Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by reef »

Tyson Wheeler ? Or is he not known for his recruiting?
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 1 month ago Tyson Wheeler ? Or is he not known for his recruiting?
Reef, I like the thought of Tyson on the staff. I am not versed enough in his coaching career and his strengths and weaknesses as an assistant to offer an answer to your important 2nd question above.

Hopefully those more knowledgeable in Tysons strengths and weaknesses will come along and shed some light.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
adam914 wrote: 1 month ago This is the latest I saw on the Georgetown situation today. Either way, I assume Archie has already started the process of looking in to replacements if needed.

Thanks for the post, Adam.

Sounds like Cooley will piss off a powerbroker or two whatever he decides.

Any thoughts from KB on a potential replacement or, on where we should look for one or, on preferred higherarchy of traits (experience, prep connections, AAU connections geographic focus, etc) ?

Is it possible some names resurface from when Archie was hired ?
How about we just get PM back into the fold?
He's probably making more than our entire assistant pool put together.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Again,

The only way you get Wheeler here is as HC. I mean why would he?

I wish it was possible but Miller isn’t going to turn up the temperature on his own potential hot seat.

Stop with the Wheeler fantasy. PM fantasy too.

( if I’m wrong plz bring Lilly with you Tyson 😆)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Again,

I wish it was possible but Miller isn’t going to turn up the temperature on his own potential hot seat.

Yes, the back to the future doesn’t do it for.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

PM 2year contract $450,000/year
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 month ago Again,

What does Brown pay assistant coaches? $75-$80k a year? And URI just what, says let's pay him $2M a year to be HC? Cmon.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Wheeler wouldn’t get $2m as URI HC. He’d probably be lucky to get $750k as a first time head coach here.

But I’m getting ahead of myself…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Brace for impact..
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

it will be a farce if we lose hammond...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 3 weeks ago
So when will URI have an announcement on their new assistant coach?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and how their game changer recruit will never don a jersey...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 weeks ago and how their game changer recruit will never don a jersey...
We'll see. Hopefully he and Archie have already built a relationship.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

true.. i will remain positive - seems to be the cornerstone player we desperately are hoping for
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

Per the Georgetown board, there are also rumblings around Preston Murphy, which would make sense in the context of the post-Final Four announcement.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t think they’re talking about KJ. Otherwise why would they wait to announce it? It’s probably a coach of a FF team.

That said, again, Hammond and his coaches have talked about Archie Miller as a main reason for coming to URI.

Also, with how overbearing and involved Georgetown boosters are - do you think they’re going to throw significant NIL money at a player who will be 3rd on their PG depth chart?

Hammond is a priority for URI. He has significant playing time ahead of him here.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If Georgetown wanted KJ, it seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't just get it done by now and have him in the fold. Like at this point, he's missed a couple weeks of recruiting. Why wait until after the Final Four to hire someone unless it is an assistant on one of the remaining teams? Providence's last game in 2023 was on March 17, and Cooley was hired on March 20.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

On the other hand, Kenny released a statement about 3 weeks ago regarding Georgetown and hasn't said anything has changed since. Why wouldn't he update and and say he's staying at URI?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

to quote someone i know... "we'll find out when we find out"
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Also, I lean towards the hire not being KJ due to the fact that they are waiting until after the FF.

That said, with all the DMV related politicking that was reported last week, is there another assistant in the FF with DMV connections that could be the hire ? Or, did EC get so frustrated with the DMV politicking that he decided to not hire any and DMV connected assistant and go in another direction ?

Just speculating on a slow day. I have no special insight.

Also, if it was KJ, wouldn’t Archie know by now and why would he agree to a delay in the announcement ? I would think that a delay does not benefit our program.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody09 wrote: 3 weeks ago Per the Georgetown board, there are also rumblings around Preston Murphy, which would make sense in the context of the post-Final Four announcement.
They have a relationship that goes back over 25 years as Cooley was on Skinner's staff in Preston Murphy's second season at URI.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Rhody09 wrote: 3 weeks ago Per the Georgetown board, there are also rumblings around Preston Murphy, which would make sense in the context of the post-Final Four announcement.
They have a relationship that goes back over 25 years as Cooley was on Skinner's staff in Preston Murphy's second season at URI.

Good memory, RF1. I couldn’t remember if that was the case between EC and Preston.

If the PM rumors to GU are true then, it has to be a pretty good jump in pay for Preston given the cost of living around DC compared to Alabama. Happy for PM if that’s the case.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Weren't they both assistants under Skinner at BC?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Good memory, RF1. I couldn’t remember if that was the case between EC and Preston.

If that’s the case, it has to be a pretty good jump in pay for Preston given the cost of living around DC compared to Alabama. Happy for PM if that’s the case.
Murphy has a longterm friendship with Oats as well. They are both from Michigan and the EC and Hurley connection. He did just sign an extension and $ increase with Alabama and they currently are the better program along with P5 money. But again who knows, anything can happen. Also remember many D1 coaches attend the FinalFour and a good place to network. There were lots of HC changes this year and they are trying to fill out their staffs. Possibly KJ can also be in play for other programs as well. I guess we will find out soon, I hope he stays.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 weeks ago
Skinner left BC for Fairfield in 2006. Murphy was at BC under Skinner from 2006 to 2010. They therefore appear to have just missed one another at Chestnut Hill.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 weeks ago
It appears they just missed each other or just barely overlapped, with Cooley leaving for Fairfield in 2006 with Preston going to BC at the same time.

That said, even if there was no direct overlap Cooley would be getting a strong recommendation from Skinner and Tyson Wheeler coached for a bit under Cooley at Fairfield and I'm sure Wheeler would also give a strong recommendation. They've coached in the same circles for a long time
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why would Preston want to go to Georgetown? Doesn't he make big money at Alabama?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Why would Preston want to go to Georgetown? Doesn't he make big money at Alabama?
Cuz T-town is a shithole
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chance to go from Tuscaloosa to Washington DC. Easy access back to Providence where some family members reside.
Go out at top with Alabama in Final 4. Chance to rebuild Georgetown from bottom of NBE. More power to his resume if Georgetown moves higher which is very likely knowing Cooley and the recruiting class he has already brought in for next season.

That assumes it’s Murphy being his target.
Could be an assistant on UConn, NC State or Purdue, OR Cooley is just biding time. Or even from Seton Hall or Indiana State. It’s only till next week he needs to wait until Final 4 is over. With recruiting now players commit all spring and summer. It’s a long process.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

LOL but so is DC 😂
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t think they’re talking about KJ. Otherwise why would they wait to announce it? It’s probably a coach of a FF team.

That said, again, Hammond and his coaches have talked about Archie Miller as a main reason for coming to URI.

Also, with how overbearing and involved Georgetown boosters are - do you think they’re going to throw significant NIL money at a player who will be 3rd on their PG depth chart?

Hammond is a priority for URI. He has significant playing time ahead of him here.
Someone might of said this already but Archie was a smaller guard at NC State, would make sense if he was the lead recruiter.

Also Georgetown fans were saying if KJ were to leave they wouldn’t expect him to come
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago I don’t think they’re talking about KJ. Otherwise why would they wait to announce it? It’s probably a coach of a FF team.

Someone might of said this already but Archie was a smaller guard at NC State, would make sense if he was the lead recruiter.

Also Georgetown fans were saying if KJ were to leave they wouldn’t expect him to come
Yeah literally during the broadcast they talked about how he connected he is with Archie because of the small PG thing. How they clicked immediately and all that.

That and KJ is still tweeting stuff about him coming to URI? Hard to worry that much.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 weeks ago

If that’s the case, it has to be a pretty good jump in pay for Preston given the cost of living around DC compared to Alabama. Happy for PM if that’s the case.
Murphy has a longterm friendship with Oats as well. They are both from Michigan and the EC and Hurley connection. He did just sign an extension and $ increase with Alabama and they currently are the better program along with P5 money. But again who knows, anything can happen. Also remember many D1 coaches attend the FinalFour and a good place to network. There were lots of HC changes this year and they are trying to fill out their staffs. Possibly KJ can also be in play for other programs as well. I guess we will find out soon, I hope he stays.
Very good perspective, Jersey. Your’s is much broader than mine since I just focused on GU. But, like you insightfully posted, there are other jobs out there where his name could come up as new HC’s look to fill out their staff’s.

No rest for the weary. :D

Good stuff.
1 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago LOL but so is DC 😂
Not quite
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Makes sense 96-97 Cooley was an assistant @ URI and P Murph was a sophomore

We lost to Purdue in a heartbreaker in round 1
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I asked a guy who covers Georgetown who said a couple of weeks ago that he was confirming that Kenny was getting the assistant job there if he is still confirming it today. He said yes, he is standing by his story.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

to quote someone i know... "we'll find out when we find out"
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If he was going to GTown it would have been announced by now, why would they wait to announce if it's a done deal?

Doesn't make sense.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

If you’ve got dough DC is excellent, especially around Georgetown.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 weeks ago If you’ve got dough DC is excellent, especially around Georgetown.
You haven't been keeping up lately.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rders.html
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Doesn't matter how much sense you make here. Someone already claimed that losing KJ is top 3 worst personnel losses all time here at URI....HC included
3 x
Ramfan22
ARD

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 weeks ago

Doesn't matter how much sense you make here. Someone already claimed that losing KJ is top 3 worst personnel losses all time here at URI....HC included
Georgetown fans were making fun of whoever said that, and how everyone on here was overreacting.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago If Georgetown wanted KJ, it seems bizarre to me that they wouldn't just get it done by now and have him in the fold. Like at this point, he's missed a couple weeks of recruiting. Why wait until after the Final Four to hire someone unless it is an assistant on one of the remaining teams? Providence's last game in 2023 was on March 17, and Cooley was hired on March 20.
because it's not him?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 weeks ago LOL but so is DC 😂
right...like, totally different, but still a toss-up?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Recruiting is all about the size of the bag.

The old ways of developing a relationship with a recruit is deader than a doornail.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Georgetown fans were making fun of whoever said that, and how everyone on here was overreacting.
People here overreacting? Never! :lol:
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Wait someone actually said that?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Yep gonna needs linky on that one….
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately…
0 x