Silk Owens next podcast guest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Silk Owens next podcast guest

Unread post by sbrand »

Proud to reconnect with Silk Owens on the phone. His pr machine brought me a cool 60 YouTube subscribers in a few hours.

He will be my next podcast guest.

I wanted to share his new Twitter handle and show him some love in return.

Please follow @silk_owens on Twitter
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Silk Owens next podcast guest

Unread post by RF1 »

Silk, Tommy, and Kenny - what a fun team to follow
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome can’t wait to watch that
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• You are URI's #1 Career Scorer with 2,114 points. The only player with over 2,000 points. You did that playing guard with another guard Tom Garrick who ended up as the 15th all time leading career scorer with 1,573 career points. Amazing! How did the two of you compliment one another? Do you think you both added to the success of the other?
  • Tom Garrick tied for the most points in a game with 50 points in the A10 Tournament vs Rutgers. What was it like to see Tommy play that game?
  • You are URI's Career leader in 3P% with 46.2% while Garrick is 2nd all time with 44.4%. What was your secret? How much of a role did Coaching play? Talent? Practice? Passing? Fact that you were both great shooters so the opposing team couldn't double team either of you? How much did the 1984 to 1988 team practice 3P Shooting? Did you practice in the gym a lot in addition to the team practices?
  • What was your impression of Kenny Green?
  • What were your fondest memories of URI?
B5FA5DE1-A037-45C0-98A1-461B28354C80.png
D8523C93-E569-4535-B7DA-2C0B5D1812E5.png
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

He wants an assistant coaching job and he has great New York connections. He also would be a great mentor for guys like Bassy. He has walked the walk
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,

Silk coached with Al Skinner (UMASS Grad) at Kennesaw State in Atlanta for several years when Al was the Head Coach. I think Al is in Charleston SC now. Al is obviously a good connection for Silk, and also Horace Neysmith who played guard at UMASS for 4 years graduating in 1985. Horace's son Tony played at Auburn for Tony Barbee (also a UMASS Grad) and Horace's son Cameron was on the Al Skinner Kennesaw State team. Horace is well connected with AAU, High School and College level Teams. Silk would be a great assistant coach very capable of helping players improve their 3FG, FT and ball handling.

https://ksuowls.com/sports/mens-basketb ... owens/1403
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Your intel is impeccable
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What was it like playing for Coach Malone and then switching to Coach Penders ??
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

reef wrote: 2 years ago What was it like playing for Coach Malone and then switching to Coach Penders ??
Answer: "Bad...then good."

Signed,
Silk
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

For some background, here's an old Sports Illustrated article:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1987/11/18/h ... ake-a-shot

There's even a scan with the picture available here:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1987/11/18/7 ... 93---image

- How'd you get the nickname Silk? (I'm positive you know this already, but still, always good to have a "basic" Q like this on record, ha.)

- Despite shooting 45 percent from 3-point range and scoring 21.8 PPG your senior year, you went undrafted. Did you attend scouting combines after you graduated, or were you completely off the NBA radar?

- You played in the CBA for at least two years, and it had a reputation as a wild league, for a variety of reasons. Do you have any memorable stories from your time there?

- Modern basketball seems tailor-made for your game, with the emphasis on efficient shooting. Do you feel like you were ahead of the curve, in a way?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago For some background, here's an old Sports Illustrated article:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1987/11/18/h ... ake-a-shot

There's even a scan with the picture available here:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1987/11/18/7 ... 93---image

- How'd you get the nickname Silk? (I'm positive you know this already, but still, always good to have a "basic" Q like this on record, ha.)

- Despite shooting 45 percent from 3-point range and scoring 21.8 PPG your senior year, you went undrafted. Did you attend scouting combines after you graduated, or were you completely off the NBA radar?

- You played in the CBA for at least two years, and it had a reputation as a wild league, for a variety of reasons. Do you have any memorable stories from your time there?

