New RI License Plates

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

New RI License Plates

Unread post by theblueram »

I was listening to Bud Cradick, the DMV Director talk about the new plate design. He said people will like it and the color is more of a Rhody Blue like the URI sports teams wear. I just wish he said Keaney Blue, but at least we got some props.

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: New RI License Plates

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I preferred the center design, but the winning design is Ozk too.

Final candidates:

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Honestly it’s not all that different than the current design.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I looked at the 600+ designs and I don't think many were very creative. The waves on the new plate look like the teeth on a chain saw chain to me.
I have a Plum Beach Lighthouse plate, I don't think many designs came close to the creativity if you wish to call it that, on the Plum Beach Plate.
I think new designs could have been done better.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

I like the new plate and I'm glad its not all that different than the old design. Hopefully it is brighter and stands out more than old.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would’ve liked either of the bottom two.

Some sun, but incorporating the ocean as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Those waves look like saw teeth to me.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah reminds me of sharpening uncle’s chain saw blades while working in his tree business. No burrs!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's not bad. I can live with it. I have a vet plate so it doesn't impact me. But looking at the submissions, the one I loved was the one that said The PotHole State. That was great!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s the safe pick. The current design has the waves, but you can only see like half of the second wave so it’s not as literal of an ocean wave. The bridges are nice but maybe tough to read on a small plate.
1 x
GO RAMS
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

I will never understand Rhode Islanders obsession with license plates.
2 x
:lol:
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago It’s the safe pick. The current design has the waves, but you can only see like half of the second wave so it’s not as literal of an ocean wave. The bridges are nice but maybe tough to read on a small plate.
I agree with this, and I was going to say that the state should do more "specialty" plates... But man, I didn't realize how many variants they offer already. And that there is a Providence College plate, but not URI. It seems like any organization that gets 600 preorders can get a plate made, but I'm not sure who would spearhead that at URI.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago I will never understand Rhode Islanders obsession with license plates.
It's not just Rhody, but I don't get it either. If they discounted my car tax, I'd let them advertise Big Blue Bug on my plate is how much I care.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I like the middle design the best too.

They should have designed one like the classic Don Bousquet cartoon, that showed a car driving into the ocean......and the caption The Ocean State at the top.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I was listening to WPRO this morning and Gene had a guest on talking about what I believe is a new URI license plate. I only caught the very end , but a gentleman was describing something to have a reflective Kearney blue color for URI, and I assume this was about a license plate. Can anyone confirm? He referenced DMV but I can’t find anything.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Haven't heard of anything URI relate but I'm thinking they will be put up here when available:

https://dmv.ri.gov/registrations-plates ... ity-plates
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:

Archie Miller 2022-?:
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago Haven't heard of anything URI relate but I'm thinking they will be put up here when available:

I clicked on this link and now I wish I did not. WTF is the State of Rhode Island doing with a Providence College license plate!! This is outrageous and is the first time I am aware of this. Any love for the State School which employs ten times the number of people in this state and serves many more RI students and their families. Nope, maybe now since PC has one. Time to contact my state rep and let him know this is utter rubbish. Only in this backwards state would something like this happen. Yes I am venting pissed off about the Bruins and clicked on this thinking this would be great that there will be a URI plate. Fuck PC and fuck the leaders in this state that let shit like this happen. The private small ass catholic college that brings a fraction of the economic impact that the State flagship does and is better treated is an outrage.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylocal wrote: 1 year ago Haven't heard of anything URI relate but I'm thinking they will be put up here when available:

I clicked on this link and now I wish I did not. WTF is the State of Rhode Island doing with a Providence College license plate!! This is outrageous and is the first time I am aware of this. Any love for the State School which employs ten times the number of people in this state and serves many more RI students and their families. Nope, maybe now since PC has one. Time to contact my state rep and let him know this is utter rubbish. Only in this backwards state would something like this happen. Yes I am venting pissed off about the Bruins and clicked on this thinking this would be great that there will be a URI plate. Fuck PC and fuck the leaders in this state that let shit like this happen. The private small ass catholic college that brings a fraction of the economic impact that the State flagship does and is better treated is an outrage.
wow.

tell us how you don't know what you're talking about without telling us you don't know what you're talking about.

your anger should be directed toward the URI Foundation. Not PC or the Bruins or Hasbro or the food bank or the state, or any other entity that has a CHARITY plate. take it up with the URI Foundation. Why have they not done the simple paperwork to make it happen? maybe you can take the lead on the that.

or have they and their efforts to get the minimum orders not been enough to go to production?

can't wait to get my shark plate.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago

wow.

tell us how you don't know what you're talking about without telling us you don't know what you're talking about.

your anger should be directed toward the URI Foundation. Not PC or the Bruins or Hasbro or the food bank or the state, or any other entity that has a CHARITY plate. take it up with the URI Foundation. Why have they not done the simple paperwork to make it happen? maybe you can take the lead on the that.

or have they and their efforts to get the minimum orders not been enough to go to production?

