Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Can we hire immediately? You'd figure Archie has been on the phones for a few weeks now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Here's the question - are we still paying KJ if his contract ends in June? Does GT reimburse? Is there any sort of breach of contract rules that is simply part of the business of going to another job? I'm not saying we should sue or anything, just whenever all these assistants leave for other positions, that are all on year to year contracts what happens when an assistant leaves before the contract is up? We shouldn't be paying an assistant for working for another school.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

wgracie99 wrote: 1 week ago Can we hire immediately? You'd figure Archie has been on the phones for a few weeks now.
State job, needs to be posted for I think like 30 days until an official announcement can be made.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 week ago
wgracie99 wrote: 1 week ago Can we hire immediately? You'd figure Archie has been on the phones for a few weeks now.
State job, needs to be posted for I think like 30 days until an official announcement can be made.

Was the same situation after Hurley left. Hiring rules were in place which had to be followed. Everyone however knew it was already a done deal as the fix was in for Cox. Just had to go through the motions for show. It would not surprise me given the prolonged time span with KJ, that a similar scenario might now possibly be in play behind the scenes that people are not publicly aware of.
Last edited by RF1 1 week ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Archie being the lead recruiter during this time is not a bad thing.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 1 week ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago

Idk, I think a decommit from a 4 star freshman would say otherwise.
You were going to have Hammond or Lawrence, not both. For one year...who do you take?
Hammond in a second. He would have been the future if they could have kept him somehow for 4 years
But that will never ever happen. You can't plan beyond 1 yr I don't think. And in that case, Lawrence has to be the play
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 week ago Archie being the lead recruiter during this time is not a bad thing.
??? See Hammond
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Here's the question - are we still paying KJ if his contract ends in June? Does GT reimburse? Is there any sort of breach of contract rules that is simply part of the business of going to another job? I'm not saying we should sue or anything, just whenever all these assistants leave for other positions, that are all on year to year contracts what happens when an assistant leaves before the contract is up? We shouldn't be paying an assistant for working for another school.
Guessing that KJ resigned when accepting Georgetown job. Therefore, no pay for KJ.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago If Hammond goes to Georgetown with KJ I might even root for Providence over Georgetown the next few seasons.
Really? Because of a kid who never enrolled, took a class, put on uniform, etc. at URI? Get over it.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 1 week ago Preston Murphy - go get a guy that has brought talent here before. He looked pretty active on a final four team's bench.

I doubt Archie feels anything but happy for KJ given that he gave him a job when he was handicapped by the ncaa and now he's ok. Kind of took care of the guy.

He needs to take care of the team now.
Why would Preston leave a final four team and take a pay cut for a below average A10 team, regardless if he played here or not?
He just signed a new deal at $450k/yr
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We need a portal wizard, talent evaluator, scouting department. Not another assistant coach with connections and geographic centric focus
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need a defensive wiz and FT guru too.

In other words we need a lot not just players.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

What is a portal wizard?

I remember talking to a D2 assistant coach back 15 years ago. Jeff Goodman use to release the transfer list and the coach would call every low-mid major school on there to find out why the kid was leaving and to see if they had interest in dropping down and playing right away.

Those days are long gone. No way one assistant coach (or even an entire staff!) could sift through enough synergy cut ups to find a diamond in the rough.
0 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Was archie not ready for the departure of KJ ? Quite on the hiring front no rumors at all
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 week ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago If Hammond goes to Georgetown with KJ I might even root for Providence over Georgetown the next few seasons.
Really? Because of a kid who never enrolled, took a class, put on uniform, etc. at URI? Get over it.
I think it's BS if another team takes our asst and one of his recruits with him. No I will not get over it.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Did Mike Aaman decommit to follow Hurley? If that was the case, were people complaining?

And didn't Tyrese Martin eventually join Hurley and much of the staff that originally recruited him to UConn?
Last edited by Bos8 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago
I think it's BS if another team takes our asst and one of his recruits with him. No I will not get over it.
I would say that is quite literally the #1 reason why assistant coaches get hired. Many assistant coach job interviews probably start with the question "What kids could you/are you going to bring in".
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 1 week ago

Did Mike Aaman decommit to follow Hurley? If that was the case, were people complaining?