- Modern basketball seems tailor-made for your game, with the emphasis on efficient shooting. Do you feel like you were ahead of the curve, in a way?
Remember hearing that during the 2nd round win vs. Syracuse, one of the Orangemen said to Silk during a free throw "when are you going to get your teeth fixed?" - Silk's response, "right after we win this game". Don't know if that's more urban legend than truth, but that was the scuttlebutt at the time.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Boy, we sure have had some great players come through the program over the years! I really hope Archie shows the current and future players what Rhody is truly capable of. Let’s go!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Silks steal in the Missouri game and then his subsequent drive down the court was an absolute thing of beauty
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Does Silk remember that after he watched me play he told me that I had no game?
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Silk Owens. Love this guy. Greatest guard to ever wear Keaney Blue. Let's get this done!

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our top 3 all time scorers were lefties !!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Our top 3 all time scorers were lefties !!
Right. And Sly was 5th. He would have been first if he hadn't left after his junior year as a 1st round NBA draft pick of the Knicks.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Right. And Sly was 5th. He would have been first if he hadn't left after his junior year as a 1st round NBA draft pick of the Knicks.
I was about to say the same thing Billboy. 4 of our top 5 career scorers were left handed.

Should also note along with Sly only playing 3 years, #4 Ernie Calverly only played 3 years as well because Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
I was about to say the same thing Billboy. 4 of our top 5 career scorers were left handed.

Should also note along with Sly only playing 3 years, #4 Ernie Calverly only played 3 years as well because Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity.
As were all of the 60s greats like Chubin, Stephenson, Rowell and Fultz. Or the Keaney guys like Stan Stutz, who I believe led the country in scoring three times..
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As were all of the 60s greats like Chubin, Stephenson, Rowell and Fultz. Or the Keaney guys like Stan Stutz, who I believe led the country in scoring three times..
Yep.
And to add more confusion, Gilyard got the NCAA Career Steal Record for Richmond this year while playing a Covid 5th year. He broke John Lenihan's Career Record - doesn't bother me much since he was from PC but PC fans are understandably not happy about it. Players today also play more games per season as well.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yep.
And to add more confusion, Gilyard got the NCAA Career Steal Record for Richmond this year while playing a Covid 5th year. He broke John Lenihan's Career Record - doesn't bother me much since he was from PC but PC fans are understandably not happy about it. Players today also play more games per season as well.
That's when you can look at averages. Calverly has the highest average in scoring in one year for URI at 26.7. Sly is 2nd at 23.9
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was the one who brought the sign to the game that said Silk +23=2000 when he was 23 away in 88 my memory not good enough if he got it that night or not
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Some fantastic posts in here. Man, we have a great program history!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Best bounce pass in the history of Ram basketball, an away game at gw. (3/4 court). It was at that game that Kenny set a ram record for highest field goal percentage- 10for 11.- best of luck, Arch
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

neil wrote: 2 years ago Best bounce pass in the history of Ram basketball, an away game at gw. (3/4 court). It was at that game that Kenny set a ram record for highest field goal percentage- 10for 11.- best of luck, Arch
I recall that pass just sick
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Silk Owens. Love this guy. Greatest guard to ever wear Keaney Blue. Let's get this done!

That’s some powerful stuff there by Silk , hard not to shed a tear watching that
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

So the podcast is tomorrow. Does anyone have any pics or videos of Silk besides the Syracuse game. Thanks everyone.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago So the podcast is tomorrow. Does anyone have any pics or videos of Silk besides the Syracuse game. Thanks everyone.
Should be videos of the 88 team on Rhodyvault.com
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thx. I did. He’s very good. Can’t seem to find his name.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago So the podcast is tomorrow. Does anyone have any pics or videos of Silk besides the Syracuse game. Thanks everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... tball+1988
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Scott, some Silk games are available in our own Rhody Video Vault.

3/17/1988 Missouri Round of 64

3/9/1988 Temple A10 Championship

1/31/1988 Temple #5 in the nation

12/19/1987 Providence
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some good ones there , that Temple URI game was in SuperBowl Sunday real tough to get a ticket @ Keaney
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thx so much. All great games
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just watched the replay from the 88 season v Pc we killed them
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. One more request. Does anyone have footage of Ramon Rivas knocking out Silk's front tooth and the ensuing brawl.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Being in Europe then the only way I kept up with the team was through the news. I know they were ranked but not sure how high. Then I got to see them in the NCAAT for all 3 games. Magnificent!!!!
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey Guys it's out:

URI Just Getting Started interviewed inarguably the greatest Rhody Basketball player in history - statistically speaking. Number 1 in all-time scoring and number two in all-time assists.

The podcast includes video highlights of Silk in action at URI.

He reveals how he got the name Silk.

How he followed new URI coach Brendan Malone to Rhode Island without even seeing the school.

Silk played for one of the greatest high schools in the nation - Brooklyn's Abraham Lincoln high school, where he was considered one of the best sophomores in the nation.

He emotionally talks about the day he got shot and missed his junior year. Not only was his career in doubt but the use of his arm too.

In Silk's senior year, Abraham Lincoln lost by one at the buzzer for the city championship.

Silk remembers his first impression when he met Kenny Green .

His fondest memory.

Silk is still angry about the phantom fouls that they called on his backcourt mate Tom Garrick that took them out of the game. And you will hear his anger and frustration that prevented them from reaching the Final 8.

He reflects on Coach Pender’s ability to instill confidence and play free and fearless without any hesitation on taking shots that they believed they could make. And how Tommy "Chief" Garrick really started to shine in Pender's fast tempo offense.

Silk even discusses the different coaching styles between Brendan Malone and Tom Pender and answers the tough question if Malone could take URI to the Sweet 16 if he stayed.

Silk talks about how great it was to play with Garrick in the backcourt and how well they both gelled together.

In the popular part of the podcast "Urban Myths or Legends, Silk answers or comments on some wild and wacky topics including:

Why Penders always had a tan even in the winter.

Relives the Temple brawl where he got his tooth knocked out.

Mentions Ish Leggett and other players he likes on the Ram's team. And evaluates last season's team to this seasons under the helm of Archie Miller.

Finally in Breaking News, he declares that he wants to be an assistant coach for the Rams.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks Scott , this will definitely be a must listen for all of Rhody nation
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Reef. Silk is so funny. I asked one of Keaney Blues questions about what his impression of Kenny Green and his answer is hilarious.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Thanks Steve, enjoyed it very much
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott,
Great podcast. I think what comes across nicely is that you were the Team manager at the time so you knew these guys personally way back then. So impressive the respect you have for one another.

Interesting that Silk was headed to Syracuse but when Brendon Malone got the job at URI he talked Silk into being his PG so Silk followed Malone to URI.

The bullet in his arm is an incredible story. I didn’t realize he lost all use of his left arm after the shooting. Great story how Silk went to the gym and playground court to dribble and shoot with his right hand only. He credits the bullet in his left arm for his development of his right arm for dribbling, passing and shooting.

I don’t like to attribute game results to officiating but I remember Tommy Garrick picking up the phantom fouls in the 1st half and Silk also mentions phantom fouls were also called on Kenny Green in that game. Silk says the Refs know the teams and it affects them calling the game. A shame this many years later and you feel pain still for the calls impacting the playing time of Tommy and Kenny in that huge NCAA game.

Loved the story about Malone saying he had this good big man who was really going to help. Silk then saw at practice this big guy with bifocals on and laughed. He told Kenny he had to get rid of those bifocals - very funny. He wasn’t initially impressed with Kenny Green but then he saw him play and realized how good he was and how he would help the team.

He mentions how strong Kenny and Bonzie were together. If one didn’t block the shot the other would.

Silk liked both Malone and Penders and enjoyed playing for both. Malone was very direct, Penders instilled a calmness and confidence in the players.

Silk thought this years URI team had talent. He could not understand the losing streak. He was impressed by the Mitchell twins with their ability to run the floor fast and gracefully. Felt team could have been better.

Good story about the Missouri win and how Silk knew some of the players on Missouri like Derrick Chevious.

Nice Story about how packed Keaney gym was and how loud it was for the Temple game.

He would like to coach at URI coming straight out with expressing his desire.

I think he would be a great addition to the coaching staff. All time URI scorer and only one with 2000+ career points. His 3-point, FT and overall shooting proficiency makes him a natural for giving shooters tips on how to improve. He would bring a maturity to the coaching staff that would be valuable to your players and tough coaches. He has a calming personality but when the game starts he is all business.

Great job!!!!! Thoroughly enjoyed the conversational podcast. Hope we have a Silk Part II one day. Hope he gets on the staff here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How many coaches should we have? 15? 20? URI should do more to acknowledge its history and incorporate as many former stars and legends into its current culture as it can. But the basketball team cannot be a make-work program for former players. If the fit works then that’s great and I have no issue with that. But if there are more qualified guys or guys who the head coach prefers, I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong for not hiring someone else just because they played here.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago How many coaches should we have? 15? 20? URI should do more to acknowledge its history and incorporate as many former stars and legends into its current culture as it can. But the basketball team cannot be a make-work program for former players. If the fit works then that’s great and I have no issue with that. But if there are more qualified guys or guys who the head coach prefers, I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong for not hiring someone else just because they played here.
Yup, people here want every URI great to have a place on the coaching staff / involved in the program.

Not every great player can be a good coach. This isn't a charity event where everyone gets a turn/chance.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago How many coaches should we have? 15? 20? URI should do more to acknowledge its history and incorporate as many former stars and legends into its current culture as it can. But the basketball team cannot be a make-work program for former players. If the fit works then that’s great and I have no issue with that. But if there are more qualified guys or guys who the head coach prefers, I’m not going to tell him he’s wrong for not hiring someone else just because they played here.
He has 1 open position.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
Yup, people here want every URI great to have a place on the coaching staff / involved in the program.

Not every great player can be a good coach. This isn't a charity event where everyone gets a turn/chance.
He has only 1 position open. Plenty of posters have voiced their thoughts. It’s a message board.

It’s up to Miller.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He has only 1 position open. Plenty of posters have voiced their thoughts. It’s a message board.

It’s up to Miller.
And you think someone with no collegiate experience, and who played in the 80s, would be a good hire to development players in the current game?

Not only has he never coached before at the college level, he also played in the 80s, which was a completely different game than it is now.

A current coach and/or someone who has been around todays game would be much more beneficial.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s up to Miller.
And you think someone with no collegiate experience, and who played in the 80s, would be a good hire to development players in the current game?

Not only has he never coached before at the college level, he also played in the 80s, which was a completely different game than it is now.

A current coach and/or someone who has been around todays game would be much more beneficial.
Are you referring to Silk Owens?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It’s up to Miller.

Are you referring to Silk Owens?

Yes, but that was a COMPLETE WHIFF on my part.

Didn't do my research before I posted.

Hand on, that's on me.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He has 1 open position.
He does, but of the former players who have been mentioned by our fans as people Archie should consider for his staff, none of them really seem to be good fits for an entry-level position focused on on- and off- court player development. Many of them have been on college coaching staffs which unfortunately make them overqualified. Others have been out of college basketball for too long. A Jimmy Baron or Delroy James seem like the closest thing to a fit for that type of role, but it doesn’t seem like a really good move for Jimmy from where he is now and Delroy (who we don’t even know if he’s be interested it’s just speculation here) is bordering on the “been away for too long” end of the spectrum, although I’d love to see him back in Kingston if he wanted to try to break into coaching. But as far as Silk and Tyson and Preston and TJ, those guys have all been assistant coaches and don’t fit the profile for this job. If they didn’t work for Archie’s staff then I’m not mad at Archie about that. He needs to build his staff up in a way that works for him.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
He has 1 open position.
He does, but of the former players who have been mentioned by our fans as people Archie should consider for his staff, none of them really seem to be good fits for an entry-level position focused on on- and off- court player development. Many of them have been on college coaching staffs which unfortunately make them overqualified. Others have been out of college basketball for too long. A Jimmy Baron or Delroy James seem like the closest thing to a fit for that type of role, but it doesn’t seem like a really good move for Jimmy from where he is now and Delroy (who we don’t even know if he’s be interested it’s just speculation here) is bordering on the “been away for too long” end of the spectrum, although I’d love to see him back in Kingston if he wanted to try to break into coaching. But as far as Silk and Tyson and Preston and TJ, those guys have all been assistant coaches and don’t fit the profile for this job. If they didn’t work for Archie’s staff then I’m not mad at Archie about that. He needs to build his staff up in a way that works for him.
He owns the staff 100%. Just as Cox did. It’s all about results bottom line. Not a charity.

But for anyone who hasn’t listened to Silk’s podcast I highly recommend it.
0 x