Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's a fair way to look at it. I certainly like that Stone's out in front of things already
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago Update with an email from Stone, don’t know if this is auto generated and sent to everyone and whatnot.

Seems like they are aware of the login problem.
AmericanEagle.com...at least that's what EEI says....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Join now, so we can all sit back and laugh about these last two seasons while we enjoy a beer together in the hotel bar at the site of our next NCAA tournament game.

https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/
4 x
JimmyBeeron
Jim Eitner

Unread post by JimmyBeeron »

Just joined the collective, gotta do my part to bring some success back to my beloved.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Lets all do our part with trying to will this program back to the glory days.

Boy do I miss the peak of the Hurley days and the feeling of having meaningful games with large crowds in the Ryan Center.

I just reupped with the transition to the new NIL Collective. Also increased the membership up one level.

We got to keep the word going this off season and try and build momentum.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tough to gauge what our NIL salary cap needs to be in order to buy all the free agents at the talent level we need.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Just signed up. Are you really going to notice an extra small charge on your credit card every month?

https://rhodyexcellence.com/join/
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My understanding of the NIL was that players could now share in the revenue derived from their name, image, and likeness. I guess that's just bullspeak for "Pony up, fan!"
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I previously gave one-time donations to the university but did decide to join the Collective.
Not necessarily because I felt it fundamentally makes sense but that I thought what the hell and might as well give something.

I can understand those based on principle who don't believe in it because the average fan doesn't actually profit off the NIL of the student athlete and why should they feel obligated to fund a flawed system.

The NCAA definitely blew it here, didn't set limitations, and the whole NIL didn't turn out to be what it was meant for, just became a pay-to-play and schools are basically buying players.

And now they can all become 1-year loaners trying to get the next best deal.

Between the coaching changes, portal movement, now professionalism, many of the longtime fans and are becoming disinterested, and it is hard to blame them.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago I previously gave one-time donations to the university but did decide to join the Collective.
Not necessarily because I felt it fundamentally makes sense but that I thought what the hell and might as well give something.

I can understand those based on principle who don't believe in it because the average fan doesn't actually profit off the NIL of the student athlete and why should they feel obligated to fund a flawed system.

The NCAA definitely blew it here, didn't set limitations, and the whole NIL didn't turn out to be what it was meant for, just became a pay-to-play and schools are basically buying players.

And now they can all become 1-year loaners trying to get the next best deal.

Between the coaching changes, portal movement, now professionalism, many of the longtime fans and are becoming disinterested, and it is hard to blame them.
For me bingo, Yahtzee, home run. This is exactly where I am, at this point. The biggest issues for me remains the accountability of the Collective regarding who(players))gets paid what money. It was pointed out because the money will be considered wages, it would not be disclosed. I most likely be shifting some/all of the previously donated money to Athletics in a one time give to the collective. Then go into to wait and see. I will holding my nose writing the check to the Collective.
Last edited by section(105) 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am with the GOAT...

RUINED college sports with the current setup

absolutely RUINED it
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It sure sucks but what choice do we have?

If not enough money is raised, we will be doomed to eternal suckdom.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The players are NOT getting a share of the pie. We're being expected to provide a whole nother pie. Pass. How much of the gajillion dollars in tournament TV dollars is going to the players? Wasn't that what the original beef was about? All that TV money and the players weren't getting any of it? Newsflash: THEY STILL AREN'T

The people that ARE still getting that cash must be laughing their asses off at all this 'collective' ish....
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

From the website Q&A:
DOES RHODY EXCELLENCE WORK WITH RECRUITS OR PROSPECTIVE STUDENT-ATHLETES?
No – In compliance with NIL regulations, Rhody Excellence will not meet with, contact, offer a deal, etc. to any prospective student-athlete. Until a student-athlete has signed their NLI and/or the institution has received a deposit of financial aid, they will not be contacted by Rhody Excellence.

If we are still playing by these rules the collective will not be successful. If no longer true update the darn website.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

We literally have the worst fans in the game sometimes.

Everyone loves to bitch and complain every second about the state of Rhody basketball. We make up ways to complain. The greatest thing on earth and we would still find a way to complain.

Well here we are presented a way to solve some of our issues. Alot of these things we had no way of controlling as a fanbase a few years ago. Well now each and everyone of us have a way that we can actually make a difference in the program and say we did our part. What do we do?
Complain more about it.

Just baffles me how much we like to complain but when there is a potential solution to some of the problems people resent that option too.
I guess we will just stay in a state of mediocrity more often than not.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI sold 70k tickets this year. Put a $5 NIL Fee on each ticket. That's $350K. If we sold out nightly, that would double.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago The players are NOT getting a share of the pie. We're being expected to provide a whole nother pie. Pass. How much of the gajillion dollars in tournament TV dollars is going to the players? Wasn't that what the original beef was about? All that TV money and the players weren't getting any of it? Newsflash: THEY STILL AREN'T

The people that ARE still getting that cash must be laughing their asses off at all this 'collective' ish....
It is sort of hilarious. If the "Collective" is doing most of the heavy lifting with recruiting it seems the coaching staffs should be paid a whole lot less to "coach basketball" since they are relieved of the majority of their "sales work". It has often been said that recruiting is a very large part of the job. The college sports arms race is out of control. If being a member of the "Collective" enabled you to purchase tickets at a discount that might make some sense. I'd not be surprised if the NCAA has made that illegal.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI has an inherent problem that the big boys dont have.

Our dedicated fan base is tiny compared to even some A10 programs like Dayton and VCU.

We depend on our few large boosters for the vast majority of donations dollar wise.

And if our small fan base is reluctant to donate, well that just adds to our problems.

We are going to have to wait and see who Archie can bring in the next couple of years.

To say I'm nervous about it is an understatement.

A failure to add substantial talent will be a death knell imo.
Last edited by rambone 78 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago From the website Q&A:
No – In compliance with NIL regulations, Rhody Excellence will not meet with, contact, offer a deal, etc. to any prospective student-athlete. Until a student-athlete has signed their NLI and/or the institution has received a deposit of financial aid, they will not be contacted by Rhody Excellence.

If we are still playing by these rules the collective will not be successful. If no longer true update the darn website.
Do you really think we’re following that rule?

We definitely are not along with every other collective.

They just have to put that on the website to save face.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they actually followed that rule, we wouldn't sign anybody even remotely good.

What bullshit.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

That, if true, doesn’t make me comfortable and confident the money will go where intended. Meaning the collective won’t be following its own rules a. Nice.
Last edited by section(105) 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago If they actually followed that rule, we wouldn't sign anybody even remotely good.

What bullshit.
Lol...are we saying that, the collective will be sure to break the rules and therefore be successful...and who wouldn't want to be part of that?
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago

We do not need to "save face". The court rulings are in the books. Are they going for it or not? Quit sending mixed signals if you want to raise money!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On February 23, U.S. District Judge Clifton L. Corker of the Eastern District of Tennessee, issued an opinion and order granting the Tennessee and Virginia attorneys generals’ (AG) request for a preliminary injunction enjoining the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) from enforcing its so-called “NIL-recruiting ban,” i.e., the current NCAA guidance that prohibits boosters and collectives from communicating with student-athletes about name, image, and likeness (NIL) opportunities before they commit to a particular school. The court found the AGs had established both a likelihood of success on the merits and irreparable harm that would occur absent imposition of the preliminary injunction. By granting the preliminary injunction, the court has set off a series of events that are sure to have wide-ranging implications both on the near- and long-term landscape of college sports.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 month ago

We do not need to "save face". The court rulings are in the books. Are they going for it or not? Quit sending mixed signals if you want to raise money!
Kids will know what they’d be getting before committing. That is a fact.

It may not DIRECTLY from Rhody Excellence, but the message with get through to the recruit before signing.

Assistant coaches, other boosters, support staff, etc etc will replay the message.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Kids will know what they’d be getting before committing. That is a fact.

It may not DIRECTLY from Rhody Excellence, but the message with get through to the recruit before signing.

Assistant coaches, other boosters, support staff, etc etc will replay the message.
The courts have already ruled and enjoined the NCAA from enforcing the ban on contacting recruits with NIL opportunities. So the Collective can contact recruits, and offer NIL deals prior to the recruit committing.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Just signed up - I am in the help the NIL - cant take the bottom 4 in the A10 anymore - but look at UMASS they had the two day bye. They are back at home again just like us.hh
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URIFIJI wrote: 1 month ago Just signed up - I am in the help the NIL - cant take the bottom 4 in the A10 anymore - but look at UMASS they had the two day bye. They are back at home again just like us.hh
Would rather win 20 games, finish 4th, lose in the quarters than go 12-19 and lost in the play in.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean we definitely are following that rule. Stone or our big donors aren't out there recruiting.

The collective's job is literally to collect the money and distribute it to current players with NIL agreements.

Like anything, the clearly legal part is for the coaching staff to know what the NIL is capable of providing and recruit to that extent.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URIFIJI wrote: 1 month ago Just signed up - I am in the help the NIL - cant take the bottom 4 in the A10 anymore - but look at UMASS they had the two day bye. They are back at home again just like us.hh
Would rather win 20 games, finish 4th, lose in the quarters than go 12-19 and lost in the play in.
Yeah if you had the hope of improving.

With the knowledge that my program was dropping to a mid-major level in the future I'd be less excited.

The clear priority for them is football. I can't imagine their NIL is really going to be focused on their basketball program.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 month ago

I mean we definitely are following that rule. Stone or our big donors aren't out there recruiting.

The collective's job is literally to collect the money and distribute it to current players with NIL agreements.

Like anything, the clearly legal part is for the coaching staff to know what the NIL is capable of providing and recruit to that extent.
I’m know they’re not out recruiting kids, I’m just saying there’s no way kids are committing here before knowing what they’re getting in NIL money.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I’m know they’re not out recruiting kids, I’m just saying there’s no way kids are committing here before knowing what they’re getting in NIL money.
Oh yeah 100%. I'm just saying that the collective is most definitely following that rule that they don't reach out to kids. It's legal for the staff to talk dollars with kids, that's 100% within the rules. Collectives can't.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Oh yeah 100%. I'm just saying that the collective is most definitely following that rule that they don't reach out to kids. It's legal for the staff to talk dollars with kids, that's 100% within the rules. Collectives can't.
Yup, said a couple posts above it’s coming from 3rd parties (coaches, other boosters, supper staff etc etc)

Didn’t clarify in my initial post.
2 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Reminds me of a saying "Those who know don't tell. Those who tell don't know."

How can you say that the Collective is meeting with, contacting, and offering a deal to a prospective student? Do you have info that this is happening. If so, you are so full of #$@%.

There is a lot of speculating here, that is just untrue.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BlueMan, please read the below court ruling from a couple of weeks ago

On February 23, U.S. District Judge Clifton L. Corker of the Eastern District of Tennessee, issued an opinion and order granting the Tennessee and Virginia attorneys generals’ (AG) request for a preliminary injunction enjoining the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) from enforcing its so-called “NIL-recruiting ban,” i.e., the current NCAA guidance that prohibits boosters and collectives from communicating with student-athletes about name, image, and likeness (NIL) opportunities before they commit to a particular school. The court found the AGs had established both a likelihood of success on the merits and irreparable harm that would occur absent imposition of the preliminary injunction. By granting the preliminary injunction, the court has set off a series of events that are sure to have wide-ranging implications both on the near- and long-term landscape of college sports.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago

Keep digging into it like this....and you're going to ruin the scam :lol: :lol:
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

LOL. I posted twice that a court enjoined the NCAA from preventing Collectives from contacting recruits and offering NIL deals. Yet people keep posting that a Collective can't contact recruits.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL. I posted twice that a court enjoined the NCAA from preventing Collectives from contacting recruits and offering NIL deals. Yet people keep posting that a Collective can't contact recruits.
I think they're (the collectives, including the Rhody one) gun shy to say anything, because the rules keep changing.
Still, this idea of collecting money from fans to pay players...is a huge freaking scam.
At this point, each player should just set up his own 'go fund collective me' where he gets all the money pledged, and makes his decision based on which schools fans donate the most.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

This is not a secret. As a result of these preliminary injunctions, the NCAA recalled their previous institutional Rules for NIL. A quick google search will also show you what the prior NCAA restrictions were.

This is not dispositive of the fact that Rhody Excellence is not contracting recruits.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago

This is not a secret. As a result of these preliminary injunctions, the NCAA recalled their previous institutional Rules for NIL. A quick google search will also show you what the prior NCAA restrictions were.

This is not dispositive of the fact that Rhody Excellence is not contracting recruits.
Too much lawyering for my simple mind....
The collective has said....they are not contacting recruits. It's what they said. Should people not believe them?

How does that align with "This is not dispositive of the fact that Rhody Excellence is not contracting recruits."
I mean, we all know they CAN contact recruits, but they have said they are not.
Are you implying that the collective may be lying? Like, it's some kind of wink wink nudge nudge organization?
(Not a lawyer, or a Holiday Inn Express fan, so I may have misconstrued what you meant.)
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

The collective has said....they are not contacting recruits. It's what they said. Should people not believe them?

How does that align with "This is not dispositive of the fact that Rhody Excellence is not contracting recruits."
Are you implying that the collective may be lying? Like, it's some kind of wink wink nudge nudge organization?
(Not a lawyer, or a Holiday Inn Express fan, so I may have misconstrued what you meant.)
Sorry, long day of lawyering.

I am saying that article does not prove that the Collective is now contacting recruits. And I will tell you with confidence that I do not believe that the Collective is contacting recruits.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I am saying that article does not prove that the Collective is now contacting recruits. And I will tell you with confidence that I do not believe that the Collective is contacting recruits.
So, who directs the money? Who decides if it goes to football, or mens hoops, or women's hoops? The coach(es)? The AD? The Collective?
#scam

They should do it like golf outing prizes...you buy a bunch of tickets and put them in the bag of the prize you want most.
You go online to the collective and you donate money directly to whatever player you want.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Reminds me of a saying "Those who know don't tell. Those who tell don't know."

How can you say that the Collective is meeting with, contacting, and offering a deal to a prospective student? Do you have info that this is happening. If so, you are so full of #$@%.

There is a lot of speculating here, that is just untrue.
You don’t need to say I’m full of shit, being a little extreme there.

The collective obviously is not out recruiting players.

Think it’s safe to assume whoever is running it doesn’t have one second of college basketball recruiting.

The kids who we recruit will 100% know how much money they are getting before committing. They will be told by someone. That’s all I’m saying.

Nobody is committing here blind not having any idea what they’re receiving in NIL money.
3 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

So, who directs the money? Who decides if it goes to football, or mens hoops, or women's hoops? The coach(es)? The AD? The Collective?
#scam

They should do it like golf outing prizes...you buy a bunch of tickets and put them in the bag of the prize you want most.
You go online to the collective and you donate money directly to whatever player you want.
Rhody Excellence is the collective for women's and men's basketball only. Other teams can and some do have their own NIL group.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed the day long discussion here of all these related issues.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

#scam

Rhody Excellence is the collective for women's and men's basketball only. Other teams can and some do have their own NIL group.
Got it. Does the donor get to decide if their RE donation goes to men's or women's hoops? If so, and all want their cash to go to the men's team, will the collective face Title IX problems?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

#scam

Got it. Does the donor get to decide if their RE donation goes to men's or women's hoops? If so, and all want their cash to go to the men's team, will the collective face Title IX problems?
I do not know if you can specify, but a private organization is not subject to Title IX. Remember, this is a private for profit corporation that does not report to the University.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 month ago I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed the day long discussion here of all these related issues.
I always enjoy having discussions with you and Mrs.105!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I do not know if you can specify, but a private organization is not subject to Title IX. Remember, this is a private for profit corporation that does not report to the University.
So, we're being asked to "donate" to a "private, for profit" org (to make sure not all of the dough gets to the players, I suppose). This keeps sounding more appealing all the time. I remember "for profit" colleges getting b-lasted in these pages.... colleges that actually give you a degree for your money, and now. we're encouraged to donate money to a 'for profit' middle man org. :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I love supporting this team and school, but only once a year or so (until I retire), then maybe I’ll have some extra scratch.
0 x
GO RAMS