Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistants under Coach Miller 2022-23

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

I had a long conversation with him in Daytona and I was very impressed.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
Isn't everyone in the portal?
I do agree with you Stevey about Austin.
I also spoke with him in Daytona and he was very personable and loaded with enthusiasm.
And yes the fact that Sean probably gave Archie a glowing endorsement about him says a lot.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago Austin spent five years at a big-time program in Arizona.

Extremely knowledgeable about the game but what I really liked was his energy. He told me about his experience when he was a part of the coaching staff at the FIBA world championships in 2019 with Sean. He also gave me a great breakdown of how he scouted BC and teams, in general. He came off as someone that will work his ass off for our program.

I think Archie is making a great move keeping someone that knows our current players and program well. He's not going to be our top assistant..

Congrats Austin!!
Nope not everyone. We also have players that can come back. Regardless, he clearly left an impression with Sean Miller who I trust. I also trust Archie.

I felt like Austin was by far the most vocal coach on our sidelines all season. I'm completely fine with him being our 3rd assistant.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Congrats Austin!!
I also spoke with him in Daytona and he was very personable and loaded with enthusiasm.
And yes the fact that Sean probably gave Archie a glowing endorsement about him says a lot.
But he's not a recruiter. So, what will he contribute?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Congrats Austin!!
Yes, other than that :lol: .... Sounds like the dude has a good enough attitude. Go get 'em (fill in name of whoever Arch picks here) !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

None of us can really answer that, because we aren't involved with all the goings on of the team.

Not sure I totally agree with you on him not being a recruiter.
He is still very young and developing connections.
He has spent time on the road recruiting and not sure how much leg work he does in identifying talent.

I trust Archie's judgement on him and probably the advice of Sean who worked with him and promoted him.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Austin’s salary cannot be too exorbitant . Would leave a lot of room for the other 2 assistants.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Oh, idk. Basketball stuff? Recruiting is obviously important because you need players but it isn’t the entirety of the job. Scouting opponents, skill development, set and concept installation, etc., are all important also. I don’t know if I’d love a staff of 3 Carrolls but I’m certainly good with one.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

None of us can really answer that, because we aren't involved with all the goings on of the team.

He has spent time on the road recruiting and not sure how much leg work he does in identifying talent.

I trust Archie's judgement on him and probably the advice of Sean who worked with him and promoted him.
Sean promoted him to assistant director of operations in 2016.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sean promoted him to assistant director of operations in 2016.
Okay, I know that.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Congrats Austin!!
Yes, other than that :lol: .... Sounds like the dude has a good enough attitude. Go get 'em (fill in name of whoever Arch picks here) !
I don't get what's funny here. Our two most important pieces (the twins) are not in the portal and all of our players left the option to come back. So I think it's a great idea to keep someone familiar with our remaining players and program around.

Explain why it's a bad idea to keep a young, hungry assistant who worked with his brother for five years? I have no idea if he can recruit or not. Neither do you.. I know he cares about his players. For example, I saw him working with AB on the beach the morning of the game. I also saw him in the weight room at the hotel with some of the players every day. Assistants that go the extra mile with developing players and scouting/watching game tape matter.

I genuinely don't understand why some of you find something negative about literally everything..
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

I’m 110% with you. I talked to Austin at the Season Ticket Holder event of his first season. I was impressed from day 1. Also a couple times including last summer. He is smart, well spoken and hard working. Also talked with his dad before and was very impressed. His Dad really knows basketball. Only reason we got Austin to URI from Arizona was his dad’s health situation and kudos to David Cox in his managing that staffing move. I agree that Austin will provide excellent insight regarding current players. We know from Scott Brand’s recent podcast with Sebastian Thomas that Austin was the contact with Bassy during recruiting - Bassy said that in the interview.

Congrats to Austin. And for me I see this as a positive, impressive move by Archie - imho. Austin has a lot of potential and Archie can be a Head coach who can develop that potential. Love the hire.
Totally agree!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago Austin’s salary cannot be too exorbitant . Would leave a lot of room for the other 2 assistants.
He makes $102,500 according to the state website:

http://www.transparency.ri.gov/payroll/verify_prep.php

So bump him up to $105,000 both to figure guys staying will get a slight raise and for wiggle room for this exercise. Ryan McCloskey makes $55,000 as special assistant to the head coach, so we'll bump him up to $56,500. So now you're down to $603,500 for two assistants and two more support staff members. If you figure that the other support staff members will clock in around what McCloskey is making, now you're looking at around $490,500 for your last two assistants
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago Austin’s salary cannot be too exorbitant . Would leave a lot of room for the other 2 assistants.
I think this is a good point.

