football NIL. This kid got $350,000 for signing when he was a Jr in high school. Potential to earn $8 million thru his Jr year in college.
https://www.si.com/college/2022/03/12/f ... -8-million
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not easy.

How about keeping a coach who knows that he can no longer compete for top players?
We understand that here all too well.

Archie is only 43 let's not pretend to think we will be his final stop.
Would hope so, but really doubt it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow things are starting to get out of control sucks for the mid majors like URI
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Lots of overreaction here. Vcu, Dayton, St Louis keep attracting talent without compensating players. Also people have to stop calling all things NIL. The deal this kid is getting isn’t bc he is worth that much in advertising for his name image and likeness (NIL) to any company. A huge donor owns the company and is funneling money through it to him. It’s legal now under the NIL laws but these aren’t business deals they are pay for play.

URI or any school can easily get in this game just requires some wealthy boosters. Form a collective, pool money together from donors, dole it out to recruits or current players to retain them. Have them do some no show jobs in return. That is what is more prevalent. Indiana and few other schools have formed these collectives. I think others will join.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Not easy.

We understand that here all too well.

Archie is only 43 let's not pretend to think we will be his final stop.
Would hope so, but really doubt it.
Sure, but it's one thing competing for a recruit with some of the top basketball schools or competing against big name coaches. When money enters into the equation, doesn't it become next to impossible to compete against them? (And yes, I know illegal money has happened forever, but now it's out in the open, so it's even harder).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't think it's quite as big of an issue as it may seem on the surface. Realistically the kids getting that kind of money in these deals were probably never coming to URI in the first place, with or without the cash thats out there now.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think it's quite as big of an issue as it may seem on the surface. Realistically the kids getting that kind of money in these deals were probably never coming to URI in the first place, with or without the cash thats out there now.
Exactly. When we lose a kid to VCU or Dayton or Seton Hall bc they got some crazy payday then we can be worried.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe Femi is going to get an NIL offer that URI can’t compete with.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe Femi is going to get an NIL offer that URI can’t compete with.
And that's my point. Even if we're not losing him to VCU or Dayton, we're still losing him. Whether it be St. John's (just throwing a name out there) or whoever, we lose him. Without the NIL money, we have a much better chance of getting him, in my opinion.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like was said, our big donors will have to step up in order to get better recruits.

The school did it's part. Now it's up to them.

Stuff like this isn't brand new that's for sure...it's just that the amount of money involved has increased exponentially.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Like was said, our big donors will have to step up in order to get better recruits.

The school did it's part. Now it's up to them.

Stuff like this isn't brand new that's for sure...it's just that the amount of money involved has increased exponentially.
As far as I know, we have 3 wealthy donors. How many times can you keep going back to them and say, "We need more"?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Jeff Goodman’s thought on the $400,000/year.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

This NIL topic led me to thinking that many past star college players must be saying “I wish we had NIL back when I was playing”, even though many of them are rich now. The first name that came to my mind was Shaq. We would have been in high demand.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Imho, NIL is ripe for abuse. And with legalized gambling money around, too…

Oh boy. Things are going to get sticky in the coming years. I expect Boston College type gambling stories (not necessarily the gambling aspect as much as the insidious behavior) to become more prevalent.

When there’s a lot of money floating around, it attracts some shady characters - like blood in the water for a shark. It’s a part of human nature. They will manipulate the system to push the parameters to their greater advantage.

I’m not against student athletes being compensated for use of their nil or freedom of movement. I see it as an opportunity for student athletes. However, I do expect the human nature of non-student athletes to abuse the new opportunities in ways and forms we do not yet anticipate.

Just my humble opinion on the risks to college sports in the near future.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

As a quick add to my post above: Although I expect negative consequences, I do also expect smart, creative college sports programs to adapt for the benefit of student athletes and their sports programs. I just don’t yet understand how. However, many here, who (whom?) understand the college sports landscape much better than me, will come up with ideas.

I also believe we have the right leadership at President, AD and HC to adapt to this new environment. Thankfully, everything worked out the way it did, when it did.

Excellent and timely thread. Thanks, 83.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I kind of think everything will be fine, but I realize I'm in the minority of this. More player movement (generally) increases competitiveness in sports. There's a reason why there have been less dynasties in professional sports as free agency has increased. Hell, Cincy played in the college football playoffs this year, and the Elite Eight had eight seed UNC, 10 seed Miami, 15 seed St. Peter's, and 5 seed Houston. You can have money for NILs, but it ultimately doesn't matter when there is so much available talent on the market.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

We can all thank the politicians for this one. NCAA plays a small part for maybe not being super proactive up-front but it’s absolutely pay for play.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Transparency. Good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Newly created NIL Billiken Exchange at St Louis is a new portal announced on April 19th

Yuri Collins returns to St Louis today, April 24

https://slubillikens.com/news/2022/4/19 ... letes.aspx
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Dear Recruit,
We have a fabulous arena to play in, a new practice facility, awesome weight room and an energized student and fan base!!!!!!!!!!

Recruit response.....Do you have a NIL Exchange?

The New NCAA
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 37 page, 919 reply "Yuri" thread on the St Louis Message Board is an interesting read.........

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.p ... /#comments
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Schools are forming Collectives. They seem even more direct than the exchange. Fans can pay a monthly subscription and the money gets funneled to the players.

Here are two examples:
Eddie Rojas, CEO of The Gator Collective and an unabashed Florida honk who went 10-1 as a pitcher for the Gators from 1999 to 2001. "I want to create an environment where Florida becomes NIL-U."

Rojas, 44, is also CEO of his own company, 401K Generation. He has 16 years experience in portfolio management and pension consulting with his company currently managing $3.28 billion in assets. To do his part in the NIL race, The Gator Collective has been established as a sort-of subscription service. Starting at $5.99 (up to $999.99) a month, Gators fans get exclusive autographs, interviews and even personal appearances.

The Clark Field Collective at Texas is paying Longhorns offensive linemen $50,000 each … basically just for being Texas offensive linemen. To date, it has not been ruled to be an NCAA violation.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Maybe college basketball will become better overall by retaining more players with less players going professional while they still have eligibility remaining.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Schools are forming Collectives. They seem even more direct than the exchange. Fans can pay a monthly subscription and the money gets funneled to the players.

Here are two examples:
Eddie Rojas, CEO of The Gator Collective and an unabashed Florida honk who went 10-1 as a pitcher for the Gators from 1999 to 2001. "I want to create an environment where Florida becomes NIL-U."

Rojas, 44, is also CEO of his own company, 401K Generation. He has 16 years experience in portfolio management and pension consulting with his company currently managing $3.28 billion in assets. To do his part in the NIL race, The Gator Collective has been established as a sort-of subscription service. Starting at $5.99 (up to $999.99) a month, Gators fans get exclusive autographs, interviews and even personal appearances.

The Clark Field Collective at Texas is paying Longhorns offensive linemen $50,000 each … basically just for being Texas offensive linemen. To date, it has not been ruled to be an NCAA violation.
83, managing collectives 101 could be an interesting class. 😁

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Will the collectives be strictly independent of the schools? Will they become a tool for alumni engagement, financial support for student athletes only or become financial support for program enhancements as a whole? Will collectives attract casual, non-alumni fans to maximize financial impact?

With change comes opportunity.

Maybe one of our kids or grandkids will be the first, professional college sports collective administrator on behalf of Rhody Basketball? 😁

Go Rhody!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago We can all thank the politicians for this one. NCAA plays a small part for maybe not being super proactive up-front but it’s absolutely pay for play.
NCAA is to blame. They kept their head in the sand thinking they'd be able to keep their model going forever, refused to make any proactive changes once they started losing lawsuits based on the illegality of their model, then eventually threw up their hands and said there's nothing we can do instead of setting guidelines that would have made sense and been legal
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Schools are forming Collectives. They seem even more direct than the exchange. Fans can pay a monthly subscription and the money gets funneled to the players.

Here are two examples:

83, managing collectives 101 could be an interesting class. 😁

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Will the collectives be strictly independent of the schools? Will they become a tool for alumni engagement, financial support for student athletes only or become financial support for program enhancements as a whole? Will collectives attract casual, non-alumni fans to maximize financial impact?

With change comes opportunity.
Based on the small increase in tix prices and the uproar, I'm guessing this fan base will not support NIL.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

DeanDome88 wrote: 2 years ago Maybe college basketball will become better overall by retaining more players with less players going professional while they still have eligibility remaining.
DD, if sufficient money is available (and, I have no idea what amount would be sufficient), I think it is possible a student athlete could defer going pro (overseas, G League, NBA). Unfortunately, I don’t think that would impact movement from school to school much.

Imagine being a young athlete today? You can go to college, live away from home, play sports, get paid, obtain an education and - if you so desire - do that at 2 or 3 different schools in different parts of the country in a four year period. Maybe finish your last year near home in front of family and friends. Wow. To be young again! I’d strongly consider staying four years under those circumstances unless I was one of the best of the best like a LeBron James, Bo Jackson, etc.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Does this end scholarships as we know them? Or do they become redefined?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here are two examples:

I kind of love this idea. Fans get something out of it and the players get what they deserve.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

John Daly's son — who has played one college golf tournament — signs NIL deal with Hooters

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/g ... /50089325/
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hooters and golf…a match made in heaven.

I’ll voluntarily go sit in the penalty box for a self-imposed 2 minute misconduct post penalty. :D
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
I wonder how Frank Martin signed 5 transfers from P6 schools.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I mean didn’t David Cox sign 4 (Walker, Carey, Mitchell twins) a couple years ago with no NIL and with no national cache like Martin has.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It’s cachet, people, not cache.

Sincerely,
Your Grammar Nazi
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I mean didn’t David Cox sign 4 (Walker, Carey, Mitchell twins) a couple years ago with no NIL and with no national cache like Martin has.
Not two weeks after taking a new job and not with the NIL $ in place. That tweet is from the UMass Associate AD. He is saying “we have more money to pay platers”.
0 x