Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

On assembling a coaching staff:
"The great thing about being out for a year — it's twofold. Everybody goes away. The people who go away, who reach out now — they're probably not part of the equation. The people you’re entrenched with, who have been through hard times with you or good times, who have been on your staff or not — true, true friends — will always be part of the conversation.
"But I’m going to build a staff with 110% accuracy in what I’m trying to hire. Expertise, positive development, guys who are involved with players. Recruiting is everything with what we’re trying to do. But our staff will be built strategically, and I’m going to take my time with it.

"I think when you panic on getting to an area and listening to a lot of people who have interest — this guy, that guy — you have to sift through that and make your decisions based on exactly how you want to add someone. I’ll take my time on it. I have an idea."
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch totally gets it , he is gonna take us places
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago On assembling a coaching staff:
"The great thing about being out for a year — it's twofold. Everybody goes away. The people who go away, who reach out now — they're probably not part of the equation. The people you’re entrenched with, who have been through hard times with you or good times, who have been on your staff or not — true, true friends — will always be part of the conversation.
"But I’m going to build a staff with 110% accuracy in what I’m trying to hire. Expertise, positive development, guys who are involved with players. Recruiting is everything with what we’re trying to do. But our staff will be built strategically, and I’m going to take my time with it.

"I think when you panic on getting to an area and listening to a lot of people who have interest — this guy, that guy — you have to sift through that and make your decisions based on exactly how you want to add someone. I’ll take my time on it. I have an idea."
Perfection.

Give me a coach who trusts himself and his process.

Give me an AD who provides all the support that coach needs without trying to assert control.

My GOD do we have it set up right.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Expect Tom Ostrom to be the top assistant. Coached with Archie at IU and Dayton. Sat out this past year as well.
8 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Expect Tom Ostrom to be the top assistant. Coached with Archie at IU and Dayton. Sat out this past year as well.
Good to see you back Rhody83!

And good news on Ostrom. That would be a great start to the staff.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody83 wrote: 2 years ago Expect Tom Ostrom to be the top assistant. Coached with Archie at IU and Dayton. Sat out this past year as well.
Welcome back 83 !!
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It use to be that coaching vacancies had to be posted before they could be filled. Also, current assistants are still under contract and there may be issues on filling positions until the current assistant is no longer on the payroll. Does anyone know whether Miller can fill the assistant's positions immediately?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The more I listen to coach Miller, the more butterflies I get in my gut! He speaks with such conviction and confidence. How can you not get excited? It’s going to be hard for me to temper my expectations.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed Arch is gonna take us places , let’s enjoy the ride !!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
Was not on Miller's staff at IU. Woodson just hired last year. Former Hoosier alum that was more recently on Izzo's staff at Michigan State for some 10 years. Was previously head coach at IPFW. Seems all experience was in the midwest (Indiana and Michigan) with no northeast connections.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-bask ... -fife/3163
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wasn't under Archie but he's very connected to IU (alum) so I imagine Archie knows him. That said, don't know if the fit is right.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago It use to be that coaching vacancies had to be posted before they could be filled. Also, current assistants are still under contract and there may be issues on filling positions until the current assistant is no longer on the payroll. Does anyone know whether Miller can fill the assistant's positions immediately?
It’s 2022 and this the new University of Rhode Island. I’m pretty sure at this point we can do whatever we want. There are no more rules. We just fired the head coach and hired a new one in less than a week. I don’t think we will be waiting until June to find out about Archie’s staff. Just a hunch on my part.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago It use to be that coaching vacancies had to be posted before they could be filled. Also, current assistants are still under contract and there may be issues on filling positions until the current assistant is no longer on the payroll. Does anyone know whether Miller can fill the assistant's positions immediately?
It’s 2022 and this the new University of Rhode Island. I’m pretty sure at this point we can do whatever we want. There are no more rules. We just fired the head coach and hired a new one in less than a week. I don’t think we will be waiting until June to find out about Archie’s staff. Just a hunch on my part.
But also, Archie's not going to rush it. As he said, it's more important to get it right than to get it done quickly.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He’ll operate on his own timeline as he should but when he wants to add someone they aren’t going to tell him “great, he can start in June.” I just truly do not think that is going to happen.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m still hoping Ostrom is coming.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just think, no more posts about URI is poor. URI can't pay. URI is tied to state guidelines. I LOVE IT!!!!
5 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

How about Ashley Howard. Anyone who worked for Jay Wright is OK in my book.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago How about Ashley Howard. Anyone who worked for Jay Wright is OK in my book.
Good Philly connections, I think.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I wonder how much, if any, of the speed this happened at can be attributed to having our own board of trustees instead of reporting to the state Board of Governors
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago How about Ashley Howard. Anyone who worked for Jay Wright is OK in my book.
Yes, he should be high on the list as I mentioned before.
One of the top recruiters that was on Jay's staff.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
I wonder how much, if any, of the speed this happened at can be attributed to having our own board of trustees instead of reporting to the state Board of Governors
Doesn't hurt that the actual governor introduced our head coach.

