Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by McRam »

RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago True, he makes almost $5,000 a week for a job he has blatantly abandoned. Please reimburse us to our NIL fund…we really need it.
If he is really working for Cooley and we are still paying him, shame on us. Working for someone else while on our payroll, is terms for immediate termination. Duh!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago
RIFan wrote: 2 weeks ago True, he makes almost $5,000 a week for a job he has blatantly abandoned. Please reimburse us to our NIL fund…we really need it.
If he is really working for Cooley and we are still paying him, shame on us. Working for someone else while on our payroll, is terms for immediate termination. Duh!
As I've said before happens all the time. No one complained that Sutton was here for weeks while getting paid by Pitt.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 weeks ago
As I've said before happens all the time. No one complained that Sutton was here for weeks while getting paid by Pitt.
Ok, if it happens all the time, my only question is WHY would we put up with it.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

i think people did. i thought there was an effort to change the law to allow hiring open coaching positions before the end of the fiscal year after it was too late?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, who's coach is working for us for free?...
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Has there ever, ‘round this next of the woods, been more about nothin for an assistant coach?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Exactly. And is everyone going to demand that we pay whatever school our new coach comes from to?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago

Exactly. And is everyone going to demand that we pay whatever school our new coach comes from to?
Well, it doesn't appear that we have a new coach during this critical time involving the portal. Instead, we're paying a guy to recruit elite players to another school. If it's true that Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown for a month, as Joe says, we've been short handed in probably the most critical month of building a team.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago
Well, it doesn't appear that we have a new coach during this critical time involving the portal. Instead, we're paying a guy to recruit elite players to another school. If it's true that Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown for a month, as Joe says, we've been short handed in probably the most critical month of building a team.
I'm confident that if we need a new assistant coach then we have one in place already.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm confident that if we need a new assistant coach then we have one in place already.
Well, Diggy Coit, the player everyone in here seems to want, is being recruited by Christen Cunningham. He's also recruiting Manyawu.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, Diggy Coit, the player everyone in here seems to want, is being recruited by Christen Cunningham. He's also recruiting Manyawu.
That's cool, I hope he lands him!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That's cool, I hope he lands him!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, they definitely have been talking to potential replacements for a few weeks. IDK if this is still true, but the rumor was our top choice had a good player that they felt confident would be coming with him if we hired him. Apparently, it was a player that hasn't even transferred yet. I'm not sure if I believe that because I was 100% convinced we would be landing Jaquan Sanders from Seton Hall last year after multiple people claimed it was happening, and he never left Seton Hall. However, that was likely due to a lack of $$... Which is a problem that should be fixed this offseason, but based on our recent offers, maybe not.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Isn’t Cunningham the least experienced assistant coach on our staff and is somehow our lead recruiter? If this is the case, what does it say about Archie?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago Isn’t Cunningham the least experienced assistant coach on our staff and is somehow our lead recruiter? If this is the case, what does it say about Archie?
I don't see any reason to believe Cunningham is our lead recruiter.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago Isn’t Cunningham the least experienced assistant coach on our staff and is somehow our lead recruiter? If this is the case, what does it say about Archie?
It’s because the other assistants have definitely learned not to follow the guys they’re recruiting
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramfan22 wrote: 2 weeks ago
It’s because the other assistants have definitely learned not to follow the guys they’re recruiting
Kenny and Duane both have.
0 x
3mm's
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by 3mm's »

What does our longest asst. do. Austin C. seems to only receive a paycheck. No kid from New England has been mentioned and that is his area. Maybe it is time to replace him or at least hear that he is talking to recruits.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

I’ve looked and Duane hasn’t followed any transfers this off-season, Kenny has but it’s guy we have no chance at.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I’ve looked and Duane hasn’t followed any transfers this off-season, Kenny has but it’s guy we have no chance at.
Yeah, Ballo. He is recruiting him, but it's not for URI. Duane is following high school kids like Jasiah Jervis, Julien Kabori and Brandon Lee.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think we're reading way too much in to twitter followers. It can be a good indication of guys we might be recruiting but I wouldn't read much more in to it then that. When it comes to transfers, I would guess that Archie is the lead recruit in most cases, especially for the top targets.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago I think we're reading way too much in to twitter followers. It can be a good indication of guys we might be recruiting but I wouldn't read much more in to it then that. When it comes to transfers, I would guess that Archie is the lead recruit in most cases, especially for the top targets.
Yeah and it's hard to tell if it's just because they know each other.

The ones that we have followed could just be a small handful of the actual candidates.

I'm guessing we will just randomly see commitments pop up like last year.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 weeks ago
adam914 wrote: 2 weeks ago I think we're reading way too much in to twitter followers. It can be a good indication of guys we might be recruiting but I wouldn't read much more in to it then that. When it comes to transfers, I would guess that Archie is the lead recruit in most cases, especially for the top targets.
Yeah and it's hard to tell if it's just because they know each other.

The ones that we have followed could just be a small handful of the actual candidates.

I'm guessing we will just randomly see commitments pop up like last year.
Agree 100% on this
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm hoping Archie isn't the lead recruiter. He doesn't possess the best people's skills. Once someone is on campus and Archie just has to talk basketball, I think he'd be good though.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

We will find out really soon if our recruiting process works or if it is dysfunctional!

