Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
NHRamFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Whether it was pre-NIL or now, we would never be in the discussion with certain kids, so drawing comparisons to "million dollar demands" is an exercise in absurdity. When the dust settles the 5-star kids get the big bucks and go to the P4 conferences. They were going to those schools before NIL!

There will be a bunch of schools who choose to swim in the next layer of the ocean. Just like before. The question is: do we ante up and swim there? Or do we all get Eeyore tattooed on our biceps and whine our way to the middle of the America East conference?

We're not being asked to pitch in 10k apiece. We're being asked to make an investment in the program. For those who want strings attached (player has to stay or you will never get my nickels!!), find a favorite AE/NEC/MAAC team and settle in.

Too many here have champagne dreams while only willing to commit to a Mogen David budget.

I'm a retired fan from far enough away to see what awaits if we turn our backs on the program now (i.e. Univ. of New Hampshire). As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Re: the move the earn the $50k match - count me in.
If you're an old time fan like I am, you will remember that we used to get 5 star players like Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson (although they weren't ranked that way back in the 70s) and plenty of 4 star players. We don't have a shot at anyone like that under the current system.
Ben Hammond is a 4*, high school recruit.
Well, when we recruited him, he was a 3. And, is he here yet?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago Some anonymous donor kicked in 15,000 so big ups to whoever that is. Another with a 1,200 donation so there are some generous fans out there who want to help the program succeed.
Keep giving and I thank you !
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ok - I will fess up - R15 got in my head and it was me
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Does anyone think these kids today would say or do the same in this environment?
No, unless URI could compensate them for it relative to other teams. No way.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Hammond wasn't a 4 star when he committed here.

He's blown up somewhat since then.

Which is great if we can keep him.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

If it’s going to take $1mil a year for a revolving door just to compete in the A10, I welcome a move to a lower conference.
0 x
:lol:
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago Ok - I will fess up - R15 got in my head and it was me
Thank you for your service!
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I am buying this guy a beer

1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 weeks ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Does anyone think these kids today would say or do the same in this environment?
P5 teams were already paying players when EC and Terrell came here. So this argument doesn't really fit.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

but you are so right - I should have looked up an educational video on YouTube before I posted … lesson learned

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago
P5 teams were already paying players when EC and Terrell came here. So this argument doesn't really fit.
All of them? And if yes, how much?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And what is this all about … clueless !

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/new ... nzi-scheme
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

alas another article calling it a Ponzi scheme

Clueless !

https://templefootballforever.com/2024/ ... e-players/
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe not all, but a hell of a lot of them were. Hard to say exactly how much because it was all so hidden. The players parents suddenly get a new job that they never have to actually show up for working for that one booster, new cars show up in the driveway, new houses, etc. etc. And for some reason a lot of people prefer that system instead.
Last edited by adam914 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago There are unsubstantiated reports out there that A-10 member Dayton's NIL paid out close to $1.2M last season with Holmes getting more than half (some $650k).
Another $180M and we could have the Boston Celtics play for us :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Be careful.. typically the victim of a ponzi
Scheme are clueless…

BE CAREFUL AND DONT FORGET TO DONATE
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago Be careful.. typically the victim of a ponzi
Scheme are clueless…

#cutponzischemebait ??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Scheme are clueless…

Well.

Don't be excited when we sign players that help us win games because we have competitive NIL money!

Maybe it's just, ya know....giving money to a group so that they can assist in acquiring talent and its not that big of a goddamn deal?

But many people want to construct their own silly narratives 🤪
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago
RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago There are unsubstantiated reports out there that A-10 member Dayton's NIL paid out close to $1.2M last season with Holmes getting more than half (some $650k).
Another $180M and we could have the Boston Celtics play for us :lol: :lol: :lol:
That’s pure insanity lol. One season???
0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
Scheme are clueless…

Well.

Don't be excited when we sign players that help us win games because we have competitive NIL money!

Maybe it's just, ya know....giving money to a group so that they can assist in acquiring talent and its not that big of a goddamn deal?

Very silly of me to just want to root for my team like the good ole days and follow the same player throughout their career… silly rabbit.. TRIX are for kids
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Maybe not all, but a hell of a lot of them were. Hard to say exactly how much because it was all so hidden. The players parents suddenly get a new job that they never have to actually show up for working for that one booster, new cars show up in the driveway, new houses, etc. etc. And for some reason a lot of people prefer that system instead.
Where are your facts for this? New cars, new houses and none of it got out?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of cars, when I was in school, there was a Cadillac driving around campus with Connecticut plates and the plate said 'SLY'. The gap between the big schools and the small schools were much smaller back then than they are now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago

My facts for this are hearing it directly from the players involved in some cases, and in other cases hearing about it from other people close to the situations. As far as it getting out, I guess that just depends on your definition of "got out". There are some pretty infamous scandals that have come out, but for the most part it was just an open "secret".
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Speaking of cars, when I was in school, there was a Cadillac driving around campus with Connecticut plates and the plate said 'SLY'. The gap between the big schools and the small schools were much smaller back then than they are now.
I don't want to out anyone publicly here, but I have a couple good somewhat similar stories from when I was in school to. Hopefully if we ever find ourselves sharing a drink at the site of our next NCAA Tournament game I'll spill the beans. :D
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

we got ourselves a lively debate !

Love the back and forth as long as it doesn’t get personal

We are all rhody fans here and it’s ok to agree to disagree

All joking aside I am forever grateful for those supporting the team … there are thousands of reasons to support you guys here … but can you at least give me millions of reasons ?!?!!(

What a mess this new way of business has become

Goodbye to the days of EC/hassan glorious end to end alley hoop fast break fast forward to our ncaa run

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio our nation turns its lonely eyes to you
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Speaking of cars, when I was in school, there was a Cadillac driving around campus with Connecticut plates and the plate said 'SLY'. The gap between the big schools and the small schools were much smaller back then than they are now.
I don't want to out anyone publicly here, but I have a couple good somewhat similar stories from when I was in school to. Hopefully if we ever find ourselves sharing a drink at the site of our next NCAA Tournament game I'll spill the beans. :D
And at the same time as Sly, I'm sure Bruce Campbell was driving a nice car around the PC campus and the same with Corny Thompson at UConn and Ronnie Perry at Holy Cross. But that's the thing. Any school who had some big donors, the star players were driving around in nice cars. That was the thing at the time. Lots of schools did it (I'm not saying it was right), but the gap between a school like Duke and a school like URI was much smaller then. We had a chance. We could actually compete on a national level. That is very unlikely now. My dream was to some day go to a Final Four. And we had some chances, coming so close a couple of times. If they don't lose to Duke by 1 point in '78, I think we would have had a Final Four. I just don't see us having a chance to do that anymore.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago we got ourselves a lively debate !

Love the back and forth as long as it doesn’t get personal

We are all rhody fans here and it’s ok to agree to disagree

All joking aside I am forever grateful for those supporting the team … there are thousands of reasons to support you guys here … but can you at least give me millions of reasons ?!?!!(

What a mess this new way of business has become

Goodbye to the days of EC/hassan glorious end to end alley hoop fast break fast forward to our ncaa run

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio our nation turns its lonely eyes to you
The more success we have, the more likely we have players that stay for four years. It will all feel better WHEN Arch had this thing rollin...

With winning the easier it will be to replace talent and deal with losing it because of the success on the court.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And now we have guys like this.

0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago And now we have guys like this.

This is a fake news account. Everything they post is parody and trying to dupe people.

Idk how many times people will continue to post this guy and think it is real. Like the third time in 2 weeks.

It is a PC fan trolling on twitter.Twitter.

This guy also tweeted that Tyler Kolek can't read a month ago.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago

This is a fake news account. Everything they post is parody and trying to dupe people.

Idk how many times people will continue to post this guy and think it is real. Like the third time in 2 weeks.

It is a PC fan trolling on twitter.Twitter.

This guy also tweeted that Tyler Kolek can't read a month ago.

The posts from this fake poster about Tyler Kolek were brutal. He is also the same who posted about Cooley leaving the Georgetown job just a week ago.

As I read through the responses Sevegny7, I was surprised how the vast majority were piling on to Pitino. Feels like a lynch mob in the old Western Movies when the townspeople were itching for a good hanging without a trial or collecting any facts/proof.

In about 5 pages of responses I saw one or two that called the poster out for the lie it was. People fall for this stuff. They don’t spend the time to research and pull the facts together - but should they really have to?

Gets into the free speech vs misinformation debate that just gives me a headache.

I’ll wait to see how many in the comment section of this Pitino post apologize for jumping the gun and piling on to Pitino. And that assumes the comments are from real people - or are the comments generated by the original poster himself? And apologize to Cooley. And apologize to Kolek………For these lies perpetuated by this single piece of 💩 poster.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For the 10000000th time, this account is fake.

A tweet from this account was posted here a couple weeks ago about something else as well and people fell for it.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The misinformation game is played in a lot of areas these days. Like politics for example.

People believe what they want to believe, facts be damned.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RamStock wrote: 3 weeks ago

It was a lot less expensive when under the table. Billy Preston and Brian Bowen each got $100k and Deandre Ayton got $150k. Now we have kids trying to get seven figures...
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago
Scheme are clueless…

Well.

Very silly of me to just want to root for my team like the good ole days and follow the same player throughout their career… silly rabbit.. TRIX are for kids

Invest in a time machine....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago
Now you're talking!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago alas another article calling it a Ponzi scheme

Clueless !

Seriously, shut the fuck up! Just because other people are clueless dipshits doesn't make you right.

Go back to song lyrics. Your posts still sucked, but at least you weren't a hypocritical moron, just a drunken clown
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

umm.. the "clueless" post is me mocking myself based off of R15's post about me...

sarcasm..

my goodness y'all are very personal..

this is message board of us rhody "fam".. no need for personal attacks..
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Clueless !

Seriously, shut the fuck up! Just because other people are clueless dipshits doesn't make you right.

Go back to song lyrics. Your posts still sucked, but at least you weren't a hypocritical moron, just a drunken clown

CLUELESS !

This guy said ponzi scheme 🤣🤣🤣

Clueless.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 day ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Clueless !

you drunken clown you !!!!!

CALL ME POOTER !!!

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Does this mean schools can require NIL money in there media rights?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago umm.. the "clueless" post is me mocking myself based off of R15's post about me...

sarcasm..

my goodness y'all are very personal..

this is message board of us rhody "fam".. no need for personal attacks..
used to be. The line in the sand has clearly been drawn.

Those who donate to the collective, the real fans.

And the peasants.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Actually, it was a brown Lincoln with Connecticut registration "SLY 35." IIRC, three boosters took him to dinner a night or two before the fall semester started. They left the table, leaving just Sly and the car keys.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 weeks ago
Actually, it was a brown Lincoln with Connecticut registration "SLY 35." IIRC, three boosters took him to dinner a night or two before the fall semester started. They left the table, leaving just Sly and the car keys.
I knew I forgot the 35. I'll trust you on the car model. Your memory is better than mine. So, was that meeting shortly before he got on the train and got off in Kingston instead of Providence?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I knew I forgot the 35. I'll trust you on the car model. Your memory is better than mine. So, was that meeting shortly before he got on the train and got off in Kingston instead of Providence?
IIRC (again), that meeting persuaded Sly to get off the train in Kingston. There was probably something in the Godfather's book about it.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

IIRC (again), that meeting persuaded Sly to get off the train in Kingston. There was probably something in the Godfather's book about it.
I need to read that book. I e-mailed Bob and he said I could pick up a copy at one of the restaurants on The Hill. But with that mess with the bridge, I'm avoiding Providence for a while.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

What is it called if you invest money for a players returns (returns meaning wins for rhody) only to find out that player is fictitious and never plays for you and therefore no return is made on the aforementioned player ?… nevermind… I’ll ask the penn state guy LOL
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am very reluctantly considering donating, but one thing (many actually do) keeps bothering me about this. Let’s use our new freshman PG as an example, say he ends up starting next year and is as good as we hope, maybe even better…A10 rookie of the year, will we realistically have the $500,000 plus to retain him and continue to pay the others or provide raises to retain a burgeoning young core? Or will we have roughly the same amount to pay and be stuck with players willing to play at our rate and it will constantly be reshuffling each season. I know it depends on the budget and what people donate, but it seems to me that if you have a good young core your bill to keep them could literally double or more in 1 year. And I venture to say that you are not going to get enough average Joes to make that up overnight. So are the usual suspects ready and willing to step up? If not then this may be all for nothing.
4 x