Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramfan22
ARD

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 2 weeks ago Someone tell Archie to update his social media
https://www.instagram.com/archie_miller ... BiNWFlZA==
He might not even have access to that account anymore 😂😂
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Ok. , if Archie has the replacement on board, Kudos,to Archie, if he doesn’t -it is just another red flag about Archie.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I pull against Cooley and Gtown and still will continue to do so
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Bout f'n time
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And Malik Mack commits right after they announce Kenny...just a coincidence, I guess......
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago And Malik Mack commits right after they announce Kenny...just a coincidence, I guess......
Yup, the rumor for weeks was that KJ was taking a great player with him to Gtown.

Let's see how we respond after losing our top assistant.. Until we see the final roster, I expect Archie to build a better team. But I'm getting antsy.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago
Ok. , if Archie has the replacement on board, Kudos,to Archie, if he doesn’t -it is just another red flag about Archie.
Every D1 Coach (and probably on down through every level) always at the very least has a mental list of who they would like to go after. They may even have had some preliminary informal talks about if stuff opens up down the line. While the head coach usually knows who they want, it usually comes down to the hoops they have to jump through along with the red tape prior to making it official.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

URI now has to advertise. In the meantime Cunningham will be recruiting.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Bos8 wrote: 2 weeks ago
McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago
Every D1 Coach (and probably on down through every level) always at the very least has a mental list of who they would like to go after. They may even have had some preliminary informal talks about if stuff opens up down the line. While the head coach usually knows who they want, it usually comes down to the hoops they have to jump through along with the red tape prior to making it official.
When you know your top is assistant is leaving it should move on from a “mental list” to a Done Deal. Red tape, or hoops to jump through become an excuse. Don’t you agree that successful people in all professions find a way! The clock is ticking on Archie.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

So much for Cooley and Archie’s “close friendship”. As they say, with friends like these, who needs enemies….
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago So much for Cooley and Archie’s “close friendship”. As they say, with friends like these, who needs enemies….
I don’t question them being friends at all now, Kenny leaving has zero bearing on that.

Kenny upgraded his job is every single way possible.

Who’s to say Kenny didn’t reach out initially?
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago So much for Cooley and Archie’s “close friendship”. As they say, with friends like these, who needs enemies….
I'm very confused by this post. What do you mean?

Assistant coaches move ALL THE TIME. 1 year contracts. Guys jump all over. Coaches will go from D1 to D3 because of a pay raise. Coaches will bounce to another job in the conference because the benefit package is better. Coaches will move from a high major to a mid major because they feel it better sets them up for a head coaching job down the line. They may take a job simply because their family misses home.

A major part of the business is connections. And helping to move your assistants along to their goals is a role many head coaches take very seriously. This could be his dream job. I really don't understand why you think this makes Coach Cooley an enemy?

If Coach Johnson wanted to move and followed all the proper protocols and for some reason Coach Miller tried to block that... there is no one in the country that would want to coach here!
7 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Kenny Johnson to Georgetown move just follows the continuing pattern of Rhody basketball since the season ended one month ago - another person from the program is leaving. Not a single new person coming yet announced. Not exactly good from a fan and PR perspective. If Archie has something positive close to happening, he should probably get it done as fast as possible. People at this point need something to feel good about which will give them some hope. It has pretty much all been negative news for the last month. When will there finally be some good news?
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

To me Tyson Wheeler makes all the sense in the world:

Experienced Assistant Coach in New England
Bleeds Keaney Blue
Undersized star PG to mentor Hammond (and convince him to stay?)

As a bonus: I wonder if Nana Owusu-Anane, Brown's star in the transfer portal, would have any interest in a bump up in competition and following a known entity in Tyson Wheeler
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Section104 wrote: 2 weeks ago To me Tyson Wheeler makes all the sense in the world:

Experienced Assistant Coach in New England
Bleeds Keaney Blue
Undersized star PG to mentor Hammond (and convince him to stay?)

As a bonus: I wonder if Nana Owusu-Anane, Brown's star in the transfer portal, would have any interest in a bump up in competition and following a known entity in Tyson Wheeler
I like that idea ! Whomever the new assistant coach is be nice if he can take a quality player with him !
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 weeks ago The Kenny Johnson to Georgetown move just follows the continuing pattern of Rhody basketball since the season ended one month ago - another person from the program is leaving. Not a single new person coming yet announced. Not exactly good from a fan and PR perspective. If Archie has something positive close to happening, he should probably get it done as fast as possible. People at this point need something to feel good about which will give them some hope. It has pretty much all been negative news for the last month. When will there finally be some good news?
Especially when they're trying to raise money to get players to come here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago URI now has to advertise. In the meantime Cunningham will be recruiting.
In the meantime, Kenny has recruited one of the top players in the portal, Malik Mack, to Georgetown, while we have someone recruiting who has never done it before (Christen) in Kenny's place. Since everyone knew that Kenny was leaving (even if it was only 95%) for a month, we should already have had his replacement recruiting for us and announced who he is 5 minutes after Kenny was announced to Georgetown. We have lost a month of recruiting during the most critical month of building a team. So far, the results show it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago URI now has to advertise. In the meantime Cunningham will be recruiting.
In the meantime, Kenny has recruited one of the top players in the portal, Malik Mack, to Georgetown, while we have someone recruiting who has never done it before (Christen) in Kenny's place. Since everyone knew that Kenny was leaving (even if it was only 95%) for a month, we should already have had his replacement recruiting for us and announced who he is 5 minutes after Kenny was announced to Georgetown. We have lost a month of recruiting during the most critical month of building a team. So far, the results show it.
Sure, losing your top recruiter always hurts, but I am sure Archie was well prepared for this.
We should be okay, not like this never happens.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Sure, losing your top recruiter always hurts, but I am sure Archie was well prepared for this.
So, we've had a new coach recruiting for us the last month? If not, we were not prepared. Times are different. The most critical time for recruiting is now when the season ends and we've been short handed, with one assistant out there recruiting who has never done it before, instead of having a replacement already in place who has done it before, and hopefully been successful at it.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Silk Owens would be a nice choice but could he also fall into the Wheeler, Murphy fantasy? Those two are next in line to interview if Miller fails. You all really think Miller will put his replacement on the bench next to him?

Wishful thinking.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

So, we've had a new coach recruiting for us the last month? If not, we were not prepared. Times are different. The most critical time for recruiting is now when the season ends and we've been short handed, with one assistant out there recruiting who has never done it before, instead of having a replacement already in place who has done it before, and hopefully been successful at it.
Good discussion.

I go back and forth on this. Archie is an experienced, winning coach so, I truly want to believe that the KJ move is not an issue of unpreparedness and he has been prepared for the possibility. Therefore, the good news on players and a KJ replacement will be announced.

But then, I see how long the KJ situation dragged on with no rumors of a replacement, players leaving and no new players being signed while players are signing on with new programs every day.

I really don’t know what to think. I have always been confident in our ability to bounce back from adversity as a program but the lack of any buzz, etc is concerning. I am unsettled in regards to our future and that has never been the case for me in the past - even during the Jerry D debacle.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Coaching changes usually happens at the conclusion of the season, so this is nothing new.
It isn't like Archie, Duane, Austin, and Cunningham were doing nothing and hanging out at the beaches.
Remember we didn't have to get ready for post-season play, so it gave us a little head start.

This isn't an experienced head coach's first rodeo, I would assume Archie is earning his $.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good points as usual, Jersey.

But those points are why my concern level is heading up: We did have a head start yet, no additions or strong rumors even like last year; coaches move at the end of the season yet, no rumors of KJ replacements or a replacement already recruiting for us like in the past.

Granted, other than some KB posters who generously share some intel on the board (and one in particular who does so by text that I am very thankful for), I am really in the dark. So, my concerns could be largely unfounded.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Good points as usual, Jersey.

But those points are why my concern level is heading up: We did have a head start yet, no additions or strong rumors even like last year; coaches move at the end of the season yet, no rumors of KJ replacements or a replacement already recruiting for us like in the past.

Granted, other than some KB posters who generously share some intel on the board (and one in particular who does so by text that I am very thankful for), I am really in the dark. So, my concerns could be largely unfounded.
Drums, I am sure we are in play with several transfers who just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
We will see.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago Good points as usual, Jersey.

Drums, I am sure we are in play with several transfers who just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
We will see.
This rollercoaster ride that is Rhody bb may be making me a bit nauseous but, despite that, I am still holding on, Jersey. The positivity is appreciated. 👍🏼
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It's funny, I don't really remember the meltdowns when Dan Hurley lost arguably better top level assistants to similar level jobs -

Preston Murphy, ARD, Luke Murray all left for the same jobs at higher level programs that could pay more. Just because Archie's assistants pool is good "for us" doesn't mean it's "good" relatively speaking.

Kenny was making $200k here. He was making $750k at Louisville.

Having Kenny here where we've had next to nothing to pay players, is the equivalent of having a ferrari when you live on a dirt road. He could get you connected to any player - but if the player is a 6 figure kid, and you've got 1/2 that or less to offer a player...what do you expect him to do?

Honestly, short of Hammond, KJ brought way more volatile personalities in the locker room since he's bargain bin shopping on the teams he had connections to. As many have observed, the mentality of this team suffered greatly this year. If you recruit a bunch of guys who run hot and cold, that mentality can take over a locker room.

I will wish Kenny well, but in retrospect with NIL this was never going to be a fit. Get someone in here who can focus more on player development and let the collective raise the funds to get the best kids we can mold, instead of looking for homeruns.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago It's funny, I don't really remember the meltdowns when Dan Hurley lost arguably better top level assistants to similar level jobs -

Preston Murphy, ARD, Luke Murray all left for the same jobs at higher level programs that could pay more. Just because Archie's assistants pool is good "for us" doesn't mean it's "good" relatively speaking.

Having Kenny here where we've had next to nothing to pay players, is the equivalent of having a ferrari when you live on a dirt road. He could get you connected to any player - but if the player is a 6 figure kid, and you've got 1/2 that or less to offer a player...what do you expect him to do?

Honestly, short of Hammond, KJ brought way more volatile personalities in the locker room since he's bargain bin shopping on the teams he had connections to. As many have observed, the mentality of this team suffered greatly this year. If you recruit a bunch of guys who run hot and cold, that mentality can take over a locker room.

I will wish Kenny well, but in retrospect with NIL this was never going to be a fit. Get someone in here who can focus more on player development and let the collective raise the funds to get the best kids we can mold, instead of looking for homeruns.
I don't have a problem with Kenny leaving. I have a problem because he wasn't replaced weeks ago. Preston, ARD and Luke didn't have to recruit the portal immediately after the season ended. So much has changed in that regard. The month or so after the season ends is now the most important in roster building (unfortunately), more than recruiting high school kids year round. Maybe Christen Cunningham is a great recruiter. I don't know. He had one player where he was the connection, Always Wright. I just think we may be missing out on players that an experienced assistant coach/recruiter might have at least got some transfers to visit here, never mind sign. Maybe it'll work out. I hope so.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago It's funny, I don't really remember the meltdowns when Dan Hurley lost arguably better top level assistants to similar level jobs -

I don't have a problem with Kenny leaving. I have a problem because he wasn't replaced weeks ago. Preston, ARD and Luke didn't have to recruit the portal immediately after the season ended. So much has changed in that regard. The month or so after the season ends is now the most important in roster building (unfortunately), more than recruiting high school kids year round. Maybe Christen Cunningham is a great recruiter. I don't know. He had one player where he was the connection, Always Wright. I just think we may be missing out on players that an experienced assistant coach/recruiter might have at least got some transfers to visit here, never mind sign. Maybe it'll work out. I hope so.
Like…we’re aware that the basketball staff doesn’t have to run everything by the message board fans (of which 44% polled refuse to contribute to the program) before they do it, right?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good post Blueman.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago

Like…we’re aware that the basketball staff doesn’t have to run everything by the message board fans (of which 44% polled refuse to contribute to the program) before they do it, right?
My argument against that is, in this era of trying to raise money for NIL to Rhody Excellence, wouldn't it benefit that cause to know if we have a new assistant coach or new players? Get some people talking about the program, adding some excitement? Just getting some info out is marketing the product.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

My argument against that is, in this era of trying to raise money for NIL to Rhody Excellence, wouldn't it benefit that cause to know if we have a new assistant coach or new players? Get some people talking about the program, adding some excitement? Just getting some info out is marketing the product.
I agree BB, If you want more success in the "Collective" and are asking the fanbase to help contribute and fund the players, then having a little more transparency into what is going on in the program, would certainly seem to help benefit the cause.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Yes, of course! Can't have ask for your cake and eat it too.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think it's a stretch to say that those that don't want to pay the shakedown street fee NIL..."refuse to contribute to the program"
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

The way I read this is that it doesn’t matter who is recruiting if he doesn’t have the cash. So was Kenny good at recruiting because he did what he was accused of? And now that everyone is in on the graft he needs to have the most money to be successful?

Those of you who say this has been going on forever, then I assume we paid and were the high bidders for EC, JT, Fatts, Jeff, etc? Because good coaches have been able to get good players here in the past without average fans paying…just like that model better. Call me crazy.
Last edited by RIFan 1 week ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago

I think it's a stretch to say that those that don't want to pay the shakedown street fee NIL..."refuse to contribute to the program"
I'm still standing by my stance that the media rights deal needs to be amended. A certain percentage goes to the school, the rest goes to the NIL. If URI needs to eliminate Olympic sports because of it, so be it. But the revenue generated for the school by basketball, needs to somehow get to the players.
0 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Why does it feel like the wheels are falling off of this program?
1 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Blue Man wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm still standing by my stance that the media rights deal needs to be amended. A certain percentage goes to the school, the rest goes to the NIL. If URI needs to eliminate Olympic sports because of it, so be it. But the revenue generated for the school by basketball, needs to somehow get to the players.
As long as we have a football team, Olympic sports will remain. With Title 9, the university has 63 male scholarships to match. Could a reduction be possible sure, but I don't believe its coming anytime soon.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago Why does it feel like the wheels are falling off of this program?
Idk the B1G transfer seems to think that’s not the case.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Things have changed a lot in two years. I wouldn’t hold Archie to that statement today.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago
RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago So since Kenny was out of the game for a year and so was our HC we were unable to get the caliber of players we wanted or needed at least that was the excuse, so now it’s they didn’t have enough NIL. Also he was hit with NCAA sanctions and we stuck by him…and now as NIL is increasing and sanctions are lifting and he has re-established his connections he is leaving. What a guy.
He'll serve half his punishment at Georgetown, but yeah, I'm not thrilled we stuck by him just to do this a year later. I guess if Hammond comes here and especially if he stays for multiple years you can say it was worth it, but otherwise it was definitely a miscalculation
We should have fired him the day he was show caused
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Blue Man wrote: 1 week ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago Why does it feel like the wheels are falling off of this program?

Idk, I think a decommit from a 4 star freshman would say otherwise.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago

You were going to have Hammond or Lawrence, not both. For one year...who do you take?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If Hammond goes to Georgetown with KJ I might even root for Providence over Georgetown the next few seasons.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

You were going to have Hammond or Lawrence, not both. For one year...who do you take?
Hammond in a second. He would have been the future if they could have kept him somehow for 4 years
2 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Idk, I’d rather have a player that chose to be here as a high school recruit. Why is Lawerence leaving a program that is just coming off an NCAA appearance?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m glad people understand why Kenny had to take the better job, that must mean they are also ok with the loss of Hammond. It’s all very reasonable and understandable…no need to be upset. Fans shouldn’t get upset when bad things happen to their team if it was because of a better opportunity for the player or coach. Just accept your place in the college basketball hierarchy and be happy watching them succeed elsewhere!
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Idk, I’d rather have a player that chose to be here as a high school recruit. Why is Lawerence leaving a program that is just coming off an NCAA appearance?
Great question. He must like the ocean and coffee milk
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Preston Murphy - go get a guy that has brought talent here before. He looked pretty active on a final four team's bench.

I doubt Archie feels anything but happy for KJ given that he gave him a job when he was handicapped by the ncaa and now he's ok. Kind of took care of the guy.

He needs to take care of the team now.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why do people keep talking about PMurph coming back here?

There's no way we could pay him enough, he makes twice what we pay our top assistant.

The only way he comes back here is as a HC.

Which imo would be awesome!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 week ago Preston Murphy - go get a guy that has brought talent here before. He looked pretty active on a final four team's bench.

I doubt Archie feels anything but happy for KJ given that he gave him a job when he was handicapped by the ncaa and now he's ok. Kind of took care of the guy.

He needs to take care of the team now.
Why would Preston leave a final four team and take a pay cut for a below average A10 team, regardless if he played here or not?
1 x
Go Rhody