'21 PA PG - Rahsool Diggins (UConn ---> UMass)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

'21 PA PG - Rahsool Diggins (UConn ---> UMass)

Unread post by Matunuck »

Rahsool Diggins - PG
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
School: Archbishop Wood Catholic High School
Travel / AAU: Unknown

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 175

RANKINGS
Verbal Commits: 4 star recruit in 2021 rankings
Rivals: 4 stars, 59th nationally, 11th at position in 2021
ESPN: 4 stars, 85 grade, 58th overall nationally, 12th at position nationally, 8th in region overall, 2nd in state in 2021
247 Sports: 4 stars, 0.9780 composite score, 59th overall nationally, 10th at position nationally, 4th in state as of 2021

OFFERS - 2021
UConn
Bryant
DePaul (visited)
Denver
Florida
Hofstra
Iona
Kansas
La Salle
UMass
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rutgers (visited)
St. Louis
Siena
St. Bonaventure
St. Peter's
Villanova
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Xavier

INTEREST - 2022
Rhode Island
FGCU
Georgia
Iona
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Temple
UMass
VCU
Xavier

SG EDIT, 4/11/22, 11:50 a.m. - Finally put the profile in! Thanks to Matunuck for the initial thread creation on this.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Re: Rahsool Diggins

Travis Branham from 247SportsPortal is reporting Rahsool Diggins, UConn transfer, 4* prospect is hearing from URI
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Matunuck wrote: 2 years ago Travis Branham from 247SportsPortal is reporting Rahsool Diggins, UConn transfer, 4* prospect is hearing from URI
We will have plenty of company.
0 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PowderBlueButBetter »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Matunuck wrote: 2 years ago Travis Branham from 247SportsPortal is reporting Rahsool Diggins, UConn transfer, 4* prospect is hearing from URI
We will have plenty of company.
Penn State, Xavier, FGCU, VCU, UMass, Georgia, Temple, Pittsburgh, and Iona
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Already going at it with Sean. X is the stiffest comp within that group...mix of playing time, conference and Archie track record should trump all the other suitors.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I saw he entered the portal about a week ago. I was wondering if we might get involved. I don’t know much about him other than he was a 4* out of HS and didn’t play much at all this past season.

Does anyone have any insight on Diggins’ game?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rahsool is fiercely competitive. The UConn staff were all in on him after seeing a high school game of his that went 7 crazy overtimes, and he was all over the place (in a good way). He arrived on campus all pumped up and kind of got his butt handed to him from the first practice. Not unexpected for freshmen, but he wasn’t counting on it. Then, he had a knee injury that had him out right when the season was starting, and things just stalled for him. UConn needed guards this past season, but the staff didn’t see enough from him in practice to get him in games. He was frustrated all season long, didn’t always handle it great, but I’m not going to kill a young guy for that. He’s a combo guard that’s a little in between, imo. He put on some muscle this last season but can still get pushed around. Outside shot needs work. He’ll be plenty motivated at his next stop, and he’s a really likable kid. He played at Archbishop Wood, same high school as Collin Gillespie.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Rahsool is fiercely competitive. The UConn staff were all in on him after seeing a high school game of his that went 7 crazy overtimes, and he was all over the place (in a good way). He arrived on campus all pumped up and kind of got his butt handed to him from the first practice. Not unexpected for freshmen, but he wasn’t counting on it. Then, he had a knee injury that had him out right when the season was starting, and things just stalled for him. UConn needed guards this past season, but the staff didn’t see enough from him in practice to get him in games. He was frustrated all season long, didn’t always handle it great, but I’m not going to kill a young guy for that. He’s a combo guard that’s a little in between, imo. He put on some muscle this last season but can still get pushed around. Outside shot needs work. He’ll be plenty motivated at his next stop, and he’s a really likable kid. He played at Archbishop Wood, same high school as Collin Gillespie.

What you just described seems like epitome of the transfer epidemic/portal now.