And didn't Tyrese Martin follow him?
Don't recall what Aaman did. I felt the same about Martin that I do about Hammond. Martin is worse because he left after the only successful season Cox had here.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 1 week ago

I would say that is quite literally the #1 reason why assistant coaches get hired. Many assistant coach job interviews probably start with the question "What kids could you/are you going to bring in".
It's still BS.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I highly doubt Hammond is going with him.
Mack was who Gtown was after; I still think there is a good shot Hammond ends up at Mason.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 1 week ago

Mack was who Gtown was after; I still think there is a good shot Hammond ends up at Mason.
Yeah I noticed that he followed a few Mason people late in the season.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

We know this happens but you can’t use Hurley as a comp since he was the HC and that is very common for recruits to follow the HC. BTW, I don’t know if Ben is following KJ, and that would be even more aggravating if he did. But I am also one of the people who didn’t think Ben would be here long enough to make a real impact if he was as good as we hoped.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah I noticed that he followed a few Mason people late in the season.
I'm going to be PISSED if he ends up at George Mason! It would be one thing if his profile blew up and he went to a higher level school. If he broke his commitment to go to a school in the same conference as us, that hasn't been to the tournament as a member of the A10, to play in front of less fans than we get at the Ryan Center than I'll have no respect for him and he's going to get the Zdeno Chara in Montreal treatment from me every time he steps in the Ryan Center
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 1 week ago What is a portal wizard?

I remember talking to a D2 assistant coach back 15 years ago. Jeff Goodman use to release the transfer list and the coach would call every low-mid major school on there to find out why the kid was leaving and to see if they had interest in dropping down and playing right away.

Those days are long gone. No way one assistant coach (or even an entire staff!) could sift through enough synergy cut ups to find a diamond in the rough.
For me portal wizard is someone that digs and digs into players in the portal, their stats, profiles, game tapes, local former team print media coverages, etc. yes, to find the diamonds in rough coupled with team defensive and offensive needs.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I talk to Mike from time to time and I will ask him. He worships the ground that Dan walks on. But that’s nothing new.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

steviep123 wrote: 1 week ago Here's the question - are we still paying KJ if his contract ends in June? Does GT reimburse? Is there any sort of breach of contract rules that is simply part of the business of going to another job? I'm not saying we should sue or anything, just whenever all these assistants leave for other positions, that are all on year to year contracts what happens when an assistant leaves before the contract is up? We shouldn't be paying an assistant for working for another school.
In the past, we have had assistant coaches quietly "working " for us for a couple months while being paid by their previous school. Compensation from the former school was better than what they were getting here. I assume this happens regularly.
2 x
BattleTested
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BattleTested »

The contract is terminated when he leaves.. Depending on the wording, the school he is going to might have to buy out his remaining contract.. but usually, it doesn't come to that. Regardless, as soon as he leaves we do not pay anything else to him.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If so....how do you think he'll be received at the Ry?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The diehards will boo and the casuals won't know Ben Hammond from Gregory Hammond.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Too bad we can’t get a RoadyJay poster for his potential return to the Ry. Would imagine it would be a classic.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

STC wrote: 1 week ago

The diehards will boo and the casuals won't know Ben Hammond from Gregory Hammond.
Or Jeffrey Hammond. (Have to be a Jethro Tull fan to know who he is.)
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 week ago

Idk, I think a decommit from a 4 star freshman would say otherwise.
You were going to have Hammond or Lawrence, not both. For one year...who do you take?
Hammond in a second. He would have been the future if they could have kept him somehow for 4 years
For one year? Lawrence, without question. Lawrence is a better player right now. You want Hammond because he could have developed into an all-conference guard. He wasn't going to be that next year. I actually think Lawrence could be an all-conference player this year if he makes a jump. Lawrence had some big games against legit competition. He should thrive in the A10. We need it.

4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago

For one year? Lawrence, without question. Lawrence is a better player right now. You want Hammond because he could have developed into an all-conference guard. He wasn't going to be that next year. I actually think Lawrence could be an all-conference player this year if he makes a jump. Lawrence had some big games against legit competition. He should thrive in the A10. We need it.

