Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, assistants have other duties, but the #1 job of an assistant is ALWAYS recruiting. As has been said many times, recruiting is the life blood of college basketball.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Someone here mentioned that we should hire the coach at Brewster or some other New England prep school. Well, the Bonnies just did.

Smart move by Bona. They are utilizing all the golf clubs in their recruiting bag. Props to them.

Thanks for posting the news, 78.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago
adam914 wrote: 11 months ago Wasn't really sure where to put this, but it looks like we have a new Director of Basketball Performance. At Holy Cross previously.

I bet you he gets more recruits than Austin Carroll
You sure have it in for Austin Carroll.
So why doesn't Archie Miller see what you see? Why doesn't he move on the position and fix this situation that concerns you?
Assistant Coaches at URI operate on 1 year contracts that I believe expire in June. Send Archie a note?
Idk I just feel like he’s lost every recruiting battle he’s been in since Cox was here, Bassy was his last recruit, as Kingston Lane said he might have more responsibilities during the year versus the offseason, but there’s so much talent on the plate in New England that we leave for granted since that is Austin’s region I feel like we can do better and that’s why I brought up hiring Jason Smith as an assistant
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Yes, assistants have other duties, but the #1 job of an assistant is ALWAYS recruiting. As has been said many times, recruiting is the life blood of college basketball.
While I agree, and admittedly have no idea if this is the case, there’s something to be said about letting your best assistant at recruiting recruit more, and have the assistant who’s worse at it, recruit less.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago

I bet you he gets more recruits than Austin Carroll
You sure have it in for Austin Carroll.
So why doesn't Archie Miller see what you see? Why doesn't he move on the position and fix this situation that concerns you?
Assistant Coaches at URI operate on 1 year contracts that I believe expire in June. Send Archie a note?
Idk I just feel like he’s lost every recruiting battle he’s been in since Cox was here, Bassy was his last recruit, as Kingston Lane said he might have more responsibilities during the year versus the offseason, but there’s so much talent on the plate in New England that we leave for granted since that is Austin’s region I feel like we can do better and that’s why I brought up hiring Jason Smith as an assistant
Don't be so negative, Carroll just landed us a STUD preferred walk on!

Seriously though, what is the case for keeping Carroll on staff? This a bottom line business and URI is shelling out big bucks for this staff, no room for dead weight.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Yes, assistants have other duties, but the #1 job of an assistant is ALWAYS recruiting. As has been said many times, recruiting is the life blood of college basketball.
While I agree, and admittedly have no idea if this is the case, there’s something to be said about letting your best assistant at recruiting recruit more, and have the assistant who’s worse at it, recruit less.
One is recruiting the DMV(for the most part) while the other is recruiting New England. One is obviously a LOT better at it than the other. The DMV is a hotbed for talent, but so are New England prep schools.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Former Rhody coach.

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Former Grad assistant ANDREW CHRABASCZ (had to copy his name from our website to ensure proper spelling!) will be hired at Army as an assistant. Their new head coach, Kevin Kuwik is a former Butler assistant and DOBO. Although his time didn't cross with Andrew, Andrew is a Butler grad.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I wonder if Mazzulla will get a job with mazzulla. The Celtic are losing all assistant coaches...
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Since the end of the season:
  • Grad Assistant Justin Mazzulla went to Utah Jazz as an Assistant Coach and Video Coordinator
  • Grad Assistant Andrew Chrabascz went to Army as Assistant Coach
  • Malik Martin went to UCONN as a Grad Assistant
Time to announce replacement hires soon?
Maybe get a Rhody Grad? Need a good big man Grad Assistant with so many new faces.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 9 months ago Since the end of the season:
  • Grad Assistant Justin Mazzulla went to Utah Jazz as an Assistant Coach and Video Coordinator
Maybe get a Rhody Grad? Need a good big man Grad Assistant with so many new faces.
Kevin McHale? Just get him in for a week. pay him a full year assistant coach salary for it, and it'll be beyond worth it.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Is this some existential Albert Camus novel. Are the rats all leaving the ship?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 9 months ago Is this some existential Albert Camus novel. Are the rats all leaving the ship?
No. We had 2 grad assistants. Their positions are only for 1 year. It's a tribute to the team that both guys landed solid Assistant Coaching Jobs upon completion of their Grad Assistantships. Good for them.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago
ramster wrote: 9 months ago Since the end of the season:
Kevin McHale? Just get him in for a week. pay him a full year assistant coach salary for it, and it'll be beyond worth it.
I think one KB contributor over the years could end up being very happy.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Grad assistants are always coming and going at every school. Anyone implying otherwise knows little about college hoops.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 9 months ago Grad assistants are always coming and going at every school. Anyone implying otherwise knows little about college hoops.
It was a good thing they moved up to Assistant Coaching slots for Utah Jazz and for Army. Not bad at all and a credit to URI, this coaching staff and especially to the Grad Assistants themselves.

It's also a big positive and selling point for bringing in promising new Grad Assistants. Wait and see.
4 x
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

My son was at Archie's bball camp today which was an amazing time. Archie, all his assistants, and most of the players were on hand and put on a great event! Anyway, old friend Gil Biruta was on hand and Archie announced he will be joining the team as a grad assistant as Gil is interested in learning the ropes to be a future coach one day.... I think it's a solid pickup so he can work with our bigs....
9 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

dave11to28 wrote: 8 months ago My son was at Archie's bball camp today which was an amazing time. Archie, all his assistants, and most of the players were on hand and put on a great event! Anyway, old friend Gil Biruta was on hand and Archie announced he will be joining the team as a grad assistant as Gil is interested in learning the ropes to be a future coach one day.... I think it's a solid pickup so he can work with our bigs....
Thanks for sharing, I like.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

dave11to28 wrote: 8 months ago My son was at Archie's bball camp today which was an amazing time. Archie, all his assistants, and most of the players were on hand and put on a great event! Anyway, old friend Gil Biruta was on hand and Archie announced he will be joining the team as a grad assistant as Gil is interested in learning the ropes to be a future coach one day.... I think it's a solid pickup so he can work with our bigs....
That's what I was hinting at above
"I think one KB contributor over the years could end up being very happy."

I'm thinking Ace will be happy about this new Grad Assistant.

Love that Archie opted for a past player who played hard, had solid fundamentals and was well respected.
5 x
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

Yes he even gave a nice introduction re gil and mentioned he was a good player for hurley's teams in the early years. Arch is a class guy. Love him.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

dave11to28 wrote: 8 months ago Yes he even gave a nice introduction re gil and mentioned he was a good player for hurley's teams in the early years. Arch is a class guy. Love him.
Gil is a great addition. Perfect for our big men development.
I heard last week he was possibly coming on board and was excited, now even more excited that it's been announced.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

My nephew went as well and Gil was running a station/segment on post moves. He’s got a new baby and I’m pretty sure his wife/gf is a Rhode Islander. Was playing somewhere in Eastern Europe. He’s a great dude and I love the addition.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome Gil !! Glad to have him !!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great to have a fellow Lithuanian on the staff!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It doesn't say anything about the new assistants being allowed to recruit. Can all 5 assistants recruit? Or is that staying at 3?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago
It doesn't say anything about the new assistants being allowed to recruit. Can all 5 assistants recruit? Or is that staying at 3?
They cannot recruit off campus. Only 3 can
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 8 months ago
So, they have to designate which 3? If Archie feels like Cunningham could recruit better than Carroll, he could do that?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

So, they have to designate which 3? If Archie feels like Cunningham could recruit better than Carroll, he could do that?
I suppose in theory, yes. But without knowing any of the details, that’s likely something written into their contracts. Can’t imagine the NCAA would let a staff just randomly switch back and forth monthly on which of the 3 coaches are recruiting.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

From how I read the release, the new assistants can help more at practices.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The new additions are the result of the recent NCAA changes to program staff sizes:

NCAA to increase number of coaches in multiple sports
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ple-sports

The changes will allow Division I baseball, softball and ice hockey teams to have four full-time coaches instead of three. Basketball coaching staffs can increase by two, though the two additional coaches will not be permitted to recruit off-campus.

In football, the council recommended redefining the graduate assistant positions and capping the number of years an individual can serve in the role at three.

I wonder how this works with the URI's men's basketball budget. Miller was assigned a staff pool salary number. Has it been increased to accommodate a larger staff?
Last edited by RF1 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 8 months ago The new additions are the result of the recent NCAA changes to program staff sizes:

NCAA to increase number of coaches in multiple sports
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ple-sports

The changes will allow Division I baseball, softball and ice hockey teams to have four full-time coaches instead of three. Basketball coaching staffs can increase by two, though the two additional coaches will not be permitted to recruit off-campus.

In football, the council recommended redefining the graduate assistant positions and capping the number of years an individual can serve in the role at three.

I wonder how this works with the URI's men's basketball budget. Miller was assigned a staff pool number. Has it been increased to accommodate a larger staff?
Doubtful. Both were already working for the team. I’d like to think of this as more of a promotion, maybe a compensation bump on the margins

Gives a staff the ability to promote and retain talent just like we did. Otherwise you’d eventually lose good talent early if there’s not a natural next step (like this) to promote and develop them
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I suppose in theory, yes. But without knowing any of the details, that’s likely something written into their contracts. Can’t imagine the NCAA would let a staff just randomly switch back and forth monthly on which of the 3 coaches are recruiting.
Yes, I don't mean monthly. I mean for the basketball calendar year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Announcement of the 2 new grad assistants.

2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Announcement of the 2 new grad assistants.

Happy to have Biruta and his family home in RI!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

[/quote
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 8 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 8 months ago Announcement of the 2 new grad assistants.

Happy to have Biruta and his family home in RI!
Even more happy for him to have the opportunity to work with our inexperienced bigs.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My recollection is that in the not so distant past URI changed one of their off-campus recruiters during the year. It required prior documentation at the institution. That's all.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
So essentially if he leaves he'll have served half his penalty here and will serve the other half at Georgetown
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe that explains why the transfers that were brought in for this past season by and large sucked.

If he stays not being able to recruit during those 2 periods this year wont help either.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Maybe that explains why the transfers that were brought in for this past season by and large sucked.

If he stays not being able to recruit during those 2 periods this year wont help either.
The only thing he couldn’t do was go to the spring/summer live events to watch high schoolers.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 month ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
So essentially if he leaves he'll have served half his penalty here and will serve the other half at Georgetown
Does this ban just include recruiting high school kids , what about people in the transfer portal ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kenny is now following several Georgetown recruits and '24 commits. Just waiting for the announcement now.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie I'm sure knows he's gone, and with him Hammond and Farrell.

With us openly recruiting PG's, it's now obviousl to me also.

Maybe this will work out for us in the long run, in the short run not so much.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie I'm sure knows he's gone, and with him Hammond and Farrell.

This would make me incredibly sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Hammond play. Here's hoping the rumors are false or at the very least Hammond comes here anyway.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hard to recruit incoming frosh now !
1 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 month ago Archie I'm sure knows he's gone, and with him Hammond and Farrell.

Sad but unfortunately I think will be the case too. The portal still has a very long ways to go and get at least we will look different next year. There’s a long way to gooo
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Second shoe, incoming.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is like watching WWE, and they are building up to the point of the match where Lesner delivers the F5.
0 x