Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I can remember when college basketball was fun. Right now, I have a headache.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Each individual fan should do what they are comfortable with. Personally, I am not going to go back to work to fund the NIL contract of a great college basketball player. The program needs all the fans it has and more. I would never throw shade at someone for just buying tickets and doing 50/50 raffles, visiting the concession stands etc like most fans participate in. The athletic department needs all the revenue it can get. I would not mind if contributions to the NIL collective determined seat availability. In the past, it looked like the NCAA was not going to let that happen. I have not kept up on that point although URI already factors in donations to the athletic department.

I have always attended URI sporting events when I have lived in the local area. I have had season tickets in the past for several years of awful basketball and some quite entertaining football. We cut back to a 5 game package this past season for basketball because of my brother's work schedule but really have enjoyed the football games in the fall. I have never gone to a season ticket holder event for either sport because frankly that stuff does not float my boat. Never picked up my Archie Bobble Head either because I did not want one. I enjoy the games and of course it is much funner when we can beat good competition.

I'm aware that the URI basketball ticket prices would be very good if the team was actually decent and feel like football is a bargain. I'm also fairly certain they will take us for every last dollar they can get once the basketball team improves. Ticket prices could easily double before the end of this decade.

It really is a college basketball arms race and even if you do not think it is already a bit ridiculous eventually it may get to a point that you think is too much. I'm grateful to all of the people who want to participate in that race but quite honestly before I ever gave 30 grand a year or more to the program I'd be heading to Boston to watch the Celtics and some of the best players in the world.

I'm still deciding how much I am willing to contribute to the Collective but it is not going to be some crazy amount.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago Each individual fan should do what they are comfortable with. Personally, I am not going to go back to work to fund the NIL contract of a great college basketball player. The program needs all the fans it has and more. I would never throw shade at someone for just buying tickets and doing 50/50 raffles, visiting the concession stands etc like most fans participate in. The athletic department needs all the revenue it can get. I would not mind if contributions to the NIL collective determined seat availability. In the past, it looked like the NCAA was not going to let that happen. I have not kept up on that point although URI already factors in donations to the athletic department.

I have always attended URI sporting events when I have lived in the local area. I have had season tickets in the past for several years of awful basketball and some quite entertaining football. We cut back to a 5 game package this past season for basketball because of my brother's work schedule but really have enjoyed the football games in the fall. I have never gone to a season ticket holder event for either sport because frankly that stuff does not float my boat. Never picked up my Archie Bobble Head either because I did not want one. I enjoy the games and of course it is much funner when we can beat good competition.

I'm aware that the URI basketball ticket prices would be very good if the team was actually decent and feel like football is a bargain. I'm also fairly certain they will take us for every last dollar they can get once the basketball team improves. Ticket prices could easily double before the end of this decade.

It really is a college basketball arms race and even if you do not think it is already a bit ridiculous eventually it may get to a point that you think is too much. I'm grateful to all of the people who want to participate in that race but quite honestly before I ever gave 30 grand a year or more to the program I'd be heading to Boston to watch the Celtics and some of the best players in the world.

I'm still deciding how much I am willing to contribute to the Collective but it is not going to be some crazy amount.
Why not give it to a player directly?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sorry, but back to my accountability concerns. The Collective Annual Report would be available to “members, stockholders” etc that contributed? And include things like player X listed with Y amounts? Doubt it.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago

So, who directs the money? Who decides if it goes to football, or mens hoops, or women's hoops? The coach(es)? The AD? The Collective?
#scam

They should do it like golf outing prizes...you buy a bunch of tickets and put them in the bag of the prize you want most.
You go online to the collective and you donate money directly to whatever player you want.
Rhody Excellence is the collective for women's and men's basketball only. Other teams can and some do have their own NIL group.
Got it. Does the donor get to decide if their RE donation goes to men's or women's hoops? If so, and all want their cash to go to the men's team, will the collective face Title IX problems?
Yea, I for one want my monthly contribution to go 100% to men’s basketball but there doesn’t seem to be a way to assure that as of now.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Mmmmmmmm, makes me wanna donate more than ever, who wouldn’t ? More questions than answers.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

Rhody Excellence is the collective for women's and men's basketball only. Other teams can and some do have their own NIL group.
Got it. Does the donor get to decide if their RE donation goes to men's or women's hoops? If so, and all want their cash to go to the men's team, will the collective face Title IX problems?
Yea, I for one want my monthly contribution to go 100% to men’s basketball but there doesn’t seem to be a way to assure that as of now.
#scam...scam to make some fans feel good
0 x
Don_Keedick
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Don_Keedick »