Plus, you can't have three number 1 assistants, so keeping Carroll on as someone to give you some insight on how things have worked at URI over the past few seasons and who has a connection with the current players couldn't hurt. And there is clearly a level of trust there from past connections. It makes a lot of sense to me if it ends up being true.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

I don't get what's funny here. Our two most important pieces (the twins) are not in the portal and all of our players left the option to come back. So I think it's a great idea to keep someone familiar with our remaining players and program around.

Explain why it's a bad idea to keep a young, hungry assistant who worked with his brother for five years? I have no idea if he can recruit or not. Neither do you.. I know he cares about his players. For example, I saw him working with AB on the beach the morning of the game. I also saw him in the weight room at the hotel with some of the players every day. Assistants that go the extra mile with developing players and scouting/watching game tape matter.

I genuinely don't understand why some of you find something negative about literally everything..
Well for one, Nate Brafford. A 2* recruit. I believe Jersey77 said that is Austin's recruit. Is that his claim to fame? When he get's a 4* recruit let me know. This isn't a feel good story about patting a friend on the back and giving him a job. We just paid nearly $10M for a coach. Maybe the kid is good, prove it. Get me 4* recruits.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

FWIW, Austin recruited and offered Sebastian Thomas
0 x
Common sense is not common.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm not finding it negative, I just thought it was funny because most of the players are in the portal. My position's pretty clear, whoever Arch hires, including this guy, is perfect. Your description makes him seem like a good dude, nothing negative...

Speaking of the portal...when you say "left the option to come back", they can't just say nevermind portal, I'm back to Rhody, the coach has to offer a scholarship all over again, right?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well for one, Nate Brafford. A 2* recruit. I believe Jersey77 said that is Austin's recruit. Is that his claim to fame? When he get's a 4* recruit let me know. This isn't a feel good story about patting a friend on the back and giving him a job. We just paid nearly $10M for a coach. Maybe the kid is good, prove it. Get me 4* recruits.
Blueram again Austin won't be our main guy.
He is still very young and obviously willing to put in all the hard work to grow with the job.

We don't have the salary pool to hire 3 top guys.
I am very comfortable with Archie retaining him.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not finding it negative, I just thought it was funny because most of the players are in the portal. My position's pretty clear, whoever Arch hires, including this guy, is perfect. Your description makes him seem like a good dude, nothing negative...

Speaking of the portal...when you say "left the option to come back", they can't just say nevermind portal, I'm back to Rhody, the coach has to offer a scholarship all over again, right?
I believe that's correct. Every URI player in the portal would have to be recruited here by Archie Miller. Good luck.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blueram again Austin won't be our main guy.
He is still very young and obviously willing to put in all the hard work to grow with the job.

We don't have the salary pool to hire 3 top guys.
I am very comfortable with Archie retaining him.
TBH I don't care who Arch hires. He knows what needs to happen.
7 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago I'm not finding it negative, I just thought it was funny because most of the players are in the portal. My position's pretty clear, whoever Arch hires, including this guy, is perfect. Your description makes him seem like a good dude, nothing negative...

I believe that's correct. Every URI player in the portal would have to be recruited here by Archie Miller. Good luck.
Exactly. Which is why the whole need to say, "leaving open return to Rhody" seems strange. And stranger that it actually seems to carry weight with people.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Case for Austin Carroll:

- knows our program/school

- knows current conference personnel (players and coaches)

- cost effective (not about being Rhody Cheap, but being able to target and allocate a larger share of the pool to higher tier and more expensive coaches to fill out the staff)

- hard worker, ambitious, basketball IQ (per reports, I cannot offer an opinion on this)

- trusted (presumably, based on prior experience with Sean)

- Archie apparently wanted him on his staff

Case against Carroll:

- was not able to secure 5* recruits to join a clearly sinking ship in his second full year as an assistant coach when much of the relevant recruiting period took place during a pandemic when travel and in-person recruiting were limited (????)
20 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Exactly. Which is why the whole need to say, "leaving open return to Rhody" seems strange. And stranger that it actually seems to carry weight with people.