He looks like the most athletic guard we have had in a while.

I would assume he likes the idea of Archie developing his PG abilities.

Our guards suddenly look pretty damn formidable.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago

ha! not just Jeffrey Hammond, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond ;) And, yes, I would rather see him play here than Ben, or Lawrence probably
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ha! not just Jeffrey Hammond, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond ;) And, yes, I would rather see him play here than Ben, or Lawrence probably
Correct. His real name is Jeffrey Hammond. His stage name was Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond. Never quite understood that.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Stevey, thanks for the 2 vids on Lawrence earlier today. Much appreciated.

I like what I saw of his game in that small sample. However, I think what I like most about him is that he has experience playing in relevant games for a power conference team that was relevant last season and for a good coach.

I think that experience will have a positive impact on Archie’s culture installation. Even better if he stays 2 years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BB78, I only knew him by his stage name :lol: (
JD, you were not, I don't believe, going to get "experience playing in relevant games for a power conference team that was relevant last season and for a good coach" level play from Hammond in 24-25, you just weren't...and you can't have both. Take heart, this seems better.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago BB78, I only knew him by his stage name :lol: (
JD, you were not, I don't believe, going to get "experience playing in relevant games for a power conference team that was relevant last season and for a good coach" level play from Hammond in 24-25, you just weren't...and you can't have both. Take heart, this seems better.
Very correct. I’ve come around to your line of thinking NYG; give me the experience because it will get us back to relevance quicker. I can’t afford to keep waiting for the youngin’s to develop.

That said, I admit, I really liked Hammond’s speed and skill set and was excited to see how he would do here. I have always been partial to quick, shifty, floor general PG’s. Too bad we aren’t under the old system where kids committed, stayed and graduated from the same school (except for sit-out transfers and those leaving early for the NBA).
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I don't get the reference to Jeffrey Hammond. I'm thick as a brick.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Keep in mind he averaged 6 Ppg off the bench. Everyone thought Weston would be a star because he came from Seton Hall. He did very little. I think Lawrence is going to be a good player, but is not a star and surrounded by a below average guard group we aren’t winning whether Lawrence is here or Hammond. There still isn’t a good point guard or three point shooter on this team. Why couldn’t they have Lawrence with Hammond? Too much to ask for Archie to ever take a step forward?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Keep in mind he averaged 6 Ppg off the bench. Everyone thought Weston would be a star because he came from Seton Hall. He did very little. I think Lawrence is going to be a good player, but is not a star and surrounded by a below average guard group we aren’t winning whether Lawrence is here or Hammond. There still isn’t a good point guard or three point shooter on this team. Why couldn’t they have Lawrence with Hammond? Too much to ask for Archie to ever take a step forward?
As a sophomore in The Big Ten, on an NCAA tournament 8 seed, Lawrence started 23 out of 34 games, played 24 minutes a game, averaged 7 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and shot 36% from 3.

Brandon Weston didn’t even finish his first game at Seton Hall as a freshman as he hurt his ankle and knee.

In no world can you compare the two players.

Also, David Green shot 43% and Cam Estevez shot 42% from 3.

Those are well above average %s.

Your whole post is completely wrong.
5 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

As a sophomore in The Big Ten, on an NCAA tournament 8 seed, Lawrence started 23 out of 34 games, played 24 minutes a game, averaged 7 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and shot 36% from 3.

Brandon Weston didn’t even finish his first game at Seton Hall as a freshman as he hurt his ankle and knee.

If you are calling Green and Cam(who had limited shots) big time three point shooters then you can keep believing that this wasn’t a last place team last year. Weston had injuries and had not played barely at all. He back and look at the hype he had when he came to URI. What is the issue if we have these many snipers? Why are we always at the bottom? Let’s keep in mind Lawrence averaged under 7 points a game. He sounds like a good team player, but by no means a difference maker that puts his team on his back. I keep hearing how all these guys like House and Luis are so good and yet we stunk. If everyone is so good we must be one player away from the A-10 title
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Name me one game where Brandon Weston made an impact at Seton Hall.

Name me one game where Tchikou made an impact at Alabama.

We hyped them up based on their high school rankings, but they didn't prove themselves at the high-major level. Lawrence, on the other hand, has. He averaged 7 points not 6, but he also averaged 8.2 points per game and shot 48% from 3 in his final 15 games as a sophomore in the Big Ten. If you doubt that he'll make a significant leap in the A10, I'm not sure what else to say. I think you're wrong.

Let me give you some examples of players who made a decent impact at their high-major schools before making a huge impact in the A10:

Matt Cross averaged 5.8 points his sophomore year at Louisville but was one of the best players in the A10 this year.
Stan Robinson averaged 3.0 points at Indiana his sophomore year.
Kuran Iverson averaged 4.6 points at Memphis in his sophomore year.
Foster Loyer averaged 4.6 points as a junior at Michigan State.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

We hyped them up based on their high school rankings, but they didn't prove themselves at the high-major level. Lawrence, on the other hand, has. He averaged 7 points not 6, but he also averaged 8.2 points per game and shot 48% from 3 in his final 15 games as a sophomore in the Big Ten. If you doubt that he'll make a significant leap in the A10, I'm not sure what else to say. I think you're wrong.

Let me give you some examples of players who made a decent impact at their high-major schools before making a huge impact in the A10:

Matt Cross averaged 5.8 points his sophomore year at Louisville but was one of the best players in the A10 this year.
Agreed, there’s a difference between averaging 7 PPG and playing 20+ minutes a game on a power 5, and redshirting or playing under 5 minutes a game. Both of those guys medically redshirted at a power 5 and didn’t play more than 1 game combined I believe.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm more excited about Lawrence than any player since _______
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Matt Keebler
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I didn’t say that Lawrence wouldn’t be good. I’m nominating him to all conference because he averaged 7 Ppg at Nebraska. He seems like a good piece. If he is as good as some say he is gone anyway after this year so they best make the tourney. Doesn’t it also make no sense how people say year 3/4 will be Archie’s year? How can we say that when there is full turnover every year and they are all on 1 contracts and free agents. I like Lawrence, but we did not gain by losing Hammond. I like Lawrence better than any of the guards we have on this team for sure.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago I'm more excited about Lawrence than any player since _______
Ben Hammond :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Serious question. If Kenny was still here, would Ben still be here? I don't think that he would. He saw all the praise and attention he was getting this year at Paul VI. I just think he could do better, and he probably will. Kenny leaving might have played a part, but I don't think Ben was coming either way. It still sucks.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If you are calling Green and Cam(who had limited shots) big time three point shooters then you can keep believing that this wasn’t a last place team last year. Weston had injuries and had not played barely at all. He back and look at the hype he had when he came to URI. What is the issue if we have these many snipers? Why are we always at the bottom? Let’s keep in mind Lawrence averaged under 7 points a game. He sounds like a good team player, but by no means a difference maker that puts his team on his back. I keep hearing these guys like House and Luis are so good and yet we stunk. If everyone is so good we must be one player away from the A-10 title
Wait, what? David Green is a good 3-point shooter, as is Cam.

Our issue last year wasn't scoring. In Archie's first year, our 3-point shooting ranked dead last at just under 30%. This year, we were in the middle of the pack at 34%. Our scoring also improved from dead last to 7th in the conference.

Our struggles stemmed from having one of the worst defensive teams in our program's history. While we could score against most teams, we struggled to stop anyone. Landing a solid Big Ten defender like Lawrence will help our backcourt defense. Towards the end of the year, I also noticed House improving as a defender, though he had a rough start.. Green was thrust into the starting lineup after sitting out, which is never easy. Archie mentioned multiple times that Green was giving his all, but he appeared exhausted in some games. I expect him to be in better game shape this year, leading to improved defense. Additionally, Fuchs and Cam having another offseason under their belts should help. I also anticipate Archie bringing in one or two defensive-minded players from the transfer portal.

We have a lot of work to do but Lawerence is a great start. Let's see who else we bring on.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING