Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago The third, or more side, I can see potential negatives if the player and amounts were disclosed with player X missing the game critical front end of 1 and1 and then fans saying…… “we are paying in what….” I am sure this angle has been discussed. I guess it is the way of the world now, but put me down for not liking it, and probably won’t give to it as currently structured. Out.
When you get paid, you're a professional. When you're a pro and goof up, yes, sometimes people will refer to your salary. Part of the territory.

I think making those numbers public...the students/fans will come up with some really amusing ways to use them at games.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love the addition of Stone with regards to NIL , this is huge for the future
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Love the addition of Stone with regards to NIL , this is huge for the future
Also for the present. If Tom and David are willing to put resources into having a dedicated guy running it, then I think that means that they're willing to put a lot more into it as well.

Also, having Stone in here tells me that there will be a lot more reasons to want to donate to NIL.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It is absolutely imperative that the NIT funds get as big as possible.

Some might not care since we suck so bad right now. But that attitude will only result in making sure we will continue to suck.

We have to give Archie the best chance to succeed

I have always donated to the mens and womens teams the normal way, but like others are starting to do, giving to the NIL coffers will be a priority for me now with my funds becoming more limited as time goes on
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago It is absolutely imperative that the NIT funds get as big as possible.

Some might not care since we suck so bad right now. But that attitude will only result in making sure we will continue to suck.

I have always donated to the mens and womens teams the normal way, but like others are starting to do, giving to the NIL coffers will be a priority for me now with my funds becoming more limited as time goes on
Yep! We have no choice but to do our part! As long as you aren't completely dirt poor, everyone can at least give 10 dollars a month.

I get that Arch needs to prove more on the court, but us true fanatics gotta be behind him every step of the way to help them.

I really love that fans can more directly influence their teams success and you get some perks too!
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Well OK. I guess if I am contributing to it(NIL)I have no expectation that where it goes?
Most likely can’t expect to know who is getting how much, just that it’s going to mens basketball.
OK thanks. I realize NIL money goes to more than hoops. When I see and hear other places with player X getting Y NIL, I guess that is leaked or disclosed. I would expect NIL administration costs are kept at a minimum. But when I am asked to dig deeper into my pockets, already donated to and season tickets, I would like some accountability of the funds to whom and how much. I am probably way out of step here. I get that. I think Stone has a challenging uphill climbin the URI environment.
RHODY Excellence is only men’s and women’s basketball. The other sports have their own.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago It is absolutely imperative that the NIT funds get as big as possible.

Yep! We have no choice but to do our part! As long as you aren't completely dirt poor, everyone can at least give 10 dollars a month.

I get that Arch needs to prove more on the court, but us true fanatics gotta be behind him every step of the way to help them.

I really love that fans can more directly influence their teams success and you get some perks too!
$10 dollars a month?? Seriously? You probably spend $28 bucks a game on beer.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 month ago

$10 dollars a month?? Seriously? You probably spend $28 bucks a game on beer.
There’s different levels. Starts at $10 per month, goes up to $1K per month.

The more you contribute, the more perks you get.

https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Think we're moving away from the initial intention? We need NYG's GM desperately.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

Think we're moving away from the initial intention? We need NYG's GM desperately.
I believe I brought GM up first. We need a GM to select the team and a coach to make them win.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 month ago

Really good find , unfortunately for us we probably won’t qualify for that tournament for awhile
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Definitely moving away from the initial intention, but that's still pretty cool! What a great opportunity. I wonder why St. Joe's is in the mix?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago Definitely moving away from the initial intention, but that's still pretty cool! What a great opportunity. I wonder why St. Joe's is in the mix?
Some posts say St John’s, some have St Joes. Who knows.
0 x
Go Rhody
BobfromMatunuck
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BobfromMatunuck »