If KJ is really working for Georgetown now and we do not have his replacement working for us now, that is dysfunctional!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 2 weeks ago We will find out really soon if our recruiting process works or if it is dysfunctional!

If KJ is really working for Georgetown now and we do not have his replacement working for us now, that is dysfunctional!
100%. If Kenny has been recruiting for Georgetown for a month, we should have had a new coach recruiting for us for a month, especially during this critical time of building a team.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm hoping Archie isn't the lead recruiter. He doesn't possess the best people's skills. Once someone is on campus and Archie just has to talk basketball, I think he'd be good though.
Hammond's coach speaks highly of Archie and how he sold Hammond on his vision for him.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 weeks ago I'm hoping Archie isn't the lead recruiter. He doesn't possess the best people's skills. Once someone is on campus and Archie just has to talk basketball, I think he'd be good though.
Hammond's coach speaks highly of Archie and how he sold Hammond on his vision for him.
Yeah just because he doesn't like talking to media people doesn't mean he can't relate to basketball players.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Once Kenny got him on campus. That's kind of my point.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah just because he doesn't like talking to media people doesn't mean he can't relate to basketball players.
He definitely can, when he's talking about basketball.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We don't know whether he can relate on a human level with these guys or not. He doesn't appear to be a narcissist or anything. I think he's a thoughtful guy just based on the level on empathy he seemed to have when talking about his players this year.

I'm sure he's plenty good at connecting with players, but obviously he's not all that charismatic like Dan Hurley, Calipari, Bruce Pearl or someone like that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We don't know whether he can relate on a human level with these guys or not. He doesn't appear to be a narcissist or anything. I think he's a thoughtful guy just based on the level on empathy he seemed to have when talking about his players this year.

I'm sure he's plenty good at connecting with players, but obviously he's not all that charismatic like Dan Hurley, Calipari, Bruce Pearl or someone like that.
I've talked to Archie a few times. He's approachable and answered every question I had. He just seems reserved. Maybe he's introverted? Nothing wrong with that at all. Seems like a good guy to me. He just needs to get this show on the road. He's got a good basketball mind obviously. But the kids that came in so far are just not willing to fight for the wins. Not sure if it's the coach, or the kids.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The kids
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks agoThe kids
I think we are brining back the right group and the transfers we bring in need to fit it in a way that keeps our team from having the absurd meltdowns they experienced last year.

Following the 3 game win streak with those debacles at St Bona and Dayton still puzzle me. Totally absurd how they totally collapsed and had zero fight after they had just pulled themselves out of a slump and won 4 games in a row.

It was like uh guys, why tf did you give up on yourselves so damn easily? Should've given them anti-depressants at halftime.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think we are brining back the right group and the transfers we bring in need to fit it in a way that keeps our team from having the absurd meltdowns they experienced last year.

Following the 3 game win streak with those debacles at St Bona and Dayton still puzzle me. Totally absurd how they totally collapsed and had zero fight after they had just pulled themselves out of a slump and won 4 games in a row.

It was like uh guys, why tf did you give up on yourselves so damn easily? Should've given them anti-depressants at halftime.
They sure didn’t need sleeping pills!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

They sure didn’t need sleeping pills!
I went with PRT meant that the fans needed anti-depressants as I am pretty sure it was before 105 started Rhody Rehab. :D
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Better bring your bricks - that always was stupid anyways
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At least it’s over.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

If Hammond leaves then that might be the final straw
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looking forward to seeing who the replacement is!
3 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Keep moving forward. They definitely knew about this for awhile and it is what it is. There’s always a bigger fish…at least we’re due for news this week.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks ago If Hammond leaves then that might be the final straw
I'm with you on that.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I don’t remember. Do we have to post the assistant coach position ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 weeks ago If Hammond leaves then that might be the final straw
I'm with you on that.
Rhody Rehab gearing up for a surge, 24x7.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Vault had the news also , he probably claims he broke the news
1 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

cRAM4finals wrote: 2 months ago You can’t instill attitude and desire through coaching if it isn’t burning somewhere inside a player. Assistants who help bring talented players with the right attitude are essential. Once it’s more than two or more players who have it - it might even be infectious. Yup. I’m going here. I understand that you get what you can afford when creating a staff of recruiting assistants, but my point is that maybe much of the blame is on Archie - not because of his coaching - but because of his selection and management of his recruiting operations.
These were my thoughts from almost 2 months ago.

I’m thinking that Archie figured this out, and KJ finding his way to Georgetown was a mutually acceptable way forward. I actually am excited to see what and who happens next. Bringing in any percentage of moderately talented malcontents certainly wasn’t a solid recruiting strategy.

Let’s do this. Go Rhody.
3 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Someone tell Archie to update his social media
https://www.instagram.com/archie_miller ... BiNWFlZA==
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Agree. He is by the far the best guy he brought here. Someone that has the talent to get them out of this doldrums. Most of the players were busts or average at best players like House or Luis that Kenny brought here. There was no building the bricks one at a time or whatever he said
0 x