'20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri ---> Austin Peay ---> Siena)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri > ???)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

P5s were not interested.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

reminds me of years ago when they were in the NCAA and the crowd chanting

LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago reminds me of years ago when they were in the NCAA and the crowd chanting

LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
I don't know that song. :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago Committed Austin Peay
Probably a good landing spot for him, should get plenty of minutes.
The OVC is watered down with the loss of Belmont and Murray State.

Something tells me this won't be his last stop.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago reminds me of years ago when they were in the NCAA and the crowd chanting

LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
LET's GO PEAY
I don't know that song. :lol:
You do now, ECR posted all the verses.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The best story about Austin Peay, the truth of it unclear - That when Fly Williams first attempted to visit, he mistakenly flew to Austin, Texas, and asked someone there, "Hey, where the Peay at?" It made it into "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto, a great read about the wild west kind of days of the ABA as it went against the NBA.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri ---> Austin Peay)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He's struggled a little as the competition gets better but he's still averaging 12 and 5 and shooting 82 % FT. He wanted to come to URI but in the end Archie said no.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Sean had 20 points and 9 rebounds last night.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago Sean had 20 points and 9 rebounds last night.
24 6 3 in another game while playing all 40 minutes.

Hindsight is 20/20, but seems like Archie might’ve made a mistake passing on him and wanting a few other guys on this team.
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Well, that sucks...He really wanted to play here.. This class hasn't been good enough, and seeing Durugordon and Chance look great sucks.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Hindsight is 20/20, but seems like Archie might’ve made a mistake passing on him and wanting a few other guys on this team.
That's 2 games points and rebounds but no efficiency numbers, so before more people jump on Archie making a mistake lets look at all 14 games so far:

Durugordon Shooting Stats to date:
  • Austin Peay is 6-8 and has lost 3 straight games
  • 62-160 FG for 38.8%
  • 17-61 3P for 27.9%
  • 34-41 FT for 82.8%
  • In 3 P5 Games (@ NC State, @ Purdue, @ Tennessee: 7-29 FG for 24%, 1-13 3P for 7.7%
  • Durugordon went 4-16 FG and1-8 3P in Wednesday Dec 21 drubbing @ #8 Tennessee by 42 points (86-44)
  • He is 3-14 3P for 21.4% in his last 4 games
Shooting better than Durugordon 3P's for URI:
Hutchinson 4-10 = 40%
Leggett 20-53 - 37.7%
Freeman 15-46 = 32.6%

Archie was looking for a wing who could shoot. These numbers don't tell me he made a mistake. I am sure Archie and his staff watched Durugordon closely in workouts and in film from Missouri and AAU/HS prior to Missouri.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Durugordon has been pretty productive for A.P. Their strength of schedule is actually pretty good - 97th overall - so I think he would have produced similarly here. He seems to be strictly a 3, but he would definitely will a need on this team - He can create his own shot. If URI could have gotten his commitment, then yeah, it's a "miss" that we didn't. He clearly would have been better than some of our deep bench guys. However, I'm not really going to get on Archie for that, given the compressed time frame he had to scout, offer and sign everyone.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Durugordon has been pretty productive for A.P. Their strength of schedule is actually pretty good - 97th overall - so I think he would have produced similarly here. He seems to be strictly a 3, but he would definitely will a need on this team - He can create his own shot. If URI could have gotten his commitment, then yeah, it's a "miss" that we didn't. He clearly would have been better than some of our deep bench guys. However, I'm not really going to get on Archie for that, given the compressed time frame he had to scout, offer and sign everyone.
I can’t see how anyone can say Archie made a mistake here. He performed poorly vs the 3 P5 teams.
These are statistics only. We know little of nothing about his defense or his attitude or work ethic or what Archie/Staff thought of his upside potential.

Word is Archie turned him down. I had not heard that myself but trust it’s correct as was reported on KB.

