Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by adam914 »

I know it's tough to believe because we exist in a constant state of doom on here, but it's also possible for it to get better!
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago I know it's tough to believe because we exist in a constant state of doom on here, but it's also possible for it to get better!
May I offer that Rhody Rehab remains open.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

section(105) wrote: 3 weeks ago
adam914 wrote: 3 weeks ago I know it's tough to believe because we exist in a constant state of doom on here, but it's also possible for it to get better!
May I offer that Rhody Rehab remains open.
Haha yes! It's very important work being done over there at Rhody Rehab!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's only been six years. Constant? Depends on your timeframe.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago
4Diffs wrote: 3 weeks ago Different world than it used to be and it lessens the importance of having an assistant coach that is a great recruiter. I thought that is fairly obvious by the result of the first two classes he helped bring in. Were any of them, other than the kid from GW who did not work out, his recruits or anything remotely special? Good for Cooley to bring him home to his local recruiting routes, but I fail to see how this is any crippling blow for a program that is as the bottom of the A10. Like can it get worse? Jeez I hope not.

Bur I will say this, what the f is up with the timing? Why was this dragged out for three weeks? There was no need for that. it looks like the higher ups at Georgetown had to be convinced to sign off on this hire and it took some time. Not a good sign for Mr. Johnson, I would not go someplace that the person hiring me had to plead for 3 weeks to upper management to sign on to.
He brought our 2 best players, House and Green here last year. And he got our only 2 high school recruits coming this year. It can get worse.
So let's call the all the assistant coaches out. Who has gotten which recruits:

Austin Carroll
Christen Cunningham
Kenny Johnson
Ben Sander
Duane Woodward
Kenny Johnson: Jaden House, David Green, Zek Montgomery, Josaphat Bilau, Tyson Brown, Connor Dubsky, Ben Hammond, Tyonne Farrell

Duane Woodward: Cam Estevez, Brandon Weston, Luis Kortwright, Jeremy Foumena, Rory Stewart

Austin Carroll: David Fuchs

Christen Cunningham: Always Wright
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Lots of unemployed assistants out there polishing their resumes. Does Archie need a recruiter or a bench coach?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I would be very concern with Green and House leaving with KJ
0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

We can still get better. If one door closes another will open. Deep breaths.
4 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

we can ONLY get better. There is no room to get worse
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rjv wrote: 3 weeks ago we can ONLY get better. There is no room to get worse
Rjv, I’ve gotten to the point where I am concerned that they (the whole team) can all leave but then…I am also concerned they won’t. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 weeks ago Lots of unemployed assistants out there polishing their resumes. Does Archie need a recruiter or a bench coach?
I would think mostly a recruiter first and foremost and hopefully he’s a good bench coach as well
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rjv wrote: 3 weeks ago I would be very concern with Green and House leaving with KJ
Kenny is going to bring in better recruits than Green and House. Im not worried about that.. If the new rumor is true we may not even be losing Kenny. We'll see
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gonna be really funny when Kenny doesn’t go and all these “sources” got it wrong.

Vault had Tre Mitchell signed sealed and delivered to Rhody too.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Not expecting them to announce KJ going to Georgetown until tomorrow at the earliest.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, they've already said they will announce after the Final 4. I don't think it's going to be at midnight tonight..... So, maybe tomorrow.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Btw I confirmed that Tre was never considering URI after I retweeted Vault’s tweet that he was definitely coming to URI and Tre’s step dad called me and blasted me that it would never happen.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m predicting Kenny to Gtown can I get odds to bet that ?
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago . of the last couple days Ben has liked or reposted anything that has to do with him coming here.

He's liked tweets that say stuff like "can't wait to see you play at Rhody!"

That and how on every broadcast they talked about his deep connection with Archie Miller.
I still think there's a good chance he comes here.
Heard Uri is hot on trail of David Coit from Northern Illinois if that means anything. Maybe to protect themselves if Hammond leaves. Averaged 20 points a game so would definitely be a nice piece pick up.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

These days a one year transfer is tantamount to a budding freshman.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

sbrand wrote: 3 weeks ago Btw I confirmed that Tre was never considering URI after I retweeted Vault’s tweet that he was definitely coming to URI and Tre’s step dad called me and blasted me that it would never happen.
The question I have is why would his father call you instead of (or in addition to?) Rhody Vault? You simply retweeted it. You didn't actually start the rumor, so why would he blast you about it? I don't doubt that it happened, just that it seems directed to the wrong person.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 weeks ago
sbrand wrote: 3 weeks ago Btw I confirmed that Tre was never considering URI after I retweeted Vault’s tweet that he was definitely coming to URI and Tre’s step dad called me and blasted me that it would never happen.
The question I have is why would his father call you instead of (or in addition to?) Rhody Vault? You simply retweeted it. You didn't actually start the rumor, so why would he blast you about it? I don't doubt that it happened, just that it seems directed to the wrong person.
You're asking people to try and get inside the mind of Tony Bergeron
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I know right. He would have tried to get Tre to Bryant. I didn’t believe him until I saw an email that made the case indisputable.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

the pendulum doesn't swing the other way until we win games. until then, the bottom continues to get deeper.
0 x
:lol:
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Oh he blasted RV through email. He wanted me to clean up the retweet and put the rumor to bed. It was an entertaining convo to say the least.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 2 weeks ago Oh he blasted RV through email. He wanted me to clean up the retweet and put the rumor to bed. It was an entertaining convo to say the least.
Scott,
I recall Rhody Vault calling it the Vault Guarantee that Tre Mitchell was coming to URI. Where do you think he got such blatantly false info?
Not surprisingly this could not have sat well with the URI Coaching Staff and Administration, especially so early in the transition to the Miller regime, right?
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I remember he put faith in one small time player on Twitter who disappeared into the sunset. I need to go back in my archives. I am sure someone here remembers the guy spreading the fake news.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

He brought our 2 best players, House and Green here last year. And he got our only 2 high school recruits coming this year. It can get worse.

Austin Carroll
Christen Cunningham
Kenny Johnson
Ben Sander
Duane Woodward
Kenny Johnson: Jaden House, David Green, Zek Montgomery, Josaphat Bilau, Tyson Brown, Connor Dubsky, Ben Hammond, Tyonne Farrell

Duane Woodward: Cam Estevez, Brandon Weston, Luis Kortwright, Jeremy Foumena, Rory Stewart

Are you really doling this? Who cares if he brought in our best players. The team was terrible and those players are not anything special. If they were they would have won more then 12 games. Kind of like being the tallest guy among midgets. Somebody has to be the tallest and somebody has to be the best player on a terrible team. I do not think it is a big loss. You do because he brought in our best players. OK. We will agree to disagree.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 2 weeks ago

Austin Carroll
Christen Cunningham
Kenny Johnson
Ben Sander
Duane Woodward

Are you really doling this? Who cares if he brought in our best players. The team was terrible and those players are not anything special. If they were they would have won more then 12 games. Kind of like being the tallest guy among midgets. Somebody has to be the tallest and somebody has to be the best player on a terrible team. I do not think it is a big loss. You do because he brought in our best players. OK. We will agree to disagree.
Blueram asked a question. I answered it.

Anyway, we'll see who this staff gets. Supposedly we have more money, so we'll see if Duane and Austin will deliver. My guess is that Duane, Austin and Cunningham all move up a seat. Let's see who they get as compared to the guys Kenny got.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sbrand wrote: 2 weeks ago These days a one year transfer is tantamount to a budding freshman.
If tantamount means "better than"...I'm with you
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 3 weeks ago Mason has a pretty good PG Baraka Okojie who just finished his FR year.
He torched us and seems to be slotted in as their starter next year. So much so Polite the veteran PG transferred out. I don't think that is a likely landing spot either if he wanted to go elsewhere.

Anddddd.....Okojie just entered the Portal.
I pray that is a coincidence.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 weeks ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 weeks ago Mason has a pretty good PG Baraka Okojie who just finished his FR year.
He torched us and seems to be slotted in as their starter next year. So much so Polite the veteran PG transferred out. I don't think that is a likely landing spot either if he wanted to go elsewhere.

If not, maybe we can engineer a trade
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And...

Kenny is still here!

When is he leaving guys? How many bags has he been packin?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PRT, I just made a quick visit to the Hoya fan board. All quiet over there. Nothing new regarding KJ since yesterday.

I will go with what Stevey posted yesterday regarding the latest rumor. Solid intel.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago PRT, I just made a quick visit to the Hoya fan board. All quiet over there. Nothing new regarding KJ since yesterday.

I will go with what Stevey posted yesterday regarding the latest rumor.
A guy on twitter who covers them says there will be news by tomorrow night. We'll see.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 weeks ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 weeks ago

If not, maybe we can engineer a trade
Rhody. That is a good idea. Since the players are pros and there is no loyalty anymore,let’s makes trades part of the situation. Think about how many pages that would be on kb. I’m trying to figure out how we work in future draft picks or future considerations.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Anyway, we'll see who this staff gets. Supposedly we have more money, so we'll see if Duane and Austin will deliver. My guess is that Duane, Austin and Cunningham all move up a seat. Let's see who they get as compared to the guys Kenny got.
Do you think Duane, Austin and Cunningham are the best we can do?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great question, McRam.

Just concerning roster construction for now since it is portal season, I really don’t know. But if I go solely by wins and losses results, I would think we could do better. But then, I am not figuring in the NIL impacts when just looking at W/L results. NIL is becoming more important at this time. Maybe that will change somewhat in the next few years if some common sense guidelines are put in place.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago

The reason I assume Cunningham will be promoted is that while Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown, nobody new has been recruiting for us. If you look at some of the guys we've reached out to in the portal, Cunningham is the one following them. That could change, but right now it appears that Cunningham is recruiting.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago

No, it would be a dissapointment if it was, it would be similar to an assistant lineup Cox would put together
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Austin Carroll
Christen Cunningham
Kenny Johnson
Ben Sander
Duane Woodward

Billyboy,
I know this breakdown is for this season’s roster but if I added in both years for Miller and this staff I’d add in Hutchinson, Tchikou and Brayon Freeman - do you know who the lead was for these 3 players? Would there be any more I’m missing? (Not including preferred walk-ons)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 weeks ago

Austin Carroll
Christen Cunningham
Kenny Johnson
Ben Sander
Duane Woodward

Billyboy,
I know this breakdown is for this season’s roster but if I added in both years for Miller and this staff I’d add in Hutchinson, Tchikou and Brayon Freeman - do you know who the lead was for these 3 players? Would there be any more I’m missing? (Not including preferred walk-ons)
Kenny was the lead on all three. People will argue that the results weren't good, and they're right. But Kenny got us 11 players under tough circumstances with URI coming off some bad seasons and with him having finances affecting who he could recruit. Duane got us 5, Austin got us 1 and Christen got us 1. Imagine what he could have got if we were good with no financial restraints, being known as one of the top recruiters in the country? He's probably frustrated as hell not being able to recruit who he wants here because of the current landscape. He's going to kill it at Georgetown.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy,
Kenny was the lead on all three. People will argue that the results weren't good, and they're right. But Kenny got us 11 players under tough circumstances with URI coming off some bad seasons and with him having finances affecting who he could recruit. Duane got us 5, Austin got us 1 and Christen got us 1. Imagine what he could have got if we were good with no financial restraints, being known as one of the top recruiters in the country? He's probably frustrated as hell not being able to recruit who he wants here because of the current landscape. He's going to kill it at Georgetown.
I agree BB losing KJ would be major, but not unsurmountable for our chances in 24-25.
If he moves on, we need to trust that Archie will make a solid hire.
Hopefully a strong recruiter with some immediate connections that can help us.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Billyboy,
I agree BB losing KJ would be major, but not unsurmountable for our chances in 24-25.
If he moves on, we need to trust that Archie will make a solid hire.
Hopefully a strong recruiter with some immediate connections that can help us.
TBD
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Middle of the day on Wednesday April 10th

Kenny still here!

What gives?
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

The A10 better watch out when I fill Kenny’s position as assistant coach 👀👀👀
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW - Whether we're talking Miller, Hurley, Cox, Baron or other programs, I kind of think that assistants probably get too much of the credit for landing recruits. Ultimately, it's the head coach that's making "yes/no" decisions on recruits like 90, 95 percent of the time, and I sincerely doubt a recruit is committing without at least being comfortable with the head coach. I think assistants are probably important from the scouting and initial connection standpoint, but the buck ultimately stops with the top guy. (In hindsight, Hurley's ability as a talent evaluator is probably underrated - He's had missed like every does, but his batting average at UConn, URI and Wagner is pretty high. It's not just a matter of him coaching guys up and getting them to play hard.)
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 weeks ago FWIW - Whether we're talking Miller, Hurley, Cox, Baron or other programs, I kind of think that assistants probably get too much of the credit for landing recruits. Ultimately, it's the head coach that's making "yes/no" decisions on recruits like 90, 95 percent of the time, and I sincerely doubt a recruit is committing without at least being comfortable with the head coach. I think assistants are probably important from the scouting and initial connection standpoint, but the buck ultimately stops with the top guy. (In hindsight, Hurley's ability as a talent evaluator is probably underrated - He's had missed like every does, but his batting average at UConn, URI and Wagner is pretty high. It's not just a matter of him coaching guys up and getting them to play hard.)
Sure, but it's the assistants who are in contact with the recruits and the ones that get the recruits to be interested enough to take visits. Once the recruits are on campus for a visit, then it becomes the head coach's job to close. But without the assistants, there aren't any recruits for the head to coach to close. So, it's a team effort with both the head coach and the assistants having important roles in landing a player.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago The A10 better watch out when I fill Kenny’s position as assistant coach 👀👀👀
One of KB’s own on the staff ?

A first. The ultimate insider.

Wait…maybe 72 was the first ? I miss 72. I got a kick out of some of his posts. Hope he’s okay and comes back.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago The A10 better watch out when I fill Kenny’s position as assistant coach 👀👀👀

Wait…maybe 72 was the first ? I miss 72. I got a kick out of some of his posts. Hope he’s okay and comes back.
Drums I forgot about 72 , where the hell is he ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Drums I forgot about 72 , where the hell is he ?
Teaching Steph Curry how to shoot free throws.
3 x