Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The issue is it’s been evident for the better part of a decade the separation and divide has been growing between the college basketball have and have nots.

However, instead of getting creative, the “have-nots” have not done anything innovative to keep up. They pretty much done the same old, and the gap has continued to grow.

When someone suggests some unique scheduling idea, whether in-conference or out-of-conference, it’s often met with resistance, whether financial or pride. Or “it’s their fault that they are playing more conference games and boxing out our opportunities.” Likely so, but complaining is wasteful energy, do something about it.

If everyone not in the P5/BE doesn’t get their head out of their ass, they’ll continue to morph into consistent 1-2 bid conferences with the occasional outlier, further and further away from the 4-6 bid conference some of them used to compete for.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The divide is growing... Except that the final AP Top 25 poll had such noted blue bloods as Houston, Providence, St. Mary's, Murray State and Boise State. And in the tournament itself, St. Peter's was in the Elite Eight, and No. 8 UNC and No. 4 Arkansas were right there with Duke, Villanova and Kansas. I'd argue that the blue bloods grip on the sport is slipping, despite more resources, because of how much "open" scouting and recruiting via the Internet changes things, as well as how the open transfer rules allow for much more player movement.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

In a one-game tournament or a one-off season, of course anything can happen. St. Peter’s was a fun story and then their coach was hired for millions more else where and pretty much all his players transferred out. There will probably be another fun story next year like St. Peter’s or Oral Roberts the year prior but it’s certainly not exactly a sustainable program/conference model.

To me the view needs to be from a conference lense of what can they do to help support higher bids. Obviously McGlade, Aresco, etc. aren’t out there playing the games, but is the best thing for the conferences simple rolling out the same scheduling tactics and thinking expansion solves all problems? AAC is about to get wiped out. What’s more likely, those 2-3 lost AAC bids go to the top 6 conferences or the bottom 25? More separation…
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhowdy, good points and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points. But I have 2 issues with Bilas and the P5’s (just in regards to bb and football…

1. It’s not necessarily a level playing field - it’s to their advantage yet they still whine when they can’t dominate the sport.

2. Let the schools decide for themselves if they choose to compete or not under the current system.

3. Let the players decide for themselves where they play. It is a global pool of players and that pool can support more than 120 programs.

Every conference (from P5 on down), imho, has its laggards for various reasons: competence level, commitment level, etc. of the administration (Board’s of Trustees, Presidents, AD’s,etc.). For example, how competitive has Vanderbilt been in men’s bb and football in the SEC? Or, say Wakeforest in the ACC?

My point is, there will always be laggards regardless of the number of schools or changes to the system when compared to the so-called blue bloods. So, I think that is a lazy excuse for Bilas to use and reeks of whining on his part.

Objectively, is 350 ish bb programs too many? Probably, but I have given it much thought. But I don’t want Bilas and the P5’s deciding who’s in and who’s out, that’s for sure.

That’s just my two cents from where I sit with very little rooting interest beyond how my beloved alma mater is impacted. I don’t have the length of horizon left that many of you have so, selfishly, I am adverse to changes to college bb while I can still root on Rhody.

Sorry for the rant.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago The issue is it’s been evident for the better part of a decade the separation and divide has been growing between the college basketball have and have nots.

However, instead of getting creative, the “have-nots” have not done anything innovative to keep up. They pretty much done the same old, and the gap has continued to grow.

When someone suggests some unique scheduling idea, whether in-conference or out-of-conference, it’s often met with resistance, whether financial or pride. Or “it’s their fault that they are playing more conference games and boxing out our opportunities.” Likely so, but complaining is wasteful energy, do something about it.

If everyone not in the P5/BE doesn’t get their head out of their ass, they’ll continue to morph into consistent 1-2 bid conferences with the occasional outlier, further and further away from the 4-6 bid conference some of them used to compete for.
RJ, if I was you I wouldn’t assume the NBE survives long term as it is currently constituted. Football and the more dominant of the P5 schools will drive the decisions and the basketball programs will follow, imho. It may be 15 years from now but the clock is ticking. The dominant football dominant programs of the P5’s will continue to consolidate, morph and consolidate again until they reach their manageable number of 30 or so. It’s the Law of the Jungle they operate by.

I have no special insight other than my experience of watching various industries follow the same script during my working life.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago In a one-game tournament or a one-off season, of course anything can happen. St. Peter’s was a fun story and then their coach was hired for millions more else where and pretty much all his players transferred out. There will probably be another fun story next year like St. Peter’s or Oral Roberts the year prior but it’s certainly not exactly a sustainable program/conference model.