Why not both?

It's completely fair to be mad at the General Assembly when you consider the law allowing the PC plate specifically is for private colleges only, so URI was not allowed to move forward under this law.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Stat ... -3-105.HTM

It's also fair to wonder why the URI Foundation or the Alumni Association wasn't moving forward on our own plate when this came out back in 2016
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I was listening to WPRO this morning and Gene had a guest on talking about what I believe is a new URI license plate. I only caught the very end , but a gentleman was describing something to have a reflective Kearney blue color for URI, and I assume this was about a license plate. Can anyone confirm? He referenced DMV but I can’t find anything.
It looks like you can find that interview here:

https://www.997wpro.com/podcasts/

If no one else gets around to checking this out I might later, but I hate Valicenti, so maybe I won't be motivated enough to listen to that blowhard
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

In short, the keaney blue was mentioned because it was used in the new standard plates, but no URI plates.
2 x
GO RAMS
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

wow.

Why not both?

It's completely fair to be mad at the General Assembly when you consider the law allowing the PC plate specifically is for private colleges only, so URI was not allowed to move forward under this law.

It's also fair to wonder why the URI Foundation or the Alumni Association wasn't moving forward on our own plate when this came out back in 2016
so i understand, you're saying a private entity cannot have a charitable fund? because that's exactly what this is.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

wow.

Why not both?

so i understand, you're saying a private entity cannot have a charitable fund? because that's exactly what this is.
I'm saying why is the state letting a private entity use the state for a charitable fund and not extend the same offer to a different state entity?
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Why not both?

I'm saying why is the state letting a private entity use the state for a charitable fund and not extend the same offer to a different state entity?
Because the Angel Fund @ PC took the necessary steps.

it's up to the entity (URI Foundation / Alumni Assoc.) to do the same. it's not the job of the GA or DMV to go out soliciting organizations to make license plates.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dude, just get a shark plate and chill....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Because the Angel Fund @ PC took the necessary steps.

it's up to the entity (URI Foundation / Alumni Assoc.) to do the same. it's not the job of the GA or DMV to go out soliciting organizations to make license plates.
I'm not absolving us of blame, but since you clearly didn't read the state law that allows PC to do this, here you go:

"Special plate for Rhode Island private colleges and universities.

(a) The administrator of the division of motor vehicles is empowered to make available special motor vehicle registration plates for passenger vehicles based upon the various independent, nonprofit institutions of higher education (Brown University, Bryant University, Johnson & Wales University, New England Institute of Technology, Providence College, Rhode Island School of Design, Roger Williams University, and/or Salve Regina University)."

So this isn't just PC and their Angel Fund doing work, this is the state allowing all private colleges to come up with their own plate and not allowing any of their public colleges to do the same.

Both the General Assembly and the University are at fault in this, just like I said
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

please copy your collective angry emails to your various state reps here.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from 2018 for PC License Plates

https://news.providence.edu/rhode-islan ... nse-plate/
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 11 months ago please copy your collective angry emails to your various state reps here.
I tried to work with mine for almost two years. Went nowhere so now I don't vote for him anymore
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Dude, just get a shark plate and chill....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m tempted to get the shark plate but if there was a URI plate I would get that instead.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago I’m tempted to get the shark plate but if there was a URI plate I would get that instead.
My wife ordered the shark plate yesterday. She didn't like the new state plates.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I have started to like the new Ocean plates. They have a complex color gradient that doesn't come through in simple online photos. That said, I'm partial to the old Sail Boat plate which was on my first car - a 1988 Volvo 240 DL.

RI_D3826YT RI Sailboat-Ocean.png
RI_D3826YT RI Sailboat-Ocean.png (26.95 KiB) Viewed 10511 times

But the Plum Beach Lighthouse is the best RI plate available today.

plum-beach-lighthouse-2021.jpg
0 x
limkangyoung
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by limkangyoung »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago Article from 2018 for PC License Plates

https://news.providence.edu/rhode-islan ... nse-plate/
Is it possible to buy them now, as a souvenir for example? Does anyone know about it?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago It’s the safe pick. The current design has the waves, but you can only see like half of the second wave so it’s not as literal of an ocean wave. The bridges are nice but maybe tough to read on a small plate.
I agree with this, and I was going to say that the state should do more "specialty" plates... But man, I didn't realize how many variants they offer already. And that there is a Providence College plate, but not URI. It seems like any organization that gets 600 preorders can get a plate made, but I'm not sure who would spearhead that at URI.
"So if the Friars get a license plate, what about the University of Rhode Island?

'As of this time, I have not heard from URI.' Chuck Hollis, the DMV assistant administrator, wrote in an email."

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... -nletter65

We're clearly not being proactive enough on this front. That said, again the law doesn't allow us to pursue our own license plate at this time, which the DMV administrator fails to acknowledge.

Probably time to start bombarding the Alumni Association and Foundation so that they're ready to move forward in January when the General Assembly goes back into session
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Personally, I don’t much care that PC has a license plate and we don’t. I’ve never seen one on the road, and if I did I would probably get the same feeling if I saw someone with spinner rims on their car.
1 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:

Archie Miller 2022-?:
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

rhodylocal wrote: 9 months ago Personally, I don’t much care that PC has a license plate and we don’t. I’ve never seen one on the road, and if I did I would probably get the same feeling if I saw someone with spinner rims on their car.
jealousy isn't a good luck for the Keaney Blue.

0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Totally disagree with the nonchalant attitude about this issue. But with attitudes like this from alumni (I assume) it is no wonder this stuff continues to happen. Branding matters and is very important. Perception matters. Why do you think companies spend millions of dollars on their branding and messaging. Only in Rhode Island would a small private catholic college have a vanity plate made for it and the state university does not. And the response is "I have not heard from URI." How about reaching out to them and proposing it to them. I would bet you that he or someone from his office reached out to PC about this vanity plate. These optics are terrible and it does not matter if there are only 500 or so PC vanity plates out there. It just puts them on a pedestal. It is 2023 and the same shit in this state continues to happen. I love this state it is a beautiful place to live and raise a family and I still do live here but man they do so many thinks backwards. You can't work here as there really are not many job opportunities even though it is located between NY and Boston due to it being one of the least friendly business states to operate in. It has improved but still not very good. I work in the Boston area and have for a long time, and you certainly cannot retire here if you have a modicum of assets. Quite a few years away from that but will be heading out of state when that time comes due to one of the worse estate tax schemes in America. Now that MA is going to revamp their estate tax, RI may be the absolute worse.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I actually started to like the new wave plates.

That said, we like the Plum Beach Lighthouse plates more and will get those for our new minivan.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 9 months ago Totally disagree with the nonchalant attitude about this issue. But with attitudes like this from alumni (I assume) it is no wonder this stuff continues to happen. Branding matters and is very important. Perception matters. Why do you think companies spend millions of dollars on their branding and messaging. Only in Rhode Island would a small private catholic college have a vanity plate made for it and the state university does not. And the response is "I have not heard from URI." How about reaching out to them and proposing it to them. I would bet you that he or someone from his office reached out to PC about this vanity plate. These optics are terrible and it does not matter if there are only 500 or so PC vanity plates out there. It just puts them on a pedestal. It is 2023 and the same shit in this state continues to happen. I love this state it is a beautiful place to live and raise a family and I still do live here but man they do so many thinks backwards. You can't work here as there really are not many job opportunities even though it is located between NY and Boston due to it being one of the least friendly business states to operate in. It has improved but still not very good. I work in the Boston area and have for a long time, and you certainly cannot retire here if you have a modicum of assets. Quite a few years away from that but will be heading out of state when that time comes due to one of the worse estate tax schemes in America. Now that MA is going to revamp their estate tax, RI may be the absolute worse.
It doesn't take URI to get a plate. It takes someone with initiative to get the plate. It only takes 600 people to sign up for a plate to get them made. Hell, I bet someone on here like Adam could design a plate and push it on this site and we could get 600 people to sign up for it. All proceeds go to URI Basketball. It's really not that hard.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m Debbie Downer here. I would save the additional fees for an affinity license plate. Put a Rhody sticker on my rear window and donate the saved fees to Rhody Athletics directly.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 9 months ago I’m Debbie Downer here. I would save the additional fees for an affinity license plate. Put a Rhody sticker on my rear window and donate the saved fees to Rhody Athletics directly.
Ramulous
you do know the additional $10 per registration goes to the organization, right? So if 600 people sign up for a URI Basketball plate, each time they renew, that's $6k to the program.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I knew that. I referred to keeping the fee and giving it directly to the University
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !