'20 IN PG - Khristian Lander (Indiana ---> Western Kentucky)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: '20 IN PG - Khristian Lander (Indiana ---> ??? )

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago
Bri234u wrote: 2 years ago Did Lander ever actually visit Kingston?
Not that we know of but Koch reported in his article that we were recruiting him
I don’t believe there was even a list of schools interested / he visited.

Very very quiet recruitment.
Iggy said Archie and the gang likes to keep things quiet 🤫
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Not that we know of but Koch reported in his article that we were recruiting him

Iggy said Archie and the gang likes to keep things quiet 🤫
Maybe too quiet
0 x
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Bri234u wrote: 2 years ago Did Lander ever actually visit Kingston?

One poster idk if it was Ramfan22 or Iggy but said he was visiting Iona one weekend but that’s it
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m thinking he’s going home to Evansville.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A 5 star Top 25 recruit with those schools as options after two years in college.

Just another example of rankings meaning absolutely nothing for the most part.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thats why it's more applicable to go by the statistics of the most recent year of play. Forget what happened in High School. Some exceed high school rankings, some fall short and some meet expectations.

Go by what has the player done lately - that's the beauty of transfers. They are stronger, more experienced, older and you know what they have done against college competition.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago A 5 star Top 25 recruit with those schools as options after two years in college.

Just another example of rankings meaning absolutely nothing for the most part.
I mean, Missouri and Butler would be considered pretty good options for almost any prospect. He's barely played in two years, so he has a ton of variance going forward. It wouldn't surprise me if he was awesome at his next stop, OR, if he is awfully overrated, a la Elijah Wood. Contrast that with Antwan Walker, who I'm pretty sure would be a quality player on just about any team, but he's probably not an All-Conference level player at a mid-major or higher. Different teams are looking for different things, and I imagine Lander is mostly drawing interest from teams that need high upsidie players. (Which would definitely be us - URI needs upside way more than it needs depth, IMO.)
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Thats why it's more applicable to go by the statistics of the most recent year of play. Forget what happened in High School. Some exceed high school rankings, some fall short and some meet expectations.

Go by what has the player done lately - that's the beauty of transfers. They are stronger, more experienced, older and you know what they have done against college competition.
Surprised by you Ramster. Stan Robinson at Indiana, 3 ppg. KI at Memphis, 6 ppg.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Thats why it's more applicable to go by the statistics of the most recent year of play. Forget what happened in High School. Some exceed high school rankings, some fall short and some meet expectations.

Surprised by you Ramster. Stan Robinson at Indiana, 3 ppg. KI at Memphis, 6 ppg.
You got me Iggy. I loved those two recruits right from day 1. They were great!
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

They also had to sit a year, got to the learn the new system, mature as players by watching and improving their individual games (ie Stan needed to learn to shoot better).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

They also had to sit a year, got to the learn the new system, mature as players by watching and improving their individual games (ie Stan needed to learn to shoot better).
KI didn’t have to sit out a year. He transferred in during the second semester and was eligible for the start of the next season.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

KI didn’t have to sit out a year. He transferred in during the second semester and was eligible for the start of the next season.
True - but Stan did and I it helped him, he also accepted a lesser role to the guys he had played with for a year. kI did have to watch half a season too, that helps in my opinion.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The larger point is I'd rather get a 4/5 star from a P5 school who hasn't done much than a 14- point scorer from a lower conference. There's no guarantee with either but ....
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago The larger point is I'd rather get a 4/5 star from a P5 school who hasn't done much than a 14- point scorer from a lower conference. There's no guarantee with either but ....
I don't have a preference; it can work either way.
Last season Ryan Hawkins from Div. 2 transferred to a very good Creighton team, and he ended up leading them in scoring (14 pts) and rebounding (8 rebs).
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I’m thinking more and more about this, but If the Femi is #1 option for the 3 spot with Sean being the backup I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a commitment today from Lander I’d be happy to have more PGs than CGs that are forced to learn in college but we shall see
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Unfortunately I don’t think there is an archetype when it comes to a transfer succeeding at their next stop. If only it were that east. So many variances. I do agree with Iggy that I would rather roll the dice with a more highly regarded prospect from a P5 if I had the choice but there are so many examples of guys that transfer up and perform. PC had 3 of those types with Horchler, Bynum and Croswell. All raised their game to the level they went up to.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago I’m thinking more and more about this, but If the Femi is #1 option for the 3 spot with Sean being the backup I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a commitment today from Lander I’d be happy to have more PGs than CGs that are forced to learn in college but we shall see
FWIW - I don't think we really have a good idea at all about what Archie's true "ranking" or target list is right now. Obviously, most of the intel people were getting on URI's interest - or not - in Tre Mitchell wasn't necessarily correct, and the one transfer we've got was so quick, there was barely a thread on it.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately I don’t think there is an archetype when it comes to a transfer succeeding at their next stop. If only it were that east. So many variances. I do agree with Iggy that I would rather roll the dice with a more highly regarded prospect from a P5 if I had the choice but there are so many examples of guys that transfer up and perform. PC had 3 of those types with Horchler, Bynum and Croswell. All raised their game to the level they went up to.
Bynum and Croswell had success at the A10 level. That’s a lot different to me than having success at East Carolina (Sheppard) or Ball State (El-Amin).
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately I don’t think there is an archetype when it comes to a transfer succeeding at their next stop. If only it were that east. So many variances. I do agree with Iggy that I would rather roll the dice with a more highly regarded prospect from a P5 if I had the choice but there are so many examples of guys that transfer up and perform. PC had 3 of those types with Horchler, Bynum and Croswell. All raised their game to the level they went up to.
Bynum and Croswell had success at the A10 level. That’s a lot different to me than having success at East Carolina (Sheppard) or Ball State (El-Amin).
Sure but it's still a jump in quality to the BE. Maybe not as great as from the MAC to A-10 but not massively different either. ECU is an AAC team which is a pretty close comp to the A10 so IMO Shep pretty much made a lateral move.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

All three of those guys are among my favorites, but being honest:
-Horchler sat for a year and wasn’t consistently productive until approx Feb of year 2.
-Bynum sat for a year, didn’t have good numbers for a year, and started to take off Dec of year 3
-Croswell didn’t produce year 1, didn’t start to take off until Dec of year 2
Guys who put in the effort will hopefully develop, but those guys didn’t come in as immediate impact players.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
Dino611 wrote: 2 years ago I’m thinking more and more about this, but If the Femi is #1 option for the 3 spot with Sean being the backup I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a commitment today from Lander I’d be happy to have more PGs than CGs that are forced to learn in college but we shall see
FWIW - I don't think we really have a good idea at all about what Archie's true "ranking" or target list is right now. Obviously, most of the intel people were getting on URI's interest - or not - in Tre Mitchell wasn't necessarily correct, and the one transfer we've got was so quick, there was barely a thread on it.
The thread was created AFTER the announcement

Stealth recruiting.

And the Tre Mitchell fiasco likely reinforced the confidentiality concept
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
Sure but it's still a jump in quality to the BE. Maybe not as great as from the MAC to A-10 but not massively different either. ECU is an AAC team which is a pretty close comp to the A10 so IMO Shep pretty much made a lateral move.
I think it is fair to say, "You never know"- sure proven success against major competition should be a good indicator but lower competition is never a reason to eliminate anyone. eg Andre Berry
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

WESTERN KENTUCKY

boo
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago WESTERN KENTUCKY

boo
…thought this was a guarantee from you?
3 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

boo
You're losing your touch.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

So you finally came right out and said it girl
What took you so long?
It was in your eyes
That look's been there for too long
I'm waiting in line
Would you say if I was wasting my time
Did I miss again?
I think I missed again
Oh-oh-oh
I think about it from time to time
When I'm lonely and on my own
I try to forget and yet still rush to the telephone
I'm waiting in line
Would you say if I was wasting my time?
Oh did I miss again
I think I missed again
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

boo
…thought this was a guarantee from you?

The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you, in my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried
You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

say what you want but i nailed the only one that matters !

Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seek help, please.

There’s nothing more weird than the song lyrics.
3 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: '20 IN PG - Khristian Lander (Indiana ---> Western Kentucky)

Says the man who is triggered

Relax and smile 😊
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Went down 2 levels. Archie was not interested
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago say what you want but i nailed the only one that matters !

Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.
From the old Archie to the new Arch
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yeah pretty big drop for him I would say

The tea leaves weren’t that great anyways in his tweets the last few days

Moving on ..:

Moving on up you say ?

To the east side ?

To a Deluxe apartment in the sky

Come on R15

I see that foot of yours taping ..

Cas you have happy feet

Happy feet! I've got those hap-hap-happy feet!
Give them a low-down beat
And they begin dancing!
I've got those ten little tip-tap-tapping toes,
When they hear a tune
I can't control the dancing, dear,
To save my soul!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ECR, you must be a hit at karaoke bars.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago ECR, you must be a hit at karaoke bars.
He invented karaoke bars.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Went down 2 levels. Archie was not interested
Is this an opinion of fact?

Koch mentioned him in his article, so figured Archie reached out in some capacity.

Also, Western Kentucky is one of the better mid majors in America.

They’re a comparable program to us.

Much more NCAA tournament success over the years as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Initial contact doesn't guarantee interest in a marriage.

Lander and Mitchell were only conversations on this board because Elm City and Rhody Vault claimed genuine links.

Are they remotely credible? Should you consider that further in the future?

No and yes. Period.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago So you finally came right out and said it girl
What took you so long?
It was in your eyes
That look's been there for too long
I'm waiting in line
Would you say if I was wasting my time
Did I miss again?
I think I missed again
Oh-oh-oh
I think about it from time to time
When I'm lonely and on my own
I try to forget and yet still rush to the telephone
I'm waiting in line
Would you say if I was wasting my time?
Oh did I miss again
I think I missed again
Phil Collins!

Where’s my limoncello?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The portal givith and the portal takith away. We’ll find another to sign. It’s the way of the portal.

I remember, way back when, when colleges used to recruit high school and junior college players. :D

Those were the days, my friends
We thought they’d never end…

Damn, ECR! Now you’ve got me singing! :lol:
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Bill Koch wrote: 2 years ago Initial contact doesn't guarantee interest in a marriage.

Lander and Mitchell were only conversations on this board because Elm City and Rhody Vault claimed genuine links.

Are they remotely credible? Should you consider that further in the future?

No and yes. Period.

Someone isn’t paying attention to claim that I claimed a genuine link

Bill - I love you - you are great and that’s the bottom line

But I have no ties to anything genuine except my genuine limoncello

All I am is a diehard Rhody fan who has long ago graduated but live and love Rhody hoops and love coming on this board to read posts from Rhody fans who actually know something

I don’t take myself seriously and neither should anyone else - I like to have fun and bring a new twist to this board

As for RV - I don’t like the digs on him whatsoever - his great interviews far surpass his bad call on Tre - I mean the guy brings us Rhody greats like his most recent post on Delroy James - so ease up

Anyways - I enjoy your coverage and always will but I had to respond to the dig on me and also on RV (since I appreciate his work as well)

Be well and continue the great work !
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Only conversations on this board ?!!

RECEIPTS.. PERIOD

“ and Indiana transfer point guard Khristian Lander. URI is seeking multiple years of eligibility in the transfer market and focusing its four-year recruiting on the Class of 2023 after Miller put his staff in place earlier this month”.

bkoch@providencejournal.com
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago If I could turn the page
In time then I'd rearrange just a day or two
Close my, close my, close my eyes
But I couldn't find a way
So I'll settle for one day to believe in you
Tell me, tell me, tell me lies
Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies
Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
Oh no-no, you can't disguise
You can't disguise
No, you can't disguise
Christine McVie's song with the Mac.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
You can't disguise
No, you can't disguise
Fleetwood Mac!

Archie, please sign another recruit. I’m losing it! :lol:

Damn…78 nipped me at the wire. Bad day…first Lander, now this. Can’t win. Bad juju.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Tell me lies
Tell me, tell me lies
You can't disguise
No, you can't disguise
Fleetwood Mac!

Archie, please sign another recruit. I’m losing it! :lol:
I got it first!
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I am not surprised that he didn't choose URI after Braymon came here - WKU is a good landing spot for him. I wouldn't expect him to want to compete for minutes at the 1 with Braymon. I also wonder what the staff is seeing from Thomas in practice - I know Austin thinks very highly of him and I do think he fits the mold of a fast, smart and good passing PG in the system I think Archie will run here.
0 x