To me the view needs to be from a conference lense of what can they do to help support higher bids. Obviously McGlade, Aresco, etc. aren’t out there playing the games, but is the best thing for the conferences simple rolling out the same scheduling tactics and thinking expansion solves all problems? AAC is about to get wiped out. What’s more likely, those 2-3 lost AAC bids go to the top 6 conferences or the bottom 25? More separation…
RJ, IMO you are making the argument for the P5’s. Consolidate (shed the laggards) and morph to a manageable number of 30 or so programs for both FB and bb eventually. Then, have a bb tourney similar to the NBA playoffs with multi-game series.

This will max their return on their substantial and ever growing investment.

One nationwide conference of 30 or so of the best programs for FB and bb. A true blue blood national champ for the max return.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago The issue is it’s been evident for the better part of a decade the separation and divide has been growing between the college basketball have and have nots.

RJ, if I was you I wouldn’t assume the NBE survives long term as it is currently constituted. Football and the more dominant of the P5 schools will drive the decisions and the basketball programs will follow, imho. It may be 15 years from now but the clock is ticking. The dominant football dominant programs of the P5’s will continue to consolidate, morph and consolidate again until they reach their manageable number of 30 or so. It’s the Law of the Jungle they operate by.

I have no special insight other than my experience of watching various industries follow the same script during my working life.
I agree - at some point things could go sides ways for the NBE if football swings things in a radical direction. But if that were to happen, there is nothing the Big East could do differently. That would be unavoidable. But in the short/mid-term future, BE is well set-up. It’s in a uniquely different spot over the next 5-10 years then any other basketball conference, although all could be left at the altar some day.

Also, I don’t ever see one mega-conference. If anything I see 4, 16-team conferences. I would be very surprised by one 30-team “league.”
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Rhowdy, good points and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points. But I have 2 issues with Bilas and the P5’s (just in regards to bb and football…

1. It’s not necessarily a level playing field - it’s to their advantage yet they still whine when they can’t dominate the sport.

2. Let the schools decide for themselves if they choose to compete or not under the current system.

3. Let the players decide for themselves where they play. It is a global pool of players and that pool can support more than 120 programs.

Every conference (from P5 on down), imho, has its laggards for various reasons: competence level, commitment level, etc. of the administration (Board’s of Trustees, Presidents, AD’s,etc.). For example, how competitive has Vanderbilt been in men’s bb and football in the SEC? Or, say Wakeforest in the ACC?

My point is, there will always be laggards regardless of the number of schools or changes to the system when compared to the so-called blue bloods. So, I think that is a lazy excuse for Bilas to use and reeks of whining on his part.

Objectively, is 350 ish bb programs too many? Probably, but I have given it much thought. But I don’t want Bilas and the P5’s deciding who’s in and who’s out, that’s for sure.

That’s just my two cents from where I sit with very little rooting interest beyond how my beloved alma mater is impacted. I don’t have the length of horizon left that many of you have so, selfishly, I am adverse to changes to college bb while I can still root on Rhody.

Sorry for the rant.
So that leads to the important question. Are we hesitant of this type of change because we think it's bad for college basketball or because we think URI could be left out and it's bad for us personally? I mean how many of us would be hesitant of this move if URI was guaranteed to be one of the top level programs if something like this happened? Something tells me everyone who's been against it so far would be completely fine if we were included with the haves, have nots and fairness be damned
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

"Or, say Wakeforest in the ACC?"
Wake Forest is really good in football.
Transfer Portal is as big an issue as NIL. The portal was a major factor in Rhody footballs turnaround.
Let's see how Coach Miller does with his incoming transfers.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Bilas is like cnn. No one listens to them.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 1 year ago

I agree - at some point things could go sides ways for the NBE if football swings things in a radical direction. But if that were to happen, there is nothing the Big East could do differently. That would be unavoidable. But in the short/mid-term future, BE is well set-up. It’s in a uniquely different spot over the next 5-10 years then any other basketball conference, although all could be left at the altar some day.

Also, I don’t ever see one mega-conference. If anything I see 4, 16-team conferences. I would be very surprised by one 30-team “league.”
You may be correct RJ. As I said, I don’t have any special insight or inside info. I am just reading tea leaves and am aware that the beast is never satisfied; he must always eat economically speaking. And, for college FB and bb, that beast to me is made up of P5 schools (but not all) and entertainment networks committed to the P5 schools.

But, as I said earlier, my timeline is 10-15 years out and I very likely won’t be here to see it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You may be correct RJ. As I said, I don’t have any special insight or inside info. I am just reading tea leaves and am aware that the beast is never satisfied; he must always eat economically speaking. And, for college FB and bb, that beast to me is made up of P5 schools (but not all) and entertainment networks committed to the P5 schools.

