Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought I'd start a separate thread for this since it's a hot topic of discussion. My top choices right now would be Sly Williams, Silk Owens, Tyson Wheeler, Ernie Calverly, Tommy Garrick, Steve Chubin, Art Stephenson, Kenny Green, Cat Mobley, Pappy Owens and Stan Stutz. I didn't include anyone from this century yet like Jimmy B., EC or Jared. And I didn't include Lamar because he wasn't here long enough. I'd love to hear from fans like Neil on this who go back even farther than I do. Anyone else have any nominations?
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Whose # should be up in the rafters?

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Like was previously stated, there's not too many numbers that can be worn in college.

You can't retire them all.

Maybe a ring of honor of some sort can be put on the blue mats that are underneath the scoreboard. That area just looks wasted and bare.

I'm also assuming there will be much history displayed in the practice facility.

But yes, more needs to be done in The Ryan Center to honor the greats.
3 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Like was previously stated, there's not too many numbers that can be worn in college.

Maybe a ring of honor of some sort can be put on the blue mats that are underneath the scoreboard. That area just looks wasted and bare.

I'm also assuming there will be much history displayed in the practice facility.

I didn't say retire. They can still go up in the rafters without being retired.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago Like was previously stated, there's not too many numbers that can be worn in college.

I didn't say retire. They can still go up in the rafters without being retired.
I know, I'm just stating my opinion as some others here have suggested retiring them.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If there's a ring of honor and not jersey numbers, Frank Keaney would obviously need to be included.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I thought I'd start a separate thread for this since it's a hot topic of discussion. My top choices right now would be Sly Williams, Silk Owens, Tyson Wheeler, Ernie Calverly, Tommy Garrick, Steve Chubin, Art Stephenson, Kenny Green, Cat Mobley, Pappy Owens and Stan Stutz. I didn't include anyone from this century yet like Jimmy B., EC or Jared. And I didn't include Lamar because he wasn't here long enough. I'd love to hear from fans like Neil on this who go back even farther than I do. Anyone else have any nominations?
Didn't see any of them, so I'd trust any of the old-timers who've been around.

But for the names that aren't on that list -
EC Matthews, Jimmy Baron, Jared Terrell, Will Daniels, ARD, Delroy James, Jeff Dowtin, Hassan Martin. Also think you need to put Odom on that list - even though he was a 1 year guy.

Would be fun over the next few Archie seasons to have a "honor a team" night - like the 70's NCAA team, late 80's team, 98 team, 00's teams, 16-17 teams. You could announce those players into a ring of honor or banner at halftime on those nights.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Ring of Honor/Hall of Greats:

Caverley
Garrick
Silk Owens
Sly
Kenny Green
Wheeler
Mobley
ARD
Odom (but I get why it wont happen)
Jimmy
Will Daniels
Delroy
EC
Hass
Terrell

If we're hanging numbers (but not retiring them) then I reduce it to Caverley, Sly, Silk Owens, Wheeler, Mobley, Jimmy, EC, Hassan
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago Ring of Honor/Hall of Greats:

Caverley
Garrick
Silk Owens
Sly
Kenny Green
Wheeler
Mobley
ARD
Jimmy
Will Daniels
Delroy
EC
Hass
Terrell

If we're hanging numbers (but not retiring them) then I reduce it to Caverley, Sly, Wheeler, Mobley, Jimmy, EC, Hassan
Great list, but you have to add Silk to that last line, right?
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago Ring of Honor/Hall of Greats:

Caverley
Garrick
Silk Owens
Sly
Kenny Green
Wheeler
Mobley
ARD
Jimmy
Will Daniels
Delroy
EC
Hass
Terrell

If we're hanging numbers (but not retiring them) then I reduce it to Caverley, Sly, Wheeler, Mobley, Jimmy, EC, Hassan
Great list, but you have to add Silk to that last line, right?
Should've been there...fixed

Also, add Dawan Robinson to the hall of greats. He was phenomenal before he blew his knee out, a true "what could've been" guy
1 x
---
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I thought I'd start a separate thread for this since it's a hot topic of discussion. My top choices right now would be Sly Williams, Silk Owens, Tyson Wheeler, Ernie Calverly, Tommy Garrick, Steve Chubin, Art Stephenson, Kenny Green, Cat Mobley, Pappy Owens and Stan Stutz. I didn't include anyone from this century yet like Jimmy B., EC or Jared. And I didn't include Lamar because he wasn't here long enough. I'd love to hear from fans like Neil on this who go back even farther than I do. Anyone else have any nominations?
Didn't see any of them, so I'd trust any of the old-timers who've been around.