We need to work together to build the collective. Tell your friends about what is being built in Kingston. Next year’s product in the court is being built now. Trust
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If this thing comes to be and continues, wonder if there will be a team that turns down NCAA bid for the money? Or the timing of selection Sunday and these invites? What am I missing ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Why have a limit on scholarships now? When you can pay a walk-on $150k a year?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago If this thing comes to be and continues, wonder if there will be a team that turns down NCAA bid for the money? Or the timing of selection Sunday and these invites? What am I missing ?
The article mentions the tournament will be "in the fall" so it sounds like more of an early season tournament and not a postseason tournament that would compete with the NCAA Tournament.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago If this thing comes to be and continues, wonder if there will be a team that turns down NCAA bid for the money? Or the timing of selection Sunday and these invites? What am I missing ?
The article mentions the tournament will be "in the fall" so it sounds like more of an early season tournament and not a postseason tournament that would compete with the NCAA Tournament.
Yea it’s just going to be another MTE, won’t interfere with the tournament.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago Why have a limit on scholarships now? When you can pay a walk-on $150k a year?
The coaches will be choosing how much money each player gets.

Walk-ons will not be getting 150K.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago
Yea it’s just going to be another MTE, won’t interfere with the tournament.
Thanks for clarification
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago Why have a limit on scholarships now? When you can pay a walk-on $150k a year?

The coaches decide? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think the coaches are giving anything to the collective. Why should they decide?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The coaches decide? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think the coaches are giving anything to the collective. Why should they decide?
Maybe the teams GM will decide?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Maybe the team's GM will decide?
That's the ticket ;) I don't think I want the coach deciding. Not because he's not capable, but, because he has enough to do already
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ok.
Attachments
IMG_7482.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ok.
Awesome. This is going to be a super cluster. Can't wait. The coach distributing the money...THAT is high-larious.
I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

steviep123 wrote: 1 month ago
Maybe one year, but two?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So estimated that the American, Mountain West, WCC, and Atlantic 10 will be looking at about $200,000 to $1.25 million in NIL money per team and $25,000 to $300,000 per starter, though most starters won't be near the $300,000 mark.

We now have a stated goal of being in the top quartile of all A10 men's and women's basketball programs when it comes to NIL. With that as a stated goal we should be looking at over $500,000 for the team and about $75,000 per starter with the men's program.

I personally would be shocked if we can generate $500,000+ per year for NIL. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago

So estimated that the American, Mountain West, WCC, and Atlantic 10 will be looking at about $200,000 to $1.25 million in NIL money per team and $25,000 to $300,000 per starter, though most starters won't be near the $300,000 mark.

We now have a stated goal of being in the top quartile of all A10 men's and women's basketball programs when it comes to NIL. With that as a stated goal we should be looking at over $500,000 for the team and about $75,000 per starter with the men's program.

I personally would be shocked if we can generate $500,000+ per year for NIL. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised
Thank our big time benefactors, as they've communicated that that is their goal, to be above that number and competitive. But it can't all be them.

Instead of being pleasantly surprised, just get everyone on this board to donate $10/month. That's $1.2M per year.

We always talk about how bullshit the new college basketball landscape is...but the best thing about it, is that WE...literally the posters on this message board...can do something about it.

$10 a month. $25 a month. That doesn't seem like it would break the bank. And if this board did it as a block, we'd be one of the top funded teams in the conference.

For everyone that complains about the talent level on this team, it's clear there's a market and a price. If we want those guys? Give some money and we can get them...

https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You can hate it or you can love it, but this is the current state of play of college basketball. Want to move toward the top of the A10 standings? We've got the infrastructure, we have the coach, we have the fanbase. Now we need boosters and fans to generate $500,000+ for NIL. If not the other stuff doesn't matter nearly as much. You get the team you're willing to invest in
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just joined for a monthly contribution, is there no user profile though?

Seems odd that if you donate, there isn't an account that you have made where you login and see recent contributions, articles, updates, perks, Rhody excellence store, blah blah blah you get the picture.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Just joined for a monthly contribution, is there no user profile though?

Seems odd that if you donate, there isn't an account that you have made where you login and see recent contributions, articles, updates, perks, Rhody excellence store, blah blah blah you get the picture.
It really needs to be fleshed out more and more perks for contributing. The hope is bringing it back in-state with Stone Freeman being the point person that will begin to happen
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Just joined for a monthly contribution, is there no user profile though?

Actually a fair point.

As a rebuttal to that - the contributions from the general community outside of our small circle of large donors - were quite small in numbers. There wasn't enough of a paying public to warrant the investment.

