Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Figured I'd start this thread since people were clamoring for it. I imagine we'll hear more in the coming weeks but let the speculation flow here.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me Mo, Larry, and Joe for all I care.

Just win, baby!
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Okay.
I will move some names over from the other thread to this one.
Very possible- Tom Ostrom
Would like but not probable - Matt Abdelmassih, Al Pinkins
Popular choice- Tyson Wheeler
HC maybe moving down - Jamion Christian
Holdover and up and comer - TJ if Archie gets 2 other high powered assistants, or in a diminished role.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely would like Tyson on the staff especially if we can get an Ostrom
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Christian had some behind-the-scenes issues at GW - not likely that he comes here.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Tom Ostrom is a realistic target and would be great.
Allen Griffen is at his Alma Mater Syracuse but that staff could shake up depending on what happens with Jimmy B.
Mike Roberts seems to be Wes Millers guy at Cincinnati but he was with Archie at IU
Bill Comer will come over because he has always been with Archie- He will slide into Director of Basketball Operations

Tyson maybe.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I was going to mention Allen Griffin also
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Tom Ostrom is a realistic target and would be great.
Allen Griffen is at his Alma Mater Syracuse but that staff could shake up depending on what happens with Jimmy B.
Mike Roberts seems to be Wes Millers guy at Cincinnati but he was with Archie at IU
Bill Comer will come over because he has always been with Archie- He will slide into Director of Basketball Operations

Tyson maybe.
If Jimmy B retires a good chance Autrey will be promoted to HC.
Autrey another Syracuse alum and former player would probably retain Griffin.
Probably the same if Mike Hopkins (HC Washington) comes back, another former alum, assistant, and player.

Otherwise yeah Griffin coming here would make sense.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Christian had some behind-the-scenes issues at GW - not likely that he comes here.
Really? What happened?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

His staff in his last year at Indiana was Tom Ostrom, Kenya Hunter, and Mike Roberts. Ostrom and Hunter were co-associate head coaches, a ridiculous title but sometimes egos need to be stroked (Kenya). Hunter wants to be a head coach soon, so I can’t see him leaving Indiana, unless he somehow sees an assistant job at URI as a quicker path to that. Ostrom was making around 380,000 at Indiana.

His Dayton 16-17 staff was Ostrom, Allen Griffin (Syracuse), and Kevin Kuwik (Davidson). Jim Boeheim doesn’t seem to have any plans of retiring, even though he’s out of sons and this past season wasn’t great.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Where is Ostrom now? I wasn’t able to Google it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Where is Ostrom now? I wasn’t able to Google it.
Not sure he is coaching and probably still living in Indiana.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

This to me is key to any success next year. Archie obviously not as in tune with recruits or portal as incoming coaches will be. They may be able to grab some solid decommits because of coaching changes and some solid transfers because of previous relationships..
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I do hope TJ is able to stay on, I just love seeing him around the team
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

AMEN !
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I only want to see 1 former rhody player max on the coaching staff.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The salary pool for 3 Assistant coaches AND 3 staff members is $765K. If Ostrom comes to URI at the $380K he is getting at IU. that is almost half the entire salary pool.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The salary pool for 3 Assistant coaches AND 3 staff members is $765K. If Ostrom comes to URI at the $380K he is getting at IU. that is almost half the entire salary pool.
Perhaps but the $765k was agreed to by Miller so we can only presume he knows it’s sufficient for a quality staff.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really hope we can get Ostrom just read his profile sounds like a strong recruiter maybe 350-375 k for him ??
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think one year Hurley combined 2 positions to make the $ go further. It's hard to give anyone 300 of the 765 if Miller has a staff of 7.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I’m sure Archie has some assistants lined up. Maybe even before he took the “ official offer Thursday night “.

Do coaches still go to the final four weekend to “ mingle “?
If so I hope Archie goes and talks up the school.
If I recall isn’t that the time Baron set up the game at Duke?
For the first couple years I wouldn’t mind if Rhody played away games against top schools or even neutral places. That’s extra pay games and Rhody could use the money.
Realistically I expect year 3 Rhody could really be rolling, possible sweet 16. First 2 years will definitely have its ups and downs but I expect more ups than downs.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t know for sure, but I feel like Archie might be one of those coaches who doesn’t want to “be bought,” meaning no buy games in that direction.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago Christian had some behind-the-scenes issues at GW - not likely that he comes here.
Really? What happened?
I didn't find anything about Christian having behind the scenes issues at GW. I read their message board and it seems the firing of Christian was a surprise to all. He was just finishing his 3rd year of a 5 year contract. At URI most thought URI would never fire after 3 years because that would get out in the Coach Hiring world and we would have a bad name. So the GW firing surprised and many are faulting the AD - they do not overall have a good impression of her.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
Really? What happened?
I didn't find anything about Christian having behind the scenes issues at GW. I read their message board and it seems the firing of Christian was a surprise to all. He was just finishing his 3rd year of a 5 year contract. At URI most thought URI would never fire after 3 years because that would get out in the Coach Hiring world and we would have a bad name. So the GW firing surprised and many are faulting the AD - they do not overall have a good impression of her.
Seems kind of surprising to me as well , not sure if this potential new hire is going to be an upgrade
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago I’m sure Archie has some assistants lined up. Maybe even before he took the “ official offer Thursday night “.

