Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by McRam »

The more I think about this hire, I hope we get someone who complements Archie.I am referring to the fact that Archie is not a cheerleader, not extroverted and likely not well connected with today’s “unique” generation. I hope we get an experienced and outgoing , enthusiastic and “youngish “ coach. Someone who,can connect with Gen Z. (:is that w the gen we are dealing with?😄)

What I don’t want is an Archie double that might is older than Archie.
0 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BattleTested »

ramster wrote: 1 week ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 week ago
ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago

True. But I’m referring to Johnson going to Georgetown. He was there working and un-announced at Georgetown for a while before “blurry picture” type leak escaped.
Yeah but everyone knew he was gone, or could be gone. Was reported over a month ago. There are people that know who this guy is, but won't leak the info.
No. Johnson was gone before it was leaked out or announced.
that is inaccurate. KJ was at URI until it became official with GTown
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago

Yeah but everyone knew he was gone, or could be gone. Was reported over a month ago. There are people that know who this guy is, but won't leak the info.
I have this awesome bridge in E Providence that you can get really really cheap, too
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 week ago
BattleTested wrote: 1 week ago

I have this awesome bridge in E Providence that you can get really really cheap, too
Johnson was announced April 20

1st article about Johnson to Georgetown was March 20 and done unconfirmed rumors before that.

I could agree that Johnson was physically at URI until April 15th but I’d struggle to believe Johnson was not already doing some recruiting functions Georgetown related prior to the formal April 15 official announcement.
Just like Cooley already had his real estate prep work ready to go in advance of his departure announcement.

And personally I have no problem with Johnson leaving early and working for Cooley. These guys typically have 1 year contracts, maybe 2 and can be more at P5’s but not typically at mid-majors.

Thinks have changed as April, May were not huge work months but now with Porta-Palooza and May1st cut offs and High School Recruiting going the way of the Do-Do bird it’s a much more important time.

I’d find it very, very, very hard to believe Johnson did not make a single phone call, tweet……prior to April 15 for Georgetown and I’d guess the Rhody related calls, tweets……diminished significantly the month prior to April 15

How much is that EP Bridge 208?
IMG_3340.png
IMG_3341.png
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He would seem to fit the criteria discussed last week...

EDIT: Also, I see STC threw out this name last week to. So shout out to them for potentially nailing this one!

Last edited by adam914 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

More on Whitford from his Ball State bio...some big time experience as an assistant and some very good recruiting classes.

https://ballstatesports.com/sports/mens ... itford/849
Whitford served four years on the staff at Arizona, including his final two as the associate head coach. He was with Arizona head coach Sean Miller for eight seasons, dating back to Miller's days guiding the Xavier program.

Whitford also brought more than a decade of experience with the MAC, having served on the staff at Miami University under Herb Sendek and Charlie Coles for 11 seasons before joining Miller at Xavier.

Whitford served as recruiting coordinator at Arizona and helped the program consistently land nationally ranked signing classes. The Wildcats’ 2012 class was rated as high as third in the country.

Whitford was in charge of developing Arizona’s post players, one of whom, Derrick Williams, became the No. 2 overall selection in the 2011 NBA Draft. He also led the defensive coordination for a Wildcats team that allowed fewer than 64 points per game in each of his final two seasons. The 2012-13 Arizona team outscored its opponents by nearly 10 points per game.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago More on Whitford from his Ball State bio...some big time experience as an assistant and some very good recruiting classes.

Whitford served four years on the staff at Arizona, including his final two as the associate head coach. He was with Arizona head coach Sean Miller for eight seasons, dating back to Miller's days guiding the Xavier program.

Whitford also brought more than a decade of experience with the MAC, having served on the staff at Miami University under Herb Sendek and Charlie Coles for 11 seasons before joining Miller at Xavier.

Whitford served as recruiting coordinator at Arizona and helped the program consistently land nationally ranked signing classes. The Wildcats’ 2012 class was rated as high as third in the country.

Whitford was in charge of developing Arizona’s post players, one of whom, Derrick Williams, became the No. 2 overall selection in the 2011 NBA Draft. He also led the defensive coordination for a Wildcats team that allowed fewer than 64 points per game in each of his final two seasons. The 2012-13 Arizona team outscored its opponents by nearly 10 points per game.
Does he have any of them bigs?
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago He would seem to fit the criteria discussed last week...

EDIT: Also, I see STC threw out this name last week to. So shout out to them for potentially nailing this one!

Battle Tested knew before any of us, I think. Good intel from them.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago More on Whitford from his Ball State bio...some big time experience as an assistant and some very good recruiting classes.

Does he have any of them bigs?
Ball State had a ridiculous good forward but he's going to Arizona St.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago
ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Just guessing but maybe Charles Thomas on the short list, unless Joyce hires him back for the Dukes.

He was an assistant last season at SLU and before that many years for Dambrot at Akron and Duquesne.

He also happens to be from Dayton, Ohio.
But the source said the person was last in a Head Coach position 2 years ago in 2022 and he hasn’t been a Head Coach since - he was not an Assistant Coach 2 years ago.

Follow the clues
a former URI player played for this guy?
Ish El Amin
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If it is him, he was fired on Mach 14, so has been available to do recruiting for us.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

McRam wrote: 1 week ago If it is him, he was fired on Mach 14, so has been available to do recruiting for us.
He got fired last year, didn't he?

Actually he got fired in 2022.
Last edited by Billyboy78 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago
McRam wrote: 1 week ago If it is him, he was fired on Mach 14, so has been available to do recruiting for us.
He got fired in '22.
Seems like a comfortable fit for Archie.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 week ago
adam914 wrote: 1 week ago He would seem to fit the criteria discussed last week...

Battle Tested knew before any of us, I think. Good intel from them.
Yes , great intel Battle tested spot on

Has great experience and coached with Arch before , nice hire
4 x
BattleTested
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BattleTested »

Happy to help
4 x
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
He got fired in '22.
Yes it is. Is that a good thing? We will find out. I hope it is.

If this is the guy, attached is a good article that talks about his firing and his record at Ball State.

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/spor ... 045571001/

He received a nice buy out of his contract that ran through April of 2024. The amount was $519,125. If the school had waited until May 1st instead of March 15th, the buyout would have been $351,083. I am glad the school treated him right and did not wait the six weeks so they could save $168,042. The guy was there for nine years. Of course, they fired him but that happens quite often in this job.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Why didn't he bring Payton Sparks with him?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago Why didn't he bring Payton Sparks with him?
Sparks did a Bassy....Ball State----> Indiana---->Ball State.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Now official. I'm intrigued by his past recruiting success as an assistant. Hopefully he can continue that here.

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In his bio, it says one of the things he's known for are his defensive schemes. Would that be the packline? I know he coached under Sean, so I would assume it is. Does anybody know what kind of defense he ran at Ball State?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

He has his work laid out right in front of him, clear mission, goals, and expected results. Welcome aboard Coach. Rent, don’t buy, unless Narragansett.
Last edited by section(105) 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good quality hire it seems , no complaints from me
2 x
Ramfan22
ARD

@JBWW12 is Whitford’s twitter. Looked like he created it in March.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago In his bio, it says one of the things he's known for are his defensive schemes. Would that be the packline? I know he coached under Sean, so I would assume it is. Does anybody know what kind of defense he ran at Ball State?
Yes it appears he is a pack line guy. Came across this with some of his notes on the defense.

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/wp ... rizona.pdf

This article says that Sean hired Whitford specifically to help with the transition to the pack line. Whitford played for Dick Bennett.

https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com ... hoop-talk/

Also some more talk about it here...

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/05/ ... ding-three

The more I read about this guy the more I like the hire. I think with Kenny we hired a great recruiter, but with Whitford it sounds like we may have hired someone who is a good recruiter and also a good coach.
Last edited by adam914 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 1 week ago He has his work laid out right in front of him, clear mission, goals, and expected results. Welcome aboard Coach. Rent, don’t buy, unless Narragansett.
nail'd it
1 x
:lol:
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

GGWP Cams Rams
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

STC wrote: 3 weeks ago I looked at staffs Archie has worked on going back to his Arizona days. The only assistant he’s worked with that I could realistically see coming here is James Whitford.

Whitford and Archie worked together at Arizona and Whitford was most recently the head coach at Ball State for 9 years where he was fired at the conclusion of the 2022 season.
😏😏
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago Now official. I'm intrigued by his past recruiting success as an assistant. Hopefully he can continue that here.

Thanks for posting this, Adam.

A lot of HC coaching experience on the staff is a good thing. And, we have a healthy amount of it.

I haven’t looked into his high school/prep (traditional) recruiting strengths/weaknesses so, I will wait on others here to weigh-in. Although, I don’t know if traditional recruiting is as important as it used to be with the advent of the portal.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago
adam914 wrote: 1 week ago Now official. I'm intrigued by his past recruiting success as an assistant. Hopefully he can continue that here.

Thanks for posting this, Adam.

A lot of HC coaching experience on the staff is a good thing. And, we have a healthy amount of it.

I haven’t looked into his high school/prep (traditional) recruiting strengths/weaknesses so, I will wait on others here to weigh-in. Although, I don’t know if traditional recruiting is as important as it used to be with the advent of the portal.
They may still decide to keep Cunningham on the road interacting with recruits.
Of course, don't know what the plan is.
Regardless, Whitford appears to be a strong hire and someone that Archie is very familiar and comfortable with.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 week ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 week ago In his bio, it says one of the things he's known for are his defensive schemes. Would that be the packline? I know he coached under Sean, so I would assume it is. Does anybody know what kind of defense he ran at Ball State?
Yes it appears he is a pack line guy. Came across this with some of his notes on the defense.

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/wp ... rizona.pdf

This article says that Sean hired Whitford specifically to help with the transition to the pack line. Whitford played for Dick Bennett.

https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com ... hoop-talk/

Also some more talk about it here...

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/05/ ... ding-three

The more I read about this guy the more I like the hire. I think with Kenny we hired a great recruiter, but with Whitford it sounds like we may have hired someone who is a good recruiter and also a good coach.
Great research Adam , liking this hire !
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think the recruits and this hire are more strategic than Archie was able to do previously, where he was putting quarters in one of those arcade machines hoping he could grab the best prize.
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 week ago I think the recruits and this hire are more strategic than Archie was able to do previously, where he was putting quarters in one of those arcade machines hoping he could grab the best prize.
For me,that was year 1. Year 2 seemed very similar in that he kept pulling the offense lever. Year3? We will see.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramfan22
ARD

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 week ago
Ha, he didn't even have time to switch his Twitter bio and photo before they announced it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good for him!!!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

What was Christen's role? Was he a full assistant? Do we have room for someone like Tyson or is this more of an entry level assistant/GM role we'd be backfilling?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good for him!!!
Good to see schools acknowledge the need for a gm. The question still to be answered is ...is the GM going to be on the coach's staff...or unconnected, like other pro sports?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote: 1 week ago What was Christen's role? Was he a full assistant? Do we have room for someone like Tyson or is this more of an entry level assistant/GM role we'd be backfilling?
He started as director of player development but was elevated to an assistant before last season I believe. I think that move coincided with the NCAA allowing more assistant coaches on staff. I'd say of the 5 assistants he was probably in the 4th position if you were going to rank them.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Section104 wrote: 1 week ago What was Christen's role? Was he a full assistant? Do we have room for someone like Tyson or is this more of an entry level assistant/GM role we'd be backfilling?
He started as director of player development but was elevated to an assistant before last season I believe. I think that move coincided with the NCAA allowing more assistant coaches on staff. I'd say of the 5 assistants he was probably in the 4th position if you were going to rank them.
Agree he would be 4th in line behind Duane , Coach W and AC
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Duane Woodward
James Whitford
Austin Carroll
Ben Sander - Assistant/Chief of Staff
OPEN

Will be interesting to see who we target and what our budget is to see if there's a potential upgrade. Not sure Christen was tied to any recruits so I see this as an opportunity.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I nominate NYG for the position as GM/KB liaison.

Not sure if NYG is bringing any players with him, to answer your question, 104, unless he brings a few from KB. Anyone here have any eligibility left ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 week ago I nominate NYG for the position as GM/KB liaison.

Not sure if NYG is bringing any players with him, to answer your question, 104, unless he brings a few from KB. Anyone here have any eligibility left ?
I do. I can still shoot. I just can't run or jump anymore. Is that good enough?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What do you think about playing D?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm not crossing half court.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wonder if that means you only get half the NIL you would normally receive ?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Me either. You're in. 👍
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 week ago
He got fired in '22.
My mistake. Thanks
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago
BattleTested wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm hearing we've already hired KJ's replacement and he's already here recruiting... And no it was not an in house hire.
I'd expect there to be an announcement in the next couple days
Good to know, thanks for the info! I assumed that was the case. No reason to think Archie was going to just sit around and let us be short handed on the staff.
Thank you BattleTested for the advance info on the Assistant Coach. Excellent job of keeping the name confidential, yet give a clue or two to allow some fun on the board to let fans guess. Well done!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 week ago
STC wrote: 3 weeks ago I looked at staffs Archie has worked on going back to his Arizona days. The only assistant he’s worked with that I could realistically see coming here is James Whitford.

Whitford and Archie worked together at Arizona and Whitford was most recently the head coach at Ball State for 9 years where he was fired at the conclusion of the 2022 season.
😏😏
Great job STC in reviewing the clues and arriving at the right place with your assessment.
2 x