Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Throw me a few more dollars and I'm in.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They have a nice chunk of money to offer the next guy. Johnson was the big name who needed a way back in- no need to do that again, just get someone who can gameplan the hell out of a matchup and evaluate/develop players. Those guys exist at all levels, find him.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ace wrote: 1 month ago a lawyer drafted that tweet
No lawyer that I know writes like that. He should just remain silent or announce his departure. Airing this on twitter is BS.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ace wrote: 1 month ago They have a nice chunk of money to offer the next guy. Johnson was the big name who needed a way back in- no need to do that again, just get someone who can gameplan the hell out of a matchup and evaluate/develop players. Those guys exist at all levels, find him.
Now that’s a positive post. Much appreciated, Ace, because I can avoid Rhody Rehab for another day.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago
No lawyer that I know writes like that. He should just remain silent or announce his departure. Airing this on twitter is BS.
I like that he’s not running from it and he’s facing the music so to speak.

Not pulling any shady deals behind the scenes and having this be a shocker.
1 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 month ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 month ago
I like that he’s not running from it and he’s facing the music so to speak.

Not pulling any shady deals behind the scenes and having this be a shocker.
I disagree. He was outed by Hoyas and now he is posting on Twitter as a response. Cooley kind of Shady stuff.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Has anything gone right since we lost Dan - program needs some good news for a change
1 x
Clapton is God
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well it looks like Archie will have to recruit an assistant coach along with players.

Maybe he can find an assistant who can bring a player or 2 with him.

Do unto others what they do to you.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We lost Murphy to Creighton. I would say that was a worse loss than this. It's not like he brought in world beaters. See ya
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago We lost Murphy to Creighton. I would say that was a worse loss than this. It's not like he brought in world beaters. See ya
Actually, we lost Murphy to BC.
We also lost Luke Murray to Xavier and ARD to Clemson.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, losing good assistants always has and always will be the norm for URI. I'll take it over the alternative which is a staff nobody else wants.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago
damram wrote: 1 month ago From what I saw last year, I would not want any players or coaches from our team if I was looking for help. I am sure they work hard but it is a win - loss business.
Kenny is known to be one of the top recruiters and top assistants in the country. He'll do much better at a school who has the money to get highly rated players.
well, so wouldn't you?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
Joe95 wrote: 1 month ago Georgetown Twitter confirming Kenny to the Hoyas. Archie’s road to rebuild this squad just became even more difficult, and my enthusiasm for this team is continuing to dwindle
Look at the bright side. We are presently at the point where we cannot possibly get much worse with the loss of any player or coach.
roger that
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 month ago

Kenny is known to be one of the top recruiters and top assistants in the country. He'll do much better at a school who has the money to get highly rated players.
From the results on the court in two seasons, it doesn't appear that he attracted a lot of talent to Kingston.
Who were Kenny Johnson’s Top 3 Recruits here?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago By the way, I don't want to hear any excuses for Archie... This is his team. This is his staff. He recruited a terrible team back-to-back years. He's now about to lose the one player that looked like a potential game-changer. He's going to lose the one assistant who can bring in decent talent... We should all give him a chance to build a strong roster this year, but if he doesn't, I'd rather have Cox with a lower salary and put all the $ Archie is making into our NIL. We hired Archie to take this program to new heights. Is it easy? Nope. But other teams are doing well. Other teams that are neck and neck with us have had MUCH better seasons.

Archie has been a disaster so far. We are at rock bottom, everyone. ..
Cheers?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago He ain't gone yet at least...

KJ exemplifying the same effort our players showed on D this past season.
I can't decide if it's hilarious, or just lame....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Makes a lot of sense , going to get a huge raise and be in the P6 !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Makes a lot of sense , going to get a huge raise and be in the P6 !
P5 next year, no more PAC 12.

Big 10
Big 12
ACC
SEC
Big East
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago He ain't gone yet at least...

KJ exemplifying the same effort our players showed on D this past season.
Yeah not a fan of this tweet , I wouldn’t say anything here just leave it be your going to get a double raise easily
Cooley makes 6M then Kenny can get about 750 k I would think
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thinking “no formal agreement” means the deal is done and only the lawyers can screw it up!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

By the way, isn’t he still under contract with URI?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 month ago By the way, I don't want to hear any excuses for Archie... This is his team. This is his staff. He recruited a terrible team back-to-back years. He's now about to lose the one player that looked like a potential game-changer. He's going to lose the one assistant who can bring in decent talent... We should all give him a chance to build a strong roster this year, but if he doesn't, I'd rather have Cox with a lower salary and put all the $ Archie is making into our NIL. We hired Archie to take this program to new heights. Is it easy? Nope. But other teams are doing well. Other teams that are neck and neck with us have had MUCH better seasons.

Archie has been a disaster so far. We are at rock bottom, everyone. ..
no we're not. rock bottom indicates a stop and change in direction. currently, we're still falling.
1 x
:lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 1 month ago By the way, isn’t he still under contract with URI?
Archie's two year contract anniversary was March 17th (a $500,000 annual raise just went into effect for his remaining three years). It was several weeks later that he assembled his staff announcing them on April 6th, 2022. I think assistant coaches are typically on one year agreements so they might have a few more weeks left on their contracts.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Archie's two year contract anniversary was March 17th (a $500,000 annual raise just went into effect for his remaining three years). It was several weeks later that he assembled his staff. I think assistant coaches are typically on one year agreements so they might have several weeks left on their contracts.
imagine getting a half mil raise for the overall 23-24 performance?

fucking wild.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Assistant contracts expire on June 30th.

The contracts are year to year.

June 30th is the end of URI's fiscal year, being a state U.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Archie's two year contract anniversary was March 17th (a $500,000 annual raise just went into effect for his remaining three years). It was several weeks later that he assembled his staff announcing them on April 6th, 2022. I think assistant coaches are typically on one year agreements so they might have a few more weeks left on their contracts.
If he's still under contract, he should still be doing his job for URI. Yet, all I see on twitter is that he's recently following Georgetown recruits. Do you think he's talking to portalers trying to convince them to come to URI? I doubt it. Even though it hasn't been 'formally' announced, it seems he's already working for Georgetown. And we're still paying him?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Being a state school is a pain in the ass when it comes to the asst contracts.

Even when we hire a replacement the new hire isnt technically employed here until July 1st.

The new hire can work here before then, just he's not under contract until then.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 month ago
Archie's two year contract anniversary was March 17th (a $500,000 annual raise just went into effect for his remaining three years). It was several weeks later that he assembled his staff. I think assistant coaches are typically on one year agreements so they might have several weeks left on their contracts.

fucking wild.
It was however written into the original contract back in 2022 not knowing how things would progress.

The local sensationalist internet media outlet has already done one of its UNNAMED bits on it to stir the pot:

URI Basketball Coach Is Getting a Big Raise - Compensation Jumps to $2M+ a Year
https://www.golocalprov.com/business/ur ... -2m-a-year
Last edited by RF1 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

fucking wild.
It was however written into the original contact back in 2022 not knowing how things would progress.

The local sensationalist internet media outlet has already done one of its UNNAMED bits on it to stir the pot:

i understand how these things are written. that fact of the matter is the leader of our dumpster fire is getting a $500k bump and the program is actively looking for handouts from the already paying customer to feed the roster.

fucking wild, indeed.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

fucking wild.
It was however written into the original contact back in 2022 not knowing how things would progress.

i understand how these things are written. that fact of the matter is the leader of our dumpster fire is getting a $500k bump and the program is actively looking for handouts from the already paying customer to feed the roster.

fucking wild, indeed.
Kinda like RIDOT Director getting a raise.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Being a state school is a pain in the ass when it comes to the asst contracts.

Even when we hire a replacement the new hire isnt technically employed here until July 1st.

The new hire can work here before then, just he's not under contract until then.
78, Are you saying that if we wanted to write a contract that ended other than June 30, we could not find a way to do it?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Correct.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If he's still under contract, he should still be doing his job for URI. Yet, all I see on twitter is that he's recently following Georgetown recruits. Do you think he's talking to portalers trying to convince them to come to URI? I doubt it. Even though it hasn't been 'formally' announced, it seems he's already working for Georgetown. And we're still paying him?
Could not agree more- Maybe his tweet is a legal cover for his doing what he is doing but has "no formal agreement", therefore he is not violating some clause in the contract? In any event, all the potential transfers and Ben were done on Rhody's dime to Georgetown's benefit. Life in College Basketball!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month agoCorrect.
Oy Veh!!!!!!!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, we will be paying Kenny to recruit players to Georgetown (we already are) until June 30th? In the meantime, we are down one recruiter unless we can find someone to do the same here?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 month ago

Could not agree more- Maybe his tweet is a legal cover for his doing what he is doing but has "no formal agreement", therefore he is not violating some clause in the contract? In any event, all the potential transfers and Ben were done on Rhody's dime to Georgetown's benefit. Life in College Basketball!!
I am curious as to whether or not KJ has followed any more GT recruits since his tweet ?

Perhaps someone told KJ to cool it with the GT recruits since he is a Rhody employee and until it’s official with GT?

I would hope that is the case. After all, if I am currently employed and paid by Hasbro but I am negotiating a new position at Mattel and tweeting favorably about their toys that Hasbro would have a problem with me doing that.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago So, we will be paying Kenny to recruit players to Georgetown (we already are) until June 30th? In the meantime, we are down one recruiter unless we can find someone to do the same here?
Perhaps we already have his replacement verbally lined up and they are recruiting for us on their present employer's dime. Ethics mean little in college sports.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 month ago So, we will be paying Kenny to recruit players to Georgetown (we already are) until June 30th? In the meantime, we are down one recruiter unless we can find someone to do the same here?
His contract ends once he accepts the position at Georgetown or if he leaves prior.
My thinking is that Cunningham is probably taking over his recruiting duties for now until a new assistant is hired.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Perhaps we already have his replacement verbally lined up and they are recruiting for us on their present employer's dime. Ethics mean little in college sports.
If so, his name hasn't leaked like Kenny's did. Advantage Georgetown.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
His contract ends once he accepts the position at Georgetown or if leaves prior.
My thinking is that Cunningham is probably taking over his recruiting duties for now until a new assistant is hired.
In the meantime, he's contacting Georgetown recruits while we're paying him until he officially accepts?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago
His contract ends once he accepts the position at Georgetown or if leaves prior.
In the meantime, he's contacting Georgetown recruits while we're paying him until he officially accepts?
Not sure if all the powers to be signed off on KJ's hiring or agreed on a compensation package.

He may be following the recruits but doubt there is actual communication between them on Georgetown's behalf.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It happens all the time. Sutton was in Kingston for weeks while Pitt was paying him.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

fucking wild.

fucking wild, indeed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

Any update on Kenny Johnson going to g’town? Rhody needs that situation resolved, especially if we need to hire another recruiter in his place
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 month ago

fucking wild, indeed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if things fail it will be due to the paying customer not paying up enough
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodyram99 wrote: 1 month ago Any update on Kenny Johnson going to g’town? Rhody needs that situation resolved, especially if we need to hire another recruiter in his place
It is quiet on the KJ front, 99.

I checked out the Georgetown board again yesterday to gauge chatter and there was nothing.

I agree with you…I’d also like to see it resolved quickly so we can settle on a replacement and finish upgrading the roster.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is the latest I saw on the Georgetown situation today. Either way, I assume Archie has already started the process of looking in to replacements if needed.

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago This is the latest I saw on the Georgetown situation today. Either way, I assume Archie has already started the process of looking in to replacements if needed.

Thanks for the post, Adam.

Sounds like Cooley will piss off a powerbroker or two whatever he decides.

Any thoughts from KB on a potential replacement or, on where we should look for one or, on preferred higherarchy of traits (experience, prep connections, AAU connections geographic focus, etc) ?

Is it possible some names resurface from when Archie was hired ?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 1 month ago This is the latest I saw on the Georgetown situation today. Either way, I assume Archie has already started the process of looking in to replacements if needed.

Thanks for the post, Adam.

Sounds like Cooley will piss off a powerbroker or two whatever he decides.

Any thoughts from KB on a potential replacement or, on where we should look for one or, on preferred higherarchy of traits (experience, prep connections, AAU connections geographic focus, etc) ?

Is it possible some names resurface from when Archie was hired ?
How about we just get PM back into the fold?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We can’t pay him enough?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938