Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Backroads wrote: 4 weeks ago

needless to say - this was not me...
hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
How?

If you want to get good players, this is how you get good players.

You certainly don't have to donate, you certainly don't have to buy in.

For everyone that doesn't want to jump into it, just don't whine about the quality of the players we have and how many games we win or lose.

This is the inflection point for the changes in college basketball. Whining about having to pay players is no different than people who whined about donating to help us build better facilities. That was no different than people who complained that they added a 3 point line.

The game has changed, get with it or don't. But complaining about anything from this point forward if you're not willing to help us win in this arena is illogical and pointless.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Pay for play actually helped me find my limit of love and support for the team.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
How?

For everyone that doesn't want to jump into it, just don't whine about the quality of the players we have and how many games we win or lose.

This is the inflection point for the changes in college basketball. Whining about having to pay players is no different than people who whined about donating to help us build better facilities. That was no different than people who complained that they added a 3 point line.

The game has changed, get with it or don't. But complaining about anything from this point forward if you're not willing to help us win in this arena is illogical and pointless.
We might have to make an exclusive Keaney blue member forum for the NIL contributors only. Lol
This could not be any further from a ponzi scheme. The people that are so resistant to contribute will also continue to complain more than anyone else. They will provide no solutions to help bring us back to the glory days. But expect we be at a consistent NCAA tourney level by sitting on their couches.

Everyone hates the type of people with personal inputs or opinions but do not provide or refuse to help with solutions. Brutal
5 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
How?

i understand your point and it makes perfect sense

respectfully i disagree.. which isn't often with you since you are about the #1 poster I enjoy reading

i get your point tho - and i will whine - and i can see how you can say that i don't have that right to whine

the issue i see is paying year after year for player turnover

if they committed to staying at URI, then I would more easily buy in

using EC Mathews as an example.. say i pay $x dollars to get a player like that...
then he leaves...
then that is no return on my investment

i will always root and complain about URI.. and will always bleed keaney blue forever

as for the rest of you. please.. by all means.. donate big time so I can watch a winner for once !

prediction for next year when i am complaining.. "well, you didn't pay any money so that is why we suck"..

just telling the truth above..

i think one can remain a big college hoops fan and decide to not pay a player at the same time
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Let’s be honest, even at the big time schools most fans are not donating. I am going to assume the 80/20 rule applies here if not and even higher percentage…80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
How?

I don't really agree Blue Man even though I do donate to the University and joined the Collective.

It is a personal decision, and I am not one to judge what fans do with or without their money.

It also isn't the same as donating to help fund needy programs or facilities to benefit actual students and the University.
Those buildings will be there a long time and it is difficult to put a price on education.

Some of these "free agents" that we sign could be waving goodbye to us in their rear-view mirror in less than a year, just looking for their next stop.

If someone pays to watch the team, they certainly have the right to complain.
Many of us sacrificed a lot to attend URI and invested many years of our life to this school, just that alone should give us the right to have an opinion about this.
5 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
How?

respectfully i disagree.. which isn't often with you since you are about the #1 poster I enjoy reading

i get your point tho - and i will whine - and i can see how you can say that i don't have that right to whine

using EC Mathews as an example.. say i pay $x dollars to get a player like that...
then he leaves...

i will always root and complain about URI.. and will always bleed keaney blue forever

as for the rest of you. please.. by all means.. donate big time so I can watch a winner for once !

prediction for next year when i am complaining.. "well, you didn't pay any money so that is why we suck"..

i think one can remain a big college hoops fan and decide to not pay a player at the same time
I don't think it's a ponzi scheme, but we have to pay taxes, buy tickets, buy concessions, buy a 50/50 ticket, make a donation to the athletic dept, AND pay the players.

I don't think the juice just is worth the squeeze.
2 x
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Between football and basketball season tickets, I spend 800 dollars a year. Add concession and merch, a conservative estimate would be that I''m spending about 1000 dollars per year, about 83 dollars per month on the average. Retirees don't have the income they once had. So, when I retired, I apparently also gave up my right to complain.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course it's not a ponzi scheme. To say that is just ridiculous.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Between football and basketball season tickets, I spend 800 dollars a year. Add concession and merch, a conservative estimate would be that I''m spending about 1000 dollars per year, about 83 dollars per month on the average. Retirees don't have the income they once had. So, when I retired, I apparently also gave up my right to complain.
how did I forget the merch??

of course I need to get my little blessings from the good lord something, everytime they go to a game.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Between football and basketball season tickets, I spend 800 dollars a year. Add concession and merch, a conservative estimate would be that I''m :? spending about 1000 dollars per year, about 83 dollars per month on the average. Retirees don't have the income they once had. So, when I retired, I apparently also gave up my right to complain.
Concession and merch is $200 a year? You are pretty frugal :D . The wife and I get 2 beers each game at the Alumni Lounge at $10 a pop. Over 15 games, that's $600 :lol: :lol: .
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme
This guy said ponzi scheme 🤣🤣🤣

Clueless.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago

How?

then he leaves...

I don't think it's a ponzi scheme, but we have to pay taxes, buy tickets, buy concessions, buy a 50/50 ticket, make a donation to the athletic dept, AND pay the players.

Have to buy 50/50? Not at all.

I’ve bought maybe seven 50/50 tickets the last decade. Should be no pressure for those whatsoever.

Don’t need to spend a ton on concessions (although tough to pass up a couple beers)

Lastly, switch the athletic department donation to NIL.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Whining about having to pay players is no different than people who whined about donating to help us build better facilities. That was no different than people who complained that they added a 3 point line.
Yep, you could find people saying almost exactly the same "iT rUiNed tHe gaMe" stuff back when the 3 point line was added, when freshman were allowed to play, when players were allowed to leave school early, and on and on and on. Yet here we all are!
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Do you think URI along with other schools will suffer financially since fans/donors are redirecting funds towards NIL and maybe not towards the athletics department anymore? Will be interesting to see. Most can probably only do one or the other.
0 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’d be interested to know if your friends, family or colleagues who are pretty interested in their college and how they do are joining their collective? In my small circle of obvious cheapskates not a one has joined or donated to their schools collective, in fact my close friends that are uri alums outside of those here on the board have not donated and think it’s horrible. That is my highly unscientific survey results.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Whining about having to pay players is no different than people who whined about donating to help us build better facilities. That was no different than people who complained that they added a 3 point line.
Yep, you could find people saying almost exactly the same "iT rUiNed tHe gaMe" stuff back when the 3 point line was added, when freshman were allowed to play, when players were allowed to leave school early, and on and on and on. Yet here we all are!
Not the same. None of those examples begged fans for money to pay players.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I probably will have to end my donation to athletics in the near future in order to continue my contribution to the collective.

Will get harder to do both. The older I get, the less money I got.

If the only way for us to get better is to pay the players directly then that's what I will do, although I also am not a fan of this.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When you are asking something of the fans they have the right to say no. And it’s up to the people making the big bucks to figure it out…Archie.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 weeks ago
It is the same in that it was something new introduced that a lot of people said would ruin the game, and it didn't. I don't think this will either. I'm not even convinced NIL will be the final form this whole thing takes in the end, so it may not even be in place long enough to ruin it.
Last edited by adam914 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago I’d be interested to know if your friends, family or colleagues who are pretty interested in their college and how they do are joining their collective? In my small circle of obvious cheapskates not a one has joined or donated to their schools collective, in fact my close friends that are uri alums outside of those here on the board have not donated and think it’s horrible. That is my highly unscientific survey results.
Yeah I have quite a few friends that have joined or donated (at URI and other schools). And in most cases they were people who did not donate to athletics before NIL either.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme

Clueless.
Stop that now

You are hurting my feelings

By Ponzi scheme I am inferring to paying money with no return on the investment

You pay to get players and then they leave in a year

Call it whatever you want
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Z
hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme

Clueless.
Stop that now

It's not just no return....it:s absolutely no return ev-er. Do fund raisers...Maybe $500 plate dinners with Arch or something.... anything.... otherwise you're just dumping whatever you can afford, hoping other people do too and that it makes a difference. I hate this, it's like begging me to pay more, for the same thing I'm already getting.... Let's say I put 10 large into it and we get to the semi-finals of the A10...then what? Throw $20k into the wishing well next year?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's going to take more for me. I need to see the numbers. How much does URI take in on media contracts. How much do they make each game on men's basketball. Until I see that transparency, not sure what to say. Are they running a deficit, so bad they need fans to pay players? Is the ESPN contract that bad? The A10 plays on CBS, NBC and ESPN. Is the contract that bad they can't pay players? Who benefits from good college basketball? The media, right? They are the one's who should be paying for this.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago It's going to take more for me. I need to see the numbers. How much does URI take in on media contracts. How much do they make each game on men's basketball. Until I see that transparency, not sure what to say. Are they running a deficit, so bad they need fans to pay players? Is the ESPN contract that bad? The A10 plays on CBS, NBC and ESPN. Is the contract that bad they can't pay players? Who benefits from good college basketball? The media, right? They are the one's who should be paying for this.
I don't know how many times it has to be said but the school cannot take part in the collective and pay the players. That is why it is on the fans.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago

then he leaves...

Have to buy 50/50? Not at all.

I’ve bought maybe seven 50/50 tickets the last decade. Should be no pressure for those whatsoever.

Don’t need to spend a ton on concessions (although tough to pass up a couple beers)

Lastly, switch the athletic department donation to NIL.
No pressure, I like to gamble.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago
theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago It's going to take more for me. I need to see the numbers. How much does URI take in on media contracts. How much do they make each game on men's basketball. Until I see that transparency, not sure what to say. Are they running a deficit, so bad they need fans to pay players? Is the ESPN contract that bad? The A10 plays on CBS, NBC and ESPN. Is the contract that bad they can't pay players? Who benefits from good college basketball? The media, right? They are the one's who should be paying for this.
I don't know how many times it has to be said but the school cannot take part in the collective and pay the players. That is why it is on the fans.
I'm not asking for the school to pay, I'm asking the media companies. Contract negotiations should include a dollar amount given to each school to pay players. Let's say $1.5M a year for each school.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I don’t know if we’ll ever see those books
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Honest question, is the rhody collective working for, raising money for all programs and athletes? Or just mbb?

I assume it is but I don’t know.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It is the same in that it was something new introduced that a lot of people said would ruin the game, and it didn't. I don't think this will either. I'm not even convinced NIL will be the final form this whole thing takes in the end, so it may not even be in place long enough to ruin it.
I agree and hope this version of the NIL is not in its final form. But when asking for/money is involved, it's not the same. Not even close.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago Honest question, is the rhody collective working for, raising money for all programs and athletes? Or just mbb?

MBB and WBB
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago Honest question, is the rhody collective working for, raising money for all programs and athletes? Or just mbb?

MBB and WBB
So fb and other programs and athletes are own their own?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

MBB and WBB
What happens with Football? Baseball?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 weeks ago

MBB and WBB
What happens with Football? Baseball?
I don't know. But I read that this is for men and women's basketball.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Good question(s) for Stone, regarding the other sports? It was my understanding the Excellence Collective was MBB and WBB only.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I agree and hope this version of the NIL is not in its final form. But when asking for/money is involved, it's not the same. Not even close.
Yes, I realize they are different things. I think that's pretty obvious. :) I simply said the reaction to the different things is very similar, and I think the outcome will be to.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Clueless.
Stop that now

It's not just no return....it:s absolutely no return ev-er. Do fund raisers...Maybe $500 plate dinners with Arch or something.... anything.... otherwise you're just dumping whatever you can afford, hoping other people do too and that it makes a difference. I hate this, it's like begging me to pay more, for the same thing I'm already getting.... Let's say I put 10 large into it and we get to the semi-finals of the A10...then what? Throw $20k into the wishing well next year?
I hate it too and am no fan, but I’m signed up for a monthly donation.

Just the times we’re in.
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago Do fund raisers...Maybe $500 plate dinners with Arch or something.... anything.... otherwise you're just dumping whatever you can afford, hoping other people do too and that it makes a difference. I hate this, it's like begging me to pay more, for the same thing I'm already getting.... Let's say I put 10 large into it and we get to the semi-finals of the A10...then what? Throw $20k into the wishing well next year?
On this note, just wanted to add that there are some collective member exclusive events. No word yet on what those will be for this year that I've seen.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat, yes I know people still aren't going to donate, I know you think it ruined the game, I know its probably not enough of "return on investment" for you...I just wanted to provide the information since the topic came up. :D
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One thing that I think absolutely needs to change is the collective has to have the option to direct your payment 100% to the program of your choice.

You have the option to donate to specific programs in athletics. Need it for NIL as well.

Some want it 100% to mens basketball, some 100% to women’s basketball, some both.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RIFan wrote: 3 weeks ago I’d be interested to know if your friends, family or colleagues who are pretty interested in their college and how they do are joining their collective? In my small circle of obvious cheapskates not a one has joined or donated to their schools collective, in fact my close friends that are uri alums outside of those here on the board have not donated and think it’s horrible. That is my highly unscientific survey results.
Yeah I have quite a few friends that have joined or donated (at URI and other schools). And in most cases they were people who did not donate to athletics before NIL either.
Interesting.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago One thing that I think absolutely needs to change is the collective has to have the option to direct your payment 100% to the program of your choice.

You have the option to donate to specific programs in athletics. Need it for NIL as well.

Some want it 100% to mens basketball, some 100% to women’s basketball, some both.
Yeah, I think that would probably be a good move to. I know I'd do it if given the option.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago
NCAA made rules that the schools and coaches can not contribute to the collectives. That works out very well for their bottom line. Let the fan bases try to outspend each other for players and laugh all the way to the bank. If we are going down this path contribute now before Nilflation gets totally out of control. I am sort of coming around to the idea. At least it is voluntary. I'm good with college basketball as soon as the coaches quit bitching about their plight at every opportunity.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 weeks ago One thing that I think absolutely needs to change is the collective has to have the option to direct your payment 100% to the program of your choice.

IIRC, Tammi raised more money this past season for the women's team than the men did.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Anyone know if there’s a difference between donating to the “contribute” link in the tweet vs the “one time contribution” option within the “subscribe” link?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Anyone know if there’s a difference between donating to the “contribute” link in the tweet vs the “one time contribution” option within the “subscribe” link?
Both go to the same place. Just one is a one time thing and the other is a subscription.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hard pass
this is a ponzi scheme

Clueless.
Stop that now

That's not what a ponzi scheme is. I'd say learn what a term really means before using it, but I also know who I'm responding to, so you're just going to keep dropping three quarters cocked posts
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

you are correct

i have no idea what it means

i had to google how to spell it out actually so you got me

let's call it something else then.. "menotpayingapennyforaplayerthatcanleaveinayear"

having said that.. i hope you all donate and subscribe tons of money
4 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
2 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

79RhodyFan wrote: 3 weeks ago Can coaches donate? If so maybe Archie should donate some of the $500,000 bonus he just received. He could consider it a investment in himself since it could help his coaching career get going again and out of the downward spiral
Was thinking the same thing
1 x