That said, if you get more people contributing - then maybe you'll start to see more back-end perks.

Crawl before walk - but the more Rhody15's who start making their monthly contributions, the more benefits we all get!
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It really needs to be fleshed out more and more perks for contributing. The hope is bringing it back in-state with Stone Freeman being the point person that will begin to happen
The perks are listed under each level of contribution, but one would assume there is a user profile once you enter your email address. Did not have to create a password either which make me think there is no user profile.

When I click "log in" on their home page, it says to enter your email to get transferred to your "user portal."

Email is entered, in which this follows "If ______ is active with Rhody Excellence, you'll receive a link. The link will be active for 30 minutes."

No link has been sent to my email. Have entered it 3 times.

They can hire whoever the hell they want, talk a big game, but if there still are these simple problems happening, people aren't going to donate.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

Actually a fair point.

As a rebuttal to that - the contributions from the general community outside of our small circle of large donors - were quite small in numbers. There wasn't enough of a paying public to warrant the investment.

That said, if you get more people contributing - then maybe you'll start to see more back-end perks.

Crawl before walk - but the more Rhody15's who start making their monthly contributions, the more benefits we all get!
Each level gets you a discount to the online Rhody Excellence store. Does this even exist? Can't find it anywhere.

They'll charge my credit card the second I click "subscribe" and then poof, it's as it nothing ever happened.

No welcome email, cannot access the user portal (which I doubt even exists), can't find the Rhody Excellence store.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

That's the ticket ;) I don't think I want the coach deciding. Not because he's not capable, but, because he has enough to do already
Either way, isn’t (shouldn’t) the money go to the players that earn it? Or how it is distributed?
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 month ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

Either way, isn’t (shouldn’t) the money go to the players that earn it? Or how it is distributed?
Absolutely. Now, who decides that? Maybe each team should vote shares like baseball does for the playoffs
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Actually a fair point.

Each level gets you a discount to the online Rhody Excellence store. Does this even exist? Can't find it anywhere.

They'll charge my credit card the second I click "subscribe" and then poof, it's as it nothing ever happened.

No welcome email, cannot access the user portal (which I doubt even exists), can't find the Rhody Excellence store.
I’d say be patient as this new collective with Stone running things is in its infancy.

I trust that they’ll be doing a lot of this development on the fly and as the donor pool grows. This is the ground floor, so encourage more sign ups and I’m sure more benefits will follow.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Actually a fair point.

I’d say be patient as this new collective with Stone running things is in its infancy.

I trust that they’ll be doing a lot of this development on the fly and as the donor pool grows. This is the ground floor, so encourage more sign ups and I’m sure more benefits will follow.
Yea I don’t have an issue with the perks being behind.

However, if they’re saying to enter your email to get to your user portal, you should be able to get to your portal.

Don’t think that’s asking too much.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Update with an email from Stone, don’t know if this is auto generated and sent to everyone and whatnot.

Seems like they are aware of the login problem.
Attachments
IMG_7494.jpeg
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Update with an email from Stone, don’t know if this is auto generated and sent to everyone and whatnot.

I got it too.

They - and when I say "they" I mean Stone specifically, on behalf of our big donors - are paying a lot of attention to this. Everything about this.

The new collective that they have launched with Stone, is a complete new build. The website. The marketing. The focus. All of it.

There will be growing pains, but they will be alleviated in a commiserate fashion with the amount of focus the fanbase invests. And I mean that both in terms of number of donors and the amount of donations. The more people and dollars at stake, the more benefits that will come to the members.

Just the fact that we're having this conversation and the other members of the board are reading it and hopefully signing up, is a good thing for our program moving forward.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With all this money being thrown at kids/young adults, I wonder if any teams employ a financial advisor? A lot of times when a 19, 20, 21 year old go from having no money to all of a sudden having 50,000, 100,000 or more (or less in our case), it doesn't always go well.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I have followed big time NIL collectives, mostly Tennessee's and I can tell you that what Stone is starting up here is right in line with what the big boys are doing right now.

They get it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Update with an email from Stone, don’t know if this is auto generated and sent to everyone and whatnot.

I got it too.

They - and when I say "they" I mean Stone specifically, on behalf of our big donors - are paying a lot of attention to this. Everything about this.

The new collective that they have launched with Stone, is a complete new build. The website. The marketing. The focus. All of it.

There will be growing pains, but they will be alleviated in a commiserate fashion with the amount of focus the fanbase invests. And I mean that both in terms of number of donors and the amount of donations. The more people and dollars at stake, the more benefits that will come to the members.

Just the fact that we're having this conversation and the other members of the board are reading it and hopefully signing up, is a good thing for our program moving forward.
This is all great, but it really makes you wonder what we were doing before this. And since it seems the answer is not a whole hell of a lot it makes you wonder how much we wasted for that
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago With all this money being thrown at kids/young adults, I wonder if any teams employ a financial advisor? A lot of times when a 19, 20, 21 year old go from having no money to all of a sudden having 50,000, 100,000 or more (or less in our case), it doesn't always go well.
I mean, this is arguably a class that should be given to all students instead of URI 101, or as part of that curriculum. There isn't a huge emphasis on financial literacy in this country, so you're typically SOL unless you're pushed toward a personal finance class in high school, or if your parents make it an emphasis point. I don't know what the options are for a basketball-specific course or educational session, but it would be good if our coaching staff was doing it.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago With all this money being thrown at kids/young adults, I wonder if any teams employ a financial advisor? A lot of times when a 19, 20, 21 year old go from having no money to all of a sudden having 50,000, 100,000 or more (or less in our case), it doesn't always go well.
I mean, this is arguably a class that should be given to all students instead of URI 101, or as part of that curriculum. There isn't a huge emphasis on financial literacy in this country, so you're typically SOL unless you're pushed toward a personal finance class in high school, or if your parents make it an emphasis point. I don't know what the options are for a basketball-specific course or educational session, but it would be good if our coaching staff was doing it.
Not the coaches job, they’re already doing enough. Can’t add financial advisor to their plate.

They already have a tutors, academic advisors, etc etc. It should comes from those people, not the coaches.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's become pretty clear by now, that this NIL collective will absolutely be vital to the recruiting of the necessary talent needed.

Like it or not. Either run with the big boys, or lose out.

I'm sure Archie has already found this out the hard way.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder what Dayton's NIL fund will be?

With that huge and rabid fan base, my guess would be 7 figures plus.

VCU's also. A million might be too much for us, but we will need to be somewhat close to that to compete with them.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 month ago
Not the coaches job, they’re already doing enough. Can’t add financial advisor to their plate.

They already have a tutors, academic advisors, etc etc. It should comes from those people, not the coaches.
Yeah - I'm using "coaches" nebulously there, to also include support staff. I would hope there are some basketball-specific courses or information sessions provided for them, on things like "how to pick an agent" and "what's a fair contract value for various European basketball leagues." I have no clue, though. For journalism classes, Public Affairs Reporting at URI kind of got into some of the real-life issues you'd see in the field, but that wasn't a required course and not the main focus of the course either. My current college doesn't really do much to prep graduates for field-specific real-life issues they'll run into. It is what it is.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I got it too.

This is all great, but it really makes you wonder what we were doing before this. And since it seems the answer is not a whole hell of a lot it makes you wonder how much we wasted for that
My gut reaction is "who cares" - it certainly wasn't being run well (for the 1 year it was in operation) so they immediately made a change.

I'm more encouraged than discouraged. The old version of the collective went off the Jerry D, but this time we fired Jerry D after 1 season instead of two.

"We" didn't "waste" anything, because as far as I know there weren't a huge amount of donors besides myself contributing to NIL. (It wasn't hard to take attendance at the events) Thankfully for us; Tom, David, Mike, and the rest of our big guns care enough to a) contribute 99% of the NIL funding, and b) wanted to invest even more to help build the collective into a self-sustaining entity instead of those guys just giving all the money every year.

They're certainly still giving, but they can't do it by themselves. If everyone else is chipping in the quality of our program will go up exponentially.

Instead of doing the thing where we complain about everything that's gone wrong, let's celebrate the fact that we're doing something right and jump on board. We all win.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL