‘21 MD PG Brayon Freeman (GW ---> URI ---> Coastal Carolina)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URI_05
ARD

Re: Brayon Freeman (GW -> URI Commit)

Unread post by URI_05 »

2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Great job from Archie. We really needed a guy that can shoot threes.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Great job from Archie. We really needed a guy that can shoot threes.
That was quick! Get players on campus and we have a great shot to get them.
7 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey there we go!

The ball is rolling!

Boom!
4 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Excellent news. He is a very good point guard and should only get better. The GW board thinks very highly of him. Kudos to Coach Johnson for getting him on campus and for Archie to close the deal. Welcome Brayon to Rhody!!
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kid had to commit just to get a recruiting thread on KB.
Raising the standards 😉
9 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yes! Welcome to Kingston Brayon!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Like this get. He seems like an efficient ball handler and scorer.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Excellent addition to the team by Archie and staff. Consistent shooting from three is such a need for Rhody. A 43% three point shooter sure helps. Go Rhody!

Welcome aboard, Brayon!
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

A pg who can shoot. I like!!!
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 2 years ago Great job from Archie. We really needed a guy that can shoot threes.
That was quick! Get players on campus and we have a great shot to get them.
That was certainly a strength under Hurley that faded during the Cox tenure
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago
Welcome Brayon! It will be much better having him on our side. #1 to commit. More time follow. Go Rhody!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s good to get a kid you know can produce in our league. And you get him before the year most kids make their biggest jump. Really like this as a first signing.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I can't find a lot of recent tape on him, but his high school tapes show a really good ballhandler with a killer cross over move and a really good shooter.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Got better as season went on. Had 13 double point games in conference play. Sheppard had 8, Leggett 6.
Last edited by Iggy1979 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I can't find a lot of recent tape on him, but his high school tapes show a really good ballhandler with a killer cross over move and a really good shooter.
I guess you do not have ESPN+. I remember watching the GW game against Rhode Island at GW sometime in February and thinking, damn our guards are not very good and watching Freeman and thinking, those are the kind of guards we used to have. He was very good the last half of the year for them, and he was excellent in that game. He started against us in Kingston as well and scored 9 points and had 5 assists, which was the loss that started the season going south in a hurry. He will be a very good player here, and will make others better as well. Very good first signing.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I can't find a lot of recent tape on him, but his high school tapes show a really good ballhandler with a killer cross over move and a really good shooter.
I guess you do not have ESPN+. I remember watching the GW game against Rhode Island at GW sometime in February and thinking, damn our guards are not very good and watching Freeman and thinking, those are the kind of guards we used to have. He was very good the last half of the year for them, and he was excellent in that game. He started against us in Kingston as well and scored 9 points and had 5 assists, which was the loss that started the season going south in a hurry. He will be a very good player here, and will make others better as well. Very good first signing.
I'm sure I was at the game in Kingston but my interest was not at an all time high. I was kind of just there. :lol:
4 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 2 years ago
I'm sure I was at the game in Kingston but my interest was not at an all time high. I was kind of just there. :lol:
It is funny that you say that like the season was a complete cluster all year. It was not, at the time they played GW they were 12-4, and 3-1 in the A10 coming off 3 straight A-10 wins and the loss being a close game at Davidson. Now as mentioned it was all down hill from there. He did not really jump out to me in that game, can't say that he did, but he definitely did in the second game. I was curious how he did the first time against us so I took a look at the box score and posted those numbers above. But I agree even when they had a good record, it was not exactly a compelling product to watch. And I mentioned that way back when I watched them scrimmage that the team was built for the 80's, not modern basketball with the emphasis on double bigs and woeful shooting.

I expect the next few years to be a much better product to watch, and Freeman will be a big part of that.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BUCKLE UP

NCAA

NO

DOUBT
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I tried to find some on you tube saw him go up Vs Epps but wasn’t certain what number he was

If anyone finds some decent vids post them here thanks
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Here’s highlights of our abysmal home game vs GW, Freeman has some highlights in this video, nbc sports networks has highlights of every A10 game that’s on there network so you could definitely find some of his highlights here
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

He seemed to really take a turn late in the season. He averaged 13.7 while shooting 58% from 3 in his final 9 games...
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll be honest I don't remember this kid at all from GW, but is he really known as a deep threat? I see the 43%, but he averaged less than 1 3-pointer per game. I feel like we overreact to percentages sometimes.

Either way I'm excited about this pick up. He can clearly play at this level and we needed a PG. I like the assist and steal numbers, and hopefully that FT% can improve a little over time.

Welcome to Rhody!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago

Here’s highlights of our abysmal home game vs GW, Freeman has some highlights in this video, nbc sports networks has highlights of every A10 game that’s on there network so you could definitely find some of his highlights here
Good highlights he looks like he’s going to fit in well here , we were up 18-3 in that game so typical of us to blow that
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Great news! Welcome aboard Bray! On ESPN he was ranked the 10th best prospect in MD for his class…who was #9?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... view/state
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'll be honest I don't remember this kid at all from GW, but is he really known as a deep threat? I see the 43%, but he averaged less than 1 3-pointer per game. I feel like we overreact to percentages sometimes.

Either way I'm excited about this pick up. He can clearly play at this level and we needed a PG. I like the assist and steal numbers, and hopefully that FT% can improve a little over time.

Welcome to Rhody!
No he's not known as a 3 pt shooter. In high school, it was something he was lacking, but he improved it based on his %. He has a beautiful mid-range. He can pull up and has an excellent step back. While watching him at GW this year, I noticed how well he finishes with both hands. He finishes in traffic, He is solid in the pick and roll because he is very good at lobs or utilizing his floater. He's fast with the ball and has a high IQ. Fantastic player for Archie's system.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago BUCKLE UP

NCAA

NO

DOUBT
Prepare for the dam break....
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Smart pickup to get a guy who has played a lot of minutes in the A10 and had success. P5 guys who didn’t get minutes at their school may be really good when they drop a level, but you won’t know.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Why aren't we getting more responses from people on here? This is a great get!!! Let's go!!!!!!!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Big fan of this pickup. Very skilled player w a beautiful shot, under control at all times and efficient playmaker.
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Awesome great interview , Kenny Johnson paying quick dividends
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I can't recall seeing him play, so no real read on his game. But I can read "43.6% from 3" and like that a LOT. Have we ever had one of those?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I can't recall seeing him play, so no real read on his game. But I can read "43.6% from 3" and like that a LOT. Have we ever had one of those?
Carey shot 46.7% and El Ahmin shot 41.9% from 3 this year.

Similar sample sizes as well.

Freeman: 24-55

Carey: 14-30

El Ahmin: 36-86
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What I can say about Freeman is if he wants to be liked here, he better not get 70 TO's next year like he did last year..
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I can't recall seeing him play, so no real read on his game. But I can read "43.6% from 3" and like that a LOT. Have we ever had one of those?

K, so not that great? I'll wait then.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

It’s too bad El didn’t have a year left to play under Archie’s guidance. I think Archie would scheme different ways to get him open shots.

Hopefully Freeman will be more aggressive than El in getting shots. I trust Archie will place Freeman in positions to have success, as well.

If Carey can continue to shoot the three well and improve on his turnovers then he can be a very integral piece on offense also.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

As a 5th year player El Ahmin was a huge disappointment. He disappeared so often.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago As a 5th year player El Ahmin was a huge disappointment. He disappeared so often.

I don’t think he was a huge disappointment, rather the offensive scheme (get it to the Mitchell’s)did not take advantage of his strengths. That was the real disappointment.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

You asked if we ever had someone shoot that percentage from 3.

We had two this season who did.

Don’t know what else you’re trying to getting at.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

There is so much more to his game. Yes, he shot the 3 well last year but he didn't take a lot of them. He's much better in the midrange and penetrating to the hoop..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago As a 5th year player El Ahmin was a huge disappointment. He disappeared so often.

I don’t think he was a huge disappointment, rather the offensive scheme (get it to the Mitchell’s)did not take advantage of his strengths. That was the real disappointment.
Totally agree...How the hell were our guards supposed to do anything last year when our game plan was to throw it to the Twins over and over and over again. They had nowhere to go.. EA would be great in Archie's system. You're going to see a totally different Ish this year because of Archie's system.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Some great tape of Freeman in this game.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

2010-2011 Nikola Malesevic shot 45.8% from 3 - 54 made on 118 attempts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You asked if we ever had someone shoot that percentage from 3.

We had two this season who did.

Don’t know what else you’re trying to getting at.
Nothing, you're right, hi 40s seems like a lot, but if not making two a game, doesn't seem like as much.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
Some great tape of Freeman in this game.
Great find , Bray had some nice shots on that tape
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Awesome great interview , Kenny Johnson paying quick dividends
Great to get a legitimate starter as our first transfer!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago I'll be honest I don't remember this kid at all from GW, but is he really known as a deep threat? I see the 43%, but he averaged less than 1 3-pointer per game. I feel like we overreact to percentages sometimes.

Welcome to Rhody!
I think the important things about the percentage are he's not hunting his own offense, he has good recognition about what is a good shot to take, and he should still be productive if and when he gets more aggressive in taking shots.

Along with getting a little more aggressive and his free throw percentage, I'd like to see him improve his assist to turnover ratio. He was at 1.57 for the whole season, but that improved to 1.68 during the conference schedule. It's below what Fatts did here although pretty much in line with Fatts' final season with us, well below Jarvis Garrett, and even further below Jeff Dowtin, but with only one season of college ball there's plenty of time/room for improvement.

Overall I really like this signing. One year of good production at our level, three years of eligibility left, and room for improvement. Very well done for our first new player
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago

Welcome to Rhody!
I think the important things about the percentage are he's not hunting his own offense, he has good recognition about what is a good shot to take, and he should still be productive if and when he gets more aggressive in taking shots.

Along with getting a little more aggressive and his free throw percentage, I'd like to see him improve his assist to turnover ratio. He was at 1.57 for the whole season, but that improved to 1.68 during the conference schedule. It's below what Fatts did here although pretty much in line with Fatts' final season with us, well below Jarvis Garrett, and even further below Jeff Dowtin, but with only one season of college ball there's plenty of time/room for improvement.

Overall I really like this signing. One year of good production at our level, three years of eligibility left, and room for improvement. Very well done for our first new player
Good breakdown on his game. Thanks!

With 3 years of guidance, potentially, under Archie and the staff, he has time to grow into an excellent A10 PG. Hope he sticks with it here and puts in the work.

As an aside, it’s funny how my thinking has evolved since we had Jeff D on the team. I favored athleticism over basketball IQ before Jeff but since, I lean towards basketball IQ some (I’ll throw in attitude, too with IQ). Jeff wasn’t the most explosive athletically but he had and has exceptional basketball IQ and attitude. I hope Freeman can approach that level over time. I think Jeff is a great role model to follow for a Rhody PG in recent history (last 10 years).
2 x