But, as I said earlier, my timeline is 10-15 years out and I very likely won’t be here to see it.
Hah. 15 years puts me in my mid 70's. You think I'm crusty now, just wait.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Rhowdy, good points and I don’t necessarily disagree with your points. But I have 2 issues with Bilas and the P5’s (just in regards to bb and football…

Sorry for the rant.
So that leads to the important question. Are we hesitant of this type of change because we think it's bad for college basketball or because we think URI could be left out and it's bad for us personally? I mean how many of us would be hesitant of this move if URI was guaranteed to be one of the top level programs if something like this happened? Something tells me everyone who's been against it so far would be completely fine if we were included with the haves, have nots and fairness be damned
Rhowdy, I won’t be bashful. Personally, I’d be happy for Rhody to be included. Like many here, I am a big fan and would love to see at least a few more deep runs and even a Final Four, short of cheating. Selfish on my part, I’ll admit.

That said, in addition to being a Rhody fan most of my life, I love basketball, played organized bb for a large chunk of my life and I have also been a college bb fan back to the Yankee Conference days. I grew up on college bb. Love the tourney and all that comes with it: the excitement of the first few rounds, the upsets, the unexpected runs, my bracket getting torched. I’d like to see it stay the way it is or even see the trend towards favoring the P5’s moderated (I’m not normally adverse to change but I am in this instance of consolidation). But, that said, I don’t expect the forces driving change and consolidation to relent.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago "Or, say Wakeforest in the ACC?"
Wake Forest is really good in football.
Transfer Portal is as big an issue as NIL. The portal was a major factor in Rhody footballs turnaround.
Let's see how Coach Miller does with his incoming transfers.
Nothing personal towards Wake, Brian. I just don’t think of them when I think of the top FB programs I’ve seen over the past 50 years. Just my off the top of my head opinion and my opinion isn’t worth much.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Mid 70’s…That’s where I would be, too. Already feeling the crusty-ness rearing it’s ugly head, though rarely thankfully. :D
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago The divide is growing... Except that the final AP Top 25 poll had such noted blue bloods as Houston, Providence, St. Mary's, Murray State and Boise State. And in the tournament itself, St. Peter's was in the Elite Eight, and No. 8 UNC and No. 4 Arkansas were right there with Duke, Villanova and Kansas. I'd argue that the blue bloods grip on the sport is slipping, despite more resources, because of how much "open" scouting and recruiting via the Internet changes things, as well as how the open transfer rules allow for much more player movement.
SG, regarding college bb, I hope you are correct and their grip is slipping and the non-P5 schools utilize the internet and tech advances to out maneuver the P5’s. I do think it’s possible but it takes commitment, smarts, strategic spending, fan base support and other things as well, I am sure, that I can’t think of due to my lack of expertise.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

https://theathletic.com/3246391/2022/04 ... ollective/

"The truth? There may be some movement in the recruiting rankings and some players may opt to attend schools they wouldn’t have considered in the past, but a program’s spot on the current hierarchy of college football is probably what it is for a reason."

NIL is not going to change anything on the scoreboard. Look at UM and FSU football vs. Wake. Tooooo many variables-coaching,kicker goes in a slump,chemistry,off field issues,etc. etc.. Fleming and Reiss have thrived under the new transfer rules. let's see what Miller does.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Mid 70’s…That’s where I would be, too. Already feeling the crusty-ness rearing it’s ugly head, though rarely thankfully. :D
You guys are youngsters. :D
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago To mine and Jay's point. Last year there were 10 multi-bid conferences, and those 10 conferences had 122 member schools. Splitting the top of division off into a 1A is already de facto a thing
Agreed. I don't get why you would have to change it. The system shakes out the way it should.

The tourney is much more interesting to see the david vs. goliath.

Obviously the Bilas crowd doesn't want to see it as currently constituted. A loss costs them millions per year for the blue blood teams if they get caught napping like Kentucky did. But that's what makes the tourney magical.

They might think they'd be keeping a bigger pot for themselves - but all of those 352 teams having a "chance" it what provides such a big draw for all fans. The pot is bigger to share if you keep it the way it is.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

78, that’s some pretty good coinage. I should start working out…

Now, where did I put my Converse Chuck Taylor high tops?

:lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

You guys are youngsters. :D
Ha. I was in line at the bank wearing a URI sweatshirt and a lady a bit older than me ;) asked what grade I was in. I said 10th grade. She asked if I was sure I would get in to URI.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Wondering how the non-football schools can compete in the new era of NIL. Rumor is the friars had to
guarantee Hopkins at least 100K to match his deal with Kentucky
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Brian Forster
ARD

The grass being greener does not guarantee success,Look at:
Russell -MD. coach quit in season
Toppin-UK underachieved
Martin-UConn made NCAAs,but did not go far. Somewhat disappointing.

All left for broadway.
The Mitchells might do better at Arkansas. I would not bet on it though.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago The grass being greener does not guarantee success,Look at:
Russell -MD. coach quit in season
Toppin-UK underachieved
Martin-UConn made NCAAs,but did not go far. Somewhat disappointing.

All left for broadway.
The Mitchells might do better at Arkansas. I would not bet on it though.
I am sure they were all extremely jealous that they missed out on being a part of our season last year.
4 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I am sure they were all extremely jealous that they missed out on being a part of our season last year.
Adam-At least your guys are consistent !! Maybe you could pay their NIL. Take it out of your Rhody donations? 10%?

Scoreboard baby-15-17 Maryland
Uconn
New Mexico State
Mar 17 (Thu)
L, 63-70
Buffalo, N.Y.
KeyBank Center

UK
MAR 17 (THU) 7:10 P.M. ET
SAINT PETER'S UNIVERSITY

L, 79-85
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Martin, Toppin, Fatts did not leave because of NIL. I know Fatts was looking for NIL money once that ruling came down, but he certainly didn't go to Maryland because of NIL.

They all went to better programs because it was a better move for their professional basketball careers, and I do not think anyone can argue that any of them made a mistake in doing so.

I'm not so sure the NIL is going to effect college basketball as much as everyone thinks. Sure, UMiami boosters is throwing around some serious money but how long do you think that lasts and how successful do you think they're actually going to be. The P5 only have so many roster spots.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I’m starting to thing the big NIL ticket is more valuable to the elite college transfer. The top 4-year recruits all think they are league bound, I don’t think they are panicking about money. Now some of the stories about top transfers who were told they likely weren’t draftable prospects getting $300-$500k annually, those are where I think the money shifts for most. The 4-year guy is more risk, unpredictable. A transfer who has played college basketball more certainty. Those guys I think will get the brinks truck.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

PhiPSi-Martin, Toppin, Fatts did not leave because of NIL.
NIL was not even around then?
What changed in their and new teams performance in going from the "farm to Paris"?
Any kid that who chases mo' $$ in any form in anticipation of mediocre effort and results deserves it.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

meaning-deserves the mediocre results.
Caveat Emptor.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago I am sure they were all extremely jealous that they missed out on being a part of our season last year.
Adam-At least your guys are consistent !! Maybe you could pay their NIL. Take it out of your Rhody donations? 10%?

Uconn
New Mexico State
Mar 17 (Thu)
L, 63-70
Buffalo, N.Y.
KeyBank Center

UK
MAR 17 (THU) 7:10 P.M. ET
SAINT PETER'S UNIVERSITY

L, 79-85
I did contribute to Fatts' NIL. I bought one of the sweatshirts he was selling on Campus Mogul. He's one of my favorite players in a long time so I was happy to support him. I'd also gladly contribute to URI players NIL if something is eventually setup. It would not come out of my Rhody donations though, I'll still keep that standard contribution in place each year.

And bringing up that UConn and Kentucky lost in the NCAA tournament when we finished 11th in the conference is truly hilarious.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Scoreboard baby-15-17 Maryland
Scoreboard? We were just as bad record wise with a MUCH easier schedule.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Also, again, Fatts was a graduate transfer. I can understand the frustration with how many transfers there are now, but I'm not going to kill anyone because they don't want to spend a *fifth* year at the same college.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maryland NET was 90. Some preseason polls had Maryland Top 10 and others Top 25. Disaster of a year for the Turtles based on preseason expectations.

Nobody “Feared the turtle” last season
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Maryland NET was 90. Some preseason polls had Maryland Top 10 and others Top 25. Disaster of a year for the Turtles based on preseason expectations.

No doubt about that. Huge disappointment for the Terps last year, and huge disappointment for Rhody last year. Neither fanbase should be looking to point to the "scoreboard".
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

P5 expectations viewed through a P5 prism. The reality proved they really weren’t a good team. I fell for it at the beginning of the year. I thought they would be good. Live and learn.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I can't wait to see where Fatts goes in the draft tomorrow night !!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I forgot all about the draft coming up.

I wonder if Fatts will land on a NBA summer league roster? I’d definitely watch some games if he does.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I forgot all about the draft coming up.

I wonder if Fatts will land on a NBA summer league roster? I’d definitely watch some games if he does.
I think he will
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Players transfer to schools with more resources to improve their draft stock.
Ergo,he will be drafted.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Are you arguing that Tyrese Martin was better off staying at URI than going to UConn? David Cox couldn't develop a single player while he was here. Tyrese grew more in those 2 years under Hurley than he would have if he stayed 4 years under Cox. Maybe you believe that if Tyrese stayed at URI he would have had the same exposure. I would argue that Tyrese received the amount of attention he did at the end of the year because he played his best ball in the BE tournament. Whether we like it or not, the BE tournament gets more attention than the A10s. If he stays at URI, with the trajectory that team had, he wouldn't even have a shot at sweeping the floors for the NBA.

Fatts was already a known commodity, but I 100% understand his reasoning for going to Maryland. He thought he was joining a high level team where he would be an immediate impact player. Maryland was not as good as people thought. His stock certainly wasn't going to get worse than it was after his senior year at URI, so he decided to try and boost his stock in an attempt to sniff the NBA or get him a better Euro deal. Do you think he would have been better suited to play under Cox another year? What's that saying about insanity...?

Topping went to Kentucky with 3(?) years of eligibility. Enough said.

We've been through this how many times. None of these players left for immediate money or NIL. They left because better programs were offering them a better opportunity. Plain and Simple. I bet if you offered Fatts $100k to stay at URI or $0 to go to Maryland, that he still chooses Maryland.
How far each of these teams went in the NCAA or what the teams record was is hindsight at this point, and isn't even a good argument because those 3 teams are head and shoulders above where URI was the last couple years. Not even in the same stratosphere.

NIL would not have stopped any of these transfers, and NIL would not have made any of these transfers happen. They happened because we weren't a good program. Let's worry about being a good program, then worry about teams stealing away our players because of NIL $$$.
4 x
Brian Forster
ARD

NIL wasn't even around when they transferred.
But much more resources were. I have no problem with anybody transferring from Rhody.
What good did it do them?
Put Calipari and Hurley at Rhody with current budget and bet you they do better.
Conversely,put Baron,Cox or Jerry D. as Coach at UK or UConn with final four budgets and they would lay an egg.
Martin,Ruseell and Toppins teams underachieved this year and $$ had nothing to do with it. But the performance did.
Won''t this be a moot point when they get drafted tomorrow night?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Stick to football, buddy. I don't exactly know what you're trying to prove here but you're looking silly for everyone to see.
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

I guess the options are being drafted to the NBA or working at Starbucks. No in between like international basketball. And I'm sure there's no such thing as better international leagues where the players make more money based on which league they are in. What are you talking about? I am really not sure what your argument is.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago What are you talking about? I am really not sure what your argument is.
He doesn't have one at this point. He knows he looks foolish now after his original post and he is embarrassed about it so he is just taking shots at players to try and make himself feel better.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

More $$ does not translate into short term success . Thats all.
URI has noooo business beating Delaware in football based on finances. Except their kids played better.
Long haul ,the lack of funds hurt Rhody big time. Short term,not as big an issue as coaching,game day performance,etc..
you don't have to go to a Power 5 school to play pro sports,particularly intl. basketball.
I forgot the draft is tomorrow night also,the transfers should pay off then. The transfer portal helps URI . But what about the 500-1000 kids who don't have a place to go in it? Would you call it a smashing success if Martin and Russell don't get drafted ?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago More $$ does not translate into short term success . Thats all.
URI has noooo business beating Delaware in football based on finances. Except their kids played better.
Long haul ,the lack of funds hurt Rhody big time. Short term,not as big an issue as coaching,game day performance,etc..
you don't have to go to a Power 5 school to play pro sports,particularly intl. basketball.
I forgot the draft is tomorrow night also,the transfers should pay off then. The transfer portal helps URI . But what about the 500-1000 kids who don't have a place to go in it? Would you call it a smashing success if Martin and Russell don't get drafted ?
For Tyrese Martin, 100% yes. He got to play in two NCAA tournaments that he wouldn't have been in if he stayed under Cox, so his college career became better and he was exposed to more attention, which means better pro opportunities
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

Agreed. Martin has a shot tonight. Let's see.
Better than staying at Rhody under Cox.
Most coaches and players strive to play at highest level.
(Most coaches prefer to develop their own talent also than rely on transfers).
Hurley has complained about it. Plenty of dough at Uconn,plenty of plyers leaving also.
https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article ... 079758.php

“For the most part, I understand the basketball moves made by the guys who left,

("for the most part")
0 x