Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by RIFan »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... imitations

NCAA is fine with all the transfers and doesn’t care that schools are complaining about trying to keep stable rosters.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If the coaches are that concerned about it instead of complaining they should set an example for their players and fight for an NCAA rule that coaches can't leave their schools until their contracts run out.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago If the coaches are that concerned about it instead of complaining they should set an example for their players and fight for an NCAA rule that coaches can't leave their schools until their contracts run out.
lol...omigosh...high-larious...that could almost happen :lol:
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RIFan wrote: 2 months ago https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... imitations

NCAA is fine with all the transfers and doesn’t care that schools are complaining about trying to keep stable rosters.
Good article. Thanks for posting it, RIFan.

The big conferences pushing for some changes to the NCAAT - as in wanting more of their teams in. What a shock.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think comparing a coach leaving a school, which is a career, to a student athlete transferring is incredibly ridiculous.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 months ago I think comparing a coach leaving a school, which is a career, to a student athlete transferring is incredibly ridiculous.
"Student Athlete"....why, that's also 'high-larious'...
With dudes getting paid, it's a career. Maybe a short one, but it's a career just the same... They should have the players sign multi-year contracts if they don't want all that movement.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What I never understood about the collective, is if you like a player, wouldn't it be better to just pay them $50 a month directly? So you give to a collective and they decide? Seems backwards. Why give money to a group when you can pay the player you like directly?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

NIL news breaking this afternoon. Pertains to U.Tenn vs NCAA case. Judge orders injunction saying NIL rules irreparably harm student athletes.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

A federal judge in Tennessee granted a preliminary injunction on Friday afternoon that prohibits the NCAA from punishing any athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals during their recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal.

The door is wide open!!!!!!!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 2 months ago A federal judge in Tennessee granted a preliminary injunction on Friday afternoon that prohibits the NCAA from punishing any athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals during their recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal.

College basketball just died.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago
rjv wrote: 2 months ago A federal judge in Tennessee granted a preliminary injunction on Friday afternoon that prohibits the NCAA from punishing any athletes or boosters for negotiating name, image and likeness deals during their recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal.

"Show me the Money"
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago

"Show me the Money"
it's not surprising quite honestly. The cost of tuition and room and board, is just crazy. I question what these colleges mission is. Is it to educate our kids, or make money? Out of state tuition and room and board is about a quarter million dollars. In state tuition at URI for 4 years is $64k. Its insane.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting the story, RIFan. I will check it out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But, college hoops is like a cat...so...6-7 lives left?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If I am reading this right, all this pertains to is negotiating name, image and likeness deals during the recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal. Doesn't seem like too big of a deal. I would have a very hard time believing that wasn't happening already anyway.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago If I am reading this right, all this pertains to is negotiating name, image and likeness deals during the recruiting process or while they are in the transfer portal. Doesn't seem like too big of a deal. I would have a very hard time believing that wasn't happening already anyway.
It was is, only the NCAA Enfarcement police were rapping knuckles for it (see FSU and other school booster/collective exile stories) to make it seem like it wasn't. At this point, 'why' they'd bother...no idea
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

We all knew this was coming but now it is official......

After another courtroom loss, the NCAA has told its enforcement staff to halt investigations into booster-backed collectives or other third parties making name, image and likeness compensation deals with Division I athletes.

In a letter to member schools on Friday, NCAA President Charlie Baker said the the Division I Board of Directors directed enforcement staff "to pause and not begin investigations involving third-party participation in NIL-related activities."
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 month ago We all knew this was coming but now it is official......

After another courtroom loss, the NCAA has told its enforcement staff to halt investigations into booster-backed collectives or other third parties making name, image and likeness compensation deals with Division I athletes.

In a letter to member schools on Friday, NCAA President Charlie Baker said the the Division I Board of Directors directed enforcement staff "to pause and not begin investigations involving third-party participation in NIL-related activities."
shockdface.JPG
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I know little about NIL. Obviously, that said. Do we know who at Rhody gets what? Will e ever know? I ask cause the Mason fan seemed to what his player gets.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago I know little about NIL. Obviously, that said. Do we know who at Rhody gets what? Will e ever know? I ask cause the Mason fan seemed to what his player gets.
After this year? They got IOU's.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjv wrote: 1 month ago We all knew this was coming but now it is official......

It is now the Wild West with zero oversight and regulation. this is a complete shitshow.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Given that NIL is the Wild West, can NIL $’s include performance bonuses for wins, NCAAT appearances, all conference 1st team, conf player of the year etc. ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Does our collective have a Twitter account?

UMass is being very proactive here.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

After the NLRB ruling that Dartmouth men's basketball players were college employees, the players voted 13-2 on Tuesday 03/05/2024 to join the local services union which already represents many Dartmouth employees. The school is appealing the NLRB decision and was unsuccessful in delaying the players vote.

Dartmouth hoops players vote to join local union
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ocal-union
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

From Article by Nick Bromberg..Yahoo!Sports about why Nick Saban Retiring

Saban also talked about how the way the college football landscape is changing influenced his decision. He estimated that "maybe 70 or 80% of the players you talk to" wanted to know about their playing time for the upcoming season and how much they would be making in NIL money.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 1 month ago From Article by Nick Bromberg..Yahoo!Sports about why Nick Saban Retiring

Saban also talked about how the way the college football landscape is changing influenced his decision. He estimated that "maybe 70 or 80% of the players you talk to" wanted to know about their playing time for the upcoming season and how much they would be making in NIL money.
Asking about playing time isn’t something new.

That’s been one of the biggest recruiting factors since the beginning of time.

But yea, he’s stating the obvious saying playing time and NIL are being mentioned by recruits.

Nothing groundbreaking there.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago After the NLRB ruling that Dartmouth men's basketball players were college employees, the players voted 13-2 on Tuesday 03/05/2024 to join the local services union which already represents many Dartmouth employees. The school is appealing the NLRB decision and was unsuccessful in delaying the players vote.

Dartmouth hoops players vote to join local union
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ocal-union
Thanks for posting this, RF1. I forgot all about the upcoming vote the players were having.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
rjv wrote: 1 month ago From Article by Nick Bromberg..Yahoo!Sports about why Nick Saban Retiring

But yea, he’s stating the obvious saying playing time and NIL are being mentioned by recruits.

I'm so sick of whiny coaches with all the flexibility to go and do whatever they want while making millions to complain when the kids ask for a piece of the pie...not even their fair share.

For the ads that say "most of us will go pro in something other than sports" yeah that's 100% true, and they'll never come close to earning the money they're making for their school of choice in that 4 year period.

Until there's some type of CBA that shares all of the revenue given to a school with the players, than the madness will continue.

Also, Saban was making $12.7M. If he wanted to be altruistic about it, why not turn that money away and work for free?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

I'm so sick of whiny coaches with all the flexibility to go and do whatever they want while making millions to complain when the kids ask for a piece of the pie...not even their fair share.

For the ads that say "most of us will go pro in something other than sports" yeah that's 100% true, and they'll never come close to earning the money they're making for their school of choice in that 4 year period.

Until there's some type of CBA that shares all of the revenue given to a school with the players, than the madness will continue.

Also, Saban was making $12.7M. If he wanted to be altruistic about it, why not turn that money away and work for free?
Yes, this 1000%. Listening to these coaches whine about this stuff drives me crazy! 100% of the coaches (or their agents) are looking for what their next job is going to be or how they can get an extension and more money out of their current school.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago

Yes, this 1000%. Listening to these coaches whine about this stuff drives me crazy! 100% of the coaches (or their agents) are looking for what their next job is going to be or how they can get an extension and more money out of their current school.
To further that point, it was fine when bama donors could pay those guys illegally, but now that it’s an even playing field for everyone he doesn’t want it.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

To further that point, it was fine when bama donors could pay those guys illegally, but now that it’s an even playing field for everyone he doesn’t want it.
Ding ding ding!

Aww poor Saban! Can't buy the number one recruiting class anymore? Womp womp. SEC stronger than ever either Texas and Oklahoma? Georgia is basically Bama now, Tennessee is back, Ole Miss is better than they've ever been, LSU is LSU etc?

So sad people aren't laying down for him anymore.

From Bear Bryant on, Bama has been one of the most corrupt programs in college football. Been cheatin forever and not just with their sisters 🤮
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I get the coaches bitching. So, my response to them is…

Coach, then lead by example and/or adapt when you are done with your bitching.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wondering with NIL and the portal you may see it pushing guys like Saban into retirement earlier than they would like and possibly coaches going from college to pro ?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Wondering with NIL and the portal you may see it pushing guys like Saban into retirement earlier than they would like and possibly coaches going from college to pro ?
Already been happening in multiple sports for few years.

Coach K, Roy, Jay Wright, Boeheim.

Jeff Hafley, head coach of BC football, went to be DC for the Packers because of NIL and the portal.

Chip Kelly, head coach at UCLA, just wanted to coach, now the OC at Ohio St.

Those are just top of my head, there are multiple other instances as well.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Wondering with NIL and the portal you may see it pushing guys like Saban into retirement earlier than they would like and possibly coaches going from college to pro ?
It's why Jay Wright retired when he did, too.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yep, lots of coaches doing exactly what they complain about from the players, make as much money as you can and then take your money and run if things aren't in your favor anymore.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

New NIL Director, Stone, gave a short self intro in the Alumni Room last nite. Then he did some table visits. He did not get to where I was, but if he had, I was going to ask how will ever know who gets what NIL money? For me, that full disclosure is necessary.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago New NIL Director, Stone, gave a short self intro in the Alumni Room last nite. Then he did some table visits. He did not get to where I was, but if he had, I was going to ask how will ever know who gets what NIL money? For me, that full disclosure is necessary.
I think he would have told you a range, but not the specific amount any one player is receiving. None of the collectives disclose the per student amount.

As it is wages, I am unsure it is anyone’s business.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago
section(105) wrote: 1 month ago New NIL Director, Stone, gave a short self intro in the Alumni Room last nite. Then he did some table visits. He did not get to where I was, but if he had, I was going to ask how will ever know who gets what NIL money? For me, that full disclosure is necessary.
I think he would have told you a range, but not the specific amount any one player is receiving. None of the collectives disclose the per student amount.

Well OK. I guess if I am contributing to it(NIL)I have no expectation that where it goes?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago

Well OK. I guess if I am contributing to it(NIL)I have no expectation that where it goes?
Most likely can’t expect to know who is getting how much, just that it’s going to mens basketball.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Most likely can’t expect to know who is getting how much, just that it’s going to mens basketball.
OK thanks. I realize NIL money goes to more than hoops. When I see and hear other places with player X getting Y NIL, I guess that is leaked or disclosed. I would expect NIL administration costs are kept at a minimum. But when I am asked to dig deeper into my pockets, already donated to and season tickets, I would like some accountability of the funds to whom and how much. I am probably way out of step here. I get that. I think Stone has a challenging uphill climbin the URI environment.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is NIL only for basketball/football? Or every mens and women’s team?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

OK thanks. I realize NIL money goes to more than hoops. When I see and hear other places with player X getting Y NIL, I guess that is leaked or disclosed. I would expect NIL administration costs are kept at a minimum. But when I am asked to dig deeper into my pockets, already donated to and season tickets, I would like some accountability of the funds to whom and how much. I am probably way out of step here. I get that. I think Stone has a challenging uphill climbin the URI environment.
Don’t think you’re out of step to want to know what player(s) are getting your money. That’s completely fair.

I’m just not sure if collectives will openly disclose that, probably will have to get that off the record by whoever.

I will say, I don’t see the need to donate to strictly to athletics anymore for basketball.

I’ll only be giving to NIL going forward. Seems to be the most impactful way to give now.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Don’t think you’re out of step to want to know what player(s) are getting your money. That’s completely fair.

I’m just not sure if collectives will openly disclose that, probably will have to get that off the record by whoever.

I will say, I don’t see the need to donate to strictly to athletics anymore for basketball.

I’ll only be giving to NIL going forward. Seems to be the most impactful way to give now.
I don't think either side - players or collectives want the exact numbers getting out.

Players/managers/agents like the ambiguity to drive up the market. It's also the flex culture on social media that these kids would probably rather pretend like they're balling out and then don't have to hear that they spent 80% of their paycheck on a watch.

Likewise, for the collectives it's a poker game because they don't want other programs to know what they're actually spending so it can't be used against them in negotiation tactics.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The third, or more side, I can see potential negatives if the player and amounts were disclosed with player X missing the game critical front end of 1 and1 and then fans saying…… “we are paying in what….” I am sure this angle has been discussed. I guess it is the way of the world now, but put me down for not liking it, and probably won’t give to it as currently structured. Out.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI NIL Collective should ask for refunds from several Rhody players. They did not deliver on what they were paid for.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago The URI NIL Collective should ask for refunds from several Rhody players. They did not deliver on what they were paid for.
If we're going to do that then the school better be asking Archie for some money back to.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That kinda transparency will probably not happen until there's a salary cap. Until then, as tbr said to me last night...why wouldn't we just give the money to the players directly?
0 x