Highly touted recruit, goes into freshman season expecting
big minutes, things don’t go his way, pouts/bad attitude (referring to you saying he didn’t handle it well), and immediately bolts for more playing time instead of sticking it out and working towards getting minutes.

Not saying anything is wrong with it, but I could see the ole timers saying “back in my day, kids stayed, worked on their game, and earned their minutes.”
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago Rahsool is fiercely competitive. The UConn staff were all in on him after seeing a high school game of his that went 7 crazy overtimes, and he was all over the place (in a good way). He arrived on campus all pumped up and kind of got his butt handed to him from the first practice. Not unexpected for freshmen, but he wasn’t counting on it. Then, he had a knee injury that had him out right when the season was starting, and things just stalled for him. UConn needed guards this past season, but the staff didn’t see enough from him in practice to get him in games. He was frustrated all season long, didn’t always handle it great, but I’m not going to kill a young guy for that. He’s a combo guard that’s a little in between, imo. He put on some muscle this last season but can still get pushed around. Outside shot needs work. He’ll be plenty motivated at his next stop, and he’s a really likable kid. He played at Archbishop Wood, same high school as Collin Gillespie.

big minutes, things don’t go his way, pouts/bad attitude (referring to you saying he didn’t handle it well), and immediately bolts for more playing time instead of sticking it out and working towards getting minutes.

Not saying anything is wrong with it, but I could see the ole timers saying “back in my day, kids stayed, worked on their game, and earned their minutes.”
Maybe. Or maybe he watched a season of Big East games and thinks he could make a quicker and bigger impact in a different conference? I don’t know. I guess if he goes to Xavier that’s not it. UConn had another freshman who didn’t get many minutes, and he still seems all in. Guys want different things.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, Ace!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe. Or maybe he watched a season of Big East games and thinks he could make a quicker and bigger impact in a different conference? I don’t know. I guess if he goes to Xavier that’s not it. UConn had another freshman who didn’t get many minutes, and he still seems all in. Guys want different things.
Ace and 15, check out the posts by Spuwho in the last two pages of the Brafford thread. I think you will both find his posts interesting. In the meantime, thanks for the discussion. I appreciate the perspectives because it is difficult for me to gauge the mind of a teenager - and I had two of them! :D
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Archie went to visit Diggins yesterday, per Adam Zagoria
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago
Close the deal Arch
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Close the deal Arch
Would think we have a decent shot with Arch going to close the deal
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Close the deal Arch
Would think we have a decent shot with Arch going to close the deal
Wish he would have stopped working on that Penn State visit after Archie met with him yesterday.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I know Penn State is a big time college with a big time name (and big time parties, as I learned my freshman year when I visited a friend there).

BUT, State College is in the middle of nowhere and basketball plays second fiddle to football by a mile.

I would have to think that since we now have Archie, URI will start out recruiting the likes of Penn State. Maybe not this year, but in the next couple once Archie hits his stride.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Trust me, we will out recruit Penn State. Maybe not this recruit, but Archie will get us the players.
0 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

Penn State should not be something we have to worry about
1 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago Penn State should not be something we have to worry about
Don't know what you mean by this...Big 10 is without question a better league and Penn State finished with a better conference record than us. IMO- this feels like the exact kind of school we would want to be competing for recruits with. Penn State, UConn, Maryland, Seton Hall are all schools Archie should be looking to beat in recruiting battles
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is Diggins a point guard?
0 x
PowderBlueButBetter
Frenchy Tomlin

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Is Diggins a point guard?
Yes

https://247sports.com/player/rahsool-diggins-46056543/
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: '21 PA PG - Rahsool Diggins (UConn ---> ??? )

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Profile updated.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Never good when a recruit visits one school, and then goes and visits another.

Usually the first school didn't do enough to tie him down.
0 x
Go Rhody
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Never good when a recruit visits one school, and then goes and visits another.

Could be true but it is also true that it would be unwise for a young recruit to close his doors and not evaluate every single one of his options that will permanently alter the future of his life forever.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DevRam wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Never good when a recruit visits one school, and then goes and visits another.

Could be true but it is also true that it would be unwise for a young recruit to close his doors and not evaluate every single one of his options that will permanently alter the future of his life forever.
I think it's a case-by-case situation. Some kids want to find their school and commit asap. Some like to wait it out, enjoy their visits, and experience another off-season of getting recruited.... If I'm a recruit that gets to relive this experience again I'm visiting a few schools. It's a lot of fun for these kids...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
DevRam wrote: 2 years ago

I think it's a case-by-case situation. Some kids want to find their school and commit asap. Some like to wait it out, enjoy their visits, and experience another off-season of getting recruited.... If I'm a recruit that gets to relive this experience again I'm visiting a few schools. It's a lot of fun for these kids...
And now you can do it every year. Name in portal and see whose interested, compare NIL opportunities, compare playing time potential, post season potential……the Wild West has its pluses and minuses
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't think Diggins has visited URI. I think Archie went to UConn to see him.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think Diggins has visited URI. I think Archie went to UConn to see him.
Ya, I didn't see that he visited either. Archie went to him
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If I had a kid good enough to play div 1 ball, I would certainly want them to visit every place they could (if I couldn't lean them towards Rhody, of course).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Kinda of the way dating and marriage goes!!!
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago If I had a kid good enough to play div 1 ball, I would certainly want them to visit every place they could (if I couldn't lean them towards Rhody, of course).
From a non-athletic search it is highly recommended to come up with a final list of no more than 5 to visit. I think it should be the same for D1 athletes.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 years ago
Well that just got a whole lot more interesting.

Two new coaches battling it out 2 weeks after getting hired
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

UMass already has a pretty good PG in Noah Fernandes. Pretty sure Diggins would be an immediate starter with lots of minutes here.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

nice !

LFG
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Frank vs Archie is going to be Bird vs Magic.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Significant that Archie gets the last word with him. I think we get him given wide open minutes in our backcourt. That and UMass is still as desirable a place to play as my recycle bin.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Should be some interesting recruiting battles between Frank and Archie.

Always seemed like as far as recruiting and "sales" go, there aren't many coaches out there better than Frank Martin.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PillPushr wrote: 2 years ago Should be some interesting recruiting battles between Frank and Archie.

Always seemed like as far as recruiting and "sales" go, there aren't many coaches out there better than Frank Martin.
I’ve made the point before here and so I don’t want to be a broken record every time this comes up for as long as the guy is at UMass. But there is no part of me that understands the appeal of Frank Martin, and it isn’t because he’s at UMass (it’s actually a perfect fit in my mind because there’s also no part of me that gets the appeal of UMass, either). Way before he went to UMass I have been on the record as finding his whole shtick grating and annoying. I was not interested in URI pursuing him when our search was ongoing. I wouldn’t play for him or a coach like him unless I had literally zero alternatives, and even then I’d consider just not playing.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Diggy do the right thing and pick Rhody over UMass you will not regret it !!
2 x
MTK4L
Steve Chubin

Unread post by MTK4L »

PowderBlueButBetter wrote: 2 years ago
MTK4L wrote: 2 years ago Penn State should not be something we have to worry about
Don't know what you mean by this...Big 10 is without question a better league and Penn State finished with a better conference record than us. IMO- this feels like the exact kind of school we would want to be competing for recruits with. Penn State, UConn, Maryland, Seton Hall are all schools Archie should be looking to beat in recruiting battles
See.. I wasn’t wrong was I ?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Diggins and Tre would be a pretty nice start to the rebuild!
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Diggins and Tre would be a pretty nice start to the rebuild!
Even Sean Durugordon and Diggins would be a great start.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Our eggs are in the Duggins and Durogordon baskets
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."