Silk Owens next podcast guest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Silk Owens next podcast guest

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago How many coaches should we have? 15? 20? URI should do more to acknowledge its history and incorporate as many former stars and legends into its current culture as it can. But the basketball team cannot be a make-work program for former players. If the fit works then that’s great and I have no issue with that. But if there are more qualified guys or guys who the head coach prefers, I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong for not hiring someone else just because they played here.
This is my thinking as well.

I think it's more important for the athletic department to honor those old players and tie the past in. Coaches are here to win during their tenure. If they win, they will connect to the fans. I trust the coach to have autonomy over his current coaches. Athletics will need to lead the charge to making the past players.

All the fans here are looking for is a connection to winning, but I think we'd all take winning over a "connection" to past winning. If we become winners, then all these "outsiders" as some fans see it - will become the parts of our history we want to connect to.

Thanks to the push from Rhody Vault - it finally seems like things are moving in the right direction in this space.

But Archie is the most experienced, most big-time hire we've ever made. Moreso than Harrick because he was coming under potential implications from the NCAA and violations.

Archie was a major hire, with major experience. When we hired Dan, he had 2 years head coaching experience. We knew he was a hot name and a great hire - but he was learning on the job. Archie is coming to us with 10 years of experience at this level and higher. 10 years of winning. 6 years at this level where he went to the tournament repeatedly, made some deep runs, and dominated the conference.

His approach is unimpeachable. Whatever he wants to do is something that should be unanimously supported. This isn't a "show us you can win" guy - we are in the "show him we can support" place with Arch. Say "thank you" for him coming, pack the stands, and trust his system. This will be good.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago How many coaches should we have? 15? 20? URI should do more to acknowledge its history and incorporate as many former stars and legends into its current culture as it can. But the basketball team cannot be a make-work program for former players. If the fit works then that’s great and I have no issue with that. But if there are more qualified guys or guys who the head coach prefers, I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong for not hiring someone else just because they played here.

I think it's more important for the athletic department to honor those old players and tie the past in. Coaches are here to win during their tenure. If they win, they will connect to the fans. I trust the coach to have autonomy over his current coaches. Athletics will need to lead the charge to making the past players.

All the fans here are looking for is a connection to winning, but I think we'd all take winning over a "connection" to past winning. If we become winners, then all these "outsiders" as some fans see it - will become the parts of our history we want to connect to.

Thanks to the push from Rhody Vault - it finally seems like things are moving in the right direction in this space.

But Archie is the most experienced, most big-time hire we've ever made. Moreso than Harrick because he was coming under potential implications from the NCAA and violations.

Archie was a major hire, with major experience. When we hired Dan, he had 2 years head coaching experience. We knew he was a hot name and a great hire - but he was learning on the job. Archie is coming to us with 10 years of experience at this level and higher. 10 years of winning. 6 years at this level where he went to the tournament repeatedly, made some deep runs, and dominated the conference.

His approach is unimpeachable. Whatever he wants to do is something that should be unanimously supported. This isn't a "show us you can win" guy - we are in the "show him we can support" place with Arch. Say "thank you" for him coming, pack the stands, and trust his system. This will be good.
I'd argue that Jack Kraft was the most experienced big time hire we've had. 12 years with Villanova right before coming here. In his 12 years, 6 NCAA appearances and 5 NITs. Just 2 years before coming here, he had NOVA in the NCAA championship game and losing to UCLA (as everybody did during that Wooden run). This is nothing against Archie. I think it's a great hire and am beyond excited for the future.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No way, shape or form was I recommending 15-20 assistant coaches or a make work program for past coaches.

Only suggested that Silk Owens is interested in coaching at URI because he himself said he would love to work with the team. Could be a win - win.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago

I'd argue that Jack Kraft was the most experienced big time hire we've had. 12 years with Villanova right before coming here. In his 12 years, 6 NCAA appearances and 5 NITs. Just 2 years before coming here, he had NOVA in the NCAA championship game and losing to UCLA (as everybody did during that Wooden run). This is nothing against Archie. I think it's a great hire and am beyond excited for the future.
Agree. Kraft took Villanova to the NCAA Championship losing to UCLA and John Wooden. Kraft came to URI and immediately went to work to turn the program around leading to,imho, URI’s most talented NCAA team in 1978. Amazing job from what he started with.

Jim Harrick won the NCAA Championship with UCLA. It was the 1st UCLA Championship since John Wooden. Harrick did a tremendous job at URI to quickly recruit high caliber players and had things rolling when he left for Georgia. The Ryan Center doesn’t exist as it is today without the Jim Harrick hire. His 1998 NCAA run was great.

Tom Penders put together a great team and had a nice NCAA run in 1988. Kenny Green, Tommy Garrick, Silk Owens and team were a well oiled machine.

Then Hurley demonstrated mountains could be moved after the Baron decade + of underachievement given the beautiful Ryan Center Baron had to leverage. Hurley showed that too National recruits would come to URI, reach the NCAA Tournament and win in the Tournament.

We know what success looks like.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Best bounce pass in the history of Ram basketball, an away game at gw. (3/4 court). It was at that game that Kenny set a ram record for highest field goal percentage- 10for 11.- best of luck, Arch
IIRC, that was on MLK Day on ESPN, yes? The future Mrs. Red and I were living in a third-floor walkup and when I saw that pass I must have broken the downstairs ceiling jumping out of my chair.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

He has only 1 position open. Plenty of posters have voiced their thoughts. It’s a message board.

It’s up to Miller.
And you think someone with no collegiate experience, and who played in the 80s, would be a good hire to development players in the current game?

Not only has he never coached before at the college level, he also played in the 80s, which was a completely different game than it is now.

A current coach and/or someone who has been around todays game would be much more beneficial.
Are you referring to Silk Owens?
I believe Silk does have some experience wasn’t he an assistant under Penders at Texas and Skinner at Kennesaw ??
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Yes and don’t forget Nebraska and St. Peter’s. He wants this job and I don’t think money is an issue. He wants to come back to his Alma mater. I am not being self serving but watch what he says on the podcast and you will get it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For anyone too young to remember Silk's days at URI, watch this video. There are some great clips of him. He was something else. Best guard to ever wear Keaney Blue, and that's saying something because we've had some great ones.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I would go a step further and say the best floor leader and headiest player. I have watched four games in their entirety and he valued every possession. If Garrick wasn’t called for two touch fouls against Duke they would have been playing Temple in the final 8.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago For anyone too young to remember Silk's days at URI, watch this video. There are some great clips of him. He was something else. Best guard to ever wear Keaney Blue, and that's saying something because we've had some great ones.
That steal vs Mizzou and then drive down court to finish is easily an all time play just a thing of absolute beauty
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

What about that 3/4 court pass versus George Washington. Still looking for that YouTube video.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago What about that 3/4 court pass versus George Washington. Still looking for that YouTube video.
Yeah that was amazing too and who could forget the ally oop from Garrick to Green and the how do you do from Musberger
0 x