We've never had this kind of support and alignment before.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Gov Almond?
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I suspect quite a bit.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago

Gov Almond?
Linc was phenomenal. I don't think we ever had top down alignment that streamlined and cut through a lot of red tape like we have right now.

This isn't a slight at Linc's contributions as much as it is a compliment as to how far we've come.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't know. Give me a gov that funds the school at 30% again. Then we are talking. They talk about education but don't fund what actually counts. Low cost tuition to in state students.
1 x
Bball69
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Bball69 »

Archie left the door open for Ostrom for a long time when transitioning from Dayton to Indiana. Gave Ostrom a chance to get a head coaching position at Dayton or elsewhere. When that didn't materialize, Ostrom went to IU. I know Ostrom has multiple opportunities. Family will play a big factor, but so will his ambition to become a head coach some day.

I'm rooting for Ostrom to land a gig that propels him to a head position ASAP.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
I suspect quite a bit.
I agree, and I'd love to know the actual answer, but I think that's too inside baseball for anyone to actually ask the question of President Parlange or Thorr.

If it did have a lot to do with it:
A. Thank you again President Dooley
B. This could be just the beginning of transformative moves the University can make with limited government interference, which would be absolutely massive for us as an institution, not just an athletic department
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I suspect quite a bit.
I agree, and I'd love to know the actual answer, but I think that's too inside baseball for anyone to actually ask the question of President Parlange or Thorr.

B. This could be just the beginning of transformative moves the University can make with limited government interference, which would be absolutely massive for us as an institution, not just an athletic department
Yes, Dooley set the precedent with the Hurley hire.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I suspect quite a bit.

Here! Here!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I was just reviewing the David Cox 2018 contract in response to questions in another thread. I came across the section about staff pay and it seems the $425K salary pool may not pertain to non assistant coach support staff. The support staff positions and salary are individually addressed which leads me to think they are separate from the salary pool. This may mean that the $765k salary pool for Archie Miller may just be for his three assistant coaches. Will be something to check out when his contract is made public.

From the 2018 David Cox Contract with URI
5.0 Support Staff:
5.1 The Coach shall have the right to select and retain three (3) assistant men's
basketball coaches who shall be paid on the bi-weekly payroll subject to the same payroll
deductions and the same benefits that apply to the University's non-academic administrative
employees. A pool of $425,000.00 (Four Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand and no/100
Dollars) (the "Salary Pool") will be used for the salaries of the assistant coaches. The Coach
shall also have the right to select and retain a director of basketball operations with an annual
salary up to $46,500.00 (Forty-Six Thousand Five Hundred and no/100 Dollars) subject to
the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance
with the personnel policies of the University. The Coach shall also have the right to select
and retain a Director of Player Personnel with an animal salary up to $38,000.00 (Thirty-
Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not
to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the
University. In addition, Coach shall have the right to select and retain a full time graduate
assistant for the men's basketball program in accordance with applicable University policies
and collective bargaining agreement. Any increase in income or salary for the assistant
coaches, director of basketball operations and director of player personnel shall be subject to
University policy, based on merit, and recommended by the Athletic Director in consultation
with the Coach and subject to applicable policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary
Education.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The Coach
shall also have the right to select and retain a director of basketball operations with an annual
salary up to $46,500.00 (Forty-Six Thousand Five Hundred and no/100 Dollars) subject to
the approval of the Director of Athletics (not to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance
with the personnel policies of the University. The Coach shall also have the right to select
and retain a Director of Player Personnel with an animal salary up to $38,000.00 (Thirty-
Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars)
subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not
to be unreasonably withheld) and in accordance with the personnel policies of the
University.
If you re-typed this whole thing then good on you and take no offense to what I’m about to point out because this stuff happens on message boards. But if you copy/pasted this from an official document the bolded section above has a WILD typo.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I was just reviewing the David Cox 2018 contract in response to questions in another thread. I came across the section about staff pay and it seems the $425K salary pool may not pertain to non assistant coach support staff. The support staff positions and salary are individually addressed which leads me to think they are separate from the salary pool. This may mean that the $765k salary pool for Archie Miller may just be for his three assistant coaches. Will be something to check out when his contract is made public.

5.0 Support Staff:
5.1 The Coach shall have the right to select and retain three (3) assistant men's
basketball coaches who shall be paid on the bi-weekly payroll subject to the same payroll
deductions and the same benefits that apply to the University's non-academic administrative
Dollars) (the "Salary Pool") will be used for the salaries of the assistant coaches. The Coach
Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars) subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not
University. In addition, Coach shall have the right to select and retain a full time graduate
assistant for the men's basketball program in accordance with applicable University policies
and collective bargaining agreement. Any increase in income or salary for the assistant
coaches, director of basketball operations and director of player personnel shall be subject to
University policy, based on merit, and recommended by the Athletic Director in consultation
with the Coach and subject to applicable policies of the RI Council on Postsecondary
Education.
Golocalprov.com has an article written in their usual negative vain toward URI a couple of days ago that supposedly has Archie's contract..
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I want the PDF, dammit!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good stuff, RF. You all never cease to bring it!

GoLocalprov can go pound sand.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago I was just reviewing the David Cox 2018 contract in response to questions in another thread. I came across the section about staff pay and it seems the $425K salary pool may not pertain to non assistant coach support staff. The support staff positions and salary are individually addressed which leads me to think they are separate from the salary pool. This may mean that the $765k salary pool for Archie Miller may just be for his three assistant coaches. Will be something to check out when his contract is made public.

5.0 Support Staff:
Education.
Golocalprov.com has an article written in their usual negative vain toward URI a couple of days ago that supposedly has Archie's contract..
I only see a small part of the official contract in the article. Article says they had a copy of the official contract and based their report on it.

Articles like these that compare the salary to that of the RI Governor, Professors at URI, etc are not fair when they don’t refer to the market for Basketball Head Coaches. These Coaches don’t have tenure like Professors do, the contacts are relatively short term.

And if comparing to Governor, Professors, David Cox, etc why not compare to the Ed Cooley who makes $3.4 million per year in a CFL contract that for sure will be re-negotiated up in a few weeks? Or to UMASS looking at $1.5 to $1.8 million for their next HC, or to Dan Hurley who is much higher than Miller is getting?

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/in-d ... r-state-co
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OK people, Bill Koch already reported the staff pool covers the 3 full assistants and 3 other full time staff.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 097919001/

Also, Attached is the FULL Contract from a good friend.

Archie Miller Contract March 2022.pdf
(316.24 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The Coach
Eight Thousand and no/100 Dollars)
subject to the approval of the Director of Athletics (not
University.
If you re-typed this whole thing then good on you and take no offense to what I’m about to point out because this stuff happens on message boards. But if you copy/pasted this from an official document the bolded section above has a WILD typo.

It was a cut and paste job from a pdf file. I checked the original again and it was annual as it appears it somehow got translated wrong.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Miller contract specifies the $765k is for ALL the staff (6 positions):

5.0 Support Staff:
5.1 Consistent with University policies, t he Coach shall have the right to select,
manage, terminate and retain three (3) full time assistant men’s basketball coaches and three (3)
other full time staff members, who shall be paid on the bi-weekly payroll subject to the same
payroll deductions and the same benefits that apply to the University’s non-academic
administrative employees. A salary pool of $765,000.00 (Seven Hundred Sixty-Five Thousand
and no/100 Dollars) will be used for the salaries for these positions. These positions shall
receive the same salary increases and be subject to the same criteria that apply to the University’s
non-academic employees. In consultation with the Director of Athletics, Coach shall have the
right to determine the distribution of the salary pool.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interestingly, the Miller contract does add a dollar for dollar buyout offset for subsequent new employment if he were to be terminated. Hopefully, this will never be a concern. It seems that URI is getting smarter with its contract as new things get added with each new hire. Up until Hurley, I do not think that coaches ever had to paid URI a buyout if they made the decision to terminate and go elsewhere.

From Section 6.6.1
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the University's obligations under this Section 6.6.1 shall be reduced on a dollar-for-dollar basis (but
not below zero), by the amount, if any, of fees, salary, bonus, or wages that the Coach earns from
a subsequent basketball-related employer (including those arising from self-employment) at any
point in time prior to the End Date as defined in Section 2.0. The Coach shall make good faith
efforts at securing such subsequent basketball-related employment following termination.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Take this with a grain of salt based on the source:

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He's not currently listed online. But I assume its a formality until its confirmed.

https://gorhody.com/404-1.aspx?url=%2fs ... staff%3d20
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI_05 wrote: 2 years ago Take this with a grain of salt based on the source:

Hmmm in Arch we trust I guess ?? I’m sure Austin being on Sean’s staff meant a lot. I would hope he’s the 3rd assistant??
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Hmmm in Arch we trust I guess ?? I’m sure Austin being on Sean’s staff meant a lot. I would hope he’s the 3rd assistant??
Sources say he’s going to be water boy.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I had heard this. Somewhat expected given his relationship with Sean.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Is Carroll a recruiter?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago

Sources say he’s going to be water boy.
Like Adam Sandler?
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who has Carroll developed? Who has he recruited?

At least we should have plenty of money in the bonus pool left over for some real impact assistants.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
Isn't everyone in the portal?
1 x