But for the names that aren't on that list -
EC Matthews, Jimmy Baron, Jared Terrell, Will Daniels, ARD, Delroy James, Jeff Dowtin, Hassan Martin. Also think you need to put Odom on that list - even though he was a 1 year guy.

Would be fun over the next few Archie seasons to have a "honor a team" night - like the 70's NCAA team, late 80's team, 98 team, 00's teams, 16-17 teams. You could announce those players into a ring of honor or banner at halftime on those nights.
Definitely need to honor those teams with a night like that
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just want to do the older players first while some of them are still alive. Guys like Jimmy B., Jared and EC will have their time.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I just want to do the older players first while some of them are still alive. Guys like Jimmy B., Jared and EC will have their time.
Very fair. Agreed that the quick turnaround almost cheapens it - like the Sox with Papi.

This winter will be 25 years since 98 though. Hopefully there’s a game that focuses on getting that entire team back for a ceremony.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I just want to do the older players first while some of them are still alive. Guys like Jimmy B., Jared and EC will have their time.
Can’t just do it based on age and say some “will have their time.”

Unfortunately, and sadly, we saw first hand what can happen with Ryan Preston.

If they deserve to be up there, put em up.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very fair. Agreed that the quick turnaround almost cheapens it - like the Sox with Papi.

This winter will be 25 years since 98 though. Hopefully there’s a game that focuses on getting that entire team back for a ceremony.
All our big seasons ended with 8 so the anniversaries are the same

Do the 78 team in 2023 and the 88 team in 2028 and 98 team in 2033 lol
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Or all 3 down the stretch this year…
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Or all 3 down the stretch this year…
Yeah I like that idea better
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Let’s do the first 2 next season on your list Blueman

Calverly is retired (3)

Add 46 to the big season list
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Steve Rowell should be on one of the lists. Great shooter on some bad teams. I don’t remember his number though.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Steve Rowell should be on one of the lists. Great shooter on some bad teams. I don’t remember his number though.

Rowell was an excellent shooter. Would like to see what he could do with today's 3P line. His wife was on the URI women's team.
https://library.artstor.org/#/public/SS ... 17_8435482
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You can’t have 28 jerseys in the rafters it cheapens it for all. Some of these folks should be memorialized in the practice facility and around Ryan. But some should get their jersey in the rafters. I’d start with Calverley, Sly and Silk. A seminal historic figure, 1 of if not the best player we ever had and our top all time scorer. There’s a pretty big difference in stature from those guys to guys like Will Daniels and what not. We should celebrate our history and all who were special part of it but there are levels to who and how they are celebrated.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

#10. It was my favorite number, wore it for all sports in high school, mostly because Walt Frazier then Fran Tarkenton. Then, as if that's not enough, Eli goes and wears it, too. Should probably just be retired everywhere for every thing...just for that.

As for Rhody players ..my background is too limited to weigh in...other than that, tho...10.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago You can’t have 28 jerseys in the rafters it cheapens it for all. Some of these folks should be memorialized in the practice facility and around Ryan. But some should get their jersey in the rafters. I’d start with Calverley, Sly and Silk. A seminal historic figure, 1 of if not the best player we ever had and our top all time scorer. There’s a pretty big difference in stature from those guys to guys like Will Daniels and what not. We should celebrate our history and all who were special part of it but there are levels to who and how they are celebrated.
Agreed and that’s fair.

I’ll also know there’s like inverse recency bias where “historical” figures are held in higher esteem. EC is 3rd all time scoring and he may not have had a deep NCAA run, he was the first to buy into Hurley and commit to building something great here.

But def no numbers. Ring of honor or something at the practice facility would suffice.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Process- great list and include Pappy. Getting old, have seen all of them except stuts and Ernie.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago You can’t have 28 jerseys in the rafters it cheapens it for all. Some of these folks should be memorialized in the practice facility and around Ryan. But some should get their jersey in the rafters. I’d start with Calverley, Sly and Silk. A seminal historic figure, 1 of if not the best player we ever had and our top all time scorer. There’s a pretty big difference in stature from those guys to guys like Will Daniels and what not. We should celebrate our history and all who were special part of it but there are levels to who and how they are celebrated.
My top 3 exactly. And something for Frank Keaney.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Like I always said you don’t retire the number but a banner with the name, years played, should be a start.

You could always do 5 for the next 2 seasons to get caught up. You put those on game nights against non conference teams like brown, central conn. State. Those crappy non conference games but people will want to show up and be part of history. Could even do one or 2 when they have a Friday night ESPN game or other national TV game
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Whoever is first, I want to see Carothers come down and replaced.
5 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Silk
Tommy
Sly
Kenny
Jimmy
Wheeler
Cat

I have to think more carefully than i have time for right now about any others.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

some notables stan stutz''chuckin' charlie lee' dennis mc govern. john fultz
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

I’ve read more of your lists now…
Similar to mine but including more players,
All of them deserving!!!

I say yes to Lamar.
Does he have his degree?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Don Kaull……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago Don Kaull……
Yes!!!
And JIM NORMAN!!!
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

As someone mentioned earlier, I think naming the court after coach Keaney is an excellent idea. Does he have any living relatives around? It would be nice to have them in for a dedication.

Many good ideas being thrown out. As for myself, would rather see a ring of honor or something similar in the Ryan Ctr than retiring numbers.

I’m a small hall proponent (reserved for the best of the best) but there are many players that who aren’t the best of the best but are a big part of the programs rich history and deserve some other form of recognition in the Ryan Ctr. or in the new practice facility.

I hope we do it fast. Life is too short and, like 15 mentioned earlier, sometimes the unexpected happens.
2 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

I know it was before most of you were fans but don't forget the Ernie Calverley 1961 and 1966 Rams. They were our first selections to the NCAA Tournament. The 1961 team beat PC with Jim Hadnot, Johnny Egan, Vin Ernst and Ray Flynn. They were a gutsy, high spirited team that filled Keaney.
1 x
ramfansince58
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ramfansince58 »

Also the 1966 team beat PC with Jimmy Walker at PC.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI SCORING CAREER
Rank Player (years) Points
1. Carlton Owens (1984-88) 2,114
2. Tyson Wheeler (1994-98) 1,918
3. E.C. Matthews (2013-18) 1,899
4. Ernie Calverley (1943-46) 1,868
5. Sly Williams (1976-79) 1,777
6. Jimmy Baron (2005-09) 1,765
7. Jared Terrell (2014-18) 1,754
8. Steve Chubin (1962-64, 65-66) 1,751
9. Horace “Pappy” Owens (1979-83) 1,750
10. Stan Stutz (1938-40, 41-42) 1,730
11. Kenny Green (1985-90) 1,724
12. Will Daniels (2004-2008) 1,678
13. Antonio Reynolds-Dean (1995-99) 1,576
14. Tom Garrick (1984-88) 1,573
15. John Fultz (1967-70) 1,566
16. Jiggy Williamson (1974-78) 1,531
17. Andre Samuel (1990-94) 1,490
18. Delroy James (2007-11) 1,460
19. Art Stephenson (1965-68) 1,458
20. Eric Leslie (1988-91) 1,453
21. Steve Rowell (1970-73) 1,447
22. Jeff Dowtin 2016-19 1,410
23. Bill Von Weyhe (1954-57) 1,399
24. Ron Marozzi (1954-57) 1,377
25. Stan Wright (1974-78) 1,346
26. Cuttino Mobley (1994-98) 1,334
27. Jimmy Wright (1977-81) 1,333
28. Bill Baird (1950-53) 1,307
29. Hassan Martin (2013-present) 1,300
30. John Evans (1985-89) 1,297

URI ASSISTS CAREER
NO NAME YEARS
1. 712 Tyson Wheeler 1994-97
2. 502 Carlton Owens 1984-88
3. 473 Jeff Dowtin 2016-19
4. 459 Marquis Jones 2007-11
5. 420 Carlos Easterling 1990-93
6. 407 Tom Garrick 1985-88
7. 398 Jarvis Garrett 2014-18
8. 346 Jiggy Williamson 1975-78
9. 333 Stan Wright 1975-78
10. 331 Parfait Bitee 2007-08

URI REBOUNDS CAREER
NO NAME YEARS
1. 1,048 Art Stephenson 1965-68
2. 1,039 Gary Koenig 1959-62
3. 1,028 Antonio Reynolds-Dean 1995-99
4. 996 Kenny Green 1985-90
5. 869 Kahiem Seawright 2005-09
6. 786 Hassan Martin 2013-17
7. 773 Jimmy Wright 1977-81
8. 744 John Fultz 1967-70
9. 732 Jeff Kent 1988-92
10. 728 Andre Samuel 1990-94

URI BLOCKED SHOTS CAREER
NO NAME YEARS
1. 328 Kenny Green 1985-90
2. 321 Hassan Martin 2013-17
3. 235 Antonio Reynolds-Dean 1995-99
4. 166 Cyril Langevine 2016-2019
5. 149 Michael Andersen 1993-97
6. 144 Bonzie Colson 1985-89
7. 113 Luther Clay 1997-99
8. 110 Kahiem Seawright 2005-09
9. 107 Lamonte Ulmer 2006-10
10. 104 Delroy James 2007-11

URI STEALS CAREER
NO NAME YEARS
1. 207 Keith Cothran 2006-10
2. 205 Tyson Wheeler 1994-98
3. 189 Tom Garrick 1985-88
4. 175 Andre Samuel 1990-94
5. 170 Jared Terrell 2014-18
6. 168 Carlton Owens 1984-88
7. 165 Marquis Jones 2007-11
8. 151 Dawan Robinson 2002-06
9. 146 Delroy James 2007-11
10. 143 Antonio Reynolds-Dean 1995-99
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfansince58 wrote: 2 years ago I know it was before most of you were fans but don't forget the Ernie Calverley 1961 and 1966 Rams. They were our first selections to the NCAA Tournament. The 1961 team beat PC with Jim Hadnot, Johnny Egan, Vin Ernst and Ray Flynn. They were a gutsy, high spirited team that filled Keaney.
I remember the '66 team. That's around when I was becoming a fan. I have mentioned Steve Chubin and Art Stephenson. Henry Carey was another very good player on the team, as was Don Kaull. '61 is before my time though.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago URI SCORING CAREER
4. Ernie Calverley (1943-46) 1,868
10. Stan Stutz (1938-40, 41-42) 1,730
15. John Fultz (1967-70) 1,566
19. Art Stephenson (1965-68) 1,458
21. Steve Rowell (1970-73) 1,447
22. Bill Von Weyhe (1954-57) 1,399
23. Ron Marozzi (1954-57) 1,377
24. Stan Wright (1974-78) 1,346
25. Cuttino Mobley (1994-98) 1,334

URI REBOUNDS CAREER
NO NAME YEARS
1. 1,048 Art Stephenson 1965-68
2. 1,039 Gary Koenig 1959-62
3. 1,028 Antonio Reynolds-Dean 1995-99
4. 996 Kenny Green 1985-90
5. 869 Kahiem Seawright 2005-09
6. 786 Hassan Martin 2013-17
7. 773 Jimmy Wright 1977-81
8. 744 John Fultz 1967-70
9. 732 Jeff Kent 1988-92
10. 728 Andre Samuel 1990-94
There ya go, Art Stephenson, a 6'5" center.....a beast! Saw him as a kid in an all-star game in Fall River, Mass. My favorite Ram until Jiggy came along.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tyson Wheeler should be a no brainer at #2 in scoring, #1 in assists, and #2 in steals.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You appreciate a player like Antionio Reynolds-Dean even more when you look at his career URI stats - #13 in scoring, #3 in rebounds, #3 in blocks, and #10 in steals. Could do it all.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago You appreciate a player like Antionio Reynolds-Dean even more when you look at his career URI stats - #13 in scoring, #3 in rebounds, and #3 in blocks. Could do it all.
Yup, he and Ulmer did it all. ARD was a better version of Ulmer

They are still the only 2 players in team history with 1000+ points, 700+ rebounds, 100+ assists, 100+ steals, 100+ blocks. ARD is our only 1000 point 1000 rebound guy, though Langevine was only 36 boards short of joining him

Im sure there's guys in the 70s and 80s I didnt see that can compete, but for my money Ulmer is the best and most electric dunker we've ever had. Those alley-oops were beautiful
1 x
---
---
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

How about Andre Samuel? IMHO...One of the most unsung players in program history.

Points, Rebounds, Steals? You name it. He did it all. I think he was listed at 6'5" but he was closer to 6'4". Started from day 1 and was a huge contributor on some great Rhody teams that competed in a tough A10.

Not saying they should retire his jersey but just wanted to call him and his squad out. That early to mid-90s team is often overlooked in Rhody lore but they had Keaney rocking on a nightly basis!!
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

This is great stuff. Would love to see a bunch of the guys honored. As far as retired numbers, I think we are talking about too many. Just don't ask me to cut the list. I love all of the guys mentioned.

Also, am I losing my mind or eyesight, or is Fatts not on the steals list? Maybe it's hasn't been updated.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Frank_Keaney_95 wrote: 2 years ago How about Andre Samuel? IMHO...One of the most unsung players in program history.

Points, Rebounds, Steals? You name it. He did it all. I think he was listed at 6'5" but he was closer to 6'4". Started from day 1 and was a huge contributor on some great Rhody teams that competed in a tough A10.

Not saying they should retire his jersey but just wanted to call him and his squad out. That early to mid-90s team is often overlooked in Rhody lore but they had Keaney rocking on a nightly basis!!
Samuel was such an over achiever in that era. Very similar to ARD in terms of being undersized and their skill sets. So many of my favorite Rams from that early/mid 90's era...Abdul Fox an all time fave, Kyle Ivey Jones, Jason Alexander (Gilliam), Cofield, Kent. That BC NIT game is still an all time classic.

Samuel and others like him are the exactly the tier of guys you honor in practice facility or around the Ryan but reserve the jersey in the rafters for the 5-6 all time greats. For now 5-6 would be where I cut it...tough decisions to make.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

The rafters should be for legends only. Cavelrey, Frank Keaney, Sly, Silk, Tommy, Kenny, Tyson, Cat, Steve Chubin
maybe Jeff D., Jimmy B., THe forgotten one Pappy Owens.

All others though very good and can be honored in the practice facility.

Just my opinion
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

What is more impressive to me are the players who are on this list from the "freshman team" and "pre-three-point line" eras. If memory serves, they didn't play as many games as the current teams play.

URI SCORING CAREER
4. Ernie Calverley (1943-46) 1,868***
10. Stan Stutz (1938-40, 41-42) 1,730***
15. John Fultz (1967-70) 1,566***
19. Art Stephenson (1965-68) 1,458***
21. Steve Rowell (1970-73) 1,447***
23. Bill Von Weyhe (1954-57) 1,399***
24. Ron Marozzi (1954-57) 1,377***
28. Bill Baird (1950-53) 1,307***
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago What is more impressive to me are the players who are on this list from the "freshman team" and "pre-three-point line" eras. If memory serves, they didn't play as many games as the current teams play.

URI SCORING CAREER
Good point. They were varsity for just three seasons. Another factor is that the number of games in a season back in the old days was many less than the norms for today. There were also no three point baskets opportunities for many of these players. The guys that you have noted with asterisks had much higher per game averages given far fewer career games played.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NHRamFan wrote: 2 years ago What is more impressive to me are the players who are on this list from the "freshman team" and "pre-three-point line" eras. If memory serves, they didn't play as many games as the current teams play.

URI SCORING CAREER
Sly also did it in only 3 years and with no 3 point line. 1,777 points and 21.2 career PPG.

The NCAA adopted the 3pt line in 1986
0 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago

URI SCORING CAREER
Sly also did it in only 3 years and with no 3 point line. 1,777 points and 21.2 career PPG.

Looking at the number of points and season and career averages, Sly and Ernie were the 2 most prolific scorers in URI history, taking nothing away from Silk, who is the best guard I've ever seen here.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago

URI SCORING CAREER

Sly also averaged 8.4 rebounds per game over his career, and 8.8 rpg in the 1978 NCAA Tournament year
Against Duke in the 63-62 heartbreaking loss to Duke Sly was the game high scorer with 27 points and 9 rebounds. 12-18 FG but he only played 32 minutes because he got in foul trouble and fouled out. Jiggy Williamson and Stan Wright played the full 40 minutes. Had Sly not fouled out we likely win that game. Irv Chatman had a game high 12 rebounds as our rim protector.

Looked up the NBA Status of Duke Players who played in that game:
5 of Duke's players were NBA Draft Picks in future years:
Jim Spanarkal - NBA 1st round #16 pick - 5 years in NBA
Gene Banks - NBA 2nd round #28 pick - 6 years in NBA
Mike Gminski - NBA 1st round #7 pick - 14 years in NBA
Kenny Dennard - NBA 4th round #78 pick - 3 years in NBA
Bob Bender - NBA 6th round 119 overall -
1 x