How is the collective a scam? Do you want a good basketball team? The money will go to the right places all to benefit the university of Rhode Island athletics
4 x
Ed Cooley is a pervert!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don_Keedick wrote: 1 month ago

How is the collective a scam? Do you want a good basketball team? The money will go to the right places all to benefit the university of Rhode Island athletics
It's supposed to be generating money for the previously hosed ath-uh-lete. So, it's going to take the 'new pie' money from the fans and get that to the players, you know, so the U can have a better team...for a price. Just have the players do their own go fund mes, cut out the middle man.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago Sorry, but back to my accountability concerns. The Collective Annual Report would be available to “members, stockholders” etc that contributed? And include things like player X listed with Y amounts? Doubt it.
yeah, that would be 'transparency'....I don't believe that's part of the equation, or doesn't seem to be anyway
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Don_Keedick wrote: 1 month ago

It's not a scam at all. 100% false NYG..

After I increased my donation this week, Thorr and Stone both contacted me on the same day. I'll admit that in the last few years, that didn't happen. After talking with them and some others, I can tell they are really trying to fix this program and are motivated to do whatever it takes to get us back in the NCAA tournament. I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I bleed Rhody blue, and if I can, I'll donate. Most of the people on this board love this team like I do, so I hope most of you can do the same, even if it's just $10 a month.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I am green with understanding NIL for this scenario:

- donate $ directly to the program OR donate $ to NIL. Or both?

Is there a determined formula yet?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 month ago I am green with understanding NIL for this scenario:

I’d say in order of importance:

1. Both program and NIL
2. Only NIL
3. Only program
0 x
Go Rhody
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 month ago I am green with understanding NIL for this scenario:

I do both. Not a huge amount to be transparent. Trying to do my part.

On another note, funny to me that some of the most vocal people on this board are some of the same people who are making excuses to not contribute to the NIL...
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How about Cam Estevez gives me an autographed pic and I give him 50 bucks? Then I know my money is going where I want it to go.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago How about Cam Estevez gives me an autographed pic and I give him 50 bucks? Then I know my money is going where I want it to go.
Here ya go.

$38 for an Estevez autograph.

Can pay the players directly for whatever you’d like.

Autographs, appearances, social media post, video messages, etc etc.

Don’t think it’s been updated recently because they still have Malik and Foumena however.

Don’t know if people here knew this was a thing.

https://opendorse.com/rhodeisland-rams
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

EZ Buckets shoulda got NIL $$
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 1 month ago

On another note, funny to me that some of the most vocal people on this board are some of the same people who are making excuses to not contribute to the NIL...
I get it that fans need to make a decision whether to give to the University, NIL or both. I also understand that young alum may not have any extra to do any of it.

Also, the donations to URI are tax deductible, while the donations to the Collective are not. EXCEPT...Contributions to the Collective may be tax deductible if you own a company and use it as a marketing expense. (For example, a player tweets about your restaurant or landscaping company, etc.)

Personally, I think the tickets to URI basketball games are very reasonable.

I want a better product.
I want to feel the way we did in the glory days of Hurley.
I want to walk out of the Ryan center smiling.
I want to watch the nets being cut down at the Ryan after securing the conference champs.
I want the excitement of going to the A10s with a large group of fans, having a great chance of winning.
I want to experience another Selection Sunday with the team.

I am willing and able to contribute to get back there.
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago How about Cam Estevez gives me an autographed pic and I give him 50 bucks? Then I know my money is going where I want it to go.
That sounds like a totally reasonable transaction.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago
That sounds like a totally reasonable transaction.
Anyone can do that. Right here.

https://opendorse.com/rhodeisland-rams
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Was wondering how much in compensation and benefits the typical URI player now gets and decided to put something together. These numbers are just some ballpark figures.

Stipend $6,000 (NCAA allows up to $5,980)
NIL $30,000 (URI avg - see below)
Tuition/Room & Board $50,000 (out of state URI cost to attend)
Total Avg: $86,000

Would think NIL shares likely have a wide fluctuation. It would then seem very plausible that some of the 18-24 year old URI players are probably presently getting a compensation & benefits package exceeding $100,000. With the pool of NIL money likely to dramatically increase all around the game, this will in turn trickle down to URI. One would think that some URI men's basketball players will therefore soon see some big jumps in their compensation and benefits.

NIL - it has been previously reported that URI players were being paid a total pool of approximately $400,000 for their NIL rights (PC is over $1M). There are potentially 13 scholarship players for these funds to be distributed amongst. If this were averaged out, that would equate to about $30,000 per player. It is however thought that starters or other players that log significant minutes likely get a larger share.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Was wondering how much in compensation and benefits the typical URI player now gets and decided to put something together. These numbers are just some ballpark figures.

Would think NIL shares likely have a wide fluctuation. It would then seem very plausible that some of the 18-24 year old URI players are probably presently getting a compensation & benefits package exceeding $100,000. With the pool of NIL money likely to dramatically increase all around the game, this will in turn trickle down to URI. One would think that some URI men's basketball players will therefore soon see some big jumps in their compensation and benefits.

NIL - it has been previously reported that URI players were being paid a total pool of approximately $400,000 for their NIL rights (PC is over $1M). There are potentially 13 scholarship players for these funds to be distributed amongst. If this were averaged out, that would equate to about $30,000 per player. It is however thought that starters or other players that log significant minutes likely get a larger share.
Right. And Rory and Fou were looking at pay cuts next season when the money is distrubuted. So, they're leaving. It's just a huge business now with thousands of employees. It's all about the money.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

BleedBlue87 wrote: 1 month ago

I get it that fans need to make a decision whether to give to the University, NIL or both. I also understand that young alum may not have any extra to do any of it.

Also, the donations to URI are tax deductible, while the donations to the Collective are not. EXCEPT...Contributions to the Collective may be tax deductible if you own a company and use it as a marketing expense. (For example, a player tweets about your restaurant or landscaping company, etc.)

Personally, I think the tickets to URI basketball games are very reasonable.

I want a better product.
I want to feel the way we did in the glory days of Hurley.
I want to walk out of the Ryan center smiling.
I want to watch the nets being cut down at the Ryan after securing the conference champs.
I want the excitement of going to the A10s with a large group of fans, having a great chance of winning.
I want to experience another Selection Sunday with the team.

I am willing and able to contribute to get back there.
You’re one good woman, LTR!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I asked this question on the “where are they now” thread but thought this might be the better thread to post under.

What (if anything) is something boosters can do for some of our basketball alums?

I have a specific scenario and will not divulge the name(s) but anyone willing to discuss please PM me or contact me on any of my social handles.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Donated tonight to Rhody Excellence, need everyone on this board contributing. LFG!
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago From the website Q&A:
DOES RHODY EXCELLENCE WORK WITH RECRUITS OR PROSPECTIVE STUDENT-ATHLETES?
No – In compliance with NIL regulations, Rhody Excellence will not meet with, contact, offer a deal, etc. to any prospective student-athlete. Until a student-athlete has signed their NLI and/or the institution has received a deposit of financial aid, they will not be contacted by Rhody Excellence.

If we are still playing by these rules the collective will not be successful. If no longer true update the darn website.
Just to clarify, you're saying that if it's no longer true and we're not playing by the rules we should advertise it on our website? I've heard some crazy ideas on here but this one's special
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago That, if true, doesn’t make me comfortable and confident the money will go where intended. Meaning the collective won’t be following its own rules a. Nice.
So you'd rather we announce NCAA violations on the website so at least we're following our own rules?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago

We do not need to "save face". The court rulings are in the books. Are they going for it or not? Quit sending mixed signals if you want to raise money!
Kids will know what they’d be getting before committing. That is a fact.

It may not DIRECTLY from Rhody Excellence, but the message with get through to the recruit before signing.

Assistant coaches, other boosters, support staff, etc etc will replay the message.
The courts have already ruled and enjoined the NCAA from enforcing the ban on contacting recruits with NIL opportunities. So the Collective can contact recruits, and offer NIL deals prior to the recruit committing.
They haven't ruled. They issued a temporary order. Massive difference
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Too much lawyering for my simple mind....
The collective has said....they are not contacting recruits. It's what they said. Should people not believe them?

How does that align with "This is not dispositive of the fact that Rhody Excellence is not contracting recruits."
I mean, we all know they CAN contact recruits, but they have said they are not.
Are you implying that the collective may be lying? Like, it's some kind of wink wink nudge nudge organization?
(Not a lawyer, or a Holiday Inn Express fan, so I may have misconstrued what you meant.)
Sorry, long day of lawyering.

I am saying that article does not prove that the Collective is now contacting recruits. And I will tell you with confidence that I do not believe that the Collective is contacting recruits.
So, who directs the money? Who decides if it goes to football, or mens hoops, or women's hoops? The coach(es)? The AD? The Collective?
#scam

They should do it like golf outing prizes...you buy a bunch of tickets and put them in the bag of the prize you want most.
You go online to the collective and you donate money directly to whatever player you want.
The collective has already said it's only being directed to the basketball programs at the current time. As to how that's allocated between the two programs I don't know
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago Was wondering how much in compensation and benefits the typical URI player now gets and decided to put something together. These numbers are just some ballpark figures.

Cost to attend is a bullshit number that almost nobody pays
0 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

As Rhody Vault said URI has plenty of NIL money to spend. Need to utilize it to bring the program back to where to needs to be!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Cost to attend is a bullshit number that almost nobody pays

It is still a benefit that has numeric dollar value to the recipient. If it is bullshit, would you have turned down a completely free college education had it been offered to you?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I didn't turn it down. It doesn't mean that number has any real value in determining benefits. Like I didn't factor in that number while I was working in the Rams Den. I wasn't sitting there at 7 in the morning saying, "you know, this job sucks, but when you factor in my scholarship I'm actually making $30 an hour" or whatever number
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago From the website Q&A:
DOES RHODY EXCELLENCE WORK WITH RECRUITS OR PROSPECTIVE STUDENT-ATHLETES?
No – In compliance with NIL regulations, Rhody Excellence will not meet with, contact, offer a deal, etc. to any prospective student-athlete. Until a student-athlete has signed their NLI and/or the institution has received a deposit of financial aid, they will not be contacted by Rhody Excellence.

If we are still playing by these rules the collective will not be successful. If no longer true update the darn website.
Just to clarify, you're saying that if it's no longer true and we're not playing by the rules we should advertise it on our website? I've heard some crazy ideas on here but this one's special
I'd suggest they remove that Q&A from the website as long as the situation is evolving. Will I donate to the new collective if they are not going to the limit of what is legal? I will not. You can do whatever you like with your cash.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Anyone watching the Transfer Portal today who does not think it is a good idea to contribute to Rhody Excellence is fooling themselves!!!!
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I wish I wasn't amongst the almost nobody. It is bs. But, very real bs.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I wish I wasn't amongst the almost nobody. It is bs. But, very real bs.
I second this. The cost of attendance is real. How do I become an almost nobody??????
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this post from the LaSalle fan forum but thought that it was relevant to this thread given it concerns the A-10 NILs.
LaSalle A-10 NIL Post.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Dayton $1,000,000
St. Louis $750,000
St. Bonaventure $440,000
Loyola Chicago $300,000+
St. Joe's $200,000, a car, plus

There you go. You want an All-Atlantic 10 first or second teamer you're looking at a 6 figure deal, and you need to be in six figures to even be in the top half of the league. Hate it or love it, that's where things stand. If you don't want to play the game and don't want to support Rhody Excellence apply for America East membership now
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago Dayton $1,000,000
St. Louis $750,000
St. Bonaventure $440,000
Loyola Chicago $300,000+
St. Joe's $200,000, a car, plus

There you go. You want an All-Atlantic 10 first or second teamer you're looking at a 6 figure deal, and you need to be in six figures to even be in the top half of the league. Hate it or love it, that's where things stand. If you don't want to play the game and don't want to support Rhody Excellence apply for America East membership now
If accurate, no reason to think it is not, those numbers kinda give the costs of getting off the porch and running with the big dogs. As someone said on here, we are not competing with the major conferences we are competing in the A-10 upper tier.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Concerning our NIL fund level, since it was known to be 400k a while ago, how much goes to the mens program versus the womens?

I'm guessing at 75% to the mens, at least.

No surprise that Daytons is 1 mil.

We have to get to high 6 figures at least, and since we need a LOT of talent to get good again, maybe even a mil or more.

That's the stark reality of where we are and what needs to be done.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Hmmm just a thought here - would having a well funded and large NIL source help with any future conference relignment?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think it would be among many factors considered in conference realignment. I guess the question would be how big are the other dogs running by the porch we are getting off.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this post from the LaSalle fan forum but thought that it was relevant to this thread given it concerns the A-10 NILs.

Quarter mill for Jimerson? Per year? Where the hell are we?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 month ago
RF1 wrote: 1 month ago I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this post from the LaSalle fan forum but thought that it was relevant to this thread given it concerns the A-10 NILs.

Quarter mill for Jimerson? Per year? Where the hell are we?
One of the best players in the league.

3X All Conference player.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Even with a lot of money to give, the staff still has to identify, recruit, and develop the "right" players.

Money is a big part of it, but not all of it.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It may be getting to the point that it might be wiser to direct funds to the NIL rather than coaching salaries and facilities. The college basketball model of the past has been turned upside down.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago It may be getting to the point that it might be wiser to direct funds to the NIL rather than coaching salaries and facilities. The college basketball model of the past has been turned upside down.
In most pro sports, lots of players do make more than the coaches...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is all that is relevant regarding the NIL

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago This is all that is relevant regarding the NIL

Which of the URI players in the portal so far do you think are leaving because they are expecting a large pay day somewhere else?
0 x