For the first couple years I wouldn’t mind if Rhody played away games against top schools or even neutral places. That’s extra pay games and Rhody could use the money.
Realistically I expect year 3 Rhody could really be rolling, possible sweet 16. First 2 years will definitely have its ups and downs but I expect more ups than downs.
Rhody could use the money? We just signed a coach for 5 years at $9.5M. Who is paying us?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodysk wrote: 2 years ago I’m sure Archie has some assistants lined up. Maybe even before he took the “ official offer Thursday night “.

Rhody could use the money? We just signed a coach for 5 years at $9.5M. Who is paying us?
I’d take a buy game against any mid to top P6 school next year.

Get our team/program/coach on national tv as much as we can.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

I’d take a buy game against any mid to top P6 school next year.

Get our team/program/coach on national tv as much as we can.
Well sure if a top team wants to play us and pay us. We should take it. Just think with Archie coming in, who wants to pay us? Isn't the whole idea of a buy game is it's an easy win?
1 x
Bball69
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Bball69 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Where is Ostrom now? I wasn’t able to Google it.
Not sure he is coaching and probably still living in Indiana.
Fact. Still in Bloomington, doing NIL work. His wife hates the cold, Bloomington and Dayton were too cold for her, so is seems like that will be an issue should Ostrom be offered a job in Rhode Island (she’s from the south, Alabama or Mississippi). I’d watch for Ostrom to go to Xavier. He was offered a position last year but he turned it down, which looks like a smart move on his part. He’s a strong recruiter, he would be a good fit for Rhody should it materialize.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Maybe Archie and Sean can work a deal for Ostrom? Rhody gets him for 3 years first then he can go to Sean at X. Thinking outside the box 😂 Do any alumni in FL have an extra room available for Ostrom’s wife 1/1 to 3/1 for the next three years? 😳😂
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I think one year Hurley combined 2 positions to make the $ go further. It's hard to give anyone 300 of the 765 if Miller has a staff of 7.
With the $765 are we just talking about the 3 assistant coaches? I see you mentioned a staff of 7? If it is just the assistants who this money is distributed to than Ostrom could get $360k, a second coach $250k and a third coach $155k which would be pretty strong. If it is additional staff included in this money than I agree with you on the distribution of the money allotment.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago I think one year Hurley combined 2 positions to make the $ go further. It's hard to give anyone 300 of the 765 if Miller has a staff of 7.
With the $765 are we just talking about the 3 assistant coaches? I see you mentioned a staff of 7? If it is just the assistants who this money is distributed to than Ostrom could get $360k, a second coach $250k and a third coach $155k which would be pretty strong. If it is additional staff included in this money than I agree with you on the distribution of the money allotment.
The $765 includes support staff as well.

Director of basketball operations, video coordinator, etc etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Those positions generally pay peanuts. But the number is all in. Most likely you have a Tier A, B and C coach on staff and pay them accordingly. That is still a healthy budget to build an A10 staff. I hope we have someone with regional ties (NY/NE).
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Wasn't Howard a main recruiter with Villanova?

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Special Assistant to the Head Coach Ryan McCloskey and Video Coordinator Sydney Armand. Probably not a great sign about TJ being retained with him seemingly not present at the press conference
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

While I love TJ and would have liked to have him stay, I’m sure Archie has his own ideas on who to hire.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Wasn't Howard a main recruiter with Villanova?

He was. He was at Villanova for 5 years and both national championship teams. If he has any interest in grabbing an assistant job, I would have no problem with a guy that was around Jay Wright.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

Those positions generally pay peanuts. But the number is all in. Most likely you have a Tier A, B and C coach on staff and pay them accordingly. That is still a healthy budget to build an A10 staff. I hope we have someone with regional ties (NY/NE).
Absolutely. I have to think the $765k is such a specific number that it was written into the contract with a desired staff in mind. Archie doesn't strike me as a "figure it out as we go" type guy. He strikes me as incredibly prepared and professional.

Whatever he needs to be successful from a staff perspective, I assume was built into that number.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago While I love TJ and would have liked to have him stay, I’m sure Archie has his own ideas on who to hire.
If TJ isn’t retained, I think he will benefit in the long run by a change of perspective in another part of the country. I think he will become a better coach for it. And, based on the loyalty TJ has shown to the school and the program, it would not surprise me if Thorr and coach Miller help him find a good landing spot to grow as a coach. Just my gut feeling of the type of people Thorr and coach Miller are.

If that’s the case, thank you for your commitment to Rhody TJ and I hope you make it back here eventually.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m starting my TJ to UConn (in one of those non-assistant jobs) campaign. It all depends on where he and his family consider home now. Dave did him wrong in moving him to an assistant spot on a weak staff too early. Dan brought him in as the Director of Player Development, and that was the perfect role to get back in the game at this level. Then, two years later, he’s an assistant along with another guy doing it for the first time.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago While I love TJ and would have liked to have him stay, I’m sure Archie has his own ideas on who to hire.
If TJ isn’t retained, I think he will benefit in the long run by a change of perspective in another part of the country. I think he will become a better coach for it. And, based on the loyalty TJ has shown to the school and the program, it would not surprise me if Thorr and coach Miller help him find a good landing spot to grow as a coach. Just my gut feeling of the type of people Thorr and coach Miller are.

If that’s the case, thank you for your commitment to Rhody TJ and I hope you make it back here eventually.
I agree he needs to go out and get some experience. I certainly hope Thorr and Coach Miller help him land a job. That guy gave his blood for us.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d bet even money he ends up in Storrs CT
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

I’d bet even money he ends up in Storrs CT
Be a great landing spot for TJ
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago I’m starting my TJ to UConn (in one of those non-assistant jobs) campaign. It all depends on where he and his family consider home now. Dave did him wrong in moving him to an assistant spot on a weak staff too early. Dan brought him in as the Director of Player Development, and that was the perfect role to get back in the game at this level. Then, two years later, he’s an assistant along with another guy doing it for the first time.
Great points. I was excited for TJ when it was announced and never really considered the points you brought up.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

ace wrote: 2 years ago I’m starting my TJ to UConn (in one of those non-assistant jobs) campaign. It all depends on where he and his family consider home now. Dave did him wrong in moving him to an assistant spot on a weak staff too early. Dan brought him in as the Director of Player Development, and that was the perfect role to get back in the game at this level. Then, two years later, he’s an assistant along with another guy doing it for the first time.
Great points. I was excited for TJ when it was announced and never really considered the points you brought up.
Great point and one of Coach Cox's biggest mistakes was the construction of his staff. This lead to a poor construction of roster. Two guys who had no right being assistants thrown together. Austin and TJ have the potential to be great one day and I'm sure they worked their tails off these last few seasons but how in the world did Coach Cox expect them to land players on the trail? Ace do you think it would be better for T.J. to go High Major and fill a non-assistant job or go the third assistant route at a low-major for his development? I'm sure Dan and Archie might be able to assist him going the latter path.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

UConn?! UConn?! Oh, for crying out loud! Not TJ too! As I stomp off pouting, then come back - okay, okay. Whatever is best for TJ and his family 😖 😁
0 x
Knoliveira70
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Knoliveira70 »

Best choice is Carlton Silk Owens. All-time leading scorer for last 34 years, of those years. 20 years of coaching experience (Texas, Nebraska, Kennesaw, to name a few), Scholar of the game, fan favorite! Silk deserves a spot on the staff all day!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

The staff directory currently lists Coach Miller, and then Ryan Mccloseky (Special Assistant) and Sydney Armand (Video). We know that he will hire 3 full time assistant coaches, but worth keeping an eye on the support staff and their roles.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Knoliveira70 wrote: 2 years ago Best choice is Carlton Silk Owens. All-time leading scorer for last 34 years, of those years. 20 years of coaching experience (Texas, Nebraska, Kennesaw, to name a few), Scholar of the game, fan favorite! Silk deserves a spot on the staff all day!
I haven’t followed Silk’s coaching career so, I can’t give an educated opinion. But, if coach and Silk get to meet and come to an agreement, then I’m good with it too. Heck yea!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My desire is that Archie hires the best staff that he possibly can, regardless of where they played. If it has any Rhody alums, that would be an added bonus.
5 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago My desire is that Archie hires the best staff that he possibly can, regardless of where they played. If it has any Rhody alums, that would be an added bonus.
I would agree 100%. At the end of the day, coach needs to feel comfortable with whoever he hires. If he already has a relationship and feels comfortable with someone who is an alum, awesome. If not, that's ok too.
1 x