Have to trust Archie, no? Seems like 2nd guessing of his recruiting and who he starts in games and how he allocates minutes to players is gaining steam here - unfortunately. He has only just begun, it’s very early. He entered the recruiting/transfer party late due to hiring timing.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Durugordon has been pretty productive for A.P. Their strength of schedule is actually pretty good - 97th overall - so I think he would have produced similarly here. He seems to be strictly a 3, but he would definitely will a need on this team - He can create his own shot. If URI could have gotten his commitment, then yeah, it's a "miss" that we didn't. He clearly would have been better than some of our deep bench guys. However, I'm not really going to get on Archie for that, given the compressed time frame he had to scout, offer and sign everyone.
I can’t see how anyone can say Archie made a mistake here. He performed poorly vs the 3 P5 teams.
A sample size of three isn't great, for starters. And secondly, we might play like five in any given season. A player putting up a PER in the range of 18 to 20 is useful. Even if he's garbage against good teams - which isn't a given - there's still plenty of times when 20 points about Brown, Quinnipiac and Texas State in November, to just pick three random teams, is still valuable to a team.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

These are statistics only. We know little of nothing about his defense or his attitude or work ethic or what Archie/Staff thought of his upside potential.

Word is Archie turned him down. I had not heard that myself but trust it’s correct as was reported on KB.

Have to trust Archie, no? Seems like 2nd guessing of his recruiting and who he starts in games and how he allocates minutes to players is gaining steam here - unfortunately. He has only just begun, it’s very early. He entered the recruiting/transfer party late due to hiring timing.
We’re not in a P5 league. If you don’t want players who may struggle against those types of team then we wouldn't field a roster. A lot of our players struggled against P6* teams this season.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m kind of bummed we didn’t get Duru , I definitely think he would contribute for us
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
A sample size of three isn't great, for starters. And secondly, we might play like five in any given season. A player putting up a PER in the range of 18 to 20 is useful. Even if he's garbage against good teams - which isn't a given - there's still plenty of times when 20 points about Brown, Quinnipiac and Texas State in November, to just pick three random teams, is still valuable to a team.
Of course see it’s not great. But look back at the comments here. It started with one game, then two games and interpretations were being made that maybe Archie blew it. The last game played against Queens College of North Carolina!!!! And then another game hand picked!!!

Having followed the kid me self I knew his 3P shooting was only 28% full season so I posted the full year stats.

I also pulled out the 3 P5 games to show how he did against strong teams. He did poorly.

Big picture 28% shooter.

Big picture it’s Archie’s decision. Even if the kid was shooting 50% 3Ps and 26 ppg it still doesn’t tell about his defense, attitude, upside potential, ball handling, passing ability and how he might have gelled or not gelled with the team.

Going back and saying Archie may have blown it in this guy is just taking unnecessary shots at a newly hired coach.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We’re not in a P5 league. If you don’t want players who may struggle against those types of team then we wouldn't field a roster. A lot of our players struggled against P6* teams this season.

Here is what you said…….

You took the last game against Queens College of NC and then cherry pick one other game without naming the opponent and post the conclusion Archie may have made a mistake.

You could have left it at that, included the one Other game stats but to add “Archie may have made a mistake”?????? Crazy talk, not fair to the new Head Coach.

I looked up the opponent you cherry picked, it was Tennessee State played back on December 3rd, 6 games ago.

So from 2 games you make the observation “maybe Archie made a mistake.”

Too little data, not looking at all 14 games results but only two games.

I pulled the data for All 14 games and then pulled the 3 P5 opponents to see how he did. His stats against them were considerably less that the other 11 games from a pretty weak OOC schedule.

My conclusion is it’s Archie’s call. Not enough here to make me think he made a mistake and even if he did so what. Every HC is going to make mistakes. The fact that Durugordon went from Missouri to Austin Peay should tell you something too.

Trust Archie. I’m sure he looked at more than 2 games of stats.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

He has 16 points today .... in the first half
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago He has 16 points today .... in the first half
Finished with 27 pts/10 rebs, 11-19 FG, 4-6 3PT
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

No he couldn’t help us. Who needs 27 and 10?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago No he couldn’t help us. Who needs 27 and 10?
Tell it to Archie Miller. He turned the kid away. Nobody on this board did.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Durugordon did not play in this last game to be played in the Austin Peay arena as they will move to a new $105 million 5,500 seat arena in downtown Clarkesville next year.
This last game ended in a huge brawl that extended into the locker room corridor.
Austin Peay had a 1 point lead, stole the ball with seconds left and instead of holding the ball and dribbling out the final seconds they went on a fast break and the guy bounced the ball hard on the floor to then dunk it like an explanation point. North Florida would have none of that and tackled the guy and all hell broke loose.

Austin Peay's season will not include the Conference Tournament since the A-Sun only takes the Top 10 of the 14 team Conference. Austin Peay is in last place. Conference will be penalizing based on replays and assessment.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 920302007/
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

So with most of a season in the books - are we really pining for a 6'7 sophomore who played against significantly inferior competition (literally schools I've never even heard of), and averaged 12/6?

44% 2pt shooter and 31% from 3, and based on all his advanced metrics he's a significantly below average defender. And when I say significant - I mean SIGNIFICANT.

Remember that guy Brayon Freeman? Who everyone kills for not playing defense? His DBOX is -0.7. Below average, and we've seen what that effort looks like on the court.

Duru? -2.4! THAT'S OVER 3X AS BAD AS BRAYON - in a conference with players who will be going pro in something other than sports.

So yeah - exciting highlights? Couple of big number games (Iffy Onyekaba went for 21 and 10 against Maine).

Don't think this is the miss some people are trying to make it.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago So with most of a season in the books - are we really pining for a 6'7 sophomore who played against significantly inferior competition (literally schools I've never even heard of), and averaged 12/6?

44% 2pt shooter and 31% from 3, and based on all his advanced metrics he's a significantly below average defender. And when I say significant - I mean SIGNIFICANT.

Remember that guy Brayon Freeman? Who everyone kills for not playing defense? His DBOX is -0.7. Below average, and we've seen what that effort looks like on the court.

Duru? -2.4! THAT'S OVER 3X AS BAD AS BRAYON - in a conference with players who will be going pro in something other than sports.

So yeah - exciting highlights? Couple of big number games (Iffy Onyekaba went for 21 and 10 against Maine).

Don't think this is the miss some people are trying to make it.
Well, nobody had really posted about wanting him for about a month now, so I don't really think there's much pining going on. But yeah, I absolutely think he's a more promising option at the 3 or 4 than some other guys we have. He's scoring 12 points and pulling down 6 rebounds a game in a weaker conference (20th out of 33 by Sports Reference), but it's not like the A-10 is strong this year anyway. Like right now, people are trying to talk themselves into Rory Stewart having enough foot speed to cover guys at the 4. I don't think its a "Ryan Gomes at UConn" style miss, but he definitely would have helped on this roster and he has eligibility going forward. I can understand the thought process in why Miller went after other lottery tickets (a UNC recruit that actually earned minutes there; promising guys from Seton Hall, Alabama and Wichita State that were buried on the bench) instead of this one, though.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm not sure a guy with a DBOX of -2.4 would see the floor for Archie anyway, so this may be a moot discussion.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

And I love how someone said on this board that Durugordon was a miss LMAO
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago And I love how someone said on this board that Durugordon was a miss LMAO
Tell me, which first year player on this team would you take over him?

I’d say Bilau, and that’s probably it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago And I love how someone said on this board that Durugordon was a miss LMAO

You’re a Fucking idiot if you wanna guy who’s worse defensively than Bray any first year player on this team would be averaging the same numbers as him on the worst team in the A-Sun, your out right stupid to think that
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

You’re a Fucking idiot if you wanna guy who’s worse defensively than Bray any first year player on this team would be averaging the same numbers as him on the worst team in the A-Sun, your out right stupid to think that

Hahaha yea freshman Rory Stewart would be averaging 12 and 6.

Samb definitely would too. You’re right.
0 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

And what would durugordon do here have 5 pts / 3 Rebs, and play the same amount of defense like Bray such a great improvement 15 you Fucking idiot
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And what would durugordon do here have 5 pts / 3 Rebs, and play the same amount of defense like Bray such a great improvement 15 you Fucking idiot
Lol ok dude relax, don’t think multiple “you fucking idiot” is needed here.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago I'm not sure a guy with a DBOX of -2.4 would see the floor for Archie anyway, so this may be a moot discussion.
I think context matters here a bit - Austin Peay is 310th in the country in DRTG. Durugordon could still be bad on that end, but DBOX also relies on your teammates to an extent, IIRC. The AP coach is Nate James, who is 21-38 through his only two years coaching as well. I'd trust Miller to get more out of a player defensively, but again, I think Durugordon was more of a minor recruiting miss than something that changes the trajectory of the program.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Durugordon did not play in this last game to be played in the Austin Peay arena as they will move to a new $105 million 5,500 seat arena in downtown Clarkesville next year.
This last game ended in a huge brawl that extended into the locker room corridor.
Austin Peay had a 1 point lead, stole the ball with seconds left and instead of holding the ball and dribbling out the final seconds they went on a fast break and the guy bounced the ball hard on the floor to then dunk it like an explanation point. North Florida would have none of that and tackled the guy and all hell broke loose.

Austin Peay's season will not include the Conference Tournament since the A-Sun only takes the Top 10 of the 14 team Conference. Austin Peay is in last place. Conference will be penalizing based on replays and assessment.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 920302007/
Following the brawl Austin Peay suspended 3 players. 2 for 1 game and 1 player for 2 games.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2023/02 ... th-florida

Durugordon has not played at all in the last 2 games. The last game he played he only played 15 minutes 0-5 FG and 3 turnovers.
Can't find any info as to why he hasn't been playing the last 2 games. Assume injured but don't know.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Time to fire this thread back up I guess!

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Time to fire this thread back up I guess!

He'd have to sit, right?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Who knows anymore! There was a coaching change I believe, so maybe not?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we reached out again, which we have, I cannot see it being true that Archie passed on him last year, but now all of a sudden wants him.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago If we reached out again, which we have, I cannot see it being true that Archie passed on him last year, but now all of a sudden wants him.
Interesting...
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He'd have to sit, right?
Coach was fired, so maybe it affected his mental health, and maybe he can get a waiver? lol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

He'd have to sit, right?
Coach was fired, so maybe it affected his mental health, and maybe he can get a waiver? lol
I would have to assume that's how some will go about transferring after a coaching change if it's for a second time.

The NCAA is on a slippery slope using mental health as a way to transfer a second time without a waiver.

How are they going to deny a kid who claims mental health issues without getting crucified?
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He'd have to sit, right?
I would have to assume that's how some will go about transferring after a coaching change if it's for a second time.

The NCAA is on a slippery slope using mental health as a way to transfer a second time without a waiver.

How are they going to deny a kid who claims mental health issues without getting crucified?
Exactly. And what's the process to prove you have mental health issues? Do they need to have a doctor's note? I guess we'll see!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 NY SF - Sean Durugordon (Missouri ---> Austin Peay ---> ???)

Doesn't everyone have mental health issues of one degree or another?
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Doesn't everyone have mental health issues of one degree or another?
What a stupid thing to say.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Doesn't everyone have mental health issues of one degree or another?
Why? Are you worry free? Never feel down whatsoever? There are many different degrees of mental health issues. Some are minor. Some are major. It's a fact.The only reason I bring it up is I wonder how the NCAA is going to determine whether or not to give someone a waiver when looking at this.
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Why? Are you worry free? Never feel down whatsoever? There are many different degrees of mental health issues. Some are minor. Some are major. It's a fact.The only reason I bring it up is I wonder how the NCAA is going to determine whether or not to give someone a waiver when looking at this.
Ok, that's a perfectly fine thing to question, how they'll determine who gets a waiver or not.

But I think saying "doesn't everyone have mental health issues" is weird. People may be sad about a coach leaving but that's not the same as being depressed because of a relative passing away.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, that's a perfectly fine thing to question, how they'll determine who gets a waiver or not.

But I think saying "doesn't everyone have mental health issues" is weird. People may be sad about a coach leaving but that's not the same as being depressed because of a relative passing away.
No, as I said, there are many different degrees. Everyone has to deal with something that affects them very often in their lives. I just don't see how the NCAA can make a determination as to what degree an 18-22 year old is being affected by something.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

No, as I said, there are many different degrees. Everyone has to deal with something that affects them very often in their lives. I just don't see how the NCAA can make a determination as to what degree an 18-22 year old is being affected by something.
I don't know that either. I hope they don't hand them out like candy. Mental health issues are serious and only players who are actually going through something should be given waivers.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wonder if Rhody is backing off. Not listed on the latest 'interest' update.

0 x