I was wondering this myself and happy to see this answer

I saw Eff them honestly

I thought it was a stupid move entering before knowing the coach

It seemed to be a power move when it didn’t need to be

So whatever - see ya - if Archie wants them back then that’s on Archie but I am not losing sleep

I rather have Archie get his players/recruits anyways
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Honeymoon is over as fans question hiring of #3 assistant.
12 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Honeymoon is over as fans question hiring of #3 assistant.
Yup.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Honeymoon is over as fans question hiring of #3 assistant.
*few, minority of uninformed message board posters.

Fans have faith in the head coach.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

I have faith. Doesn't mean I can't question things.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

It’s very clear Coach Miller has high expectations for himself and the program. I would think Arch had a long discussion(s) with Carroll and laid out clear expectations, goals, responsibilities. And, I’m sure Coach made it clear that there will be accountability.

That said, if he’s good with Austin on the staff, who am I to question it?

I get it that Austin is a holdover from an unsuccessful staff but that doesn’t automatically translate as confirmation for poor future performance. With the type of head coaches slated to be in the conference, Archie will need all hands on deck and doing their best. I’m confident he’s on top of things.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Sure, but your faith is wavering, blueram. Now, drink this nice Keaney blue colored koolaid like me. Ahhhhhhh 🤣
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

Sure, but your faith is wavering, blueram. Now, drink this nice Keaney blue colored koolaid like me. Ahhhhhhh 🤣
where is Xcrun12 or whatever it was when you need him?
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

In the end, it's the head coach that matters. David Cox could have had John Wooden, Dean Smith and Bobby Knight on his staff and it wouldn't have made a difference.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

where is Xcrun12 or whatever it was when you need him?
My apologies if I offended you, blueram. My joke was a poor attempt at levity and I piled on.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats Austin!!
steveystuds06,

Awesome news sounds like a decent 3rd assistant and I’m sure Arch will get a nice 1 and 2
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Keep in mind he played in the Big East/Patriot League along with playing in the New England prep league. Between playing there, and his dad's connections, he is well known by high school/AAU/prep school coaches. Add in his familiarity with scouting in the conference and players (that are left), I don't see how someone could be against this IF Archie is comfortable with him.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Austin Carroll hired by David Cox- typical cost saving measure, was only here originally because of the tricky situation with his dad

Austin Carroll retained by Archie Miller- just a solid basketball move, thrilled by his skill set and potential

I’m not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C’MON! :)
And yes, I know, you trust Archie. It’s still funny.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin Carroll hired by David Cox- typical cost saving measure, was only here originally because of the tricky situation with his dad

Austin Carroll retained by Archie Miller- just a solid basketball move, thrilled by his skill set and potential

I’m not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C’MON! :)
I find it difficult to criticize an assistant coach hire. From the outside looking in, we have no idea what type of relationship the head coach has with the assistant coach, and what type of relationship the assistant coach has with the players. If a coach isn't comfortable with an assistant, it is a recipe for disaster. Which is why I find it kind of funny when someone throws out names of who they would want to come in and be an assistant. Most coaches at this level rarely are hiring someone unless they know them personally, or someone that they are am close to and trusts knows them personally and makes a recommendation.
7 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It’s pretty common for the new coaching staff to retain at least one of the assistants. Dan kept Preston. One of Archie’s assistants was retained at Indiana. It’s common.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Bos8 wrote: 2 years ago Keep in mind he played in the Big East/Patriot League along with playing in the New England prep league. Between playing there, and his dad's connections, he is well known by high school/AAU/prep school coaches. Add in his familiarity with scouting in the conference and players (that are left), I don't see how someone could be against this IF Archie is comfortable with him.
Sounds like a very solid hire/retention. It also should be cost effective. I have no Ide a what type of recruiter or how good he is. But I agree with Bos about NE connections. Also, when he is recruiting now he will be selling Archie's name, which is a major difference than pitching Cox , with all due respect to David.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys. Does anyone know where the Austin Carroll micd up on Twitter thread is?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 2 years ago Austin Carroll hired by David Cox- typical cost saving measure, was only here originally because of the tricky situation with his dad

I'm not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C'MON! :)
And yes, I know, you trust Archie. It's still funny.
I never said that. I went to every single home game and a handful of away games this season. My season tickets give me access to watch our bench. I mentioned that I felt Bozeman lacked any energy and seemed disinterested many times on here. I also said that Austin and TJ seemed to be the only two coaches with the player's ear and seemed laser-focused each game. They were the only two I would have wanted to come back from this previous coaching staff as the 3rd assistant....

Archie Miller has nothing to do with my opinion of Austin, but I do trust his judgment.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, Austin recruited and offered Sebastian Thomas
Austin was the lead recruiter for Ishmael El-Amin
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago FWIW, Austin recruited and offered Sebastian Thomas
I thought he has no recruiting ability and brings nothing to the table? Weird...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm not going to give a lot of mental energy to what is likely the third assistant of an A10 team but C'MON! :)
And yes, I know, you trust Archie. It's still funny.
I never said that. I went to every single home game and a handful of away games this season. My season tickets give me access to watch our bench. I mentioned that I felt Bozeman lacked any energy and seemed disinterested many times on here. I also said that Austin and TJ seemed to be the only two coaches with the player's ear and seemed laser-focused each game. They were the only two I would have wanted to come back from this previous coaching staff as the 3rd assistant....

Archie Miller has nothing to do with my opinion of Austin, but I do trust his judgment.
Agree steveystuds06,

I watch the bench activity a lot and agree with your statement. You do not see the bench activity on streaming, but at the game you can see the assistant coaches and their interaction (or lack thereof) with the players and the HC. Austin always seems positive, displays energy and interest. He was consistent throughout the win streaks and the losing streaks. Never sulked. I'd want him on my side heading into battle.

I'm not big on speculating and recruiting coaches. I think that is 100% up to Archie Miller. If I can't trust Archie at this point to hire a strong staff then I don't even know why I hired him. I'm sure he interviewed all the current Coaches and staff, talked to the players 1 on 1, talked to people within the program and likely got good feedback on Austin. I'm not at all surprised. I
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I thought he has no recruiting ability and brings nothing to the table? Weird...
This board changes direction more often than the wind lol.

I’m completely in the camp of trust Archie, and could care less if that means retaining Austin or someone else.

But I don’t think we should be bragging about his recruiting chops because he got us the Providence kid with no offers and the MAC transfer who's production dropped by 60% in the A10.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

I’m completely in the camp of trust Archie, and could care less if that means retaining Austin or someone else.

But I don’t think we should be bragging about his recruiting chops because he got us the Providence kid with no offers and the MAC transfer who's production dropped by 60% in the A10.
You are contradicting yourself.

1st you completely trust Archie, then you question the bragging that took place. Obvious you don't care for the hire. Which is fine.

It's really the Head Coach that steers the recruiting ship. Success or failure in recruiting freshmen and the all important Portal is with the HC at the end of the day.
Last edited by ramster 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

No one is bragging. Blueram said he has no recruiting ability so I made a sarcastic comment.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It seems like ages ago that Bozeman was going to be our tactical wizard to shore up end-of-game decisions.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Austin was recruiting kids to come and play for David Cox. Now he's recruiting them to come and play for Archie Miller. That's the first big difference. Austin's ties are New England. How many New England kids did we even offer the past few years? We know Cox's main focus was on the DMV area. And I'm sure Austin would have had to get approval to offer anyone from Cox. Archie said how important it will be to recruit New England kids along with the entire East coast. I think we'll begin to see a lot more New England kids getting offers in the near future with Austin being the lead recruiter, and I'm thrilled about that.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

1st you completely trust Archie, then you question the bragging that took place. Obvious you don't care for the hire. Which is fine.

It's really the Head Coach that steers the recruiting ship. Success or failure in recruiting freshmen and the all important Portal is with the HC at the end of the day.
No, I don’t mind the hire at all. But my point is Austin isn’t some proven recruiter. Im taking a shot in the dark that Archie didn’t hire him for that reason
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No, I don’t mind the hire at all. But my point is Austin isn’t some proven recruiter. Im taking a shot in the dark that Archie didn’t hire him for that reason
Nobody said he was a proven recruiter. Somebody asked who he has recruited. So one poster said Thomas which was clear from the recent Thomas podcast and it was reported in an article he was the lead for El-Amin.

Usually who the lead recruiters are is not reported. Do maybe he was involved in more.

Yo me it’s kinda funny to see such apprehension for Archie’s 1st decision.
3 x